PDA

View Full Version : Athens 08'

Trevor Longman
11-28-06, 08:04 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/34162/

Yes I know it's an Atlantics article but in the first paragraph it says Athens is projected for 08'. Great news even if it is a street race.

Oh and great news about the greek driver as well.

Racing Truth
11-28-06, 08:09 PM
Oh happy day.

:tony:

Cam
11-28-06, 08:24 PM
Athens or Assens? Trevor are you getting confused? :D ;)

cameraman
11-28-06, 08:39 PM
"The Greek Champ Car Project"

:confused:

Racing Truth
11-28-06, 08:41 PM

Article says Athens.

I, for one, am thrilled. A street race in Athens that will be tape-delayed. And the SCENERY! Don't forget the scenery!

:tony:

coolhand
11-28-06, 09:21 PM
The Indy car fans in Athens will be thrilled

extramundane
11-28-06, 09:35 PM

Not as much as the beach volleyball fans.

RusH
11-28-06, 10:14 PM

...and the Gyro becomes the new fast food in the midwest.:tony:

ferrarigod
11-28-06, 10:41 PM

Since we no longer have ch!p we have plenty of left over plates we can throw around.

dando
11-28-06, 11:49 PM
Opa! :D

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
11-29-06, 12:58 AM
Just so you know... Trev's mom is Greek.;)

redmist
11-29-06, 01:03 AM

" my big fat greek three day festival of speed" :)

indyfan31
11-29-06, 02:14 AM
This should be interesting, the streets of Athens are screwed up beyond belief, they'd have to resurface the entire course. Add to that the fact that local vendors don't like to have their businesses interupted, they get grumpy when the streets are closed for the Athens Marathon, and that's just half a day.

That said, it'd be cool to watch if it came true. :)

stroker
11-29-06, 10:29 AM
Just heard something about the gathering momentum in the Olympic Committee to make Athens the permanent home of The Games. This might be part of an overall to increase traffic to Athens to generate some revenue to pay for all those stadiums...

ferrarigod
11-29-06, 10:48 AM
Serioulsy, no one would show up. they couldn't get people for the summer olympics, I doubt a Champ Car race would garner more attention.

file this one under: notagonnahappeninopolous.

Andrew Longman
11-29-06, 11:44 AM
Serioulsy, no one would show up. they couldn't get people for the summer olympics, I doubt a Champ Car race would garner more attention.

file this one under: notagonnahappeninopolous.

The Europeans I know vacation a lot in Greece. Its a short cheap warm getaway for people across Europe. But they don't go to Athens. Aside from the antiquities (and with all apologies to my in-laws) Athens is mostly a dirty, crowded, worn out city. Most tourists head to the lsles to sail or sun and resort type destinations are beginning to become more developed. I don't know what possibilities there are, but I see a lot better chance with an event such as Surfers put on in the Greek Isles than something in Athens. I might even get my wife to a race that way:D

pchall
11-29-06, 11:53 AM

nevermind... :p

devilmaster
11-29-06, 12:36 PM
This might be part of an overall to increase traffic to Athens to generate some revenue to pay for all those stadiums...

Have they finished them yet? ;)

I'm kinda bummed about this. All this talk about Athens and no word about Malta?!? :irked:

ferrarigod
11-29-06, 12:41 PM
What happened to Cancun?

CMH has a direct flight to Cancun weekly. It would be Buckeye heaven if we could get just one of these 'resorts' to commit.

I'd rather race in East Timor.

NismoZ
11-29-06, 02:45 PM
A couple of weeks ago I saw a (the?) proposed track layout at the airport along the coast. Not a street race, as such. Looks fast and interesting. 2.51 mi. already paved, just haul in the stands and line it with concrete (and cones:D ). I wonder if this means 3 Eurorounds for '08, then?

indyfan31
11-29-06, 04:21 PM
A couple of weeks ago I saw a (the?) proposed track layout at the airport along the coast. Not a street race, as such. Looks fast and interesting. 2.51 mi. already paved, just haul in the stands and line it with concrete (and cones:D ). I wonder if this means 3 Eurorounds for '08, then?

Hadn't even thought of that. The airport isn't in use anymore (at least not for commercial flights), they've been "thinking" of converting the area to a sports complex, and it's within 4 or 5 miles of downtown Athens. Lots of hotels and a limitless supply of restaurants.

NismoZ
11-29-06, 04:32 PM
Yep. Pretty sure that's what CC was thinking.:)

Racing Truth
11-29-06, 08:07 PM
I'd rather race in East Timor.

Heck with that ****. I want Beirut!:tony: :tony: H=ll, it even comes with angry, I'm sorry, "excitable" mobs and fireworks!:gomer:

Dr. Corkski
11-29-06, 08:28 PM
Heck with that ****. I want Beirut!:tony: :tony: H=ll, it even comes with angry, I'm sorry, "excitable" mobs and fireworks!:gomer:And they will have local favorite Graham Rahal to root for. :gomer:

Racing Truth
11-30-06, 08:59 PM
See what I mean about the crowds! (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/30/AR2006113000606.html) They'd come to us, provided we promised pro and/or anti-Syrian protest. Imagine the possible 3-day numbers!:gomer: And, given Lebanon's coastal location, you guessed it, Beach Volleyball!:tony:

OK, I'm done now. In seriousness, if the Athens course is an airport course, then I'm OK with it, though I don't want to wear that out either.

PS: If this were a geopolitical place, I'd comment on the absurdity of Leb. Christian leader Aoun allying himself with Shia Hezbollah. But since it isn't, I'll leave it at that.:)