PDA

View Full Version : I duno about this...

pchall
12-01-06, 11:32 AM
Brian Barnhart Q&A in the Star

Q: The season doesn't start until March, but there are no more than 16 cars at the moment.

A: We've got conversations with four to six people that have potential of fielding teams, including one that was here before (Larry Cahill trying to assemble a package for female sports car driver Milka Duno).

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061201/SPORTS01/612010428/1052

That has to be the scariest thing I've read lately.

Spicoli
12-01-06, 11:45 AM
meltdown on aisle 220.

the rest of the article is hilarious. they are so depsperate they are lying to each other.

check dumba$$ barnfart's math,. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
12-01-06, 11:50 AM
Milka Duno? Oh joy. She couldn't even run a Grandam car competitively. How is she going to at 217 in an open wheel car on an oval. I hope she doesn't hurt anyone or herself. (Paul Dana RIP)

Last year the gimmick was retired drivers, an aging rock star and a condom wearing dirt (bag) driver.

This year its a gimmick girl driver funded with Venezuelian oil money.

Andrew Longman
12-01-06, 11:54 AM
I think you could see Rahal Letterman Racing go back to a third car if the right situation develops,

And what would be the right situation?

and I could see Vision Racing with a third and A.J. Foyt Racing with a second.

Oh I see. Tonybucks

And you can't give up on Fernandez Racing.

Translation: We'll spend what we need to.

Cam
12-01-06, 11:59 AM
Amazing the spin at this point just projecting a pathetic number of cars for the start of the season. Imagine how sad May is gonna look? :shakehead

NismoZ
12-01-06, 12:06 PM
Sad, hell! It's gonna be great! May 20th, Zhuhai, China...to quote from one of my favorite flics, The Steel Helmet..."There's a MILLION of 'em I tell ya, a MILLION of 'em!!":thumbup:

Andrew Longman
12-01-06, 12:12 PM
Things will be fine in May. From somewhere else...

As of this time last year......(for all the doom and gloomers)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For all of you so concerned with car counts for the 2007 IRL season, here is what was going on at this time last year (early December of 2005):

-Vision still only had 1 car
-Panther was going to be sold to Pat Patrick or closed down permanently
-AGR hadn't announced who was going to drive Wheldon's old ride
-Cheever hadn't announced anything
-Dreyer and Reinbold hadn't announced anything
-Hemelgarn hadn't announced anything
-Foyt hadn't announced anything
-Toyota was still in the series (at least for a few more days)
-Rahal hadn't announced their 3rd team (or even announced there would even be a 3rd car)

-Robin was reporting that Porky Page would replace Todd Harris in the booth

-The 'usual suspects' were talking about potential 16 car fields for the IRL in 2006. They "just couldn't see where anymore cars were going to come from".

-Michael Andretti, Al Unser Jr and Eddie Cheever were retired from Indy-car racing

Folks, there is still A LOT of time until March. A LOT of things will come together (just like they do EVERY year). Patience is needed.

Wally
12-01-06, 01:12 PM
Time to roll out the proverbial Bagdad Bob foto.......:shakehead

dando
12-01-06, 01:56 PM
Time to roll out the proverbial Bagdad Bob foto.......:shakehead

http://dunamai.com/Humor/BagdadBob/images/bagdad_bob_large.gif

:D

Q: What can you do to get Sarah Fisher in a car full time next season?
A: I don't know if the league can have much input on that. We can't force teams to do things. If we had a sponsor to give a team, maybe we would. Those are the kind of challenges we face. :shakehead

-Kevin

theunions
12-01-06, 02:11 PM
Milka Duno? Oh joy.

I'm sure many would prefer Cahill bring Beechler back. :D

oddlycalm
12-01-06, 03:19 PM
Every year it gets a little worse. Last year TG fielded more than a third of the cars on the grid at his race, this year my prediction is that he'll be fielding half or more or them.

After a one year ratings bump for Danicamania in the popular press it's back to the same moribund situation where nobody outside of central Indiana cares. The only thing that would change that, and then only for a season or two, would be to have the princess win the race. That being the case, look for the princess to get the call....:tony:

oc

Elmo T
12-01-06, 03:34 PM
It is just beyond me that they are running new venues. :shakehead What is the attraction? I know it isn't a new thought, but every now and then I get jolted by the idiocy over there.

Spicoli
12-01-06, 03:39 PM
Every year it gets a little worse. Last year TG fielded more than a third of the cars on the grid at his race, this year my prediction is that he'll be fielding half or more or them.

After a one year ratings bump for Danicamania in the popular press it's back to the same moribund situation where nobody outside of central Indiana cares. .........................oc

Sir :laugh: , why on earth does everyone outside of Central Indiana think that people inside of Central Indiana care? The apathy is worse now than ever before. Thinkaboutit - Sam won. Dialed in. Penske. America. king of the Gomers. WIN.

Still didn't change anything. Crappy ratings, nonexistant crowd outside of race day. Nobody can name more than about 3 dribers, etc etc etc.....:\

People here - just like everywhere - could GAF.:cry:

Thanks again! Tony!:flame:

cameraman
12-01-06, 06:28 PM
(Larry Cahill trying to assemble a package for female sports car driver Milka Duno) She could not keep a consistent line at Miller Motorsport Park last summer to save her life. There is no way she should ever be in an IRL sled.

matthole
12-01-06, 09:16 PM
I am shocked that you people are doubting Brian Braindead! Shocked I say!

How soon you forget this pronouncement, which of course turned out exactly like he said it would:

Thursday, October 31

Infield, pit road could be cramped
ESPN.com news services

INDIANAPOLIS -- While the increasing number of drivers and teams set to compete in the IRL next season is certainly construed as a positive, the growth of the field is presenting some logistical problems for the league.

In 2002, an average of 25 cars competed in every IRL race. The league expects upwards of 30 cars attempting to qualify for IRL races in 2003, and that could create spacing problems.

"This is just a logistical issue," said Brian Barnhart, senior vice president of operations for the Indy Racing League. "Having more cars means more quality cars and more depth in the field."

Each of the more than 30 cars that would potentially attempt to qualify, starting with the season opener March 2, 2003 at Homestead-Miami Speedway, would have one transporter at each race, as would the seven manufacturers and the league itself, giving Barnhart and his staff nearly 40 transporters to park on a race weekend.

"At some racetracks, the facility just isn't as large as it is at others," Barnhart said. "Some of the older places don't have enough room for them. From a garage standpoint and a transporter-parking standpoint, we have a very full and tight paddock situation. That just makes it difficult from a logistical standpoint."

Pit road is also an issue that Barnhart and his staff are quickly looking to address. All but one track at which the IRL will compete in 2003, Twin Ring Motegi in Japan, plays host to either a NASCAR Winston Cup or Busch Series event, which sometimes requires 43 pit spaces that are normally 28-29 feet long, Barnhart said. However, Indy Racing League pit boxes are required to be a minimum of 36 feet long, partly due to the league's fueling system differing from that of NASCAR.

Barnhart said one solution being considered for shorter tracks is the possibility of two cars sharing one pit box.

"I've seen it done in NASCAR successfully, and we are looking at the pros and cons," Barnhart said. "We've been looking at each track on an individual basis. John Lewis (director of operations for the IRL) has CAD/CAM drawings of all the racetracks and all of the pit roads, and we're trying to figure out what we can do to accommodate more cars in the garage area, paddock-wise as well on pit road."

While finding a way to find space for all of the teams and cars in the infield and on pit road is a challenge, Barnhart refuses to call it a problem.

"This is a sign of growth, momentum and excellence."

http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2002/1031/1453873.html

:rofl: :tony: :shakehead

As for any idiot that goes earling, I'm out of sympathy for em. :irked:

Spicoli
12-02-06, 01:11 AM
nice one matty.

fred wants a copy.:laugh:

cart7
12-02-06, 10:51 PM
I think you could see Rahal Letterman Racing go back to a third car if the right situation develops,

and I could see Vision Racing with a third and A.J. Foyt Racing with a second.

And you can't give up on Fernandez Racing.

:laugh:

Reminds me of this kiddie show when I was young called "Romper Room." The host, Miss Lois would look into her magic mirror, a hand held mirror with no glass in it and see her audience that couldn't be there.

"And I see little Timmy who has a cold, and I see Debby and Monica who are on vacation and Richie who couldn't come because he's had the runs." :tony:

Rob
12-02-06, 11:13 PM
Larry Cahill trying to assemble a package for female sports car driver Milka Duno.

That has to be the scariest thing I've read lately.

But just imagine the marketing possibilities if they had Milka in victory lane at Indy! :gomer:

pchall
12-03-06, 10:55 AM
But just imagine the marketing possibilities if they had Milka in victory lane at Indy! :gomer:

:tony: there are so many things I could post...

Fio1
12-04-06, 12:13 AM
Milka Dunno can't even run competively in Skip Barber (she still does races here and there) forget about grand-am. The funny thing about Milka is that she got worse (slower) from 2005 to 2006 in DP. The team was completely puzzled as to why? :rolleyes:

Milka Dunno in IRL at Texas for example is a accident waiting to happen. She will kill somebody.....:thumdown:

TravelGal
12-04-06, 12:37 AM
Sir :laugh: , why on earth does everyone outside of Central Indiana think that people inside of Central Indiana care? The apathy is worse now than ever before.

Keen observation. Never really thought about it what way.

Might be good to have Milka. Would make it too dangerous for spectators to attend races. Flying cars and all that.