PDA

View Full Version : Merry Christmas to me! Test Drive part II

RaceGrrl
11-30-06, 05:10 PM
Last Saturday was a gorgeous sunny day. Richard and I went for the last test drive before I decided which car to buy. First stop was the Audi dealership. Once again, I was disappointed by the mushy clutch and the acceleration, even with the turbocharger. However, the A4 is great on the freeway and I really liked that it was more practical. A nice, refined ride.

Then we went to the Mazda dealership for one last drive of the 6. As soon as I stepped on the accelerator to turn onto the freeway my mind was made up. The A4 may be refined, but I'm not that grown up yet, I guess. The Speed6's kick in the pants ride was what sold the car.

Bottom line- the A4 made me :) , but the Mazdaspeed6 made me :D . So... we traded in the SVT and I have a nice, shiny red car for Christmas. Now I just have to be very careful not to rack up the points on my license.

http://www.skipressworld.com/images/daily_news/2005/12/ski%20press%20-%20mazda.jpg

Joelski
11-30-06, 05:14 PM
Good for you, Missy. Enjoy!

rabbit
11-30-06, 05:19 PM
Sweet ride. But how is the sound system? ;)

dando
11-30-06, 05:27 PM
Congrats! Does it have a good vanity mirror? ;) Please tell me you dint buy from Fred. :yuck:

-Kevin

nissan gtp
11-30-06, 05:28 PM
awesome, that's a great car :thumbup:

get an Atlantics sticker for the back

RaceGrrl
11-30-06, 05:48 PM
Champ Car sticker was on the window when we drove it off the lot. :)

Don Quixote
11-30-06, 06:57 PM
Good choice, and congrats! :)

nrc
11-30-06, 07:03 PM
Congrats! Does it have a good vanity mirror? ;) Please tell me you dint buy from Fred. :yuck:

They were the only place around with a nail polish red GT. It's not worth moving stock around for the price we're asking. We've dealt with them before. You just have to know the price you're looking to get and then say no to all the stupid stuff they want to sell you.

dando
11-30-06, 07:33 PM
They were the only place around with a nail polish red GT. It's not worth moving stock around for the price we're asking. We've dealt with them before. You just have to know the price you're looking to get and then say no to all the stupid stuff they want to sell you.

Well, I hope ya took a shower afterwards. ;)

-Kevin

emjaya
11-30-06, 07:34 PM
Nice. :thumbup: :)

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-06, 07:41 PM
:thumbup:

Now come autocrossing with me next year at the events I run in Columbus. Seriously.

RaceGrrl
11-30-06, 08:40 PM
Ummm. No thanks. Seriously.

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-06, 08:48 PM
You might as well just change your user name to "Grrl" then. ;)

RaceGrrl
11-30-06, 08:53 PM
No, it's just that autocrossing isn't real racing. :p :D

Sean O'Gorman
11-30-06, 08:55 PM
I know Solo only comes one minute at a time, but what an intense, non-stop, fast-forward car control exercise minute it is. Sure, the velocity is higher in road racing, but inside the car it is slow-motion in comparison. In Solo, the turns come like machine-gun rounds.

I think he knows a thing or two about racing.

If you and Richard come out to an OVR SCCA event next year, I'll pay for both of your entries. I guarantee you'll have fun.

rabbit
11-30-06, 11:28 PM
I haven't autocrossed competitively (yet), but I did some at Mid-Ohio's High Performance Driving School and enjoyed the heck out of myself. It is both difficult and exhilarating. I'm hoping to start competing next summer, but not in the car I'm driving now.

Gnam
12-01-06, 02:36 AM
You just have to know the price you're looking to get and then say no to all the stupid stuff they want to sell you.
Were you able to negotiate a lower price due to the fake AWD? ;)

One passed me the other day, and I involuntarily turned around to watch it drive by. Nice motor.

chop456
12-01-06, 02:51 AM
Congrats, Missy. Nice wheels. :thumbup:

I haven't autocrossed competitively (yet), but I did some at Mid-Ohio's High Performance Driving School and enjoyed the heck out of myself. It is both difficult and exhilarating. I'm hoping to start competing next summer, but not in the car I'm driving now.

I want to go there and have Scott Harrington teach me how to drink beer. I mean, I'm good, but he's a convicted professional. :tony:

nrc
12-01-06, 03:43 AM
I think he knows a thing or two about racing.

If you and Richard come out to an OVR SCCA event next year, I'll pay for both of your entries. I guarantee you'll have fun.

I don't think we're going to be voiding any manufacturer warranties, but who knows, maybe if the Miata is in any kind of shape at that point...

Napoleon
12-01-06, 06:48 AM
I have heard good things about the Mazda and have thought about looking at if I buy something new this year.

SteveH
12-01-06, 01:26 PM
Nice car, Missy. Very nice car. Well made, good value. I want to try a Speed6 to see howmuch different it is compared to my wife's 2004 6s. :thumbup:

Anteater
12-01-06, 07:13 PM
Congrats on the new baby! :cool:

oddlycalm
12-02-06, 04:45 AM
Well, it's no Oldmobile Custom Cruiser wagon, but I guess it'll do. ;) Enjoy the new ride Missy. :thumbup:

oc

nz_climber
12-02-06, 06:32 AM
Congrats! Does it have a good vanity mirror? ;)

-Kevin

its not the vanity mirror thats going be the problem, the wing mirrors on the other hand, they just not going to work.....:p

dando
12-02-06, 02:50 PM
its not the vanity mirror thats going be the problem, the wing mirrors on the other hand, they just not going to work.....:p

Oh, you just had to go there, flyboy. ;)

-Kevin

RaceGrrl
12-16-06, 02:01 PM
Well, I've had my new car exactly three weeks and this morning I got my first ticket.

It was just outside a construction zone, right before the speed limit changes back to normal, apparently. I was distracted because I was stuck behind a van in the left lane and as soon as I'd cleared the construction zone (or so I thought) I hit the gas to pass him. The trooper says he clocked me at 76 in a 55. Normally, that would be a $300 ticket. Instead he ticketed me for 68 in a 55 non-construction zone, which is $130. I told him that I'd only had the car for a couple of weeks and was still getting used to how quickly I get power under acceleration. He said, "Well it's a Mazdaspeed. Nice car, is it too fast for you?" I said, "Nope, but the name's appropriate today." He laughed, told me to drive carefully and walked away.

Merry Christmas to me, indeed. :irked: :)

Opposite Lock
12-16-06, 03:20 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup: :)

Sean O'Gorman
12-16-06, 06:23 PM
Well, I've had my new car exactly three weeks and this morning I got my first ticket.

It was just outside a construction zone, right before the speed limit changes back to normal, apparently. I was distracted because I was stuck behind a van in the left lane and as soon as I'd cleared the construction zone (or so I thought) I hit the gas to pass him. The trooper says he clocked me at 76 in a 55. Normally, that would be a $300 ticket. Instead he ticketed me for 68 in a 55 non-construction zone, which is $130. I told him that I'd only had the car for a couple of weeks and was still getting used to how quickly I get power under acceleration. He said, "Well it's a Mazdaspeed. Nice car, is it too fast for you?" I said, "Nope, but the name's appropriate today." He laughed, told me to drive carefully and walked away.

Merry Christmas to me, indeed. :irked: :)

Were you coming from the Polaris mall? Every time I'm in Columbus I see people getting nailed by the cops in the construction zone there.

RaceGrrl
12-17-06, 03:17 AM
Nope, 270 Northbound, right before the Westerville exit.

Gnam
12-18-06, 02:47 PM
Cops love red cars. They make good examples pulled over on the side of the road for everyone else to see. At least he wasn't a prick.

Can you re-gift it?

RichK
12-18-06, 03:13 PM
Great car choice! My co-worker just let me drive his brand new Speed3, which really impressed me. It's got to be the best value for $23,000 out there.

I'd do as you did and get the '6. Congrats!

RaceGrrl
12-18-06, 03:23 PM
I drive that section of freeway every day to work and have never seen a cop there. It was 1/4 of a mile before the 'End Construction' sign, but past the work area and the orange barrels. I'm not too upset about it because it could have been much more expensive and at least he wasn't a jerk about it.