PDA

View Full Version : Drop BP from the name...

nrc
11-19-06, 12:42 AM
Bridgestone is dropping their presenting sponsorship but exending their tire contract.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/racing/wires/11/18/3010.ap.car.champ.bridgestone.0151/

swift
11-19-06, 01:32 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/Champ_Car/news_story/?ID=184946&hubname=auto_racing-cart
TSN posted the article with a negative-spin headline.

formulaben
11-19-06, 02:22 AM
OK, so now it's the CCWSPBF instead of the BPTCCWSPBF? :\

Spicoli
11-19-06, 10:37 AM
ford is not far behind.

audi quattro
11-19-06, 10:54 AM
I don't think they have spent a cent worth of advertising other than during a race.
The only reason I can see them dropping the presenting is if champcar has someone else to replace them.

I think Bridgestone basically got a freebee in the presenting title as a benefit of supporting champcar.

Now that champcar might have an actual paying title sponsor, they can let bridgestone return to just being official tire supplier.

Now we can cross our fingers to see if there is an official announcement imminent on the footsteps of the ABC/ESPN announcement.

Andrew Longman
11-19-06, 11:48 AM
tin foil hat on... Bridgestone/Firestone has been one of the voices calling for unification. By dropping the name from one series, while continuing to be a supplier for both, is this a step towards positioning itself as the supplier for a unified series? Timing is also interesting when combined with the ESPN announcement.

Hat off

Agree I doubt they were spending much. Title sponsorship is also now worth a little more since they are on ABC/ESPN, and perhaps someone else is interested in it.

Car-B-Q
11-19-06, 11:59 AM
In general terms, what would the new contract terms be? They are no longer the Presenting Sponsor, only the sole tire supplier. If under the old agreement they had to buy so much of the air time and maybe provide set prices for tires(??), would the new agreement only be a set price for tires?

Bet we see at least one race with Bridgestone as title sponsor.

SurfaceUnits
11-19-06, 01:54 PM
Now we can cross our fingers to see if there is an official announcement imminent on the footsteps of the ABC/ESPN announcement. Don't hold your hollyhocks but according to the gomerati the abc deal is one of the last steps Kalkhoven is taking in order to position CCWS for sale.:rolleyes:

Bob_S.
11-19-06, 02:35 PM
For the last two years, it looked a lot like Bridgestone was funding the TV package (The Al and Joe show during every race was a tip off as was the wheel going round and round).
So, if the series is getting paid for the move to ESPN/abc- wouldn't that also mean that Bridgestone could step back to just being the tire supplier?
BTW, it also looks like Bridgestone wasn't the only one pushing a merger. "Hello, Tony? Yeah, um, we're also going to be running Champcar races. See, ABC and the ESPN family of channels would never want to push you into anything like merging BUT we also enjoy programming as much diversity as we can. Its nothing personal, see you next May".:p

TravelGal
11-19-06, 06:32 PM
Don't hold your hollyhocks but according to the gomerati the abc deal is one of the last steps Kalkhoven is taking in order to position CCWS for sale.:rolleyes:

Sigh. I hate it when rumors are plausible. Makes me nervous when he says "Everything is boring in Champ Car now" because it is all working so smoothly.

Insomniac
11-19-06, 07:50 PM
Sigh. I hate it when rumors are plausible. Makes me nervous when he says "Everything is boring in Champ Car now" because it is all working so smoothly.

KK isn't the only one who can make that decision. He would at least need to get PG in with it, and I'd imagine if GF didn't want to, he would buy them out or find a buyer/partner.

Insomniac
11-19-06, 07:52 PM
For the last two years, it looked a lot like Bridgestone was funding the TV package (The Al and Joe show during every race was a tip off as was the wheel going round and round).
So, if the series is getting paid for the move to ESPN/abc- wouldn't that also mean that Bridgestone could step back to just being the tire supplier?

I think you're right here. I imagine Bridgestone was helping out with the time buys and were thus given presenting status. With ESPN now paying CC for the broadcast rights, ESPN can sell the presenting rights if they wish.

nrc
11-20-06, 12:38 PM
“While the restructured contract does not include provisions for the Bridgestone brand to remain presenting sponsor of the series, we will still be highly integrated in many, many Champ Car activities,” Speyer explained. “We will continue the alternate tire program, Bridgestone will procure official tire status at specific events, we will continue to host hundreds of guests at hospitality units at races, and we will feature new ads in the new and exciting television package. Most importantly, our ongoing commitment to design, develop, produce and deliver the highest quality tires for Champ Car racing has not and will not change. The Bridgestone brand will be very visible to the fans and teams.”
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11107

This is the beauty of private ownership. While the gomers will choose to assume that this means less money for Champ car, for all we know they're simply shifting the same amount of money around.

Andrew Longman
11-20-06, 12:42 PM
we will feature new ads in the new and exciting television package.

Finally!!!:thumbup:

Insomniac
11-20-06, 03:16 PM
Finally!!!:thumbup:

pressdog will be relieved as well. :)

Insomniac
11-20-06, 03:17 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11107

This is the beauty of private ownership. While the gomers will choose to assume that this means less money for Champ car, for all we know they're simply shifting the same amount of money around.

I think it will stay the same. Instead of (my guess) helping pay for the time buys and getting free ad time, they'll pay ESPN to advertise during races.