PDA

View Full Version : RM: Driver Prospects for '07

SurfaceUnits
11-22-06, 06:36 PM
Here's a quick synopsis of the hopefuls (in alphabetical order):
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11112

RYAN BRISCOE: Both Team Australia and RuSPORT are interested in keeping the 24-year-old from Down Under. "I haven't signed anything with anybody yet and I'm keeping my options open. I loved driving the Champ Cars and racing at the top level of open wheel is what I want to do."

DAN CLARKE: CTE-HVM co-owner Keith Wiggins wants Speedy Dan back in the fold for '07.

MARIO DOMINGUEZ: The 30-year-old veteran lost his ride with Forsythe but has secured Pemex as a sponsor and looks to be set at RocketSports for next year.

JAN HEYLEN: Dale Coyne liked the 26-year-old rookie's progress and sounds like he wants to bring the Belgium native back for 2007.

BRUNO JUNQUEIRA: The 30-year-old veteran has six wins and miles of experience but isn't sure what the future holds. "I always have a contract by now for the next year but Newman/Haas doesn't have a sponsor yet for the No. 2 car so I'm hoping they can find one. I want to stay in Champ Car, if not for them, then for another team."

KATHERINE LEGGE: The first female to ever lead a Champ Car race has a contract with Kevin Kalkhoven. "Katherine will definitely be in the series next year," said the co-owner of Champ Car and PKV Racing. "I'm not exactly certain where at the moment."

DAVID MARTINEZ: Made an impressive debut at Mexico City for Forsythe Racing and the 24-year-old will get to test for a ride in the near future.

SIMON PAGENAUD: Has that check and a foot in the door -- maybe for his Atlantic-winning Team Australia or possibly a third car at Newman/Haas with fellow Frenchman Sebastien Bourdais. "I'm talking to everybody but at least I can sleep at night knowing I'll be driving a Champ Car next year."

NELSON PHILIPPE: His initial win and two more podiums have elevated the 20-year-old Frenchman's stock in the paddock. Not only does Wiggins want to keep him at HVM, Forsythe wants to test him and a couple other teams just want to sign him. "It's been crazy. Instead of me calling every team, they've been calling me," said the most impoved driver in Champ Car.

ANTONIO PIZZONIA: Considering his lack of track time and knowledge, "Jungle Boy" ran pretty well in three starts and says he wants to come back to Champ Car in 2007.

ANDREW RANGER: Might need a change of scenery after two years with Conquest/MiJack, but the 20-year-old Canadian still packs potential and needs to be in the series.

BUDDY RICE: The 2000 Atlantic champ finally got to make his Champ Car debut at Mexico, ran the fourth fastest race lap and finished 10th. He'll be in the Forsythe test mix.

ORIOL SERVIA: At 32, the veteran from Spain is hoping his chassis savvy keeps him employed. "I've been with seven different teams in seven years and I'd love to stay at PKV because I think we would both benefit. I've been loyal to Champ Car and I think I'm an asset but if teams can't get sponsors then they'll probably go with drivers who pay."

ALEX TAGLIANI: A career journeyman, Tags won't be back with Team Australia but has at least strong interest from Paul Gentilozzi. "I've had some good talks with Paul G. and we had some success in 2004 so that's definitely a possibility. We run three races in Canada so I think I'm a pretty good asset and I want to drive Champ Cars another four or five years."

ANDREAS WIRTH: The 22-year-old German has been a winner in Atlantics the past two years and is ready to graduate to Champ Car. Forsythe says he'll be part of the audition test for the seat next to Paul Tracy.

CHARLES ZWOLSMAN: The 2005 Atlantic champion had a steady learning curve and a couple of surprising runs and, sponsorship willing, wants to return to Champ Car.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11112

For those of you planning for the Phoenix round next year

Typical weather for Nov/Dec

Data as of: 3:12 PM 11/22/2006
Current Conditions
Temperature: 83.6°F Pressure: 30.04"
Average Wind: 0mph WSW Sunrise: 7:06 AM
Humidity: 18% Sunset: 5:22 PM
Dew Point: 37°F Moonphase: -3
Heat Index: 80°F Monthly Rain: 0.00"
So Far Today
High: 85°F Rain: 0.00" Rain Rate: 0.00"/h