PDA

View Full Version : Hamilton to McLaren it is

theunions
11-24-06, 12:09 PM
LEWIS HAMILTON JOINS FORMULA 1 WORLD CHAMPION FERNANDO ALONSO AT VODAFONE McLAREN MERCEDES

Friday, 24th November 2006: Long-term McLaren and Mercedes-Benz protégé Lewis Hamilton has been confirmed as a Vodafone McLaren Mercedes racing driver and will make his debut at the opening round of the 2007 Formula 1 World Championship in Australia. 21-year-old Lewis will join World Champion Fernando Alonso racing the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes MP4-22 during the 2007 season with both Pedro de la Rosa and Gary Paffett continuing as test drivers.

The 2006 GP2 Champion, who also dominated the 2005 F3 Euro Series in a Dallara Mercedes winning 15 out of 20 races, will recommence his testing programme and the team’s preparations for the 2007 season next week at the Circuit de Catalunya, Barcelona.

"It's a dream come true," said Lewis. "To be racing in Formula 1 with McLaren has been the ultimate goal for me since I was very young and this opportunity is a fantastic way to end what has been the best year for me. I have grown up with McLaren and Mercedes and wouldn't be where I am today without their continued support and guidance. However I'm aware that this will be a challenge and I know that there will be a lot of attention on me. However the team has told me just to relax, do the best I can and enjoy the opportunity. I will work hard to get good results."

Pedro de la Rosa will revert to his role as test driver for the team. Pedro has been racing for Team McLaren Mercedes since the 2006 French Grand Prix in July and achieved a number of points-scoring performances as well as a podium finish at the Hungarian Grand Prix.

Cam
11-24-06, 12:41 PM
It will be interesting to see how this works out. This will be the first time in god knows how long that Ron has given race seat to a pilot that has NO race battle experience in F1. Launch time at Melbourne could be.... Hmmmm :saywhat:

gjc2
11-24-06, 01:00 PM
I thought de la Rosa was getting that seat.

formulaben
11-24-06, 03:11 PM
It will be interesting to see how this works out. This will be the first time in god knows how long that Ron has given race seat to a pilot that has NO race battle experience in F1. Launch time at Melbourne could be.... Hmmmm :saywhat:

1993 comes to mind...:yuck:

Cam
11-24-06, 03:24 PM
1993 comes to mind...:yuck:

ROFL! I had forgootten about that! :rofl: How quickly we can forget... All I thought of in '93 was Hakkinen joined but that was after being with several lower tier teams!

It's almost as tho it never happened. ;)

oddlycalm
11-24-06, 07:41 PM
Hope young Lewis does well. Now it remains to be seen if McLaren is capable of putting competitive equipment under them.

Kimi is one hell of a driver and he wasn't able to do much with the current car, even when it managed to finish the race. But they have a great looking headquarters building...:thumbup: :gomer:

oc

Cam
11-24-06, 08:19 PM
But they have a great looking headquarters building...:thumbup: :gomer:

oc

Fortunately McLaren F1 is not the only company headquartered in Paragon. ;)

JohnHKart
11-29-06, 02:45 AM
Thanks for posting, this was news to me. I've been out of the country and back in then back to work and haven't been checking racing sites. This is exciting.

John

Andrew Longman
11-29-06, 08:39 AM
Hope young Lewis does well. Now it remains to be seen if McLaren is capable of putting competitive equipment under them.

Kimi is one hell of a driver and he wasn't able to do much with the current car, even when it managed to finish the race. But they have a great looking headquarters building...:thumbup: :gomer:

oc

You may be forgetting that after 04 they were widely considered front-runners for the championship. Their cars were very easy on tires and the one tire rule played well to their advantage.

Then just months before the opener, Red Bull sides with the Bridgestone teams to do away with the rule and McLaren was left to find another way to gain an advantage. That does not explain why their cars break so much.

Spicoli
11-29-06, 10:17 AM
That does not explain why their cars break so much.

Could be a british thang. :p