PDA

View Full Version : All Is Not Neccessarily Well In IRL Fan Land.......................

RaceChic
04-22-03, 08:29 PM
Link (http://66.223.17.243/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=025815) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Railbird
04-22-03, 09:13 PM
.12 rating for CART's premiere event.

Things are not well in openwheel.

JSR
04-22-03, 09:26 PM
Well it is a good thing I said something positive about CART drivers. I'd hate to give anyone here something to call me out on. ;)

RTKar
04-22-03, 10:12 PM
I have to agree with Racing Truth on the TF link. Maybe all of us no matter what our allegiance should just stop caring, maybe the powers that be would realize how bad they've screwed things up, come together and get open wheel racing back on the road and in the right direction............................whatever the heck that is .:confused:

Kate
04-23-03, 07:20 AM
If we had just surrendered to Tony George years ago, you mean, everything in the garden would now be lovely.

Good thing there are still plenty of sports car races in case that day ever happens. Unlike some, when I said I would never follow the Invisibles, I meant it. And if the day came when that was all the OWR there was, well then I would be gone from their data base too.

cart7
04-23-03, 09:00 AM
The few spinners left at TF are forming a tighter circle around the irl flag at 16th and Georgetown. Oh that's right, I forgot the thread where everyone was b*tchin about the lack of irl merchandise at the speedway museum. Seems you can't get a irl flag. Most merchandise was Brickyard stuff. :laugh: :gomer:

Kate
04-23-03, 12:19 PM
The only flag that outfit needs is a white flag. Perhaps they can borrow one from the French.

pchall
04-23-03, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Kate
The only flag that outfit needs is a white flag. Perhaps they can borrow one from the French.

The French and the IMS/IRL have a lot in common. Apparently Ray Harroun borrowed a really neat idea used by the French Army at Sedan in order to run from defeat in the first 500. ;)

JLMannin
04-23-03, 12:35 PM
There will never be compromise in open wheel racing as long as Tony George is in control of IMS. He is beyond always being right, beyond never been wrong. TG beleives that he is incapable of being wrong. He cannot be reasoned with.

I do believe that open wheel will not die in the meantime - it will outlive TG. By that time, it may be as obscure as jet dragsters or powerboat racing.

Thanks for fixing open wheel racing, Clabber Boy.

oddlycalm
04-24-03, 05:09 AM
If you stop using the term open wheel you will feel better almost right away. If you use the term formula car even people outside of this ever shrinking community of diehards will actually know what you're talking about. The only time I ever hear that term, outside of seeing it used relentlessly on a few obscure net forums, is around people that are focused on the IMS. Most folks at any other motorsport event either won't know what your talking about, or will look at you like your from Mars. Overseas it gets worse.

I'm really not trying to rag on the fine folk that post here, just making the point that we all help a little to create this little desert island we're on.... an island that seems to be moving away from other motorsports. I was very happy to hear Pook talk about closer ties with the SCCA, where formula cars are referred to as just that.

Maybe it's time we let the IRL have the Indycentric terminology, hokey traditions and all the rest of the hollow baggage, and just move on?

oc

Kate
04-24-03, 07:22 AM
Good idea -- I don't understand why everyone seems to be obsessing about that bunch of losers who seem to crash their cars every time they take them out.

I don't watch the Invisible Racing League and never will. So what they call their cars is immaterial to me.