PDA

View Full Version : Montoya lights it up

TravelGal
11-20-06, 02:14 AM
While watching a prefectly good recap of the day's football carnage, I was ambushed by a Jimmy Johnson segment, which contained a few seconds of a pretty spectacular, flaming crash by Montoya. Crashes like that must make him think he's still in F1.

Anyone know what happened to cause it? Anyone got a UTube segment?

theunions
11-20-06, 02:31 AM
He got dumped by Newman, who MarkC says "ran out of talent." :D

TKGAngel
11-20-06, 07:18 AM
He got dumped by Newman, who MarkC says "ran out of talent." :D

Montoya roughed Newman earlier in the race, causing him to spin. NASCAR is investigating the second Newman/Montoya incident to see if it was retaliation or not.

Accipiter
11-20-06, 10:49 AM
Juan didn't rough Newman up. Newman spun trying not to run into him. He claims the second incident was an unintentional coincidence.

Andrew Longman
11-20-06, 11:47 AM
scary fire. I haven't seen a fuel cell rupture in quite a while. Grissom at Atlanta about teb years ago? And he had just fueled up.

TravelGal
11-20-06, 12:51 PM
Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought that was a pretty spectacular (=scary) fire.

As one of Mark's usual supporters, I hate to mention that that I've head that "ran out of talent" phrase before. Just can't bring to mind where and when. Maybe it's a usual NASCAR phrase.

pchall
11-20-06, 01:07 PM
scary fire. I haven't seen a fuel cell rupture in quite a while. Grissom at Atlanta about teb years ago? And he had just fueled up.

I was trying to think of the last time I saw a fuel fire that big. St. Dale, Jr. in the Corvette three or four years ago comes to mind, but I don't remember if it was a ruptured cell or just whatever fuel was in the plumbing going up...

TravelGal
11-20-06, 01:13 PM
AOL headline "Rookie Wrecks in Firey Crash." Rookie. HAHAHAHAHA. I'm sure he loves being called that, even though he is a NASCAR rookie. HAHAHAHA.

TRANSAM
11-20-06, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7twnhtd8Ps&mode=related&search=

FailureByDesign
11-20-06, 03:00 PM
The best part was him reach back into the smokey burning car to replace the steering wheel... :laugh: You don't have to do that in Nascar juan feel free to hurl in Newmans general direction.

Gnam
11-20-06, 03:42 PM
^ :D

Can we call that his warm welcome to NASCAR?

devilmaster
11-20-06, 03:52 PM

Well, his first in a season long line of warm welcomes no doubt.

Since the powers that be want him to suceed, after a few of these bumps, they'll punish anyone who is near him when JPM spins out.

extramundane
11-20-06, 04:20 PM
As one of Mark's usual supporters, I hate to mention that that I've head that "ran out of talent" phrase before.

Morontoya ran out of talent long before this past weekend, though.

pchall
11-20-06, 05:12 PM
Morontoya ran out of talent long before this past weekend, though.

JPM has never lacked talent -- he's just been short on racecraft at times.

Accipiter
11-20-06, 05:13 PM

'97. The fuel cell actually separated from the car. But the worst part of the crash was how hard the impact was, not the fire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYHgPmNP8Jg

I seached youtube for "NASCAR fire" and found this one of Ashton Lewis in a Busch race at Richmond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtyvRUhu3cc

I also seem to remember Bobby Labonte having a fuel fire a couple of years ago after backing into the wall at Chicagoland.

Linda
11-20-06, 08:02 PM

I think you could but it was not just a love tap. Busted the wall so race had to be stoped besides the car going up in flames. I think some where I'v heard if you tap some one in a courner results is a very heavey hit.
I don't care for Montoya but I used to be a fan of Newmans he of all drivers knows better. Montoya when interviewed knew better than to say anything but it was a just a racing thing. :\

Wheel-Nut
11-21-06, 03:40 PM
Did he hit the safer barrier?

Accipiter
11-21-06, 06:33 PM
Yes.

JohnHKart
11-21-06, 09:46 PM

I dont' remember Grissom's crash being a fireball, just a huge crash with the car splitting in half. Jimmy Spencer had a big fireball driving for the same team at Homestead about 4 years ago.

JH

Turbodog
11-22-06, 09:37 AM
MarkC says "ran out of talent." :D

Speaking of someone who has no talent:shakehead

Easy
11-22-06, 12:43 PM
JPM has never lacked talent -- he's just been short on racecraft at times.

So racecraft means not driving with your head up your ass?

devilmaster
11-22-06, 01:17 PM
So racecraft means not driving with your head up your ass?

tunnel vision?

:gomer:

emjaya
11-22-06, 05:24 PM
Montoya didn't really have the cars to show off his talent or lack of, imho.:)