PDA

View Full Version : Bubbas Are Fed-Up

SurfaceUnits
11-26-06, 02:52 PM
How dare the France Family destroy what Big Bill created by bowing to the almighty dollar and allowing the Japanese to enter an American Sport?

As we were winding up our weekend in Homestead, I know of several fans of NASCAR who were deciding to wrap up their fandom. They have decided that the “new” NASCAR just isn’t for them any longer, and this was their last year being a fan. It has been a combination of things leading up to this decision they have made: NASCAR becoming too “PC”; drivers being penalized for just saying the wrong thing; taking the rubbin out of racin; the corporation that has become NASCAR losing touch with it’s heritage fan base.

For many, the straw that has slowly broken the camels back is Toyota. It was hard for them to accept the foreign manufacturer coming in as part of the Craftsman Truck Series a few years ago. It was even harder when, two years ago, Toyota got its first Craftsman Truck win. Now, there is a Tundra in the Champions circle, and Camry is making its entry into the Busch and Cup series next year.

What happened, they ask, to Pontiac and Buick? Why can’t the Ford, Chevy and Dodge teams seem to keep up? Why doesn’t NASCAR regulate the amount of money Toyota can spend when starting up these new teams, and keep them more at pace with what the original car companies spend?

Someone I read this weekend on a racing forum stated that to own a foreign car, especially a Japanese car, is un-American and we should pack up and leave the country for paying money to the Japanese. He traces this feeling back to World War two, where he lost a brother to the Japanese. He has had deep felt hatred for them ever since, and feels anyone who pays them a cent should be called un-American and packed off. He feels that if we support the Toyotas we will be adding to the eventual invasion of the USA by Japan, and some day this will lead to Japan taking over the USA. (I think that was being a bit extreme).

I have seen fans that have turned their backs on long standing relationships with their driver because that driver is going to Toyota next year. They have changed their affiliation to a driver of a more American brand. I have some very good friends who are calling it quits next year, and we have agreed to disagree about that. I’ll be watching NASCAR and they will be watching World of Outlaw, Sprints, Midgets or whatever they have at their hometown track.
:gomer:

eiregosod
11-26-06, 05:11 PM
Bubba will watch the 2007 daytona 500 in record numbers.

oddlycalm
11-26-06, 06:29 PM
Those feelings are predictable and you can bet the Frances have taken these inevitable losses into consideration. They also know that the number of bubbas lost pales in comparison to the numbers gained by building those 3/4 mile tracks next to large urban centers in the North.

These folks are 100% right about is that it's only about the money with NASCAR. Like most other 3rd generation rich kids current CEO Brian France has no loyalty to the people that supported the business in it's early days and has no real interest in the business other than using it as a revenue generating machine. He's an amoral insect that is succeeding in killing off the diversity in racing by absorbing drivers, teams and sponsors like a black hole. The end product may be contrived, managed and forgettable but the revenue has grown exponentially in the last decade. :thumdown:

oc

Indy
11-26-06, 07:29 PM
It's the Britney Spears of motorsports. Rich, trashy, and almost completely worthless. I don't agree with the fans' xenophobia, but their feeling that they are being treated like idiots is spot on. It seems that almost every American market has experienced a split between the greedy and power hungry who market schlock to the stupid, and niches with wonderful products, better than ever, marketed to the aware. I sincerely hope that fans of stock cars can someday have series that cater to those who want real racing.

NismoZ
11-26-06, 07:34 PM
They ARE idiots. It's like they KNOW what's about to happen so they're going to be proactive! All the same cars, made in America, slightly different decals...big deal. No need to worry until Sato defects!:)

Bob_S.
11-26-06, 07:36 PM
Just wait until the fly-by for the Daytoner 5 hunnert features Vals and Zeros that dive bomb a bass boat in Lake Lloyd. :gomer:

eiregosod
11-26-06, 07:51 PM
Just wait until the fly-by for the Daytoner 5 hunnert features Vals and Zeros that dive bomb a bass boat in Lake Lloyd. :gomer:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NismoZ
11-26-06, 07:54 PM
"The Daytona 500, Presented by... MITSUBISHI, the same company that brought you the attack on Pearl Harbor!" THEN they can start complaining!

Wabbit
11-26-06, 09:44 PM
But my Honda was build in Ohio.

Elmo T
11-26-06, 10:28 PM
I am sure this news will help... :laugh: :rofl:

NASCAR Targets Europe and China (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15909030/)

emjaya
11-26-06, 10:49 PM
But Nascar believes that Chinese consumers are likely to identify with racing cars that look more like passenger vehicles.

:saywhat:

Nascar would not make its American drivers available for foreign races.

:saywhat: :saywhat: Then why bother?

pchall
11-26-06, 11:36 PM
But Nascar believes that Chinese consumers are likely to identify with racing cars that look more like passenger vehicles.

Introducing NASCAR China 2008!

http://pages.cthome.net/india2/RICKSHAW.jpg

;)

The already controversial NASCAR China RoT

http://www.bangladesh.nu/images/rickshaw.jpg

:tony:

cart7
11-27-06, 07:39 AM

:laugh: The one with the Mercury motor on it I'm sure.

chop456
11-27-06, 08:21 AM
RoT

:laugh:

Andrew Longman
11-27-06, 10:58 AM
I think NASCAR is going to be challenged to reinvent itself... and maybe they didn't need to.

In the last ten years NASCAR has become as much a lifestyle choice and a sport for many fans. Folks threatened, knowingly, admittedly or not, by where US culture is headed flocked to NASCAR in droves. That good-ol-boy, flag waving, God fearing, DE-don't tread on me image is comfortable to those a bit turned off by hip hop, trash talking athletes, globalization, immigration and customer service folks talking in strange accents from strange lands.

NASCAR was a throwback to a simpler time. But moving races out of the Southeast and into Yankee states and (gasp) China and Europe takes away a lot of the reasons people came to NASCAR in the first place.

Maybe NASCAR can sell itself to China, but those folks won't be watching for the same reasons most Americans watch it and they will be losing American fans in the process.

Indy
11-27-06, 11:03 AM
I think NASCAR is going to be challenged to reinvent itself... and maybe they didn't need to.

In the last ten years NASCAR has become as much a lifestyle choice and a sport for many fans. Folks threatened, knowingly, admittedly or not, by where US culture is headed flocked to NASCAR in droves. That good-ol-boy, flag waving, God fearing, DE-don't tread on me image is comfortable to those a bit turned off by hip hop, trash talking athletes, globalization, immigration and customer service folks talking in strange accents from strange lands.

NASCAR was a throwback to a simpler time. But moving races out of the Southeast and into Yankee states and (gasp) China and Europe takes away a lot of the reasons people came to NASCAR in the first place.

Maybe NASCAR can sell itself to China, but those folks won't be watching for the same reasons most Americans watch it and they will be losing American fans in the process.

Very true. The cultural tide has turned against them here, and they will not experience the same congruence elsewhere.

eiregosod
11-27-06, 12:12 PM

I see it more like that NASCAr wants to grow 'stock car" racing in other parts of the world. I guess that NASCAr wants to create small regional based series.

Cant see NASCAr getting anything other than cult-status here. Another bright idea from the guys who sold out their original hardcore fans. I liken NASCAR to be the retarded wilderbeast, always on the move in seach of grener pastures but totally unaware of the river crossing.

Hameroids
11-27-06, 01:08 PM
I see it more like that NASCAr wants to grow 'stock car" racing in other parts of the world. I guess that NASCAr wants to create small regional based series.

Cant see NASCAr getting anything other than cult-status here. Another bright idea from the guys who sold out their original hardcore fans. I liken NASCAR to be the retarded wilderbeast, always on the move in seach of grener pastures but totally unaware of the river crossing.

Think "Urban Cowboy". NASCAR will have jumped the shark before the end of this decade.

eiregosod
11-30-06, 11:34 PM

In the last ten years NASCAR has become as much a lifestyle choice and a sport for many fans.

:thumbup:

lifestyle choice eh. If the lifestyle syndrome is the biggest attraction to NASCAr, then it explains why the racing format has become freeze-dried and why NASCAr gets presented on TV as it does. The Tv coverage does not primarily focus on the race but on the other garb that goes along with it. The TV coverage relies heavily on the heart-string tugging stories, and the advertising of NASCAR-related products.

The commentators don't have much to do. The advertisment breaks are timed so that the 3 guys in the booth don't struggle to find things to say, or to keep them from saying something that people might confuse people. its OK to say that "air gets taken from the wng" and the track bar illustrations, aero push etc.. but everything else is off limits. (I wonder if NASCAR & the TV companies had a meeting to discuss the technical buzzwords, aero push etc was coinded after the year 2000).

I got to see NASCAr over the past few months, half the ads were cut out. The races were easier to follow because of the lack of interruptions. but i found that the commentators were repeating everything they had said previously. Even though the production looks slick , the actual info content has decreased. Not surprising when the lifestyle is more important than the racing.

and, NASCAr is shoved down people's faces. no wonder the ratings are high. Now that the ratings are falling, look for NASCAr to market itslef more aggressively :gomer:

jcollins28
12-01-06, 12:44 AM
It's the Britney Spears of motorsports. Rich, trashy, and almost completely worthless. I don't agree with the fans' xenophobia, but their feeling that they are being treated like idiots is spot on. It seems that almost every American market has experienced a split between the greedy and power hungry who market schlock to the stupid, and niches with wonderful products, better than ever, marketed to the aware. I sincerely hope that fans of stock cars can someday have series that cater to those who want real racing.

So who shows up to Daytona without their panties?

Jervis Tetch 1
12-02-06, 05:35 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: