PDA

View Full Version : PPI Return?

nrc
11-21-06, 10:03 AM
McNutty has good things to say about the ESPN deal and adds this tidbit about Cal Wells closing down his NASCAR shop. I'd love to see PPI back in Champ car. They had some of the best looking cars ever.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/Sports/OtherSports/2006/11/21/2431882-sun.html

TIDE RIDE GONE: For the first time since Darrell Waltrip was winning races that mattered, NASCAR will start its 2007 campaign without a car sponsored by Proctor & Gamble's Tide division. There is word that PPI Motorsports owner Cal Wells -- who raced the No. 32 Tide ride the past five seasons -- has laid off his staff and is in the process of selling his race cars after P&G pulled the plug on its Nextel Cup program. Among those cars are two specially built by Pratt and Miller for Toronto's Ron Fellows. One rumour yesterday was that Kevin Harvick may buy the cars to enter them under the Kevin Harvick Inc. banner in Nextel Cup races at Sonoma and Watkins Glen in 2007. As for Wells, several well-placed sources said that he is in fact nosing around Champ Car. Wells was a long-time CART team owner before switching to NASCAR.

Spicoli
11-21-06, 11:24 AM
Cool. :cool:

Indy
11-21-06, 11:42 AM
'08 may be amazing.

Andrew Longman
11-21-06, 11:53 AM
The most amusing anecdote making the rounds in South Florida was a variation on what it must have been like to be in a room with Indy Racing League owner Tony George when he first got the new that his personal piggy bank (ESPN/ABC) was letting his rivals make a withdrawal.

So the NASCAR crowd shares a popular opinion of King TG;)

McNutty usually isn't so kind to CC.

As for Cal, if the field is limited to 22 next year he better hurry up. But then I don't give it too much weight. If he couldn't find sponsorship for is Cup team he's not likely to find it for a CC ride at this late date.

Yes his cars were the best looking. Even better in person. Sadly the Pioneer livery will, for me, always be associated with Zanardi's ride/accident at Nunn and the great MCI scheme is now tainted by the Worldcom scandal.

Insomniac
11-21-06, 01:59 PM
Interesting that P&G is pulling their Tide sponsorship. Might they be going somewhere else. I believe Ranger had P&G Canada (Tide) behind him some. I don't know if the ROI is there in OW right now, but I imagine it is cheaper than NASCAR.

devilmaster
11-21-06, 02:02 PM
In a perfect world, it'd be nice to see some of the old teams back in the fold.

Some of the teams that were driven out due to the skyrocketing prices of the fonda/toyo wars.

I'd rather see them than 3 car superteams from N/H and forsythe.

Optionetics apparently helped John DellaPenna, did he make enough on the stock market to run a car? Can optionetics be a sponsor? Will optionetics recommend people to buy a raceteam?

Whoa. deja-vu. :eek:

Al Czervik
11-21-06, 02:26 PM
It'd great to have Wells back, but I ain't believing anything from McNutty.

NismoZ
11-21-06, 05:10 PM
There are a LOT of people "nosing around" ChampCar right now, which is good, but the door may be nearly closed for '07. Isn't '08 year 5 of the plan?. I've lost track. You are correct, though, it could be a great one!:) (& I agree, more new 2 car teams, fewer 3 car old teams.):thumbup:

pchall
11-22-06, 01:21 PM
How about Frank Arciero? Somebody needs to compete with Aussie Vineyards.

formulaben
11-22-06, 07:03 PM
...and while they're at it, give Della Penna, Bruce McCaw, and Dan Gurney a courtesy call. I'd much rather have them in the series than Pimpski and especially Booby Rahole.

Fio1
11-22-06, 10:45 PM
How about Frank Arciero? Somebody needs to compete with Aussie Vineyards.

I don't know how good Aussie Vineyard's wines are, but I know that Arciero's are absolutely shhte! :yuck: