PDA

View Full Version : Dogfights

Pages : [1] 2

rosawendel
11-22-06, 10:30 AM
The History Channel - "Dogfights" (http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights)

This has got to be the coolest show on the history channel - computerized recreations of actual dogfights through history. Anyone watch this?

http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/images/dogfights_gallery2.jpg
http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/images/dogfights_gallery1.jpg

G.
11-22-06, 11:43 AM
I think I've seen every episode.:thumbup:

The interviews with the actual pilots is more impressive to me than the CGI, but the graphics are fun, too.

Warlock!
11-22-06, 11:53 AM

This has got to be the coolest show on the history channel - computerized recreations of actual dogfights through history. Anyone watch this?
Yup... the F4 Phantom fight was badass...

cart7
11-22-06, 10:50 PM
Just saw the teaser promo for it the other night and can't wait to see my first episode. Looks cool.

RTKar
11-23-06, 01:17 PM
Tremendous show, great computer work, sure beats models suspended by fishing line.

TravelGal
11-23-06, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys. I'm getting REAL tired of watching Top Gun reruns.

Napoleon
11-24-06, 09:02 AM
I forgot about this show. I have to start watching it.

How many episodes have been played already?

ferrarigod
11-24-06, 10:40 AM
Yup... the F4 Phantom fight was badass...

I loved that one. The F-4 has been my favorite plane since i was a kid. I first sat in one at Wright-Patterson AFB & Museum in my early ages, so it is always nice to see.

When I get back to FLA, there is an air show that will have one flying with the USAF Heritage flights. There are some good videos for the F-4, F-15, F-14 and pretty much everything else on a website called www.flightlevel350.com

And yea, Dogfights is a great show, I really enjoyed the F-4 episode as well.

I do wonder how accurate all is though, since data collection was not feasible in WWII.

Napoleon
11-24-06, 04:55 PM
I do wonder how accurate all is though, since data collection was not feasible in WWII.

But it is now and there are remaining examples of most aircraft.

Kahauna Dreamer
11-24-06, 05:46 PM
So far, I've only caught the "F-86 vs. MiG 15" epi, but that was awesome!

ferrarigod
11-30-06, 12:18 AM
Captain John L. Smith is shooting slants out of the sky on the H channel.

too bad he can't coach a football team :D

ferrarigod
12-02-06, 05:09 PM
f-4 phatom dogfight on now:thumbup:

very kool cause this version has audio from the flights themselves. very nice history archive.

formulaben
12-02-06, 10:04 PM

You are correct.

indyfan31
12-03-06, 03:37 AM

very kool cause this version has audio from the flights themselves. very nice history archive.
If that's the episode with Major Robin Olds it's outstanding. I think the best part of the show was going back to WWII when he was flying P-38s, that is one badass dude.

Gnam
12-03-06, 04:13 AM
I am amazed at how calmly the fighter pilots tell their stories, and I love their grins. :D

ferrarigod
12-22-06, 11:45 PM
new episode on now. korea and the f-86. very nice, only 15 mins left. sorry, forgot to remind 45mins ago :tony:

Gnam
12-23-06, 03:34 AM
Shoulda shot down that rescue chopper what drowned his wingman. *******s.

nissan gtp
12-23-06, 08:29 AM

watched it as well, first episode I've seen, good stuff

got a Tivo season pass now :thumbup: looking forward to the ww1 & 2 shows

STD
12-23-06, 09:15 AM
Absolutly loved the Flying Tigers, F-4F Wildcat, F6F Hellcat shows! :thumbup:

Missed last nights DEATH OF THE JAPANESE NAVY it should be on repeat soon I hope.

ferrarigod
12-23-06, 06:33 PM
Shoulda shot down that rescue chopper what drowned his wingman. *******s.

honestly what a botched effort. using rotor wind to blow someone to shore, wtf? should have let the amphibs lane take care of it. especially after that amazing push one plane wth the nose if the other.

:holy cr@p smiley

nissan gtp
12-23-06, 06:58 PM
I'd really like to see this one :

http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/images/dogfights_gallery6.jpg

P-38s rock

Gnam
12-23-06, 07:15 PM
^ I think the P-38's were featured in the beginning of an F-4 episode. The same pilot fought in WWII, Korea and Vietnam.

nrc
12-23-06, 07:26 PM
I was pleased to see the Hellcat get some props. :thumbup: TiVo has three or four queued up right now.

RHR_Fan
12-23-06, 11:09 PM
I love the history channel. I've never seen Dogfights, but from the previews I've seen it looks really cool.

~Nicole

Gnam
01-23-07, 03:18 PM
^ bump.

Bombers vs. Fighters :eek: :thumbup: That 666 B-17 crew was crazy with a capital Z.

Looking forward to this week: Israeli AF vs Egypt

nrc
01-23-07, 03:42 PM
The "Death of the Japanese Navy" episode was excellant. Told the story of the Japanese trying to sortie their battleships and heavy cruisers after their carrier forces were effectively destroyed. They kind of veered off into the "Sea-Dogfights" territory telling the story of Battle off Samar and the heroism of the Taffy 3 task force.

Ankf00
01-23-07, 03:57 PM
man, wtf have I been all this time? I'm so used to not having cable and ignoring all threads like this. I've been watching His, His-I, discovery HD, and military channels almost exclusively the past month...

Jervis Tetch 1
01-24-07, 08:44 PM
I loved the episode on the Wildcat and MoH winner Jim Swett, who shot down seven in a single battle. The one with the Navy's Alexander Vraciu was great too and it was nice to see both men are (at the time of this writing) still alive.

I wish they could do some of the dogfights of the late, great aces like Bong, McGuire, MacCampbell, Preddy, J. Johnson, Sakai, Nishizawa, Galland, Hartmann and others.

RTKar
01-24-07, 09:09 PM
I loved the episode on the Wildcat and MoH winner Jim Swett, who shot down seven in a single battle. The one with the Navy's Alexander Vraciu was great too and it was nice to see both men are (at the time of this writing) still alive.
I wish they could do some of the dogfights of the late, great aces like Bong, McGuire, MacCampbell, Preddy, J. Johnson, Sakai, Nishizawa, Galland, Hartmann and others.

Not only is the computer animation making the show but having the pilots themselves describing the action is outstanding.

nissan gtp
01-24-07, 09:10 PM

great list, I'd like to see that too ! :cool:

coolhand
01-24-07, 11:14 PM
I think they would rather do people who are alive or have good records of their battles.

Not so much with those guys you listed

the 6-day war episode is up this week :thumbsup

KLang
01-28-07, 03:48 PM
I finally remembered to record an episode of this. Good stuff :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
01-29-07, 03:00 PM
. . . .
the 6-day war episode is up this week :thumbsup

Good episode. Israeli pilots and American war planes. :thumbup:

G.
01-29-07, 03:05 PM
The CGI is very cool, but the draw for me is the interviews. The CGI most definitely adds to it (and keeps the g.'s from screaming for Spongebob), but the 1st person accounts are awesome.

The Israeli pilot sending his wingmen East, when he was alone chasing 2(?) Migs himself to the West.:eek:

coolhand
01-29-07, 05:45 PM
The Israeli pilot sending his wingmen East, when he was alone chasing 2(?) Migs himself to the West.:eek:

He was 21 years old.

I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of meeting Israeli vets, they are like cowboys, they have that attitude.

Gangrel
01-30-07, 02:33 PM
He was 21 years old.

I don't know if any of you have had the pleasure of meeting Israeli vets, they are like cowboys, they have that attitude.

The smirk when he mentioned sending his superiors East was priceless! Gotta' figure if he was USAF, that maneuver would have gotten his wings clipped.

The story of the superior officer in the F-15 not giving the command to fire because he wanted the first beyond-visual-range kill himself was pretty funny stuff, too!

chop456
01-30-07, 02:37 PM
I can't get enough of that Bismarck commercial. :yuck:

nrc
01-30-07, 02:44 PM
Next up is the old stringbag taking on the Bizmark. :D

Warlock!
01-30-07, 03:51 PM
I can't get enough of that Bismarck commercial. :yuck:
That commercial ROCKS! That one and the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots on the sports channels.

Don Quixote
01-30-07, 04:10 PM
That one and the Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots on the sports channels.
I can's figure out how the plastic grille on the Dodge can take such abuse. :laugh:

coolhand
01-30-07, 10:34 PM
Next up is the old stringbag taking on the Bizmark. :D

The original 1950s movie tells you all you need to know about Sinking the Bizmark.

This story has been done to death.

JohnHKart
01-31-07, 10:03 PM
Been a WWII Aviation buff and aviation buff for a long time so yes I watch as much of this as I can. It's just totally brilliant!!!!!!! The steps being made in computer animation are amazing.

JH

G.
03-02-07, 10:51 PM
Watching Dogfights with the oldest g.

He asked me, what is the difference between a "machine gun" and a "cannon" on an airplane. Anyone?

To me, MG's are line-of-sight, but cannons are
over-the-horizon, or, not line-of-sight.

Why is a 0.50 caliber MG called a machinegun, but a 20 mm MG called a cannon?

Wheel-Nut
03-02-07, 11:08 PM
I don't know why the difference in terminology but the 20mm round is way bigger than the .50 cal.

http://www.fototime.com/%7B20DDB7CF-3EEA-4711-B97F-68A3DD913E6D%7D/picture.JPG

It could have something to do with how the arm is moved. Machine guns can be carried on the troop while a cannon cannot.

nrc
03-02-07, 11:08 PM
Why is a 0.50 caliber MG called a machinegun, but a 20 mm MG called a cannon?

I believe in WWII they were called canon if they had an explosive shell. Typically that requires a higher caliber round.

KLang
03-02-07, 11:16 PM
I believe in WWII they were called canon if they had an explosive shell.

:thumbup: That's the way I remember it as well. I wonder if that still applies today?

G.
03-02-07, 11:33 PM
I believe in WWII they were called canon if they had an explosive shell. Typically that requires a higher caliber round.
But I have shell casings and fired bullets from both 0.50 cal. rounds and 20 mm rounds. Spent, BTW. They are the same, except for size.

Gnam
03-03-07, 12:00 AM
A cannon fires a fused round designed to explode on impact.
A machine gun fires a solid projectile designed to punch a hole in the target.

Different ways to kill your opponent.

bibliography:
i. http://www.armyairforces.com/forum/m_104960/tm.htm

indyfan31
03-03-07, 05:10 AM
Has there not been a new show in a few weeks or is my Tivo just missing them?

coolhand
03-03-07, 06:30 AM
They are just rerunning them now

STD
03-03-07, 09:00 AM
I'd really like to see this one :

http://www.history.com/minisites/dogfights/images/dogfights_gallery6.jpg

P-38s rock

Saw it last night. Two P38s go after 50 ME109s.
Fork-tailed devils, Fractal compression.
Great show!

Walter Zoomie
03-03-07, 12:18 PM
The episode with the Dauntless taking on multiple Zeros, and flaming them all, was killer! Popeye the Sailor even knocked one of the Mitsus down by ramming him! :eek: Got a MOH for his troubles too.

In related news, here's a little air show blog/picture thing I put together which you may find interesting:

http://walterzoomiesworld.blogspot.com/2007/02/my-2006-indyairshow-pictorial.html

racermike
03-03-07, 02:40 PM
Saw it last night. Two P38s go after 50 ME109s.
Fork-tailed devils, Fractal compression.
Great show!

that was fantastic to watch

only better leading up to showing how the same pilot was in command of the f4 squadron in north vietnam, tricking the n vietnamese by arming the f4's with the radar jamming that the vietnamese would associate with the f-105 thunderchiefs they were able to take down with the Mig-21's.

So they flew into the combat area, in four groups of 4, staggered about 3 minutes apart, to disguise their f4's as easy thunderchief targets. When the enemy Migs surfaced from the low cloud deck, they were in for the surprise of their lives, as the f4's engaged them, and shot down 7 of the estimated 12-16 Migs we believed for them to have posession of.

racermike
03-03-07, 04:13 PM
I was thinking, it would be fun to have the show recreate the dogfights from the movie Top Gun.

ferrarigod
03-04-07, 01:35 AM
I was thinking, it would be fun to have the show recreate the dogfights from the movie Top Gun.

Mavericks in a flat spin, headed out to sea . . .
http://www.aviation.or.kr/link/TOPGUN/tg_conference.jpg

ferrarigod
03-04-07, 01:37 AM

Communicating. Keeping up foriegn relations. You know, giving him the bird!
http://www.aviation.or.kr/link/TOPGUN/tg_bird.jpg

Would be an interesting recreation.

ferrarigod
03-04-07, 01:38 AM
Nice formation flying shots of pretend fights, no doubt.:rofl: :rofl:

http://www.aviation.or.kr/link/TOPGUN/tg_chase.jpg

coolhand
03-04-07, 02:49 AM
Communicating. Keeping up foriegn relations. You know, giving him the bird!
http://www.aviation.or.kr/link/TOPGUN/tg_bird.jpg

Would be an interesting recreation.

I kinda remember that scene. Was that a enemy plane or another Tomcat that they flipped off?

That movie immortalized the F-14 like no other jet.

racermike
03-04-07, 02:51 AM
oh god ... what did i start

:D

Gangrel
03-04-07, 05:03 PM
I kinda remember that scene. Was that a enemy plane or another Tomcat that they flipped off?

LOL That was the mig that was on the tail of their wingman. Pivotal scene in the movie... :D

ferrarigod
03-04-07, 06:18 PM

It was an enemy 'MiG' plane. Meaning it was really an A-4SU Super Skyhawk (might have been ex-Singapore planes, not totally sure) with black paint and a nondiscript red star. I remember T-38's as well so I can't remember. IIRC, it was supposed to be Iraq or Iran or some such shipoopi.

ferrarigod
03-04-07, 06:22 PM
actually, now that I think about it, the T-38's were the black planes and the one flicked off while, 'keeping up foreign relations.'

The A-4 first edition was what they trained with at Top Gun in the desert.

So yea, the 2 seater used as MiG's were the T-38s, which are really F-5 Freedom Fighters for 2 used for training. Either way, they were the enemy and still are not those pesky MiGs.

racermike
03-04-07, 07:24 PM
One of the airshows in portland back in 1991, I got 2nd prize in a drawing, that I won a cool 1:10 scale model of an F14 (still packed in box, somewhere)

What i wanted was the 1st prize, a ride in a Russian Sukhoi Su-27. That would have been a kick in the pants) The fighter-bomber was part of the airshow.

The guy that won, puked all over the tarmac when they landed, and went to the hospital.

Best part of airshow, was seein ex-navy jock pilot, flying for FedEx, slinging a Boeing 737 around the way it was not designed to fly cargo around.

ferrarigod
03-05-07, 12:08 AM
Best part of airshow, was seein ex-navy jock pilot, flying for FedEx, slinging a Boeing 737 around the way it was not designed to fly cargo around.

That's one of the best things about going to the Air and Sea Show in Ft. Lauderdale in May. American Airlines is a sponsor and they always fly over and do low high speed or fake landing passes over the water.

Seeing a highspeed pass, followed by a 70 degree combination banking/climb is really sweet. Kinda throws out the idea that they can't do anything except fly people. Planes are damn powerful and more manuverable when nobodies online to complain :D

nz_climber
03-06-07, 01:28 AM
here is a video from the Royal NZ Air Force air show on the weekend, its of the 40 SQN Boeing 757 being treated like a fighter!

enjoy - there is more there by the same user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3jc0r4BXA

OW
03-06-07, 08:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyoyS6vUEis

Elmo T
03-06-07, 09:31 PM
here is a video from the Royal NZ Air Force air show on the weekend, its of the 40 SQN Boeing 757 being treated like a fighter!

enjoy - there is more there by the same user

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC3jc0r4BXA

Reminds of an air show I saw at McGuire AFB as a kid. They were doing the simulated air field assault and got up to the point where they'd drop the troops in. Wind didn't permit them to drop the guys out of the C-141's, so they let the pilots put the C-141 through its paces. Low altitude high speed passes, sharp pull up, high angle turns. I imagine those paratroopers would have rather jumped. :laugh:

racermike
03-06-07, 09:40 PM
this is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaW5Z9mB-9k

G.
03-06-07, 11:33 PM
this is cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaW5Z9mB-9kThat's got like, every plane in it.:thumbup:

I was waiting for Snoopy to show up.

Gnam
03-07-07, 03:32 AM
Great footage. Hope more of it shows up in a documentary or something.

KLang
03-07-07, 11:12 AM
That's got like, every plane in it.:thumbup:

Awesome video. :cool:

Wheel-Nut
03-07-07, 12:07 PM
The Liberty Belle is coming to town. $430 for a ride.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/nb/cyfair/news/4606295.html

ferrarigod
04-14-07, 01:37 AM
on right now.

drunk and blowing shilt up and loving it.

coolhand
04-14-07, 02:48 AM
on right now.

drunk and blowing shilt up and loving it.

You are drunk, no sheet :eek:

ferrarigod
04-27-07, 09:47 PM
just got home and turned on dogfights. gonna have to watch the replay later tonight.

israel f-15's vs. Syrian MiGs. watching MiG-21s go up against f-15's seems too easy.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT..:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

tllips
04-27-07, 10:04 PM
just got home and turned on dogfights. gonna have to watch the replay later tonight.

israel f-15's vs. Syrian MiGs. watching MiG-21s go up against f-15's seems too easy.

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTT..:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I was watching Modern Marvels yesterday and they stated that an F-15 has never been shot down in air to air combat. :eek:

ferrarigod
04-27-07, 10:08 PM
I was watching Modern Marvels yesterday and they stated that an F-15 has never been shot down in air to air combat. :eek:

replay at 1am eastern, just an fyi. f-15 is a beautiful plane when in combat.

Jag_Warrior
04-28-07, 07:57 PM
Dogfights.

I thought this was a thread about Michael Vick's latest run-in with the law. :gomer:

Gnam
05-26-07, 05:48 PM
Anyone catch that two hour special last night? : Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles
WWI: Spad v. Fokker
WWII: Mustang v. ME109
Korea: Sabre v. MiG15
Vietnam: Phantom v. MiG17

I was thinking it might have been the pilot for the show since the presentation was a little different, or a Memorial Day special.

But towards the end of the Vietnam chapter, one of the pilots let it slip that the Americans used to call the MiG pilots Gomers. :rofl:

coolhand
05-26-07, 11:05 PM
that was the pilot episode

ferrarigod
05-28-07, 11:31 PM
Anyone catch that two hour special last night? : Dogfights: The Greatest Air Battles
WWI: Spad v. Fokker
WWII: Mustang v. ME109
Korea: Sabre v. MiG15
Vietnam: Phantom v. MiG17

I was thinking it might have been the pilot for the show since the presentation was a little different, or a Memorial Day special.

But towards the end of the Vietnam chapter, one of the pilots let it slip that the Americans used to call the MiG pilots Gomers. :rofl:

no i didn't. any idea when they'll repeat?

Sean O'Gorman
05-29-07, 10:17 AM
insert generic Michael Vick joke here :gomer:

Winston Wolfe
05-29-07, 11:25 PM
Dogfights.

I thought this was a thread about Michael Vick's latest run-in with the law. :gomer:

Hey Sean O' - welcome to yesterday ! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
05-29-07, 11:41 PM
You mean last month. If you are going to insult me, at least get it correct. ;)

Wheel-Nut
06-19-07, 02:29 PM
Retired U.S. Air Force Brig. Gen. Robin Olds passed away. He was in one of the Dogfights episodes.

http://www.denverpost.com/obituaries/ci_6159759

Gnam
06-27-07, 03:58 PM
Dogfights: Greatest Air Battles
re-air times (http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=173294&action=detail)

Friday, June 29
08:00 AM

Friday, June 29
02:00 PM

Saturday, July 14
05:00 PM

Gnam
06-30-07, 10:31 PM
New season starts Fri, July 13. Supposed to be 20 episodes.

G.
06-30-07, 10:37 PM
New season starts Fri, July 13. Supposed to be 20 episodes.:thumbup: :thumbup:

The 9 yr. old even gets into them.

Gnam
12-06-07, 02:10 AM
Christmas came early. All new shows this week.

1. The Bloodiest Day - Phantoms over Hanoi
2. P-51 Mustang - Germany and the Pacific
3. Dogfights of Desert Storm* - F15s v. MiGs
4. Tuskegee Airmen - WWII squadron's story
5. MiG Killers of Midway - Final days of Vietnam

* I've been waiting for one from the modern age since the series started. :thumbup:

indyfan31
12-06-07, 10:38 AM
Excellent! My Tivo's been tapping it's little virtual foot for weeks waiting for something to record.

G.
12-06-07, 11:23 AM
CGI seems to keep getting better and better.:thumbup:

The Bloodiest Day was eye-opening. I didn't know that the NVA ever really sent up the Mig's.

Were the pilots NV, Chns, or Soviets??

coolhand
12-06-07, 09:54 PM
CGI seems to keep getting better and better.:thumbup:

The Bloodiest Day was eye-opening. I didn't know that the NVA ever really sent up the Mig's.

Were the pilots NV, Chns, or Soviets??

NV, and that point Vietnam was very much in the Soviet camp and not Chinese.

I read a story about that LGB strike on that Bridge on May 10th a long time ago. They were pushing technology to the limit that day. From that point on when they aggressively bombed the north the USAF and USN was very successful.

nrc
12-06-07, 10:25 PM
Some Russians have started claiming that they had pilots active NV although the NV and Russia, but not many. And of course they had astronomical kill ratios. :rolleyes:

indyfan31
12-07-07, 03:48 AM
Just watched the P-51 episode, still my favorite airplane ever. One thing I never saw before: rearview mirrors on the top (outside) of the canopy. They look like snail eyes.
Lt. Col. Bryan and Col. Candelaria pulled some absolutely impossible moves in those planes. I've seen pure stunt planes do that sort of stuff, but never a war plane in the middle of a dogfight. :eek:

Gnam
12-07-07, 05:44 PM
Near the end of the Tuskegee Airmen episode, they brought up the fact that Germans used captured P51s, painted up in German markings, to infiltrate bomber groups. Where would they capture P51's?

FTG
12-08-07, 12:09 PM
Same way we stole the "interrupter" during WW1 if you remember the pilot episode.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071207005942AAhc92g

coolhand
12-08-07, 07:50 PM
Shoot, I missed episode 5. Anyone know when they will re air? I am looking now

Gnam
03-03-08, 04:30 PM
Last new shows of Season 2, Fridays this month:
1. Supersonic, last week :doh: - Test pilots & battles at supersonic speed
2. Death of the Luftwaffe, Mar.7 - Operation Bodenplatte
3. Battle for the Falklands, Mar.14 - Sea Harriers take on Mirages and A4s

formulaben
03-03-08, 04:35 PM
Last new shows of Season 2, Fridays this month:
1. Supersonic, last week :doh: - Test pilots & battles at supersonic speed
2. Death of the Luftwaffe, Mar.7 - Operation Bodenplatte
3. Battle for the Falklands, Mar.14 - Sea Harriers take on Mirages and A4s

Thanks for the heads up!! :thumbup:

nrc
03-04-08, 01:23 AM
TiVo is my co-pilot. :cool:

Dogfights Schedule (https://www3.tivo.com:443/tivo-tco/oneclick.do?searchCriteria=1800|14|tivo:ct.9980987 8|tivo:cl.80399989|programsearch)

Bunch of episodes airing on March 7th.

Another show that turned up that might be worth checking out:

Battle 360 (https://www3.tivo.com:443/tivo-tco/oneclick.do?searchCriteria=1800|14|tivo:ct.1179010 53|tivo:cl.116284336|programsearch)

"Vengeance at Midway" An American aircraft carrier fleet turns the tide of World War II in the Pacific by defeating the Japanese Imperial Navy in 1942 at Midway in one of the greatest naval battles in history. (Repeat)The pic in the listing looks like it's a similar 3D animation documentary.