PDA

View Full Version : Roomba

nrc
11-27-06, 04:23 PM
Anyone else have one? I've often wondered whether they were worthwhile but didn't want to spend the money to find out. We found a good Black Friday deal that made it worth trying.

Initial impression: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

There's a little effort involved in getting all the cords out of the way, but I was impressed with the results. You could probably do a better job with your vacuum in one pass if you worked at it, but the idea is that because it's effortless you can run the Roomba more frequently than you'd vacuum.

Andrew Longman
11-27-06, 04:35 PM
I have friend that has one. He does everything the simplest, easiest way regardless of results. He loves it.

My wife just made me buy her a $500 Dyson. You have to use it but golly-jeez what amazing results!

JoeBob
11-27-06, 05:27 PM
I got one when they first came out a few years ago. It is pretty cool, but it takes FOREVER to do a room. It seems like it is programmed to bounce off the walls enough times that it can't possibly have missed anything. It also got a bit annoying prepping the room for Roomba to do its thing, and I found it remarkably short on power for cleaning carpets. (Hardwood floors, on the other hand were just fine)

Eventually, enough pet hair got caught around the wheels that it had a hard time turning, and I got sick of trying to get it all out after every run. The old vacuum came out, and has been doing just fine.

Stu
11-27-06, 06:00 PM
i heard it sucks on the stairs.

nrc
11-27-06, 06:23 PM
I got one when they first came out a few years ago. It is pretty cool, but it takes FOREVER to do a room. It seems like it is programmed to bounce off the walls enough times that it can't possibly have missed anything. It also got a bit annoying prepping the room for Roomba to do its thing, and I found it remarkably short on power for cleaning carpets. (Hardwood floors, on the other hand were just fine)

It's definitely a "many passes" kind of thing. They've supposedly improved the logic over time. They know to follow walls and they circle around on a particularly dirty areas. I guess I don't care much how long it takes if I can be doing something else.

On prepping the room, I don't think it's anything you wouldn't have to do for a thorough vacuum anyway. Of course you can push something out of the way as you go when you're vacuuming yourself so it's not as evident.

Most of our house is either hardwood or Berber carpet so there aren't any great challenges there. Battery life has supposedly improved in the latest models as well.

Eventually, enough pet hair got caught around the wheels that it had a hard time turning, and I got sick of trying to get it all out after every run. The old vacuum came out, and has been doing just fine.
Pet hair? Short haired dogs rule. :thumbup: They do have models that are specifically aimed at pet owners now. Brushes are easier to clean and critical parts are supposed to be more hair resistant.

Spicoli
11-27-06, 07:00 PM
sounds like a lazy excuse not to sweep the floor.

nrc
11-27-06, 07:41 PM
sounds like a lazy excuse not to sweep the floor.

It is exactly a lazy excuse not to sweep the floor. We also have lazy excuses not to do the dishes, wash the clothes, or walk to work.

Spicoli
11-27-06, 07:54 PM
It is exactly a lazy excuse not to sweep the floor. We also have lazy excuses not to do the dishes, wash the clothes, or walk to work.

I suspect you are a motorsports journalist then. :D

{/Super D]

Sean O'Gorman
11-27-06, 08:34 PM
Shouldn't the wife be posting this? ;)

Andrew Longman
11-27-06, 09:27 PM

Still working on that celibate thing I see. You must be enjoying it. ;)

dando
11-27-06, 11:48 PM
I have friend that has one. He does everything the simplest, easiest way regardless of results. He loves it.

My wife just made me buy her a $500 Dyson. You have to use it but golly-jeez what amazing results!

I second the Dyson. :thumbup: 'cept I got mine as a refurb dealio through Amazon for <$300. :p Ya gotta do the before and after thing with yer old vac to believe the difference. :eek:

-Kevin

nrc
11-28-06, 03:11 AM

Some day you'll realize why you're still handling certain chores yourself.

Ankf00
11-28-06, 03:39 AM
dyson sucks all the dog hair outta my car seat fabric no problemo.

devilmaster
11-28-06, 03:50 AM
dyson sucks all the dog hair outta my car seat fabric no problemo.

Perhaps you need better dates then? :confused:

Insomniac
11-28-06, 12:57 PM
I second the Dyson. :thumbup: 'cept I got mine as a refurb dealio through Amazon for <$300. :p Ya gotta do the before and after thing with yer old vac to believe the difference. :eek:

Isn't that the old vacuum salesman thing? Run the Dyson and then your other one.

Insomniac
11-28-06, 12:59 PM
For the longest time, with the roomba and the automatic lawn mowing one, I never figured out why they didn't have a manual program mode where you would remote control it once and then it would follow the same path over and over. It wuld eliminate the need for sensors to tell them where not to go.

Andrew Longman
11-28-06, 01:50 PM

-Kevin

My wife cried for a Dyson for years. I refused on principle, simply that there is now way any vacuum could be worth that much (and 2X anything else out there)

I came home Target with this bagless Shark POS (well I didn't think it was a POS at the time)

Short cord. Filter constantly clogs. Machine clogs with dog hair and requires repeated disassembly with tools, etc. Motor constantly overheats and shut off for 1 hour minimum.

Couldn't take it (or my wife) anymore so I bent over and paid the money. Amazing machine though. And I second the doghair thing. I had forgotten what color the carpets really were. They even feel better (like new) in bare feet.

racermike
11-28-06, 02:00 PM
I like my Oreck upright

I would part with my TV before than vacuum cleaner (it is the best)

Insomniac
11-28-06, 04:03 PM
We use a Fantom vacuum.

Ankf00
11-28-06, 04:21 PM
Perhaps you need better dates then? :confused:

I know :(

Spicoli
11-28-06, 05:24 PM
I know :(

I'd go for the upright. Didn't you say you fubar'd your handheld?

:D

JLMannin
11-28-06, 10:02 PM
I guess we are into high-end vacuums. We have a Kirby and a Dyson. My wife purchased the Kirby about 15 years ago - I was really pissed at the time. It cost $1000 when a Hoover cost about $200. We made a deal - if the Kirby was still going in ten years, she would say "I told you so" and them be done with it. If the Kirby died before the 10 year was up, I'd tell her "I told you so" and them never discuss it again. My wife got to say it.

In 15 years, we have had to fix it twice - once when the power assist drive broke (my fault, used it improperly) and a second tome to replace the turbine, as it was all beat to hell from all the legos, marbles, rocks, and other crap Kirby ate. Today, it is still going strong. Oh, after year 14, the lightbulb had to be replaced.

We got the Dyson as a gift last year. We use the Kirby downstairs and the Dyson upstairs. The older two kids love using the Dyson so much that they clean their floors to be able to use it (Than alone would be worth ythe $500, even if it was a total piece of crap :) ) Overall, I like the Dyson - we will see if it lasts as long as Kirby.

Joelski
11-29-06, 11:15 AM
Anybody else use a Rainbow? Gay jokes aside, it vaccums the floorboards throught the carpet, never clogs and cleans the air in your home.

http://www.rainbowsystem.com/eng/

This thing was the king along with Kirby and Electrolux. Kind of a pain in the ass to use, uprights are easy.

grungex
11-29-06, 11:34 AM
I tried a friends once, it was rather miraculous in its ability to clean up cat hair. Major pain in the rear to use, however, and ludicrously expensive to boot. The Dyson is much easier.

Joelski
11-29-06, 12:04 PM
Yeah, an attachment for every possible scenario kinda sucks, but if you want clean... Filling the water pan is nothing compared to the walk you have to take to the edge of the property to dump that disgusting ick that comes out of your home! :D

I have a no shoes in the house policy (konichiwa, bitches :D) that kinda hung around since I was a kid, so luckily, I don't have to sweep terribly often. The dust control benefit is definitely worth the cost (mine was free). I use one of these on my new porcelain tile floors, too: https://www.order-ez.net/tvordering/offers.php?ms_id=85&orderezid=1164816143c6367945253d4211d2a6e5c562baf4 36

Lord, we need a race!

Opposite Lock
11-29-06, 01:02 PM
Lord, we need a race!

Then we'll need at least two roombas.

devilmaster
11-29-06, 01:05 PM
Then we'll need at least two roombas.

[groan] :shakehead

Ba-dum-bum.

:D ;)

Ankf00
11-29-06, 04:44 PM
I'd go for the upright. Didn't you say you fubar'd your handheld?

:D

wouldn't know, you never returned it...

http://blogs.chron.com/sciguy/archives/hum116ul.jpeg