PDA

View Full Version : Moreno Breaks Lap Record!

NismoZ
11-30-06, 09:26 AM
ChampCar was in Zhuhai, China today introducing themselves and the new DP01. Roberto cruised around for a few laps and lowered the record (V-6 F-Renault) by about 7 seconds! Hope it all works out...May 20th.:)

ferrarigod
11-30-06, 09:47 AM
good god. renaults are slow! beaten by vaporware.

Andrew Longman
11-30-06, 10:21 AM
KK just wasting more of his money shipping his prototype around the world to promote a race that will never happen and that will never be missed by American race fans.

And the real mayor sends his vice mayor to the debut? Must not be very important to them.

Great! This will just speed up the demise of CC.:gomer:

Insomniac
11-30-06, 10:41 AM
KK just wasting more of his money shipping his prototype around the world to promote a race that will never happen and that will never be missed by American race fans.

And the real mayor sends his vice mayor to the debut? Must not be very important to them.

Great! This will just speed up the demise of CC.:gomer:

Not to mention in a car that will never turn a real lap...

Andrew Longman
11-30-06, 10:48 AM
I find it surprising and interesting that there was no advance notice of this (unless I missed it).

Just like the TV deal, this was kept tightly wrapped (unlike the Rusport thing which I guess is a team deal, not a series deal)

Good PR move. Don't steal you own thunder, never disappoint

Spicoli
11-30-06, 11:01 AM
Gomer meltdown?:rofl:

Oh, you betcha!:tony:

KLang
11-30-06, 11:09 AM
I find it surprising and interesting that there was no advance notice of this (unless I missed it).

Just like the TV deal, this was kept tightly wrapped (unlike the Rusport thing which I guess is a team deal, not a series deal)

I don't recall where but I did read someplace in the last week that the Champ Car brass were going to China. It did not say anything about the DP01 going along as well. Checked backage?

KLang
11-30-06, 11:12 AM
http://www.parcferme.com/images/stories/news/ccws_launch_01.jpg

Spicoli
11-30-06, 11:16 AM
I loves that car. :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
11-30-06, 11:17 AM

It's cold in Alaska, communication slows during the winters.

NismoZ
11-30-06, 11:52 AM
Hey, any more rumors about Roberto wanting to race one in '07?:)

Ozarkian
11-30-06, 12:04 PM
good god. renaults are slow! beaten by vaporware.

Yep. Just shows you can do anything with computers these days ...

scorpion
11-30-06, 01:27 PM
I loves that car. :thumbup:

Ditto!:)

ferrarigod
11-30-06, 01:39 PM
Why do we have Memo Moreno do this?

Why can't Jimmy Bly Vasser, or someone who's a retiree or 'Murican test this thing. Not a current driver, Joe Tanto's need not apply.

G.
11-30-06, 02:17 PM
Why do we have Memo Moreno do this?

Why can't Jimmy Bly Vasser, or someone who's a retiree or 'Murican test this thing. Not a current driver, Joe Tanto's need not apply.PKVasser would have an edge over the other teams in setup next year, real or perceived.

'Course, won't matter once NH gets their DP01 traction control up and running.

ChampcarShark
11-30-06, 02:25 PM

OMG, and they had a crowd bigger than any irl race... :eek:

The end is near :gomer:

Andrew Longman
11-30-06, 02:53 PM
More or about the same press there than at the I500 Times Square thingy http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2005/ind/irl-2005-ind-tm-1402.jpg

Racing Truth
11-30-06, 08:48 PM

:thumbup: It is a sweet car.

Anyone got a trackmap of Zhuhai?

cameraman
11-30-06, 09:00 PM
It is too huge a picture to display here:

http://www.zic.com.cn/zicen/about/map.asp

It is a Tilke track

Zhuhai International Circuit, the first permanent motor racing circuit in China, was completed in November 1996, just in time to host the first International Race on this Formula 1 standard circuit in China’s history.

With the approval of the FIA (FEDERATION INTERNATIONALE DE L'AUTOMOBILE) the 4.3 km long Formula 1 standard Zhuhai International Circuit has since become the Heart of Motor Sport in Asia.

* The main design consultant for Zhuhai International Circuit was Chinatrack Consultant Ltd., a consortium that includes Kinhill Engineering (now known as Halliburton KBR) in Australia, who designed and acted as project management for the Adelaide F1 Circuit. In 1999, circuit upgrading designed by renowned F1 circuit designer Tilke GmbH was carried out.
* Zhuhai International Circuit offers challenging corners for spectacular overtaking maneuvers to world class drivers: the clockwise direction circuit has 4 left turns, 10 right turns, 2 straights of 900m and 500m each.
* The design of ZIC incorporates the latest in regulations and specifications for both Formula 1 and 500cc Motorcycle Grand Prix racing approved by both the FIA and the FIM.
* The 900 metre long main straight, as well as another straight in excess of 500 metres followed by sweeping corners offer a top speed of over 300 kph.
* Track width: 12 m and 14 m for the pit straight.

Boatdesigner
11-30-06, 09:10 PM
I don't know what the scale of that map is, but it looks like a 180-200mph front straight. It also looks like there could be a few good passing zones. This could be a good event. Lets hope it isn't being run by the same people who were doing Korea!

I read today that Bridgestone's new F1 tire will be 3 seconds a lap slower than last year. I wonder if the DP01 will be almost as fast, for 10's (100's?) of millions less? Too bad they won't be going back to Montreal so we could get a direct comparison. I won't put much faith in those rumors of a race at that famous Belgian track, but it would be cooool!:D

I'm getting excited about next year already.

Oops! You were editing while I was typing (it takes me a while, only two fingers!)

devilmaster
11-30-06, 10:04 PM
http://www.zic.com.cn/pic/CCWS/champcar07.jpg

http://www.zic.com.cn/pic/CCWS/moreno01.jpg

a couple more shots found at the track's website.

Ruben Barrios
12-01-06, 12:06 AM
There should be a rule, every single car in the grid must have silver as part of their color scheme...

jcollins28
12-01-06, 12:43 AM
I think Joe Tanto would have been a great choice. He could have should everyone that neat coin trick during the demo laps.

TravelGal
12-02-06, 12:21 AM
Anyone want to go? I work sometimes with a company owned by Hong Kong Chinese. I was chatting about the new race and the controller nearly flipped. He's been to that track he says. He can get airfare deals he says. Oh yeah? I says. :\

Spicoli
12-02-06, 01:03 AM
Anyone want to go? I work sometimes with a company owned by Hong Kong Chinese. I was chatting about the new race and the controller nearly flipped. He's been to that track he says. He can get airfare deals he says. Oh yeah? I says. :\

How much?

I just sued somebody, and I think its gonna work out pretty good. :laugh:

* do kids fly free? :confused:

NismoZ
12-02-06, 08:53 AM
Boatguy...the race is being organized by the Houston Grand Prix people.:thumbup:

Boatdesigner
12-02-06, 02:51 PM
Sounds good.:D

NismoZ
12-02-06, 04:36 PM
And THIS! Roberto says, "I never would have agreed to be the test driver for the DP01 if it would have precluded me from landing a Champcar ride in '07. I would like to drive again and I think I can still get the job done." Gelles Racing? PUPO, PUPO!:)

TravelGal
12-03-06, 12:19 AM
How much?

I just sued somebody, and I think its gonna work out pretty good. :laugh:

* do kids fly free? :confused:

Depends if you're the kid. :D

I've got the info at home. Right now I'm visiting TravelMom. You'll remember that she lives in Tampa. That's how I got to the Pier Hotel for the St. Pete race (when it actually was a race).