PDA

View Full Version : Who should the ABC/ESPN announcing crew be?

toymaker
11-17-06, 10:04 AM
One of the people that I miss on ChampCar broadcasts is Gary Gerould. He made the complicated understandable and did it with grace and professionalism.He made a great partner with jon Beekius in the pits. Who else should be on the team?

Spicoli
11-17-06, 10:23 AM
No one they currently employ.

Btyw - heard Boob Jenkins is suing CCWS for non-payment. Hope they counter with "stoopid, wrong, idiotic, uninformed reporting" suit. :p

Ed_Severson
11-17-06, 10:24 AM
The suit with Jenkins has already been settled. He agreed to take no money if Champ Car would consider him for the broadcasting team next season ... so we paid him and told him to go away. :laugh:

Spicoli
11-17-06, 10:26 AM
The suit with Jenkins has already been settled. He agreed to take no money if Champ Car would consider him for the broadcasting team next season ... so we paid him and told him to go away. :laugh:

Sooo....Boooob will be in the booth for 07! :thumbup: :rofl:

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 10:39 AM
Got no problem with Gerould. Steal Parker back from NHRA. I actually never had a problem with Paige (Incoming!!!). Just not Arute, Little, Goodyear, Harris, Booby Unser, Rusty, etc, but I think many of them are moving to NASCAR anyway.

But I suspect CC is still producing the broadcast and may be providing their own talent. That most likely means the current crop.

Easy
11-17-06, 10:58 AM
Booth: Paul Page, Derek Daly and Scooter GY:gomer:

Pits: Jon or Parker (one of them should actually be in the booth), Cameron "Wheels of" Steele.

Lifestyle: No one. The viewing public doesn't give a toss about what rich kid ride buyers do on the 38 weeks a year they aren't racing. Just show some beach volleyball and FOCC highlights.

Wabbit
11-17-06, 11:25 AM
Parker Johnstone. We miss the coneage.

JoeBob
11-17-06, 11:41 AM
Gerould and Johnstone in the booth, Jon and Steele in the pits.

Unless we can find another decent pit reporter, in which case move Jon to the booth.

RusH
11-17-06, 11:44 AM
Bring in ESPN`s Kenny Mayne!!..more horse power:gomer:

TravelGal
11-17-06, 11:45 AM
OMG, you guys actually like Cameron Steele?

Guess I must have missed something--the whole season. I thought he was there for female eye candy and nothing else. His reporting struck me as less than zero.

spinner26
11-17-06, 11:53 AM
Where is the love for Tommy Kendall?:thumbup:

rabbit
11-17-06, 11:54 AM
Where is the love for Tommy Kendall?:thumbup:

TK is sooooooo 2004.

chop456
11-17-06, 11:55 AM
Varsha and Johnstone. It will never happen, so at least I'll be free to complain about whatever hacks we end up with. :thumbup:

grungex
11-17-06, 12:09 PM
Jeremy Shaw and James Hinchcliffe in the booth.

JoeBob
11-17-06, 01:17 PM
OMG, you guys actually like Cameron Steele?

Guess I must have missed something--the whole season. I thought he was there for female eye candy and nothing else. His reporting struck me as less than zero.

A few years ago, when ESPN2 was broadcasting Supercross, Todd Harris and Cameron Steele were in the booth, and Jamie Little was the "pit reporter."

Besides his broadcast experience, he's been in racing for quite a while, and owns an off-road racing team (where he does quite a bit of the driving) Here's the website for his team: http://www.desertassassins.com (When Buddy Rice drove in the Baja 1000, he drove for Steele's team)

Here's an interesting story about the double (quintuple?) duty Steele pulled the weekend of the San Jose race: http://www.lvms.com/track_info/dirt_track/dirt_track_news/509904.html

He wasn't perfect this season, but he showed a lot of potential. I'm fairly certain this was the first time he was put in the role of "pit reporter" - in past work, he's been in the booth.

RHR_Fan
11-17-06, 01:35 PM
They definitely need to keep Jon. I also like Shaw, but I think they'll keep him for the international broadcasts.

~Nicole

Methanolandbrats
11-17-06, 01:49 PM
Before they fill the booth, they need to hire a production crew who can shoot a race and a director who can switch between cameras so viewers don't miss most of the race. Turning to the booth, all the IRL shills and *****ags are out: Goodyear, Arute, Jenkins, anything named Unser and all their friends :yuck:

Gnam
11-17-06, 01:49 PM
My guess:

For the ABC races, it'll be: Page, Johnstone, Arute, and Gerould. Plus a female to be named later.

For the others (NBC?) it'll be: Benjamin, Daly, Jon, and Steele.

KLang
11-17-06, 01:53 PM
I don't care who is in the booth, I can always turn the sound down. I just wish we'd get some races in HiDef again.

cameraman
11-17-06, 02:15 PM
Jeremy Shaw and James Hinchcliffe in the booth. Hinch needs to be saving those tapes. If he doesn't get a CCWS ride they must hire him for his coverage skills. He is far better than anyone CCWS has used in years. Varsha and Hinchcliffe would be a great team.

Bob_S.
11-17-06, 02:25 PM
Its nice to dream, but we'll probably wind up with:

Ron Jeremy (to counter Gene Simmons)
Rusty Wallace/DDDDerrrryyyylllll Waltrip:gomer:
That chick who almost won American Idol.
Dennis Vitolo in the pits (Hey guys, remember me? Guys?)

oddlycalm
11-17-06, 02:38 PM
Before they fill the booth, they need to hire a production crew who can shoot a race and a director who can switch between cameras so viewers don't miss most of the race. Agreed, and losing the horribly overbearing graphics would be another big step. They're as busy and irrelevant as they web home page. :thumdown:

Just imagining who the booth crew will be makes me cringe...

oc

Insomniac
11-17-06, 02:56 PM
I didn't mind the old ESPN crew (Parker, PP, I think Jack Arute and Jon in he pits). But, once Arute's clear bias toward the IRL started to creep in, I got sick of him fast.

I hope we can get a good play-by-play guy who doesn't lose his handle every second and a good color guy who can provide some real insight. I know it's a lot to ask, but a guy can dream (says the guy whose nick is Insomniac ;)), right? It would suck to lose Jon again. He would be a great color guy.

cameraman
11-17-06, 02:58 PM
One thing they damn well better not bring are those stupid moving name tag pointer things and the idiotic photos superimposed on the track surface. Just lose all forms of graphics and just show the damned race. I want to see the cars racing each other on the track - nothing else - the point of all this is the bleeding race.

G.
11-17-06, 05:55 PM
I want my crawl at the top of the screen. Position, fast lap, last lap, laps since pit, PTP left. A THIN little crawl.

That's it.

Drawing thingy on slow-mo replays is ok, in the right hands, of course.

Onboard camera "sound of speed" with telemetry, once, maybe even twice per race. I like. How much?

All other graphics, get rid of them.

Varsha, Johnstone, Beekis, Kendall. <<<---dream team.
V, J, B, Daly.<<<----second (yeah. I said it.)

Benjamin, fine, Page, ok.

Goodyear, Harris, I quit.

trauma1
11-17-06, 05:58 PM
none of the past earl gang, no bimbos in the pits,ie little,

Gnam
11-17-06, 08:46 PM
I want my crawl at the top of the screen. Position, fast lap, last lap, laps since pit, PTP left. A THIN little crawl.
No crawl. Occasionally, put up driver stats 8 at a time in a little box at the bottom of the screen like F1.

The only time I need to know how much PTP anyone has is if two cars are battling for position. And then I only care about those two cars, not the whole field.

formulaben
11-17-06, 08:52 PM
Kendall needs to be back in the booth!

Gary Gerould and Jon Beekhuis in the pits!

JohnHKart
11-17-06, 09:54 PM
Steal Parker back from NHRA.

Parker's last NHRA broadcast was a year ago so they've already dumped him. Would love to see him back.

JH

cart7
11-17-06, 10:00 PM
Varsha and Johnstone. It will never happen, so at least I'll be free to complain about whatever hacks we end up with. :thumbup:

I'll second this one. Too bad it won't happen.

pfc_m_drake
11-17-06, 10:05 PM
In the booth:

Bob Varsha
Parker Johnstone

In the pits:

Jon Beekhuis
Gary Gerould

cyclepath
11-17-06, 10:35 PM

:shakehead

extramundane
11-17-06, 10:54 PM
Booth: Spicoli, Ank, enough {insert local beer selection} to stun a small rhino

Pits: Beekhuis, Defender (to explain how one more set of tires will bankrupt Kalkhoven), Corkski (special correspondent assigned to Katherine Legge & Paul Tracy), O'Gorman (to remind us how a real professional series would do things)

RATINGS GOLD.

Lizzerd
11-18-06, 12:02 AM
I'll do a lifestyles of the infield campers segment for beer.

Other than that, I agree with everybody who suggested Varsha and Johnstone, but I also agree that it will never happen. Varsha is too good on F1 and SPEED for them to let him go. Well, on the other hand, if the $$$ were right, and he isn't under any binding contract... Benjamin isn't bad, though. Daly would be better in the pits.

All I hope they do is make sure Jenkins and Aroot are on the other side of the Mississippi river or on another continent on race weekends. And that other Earl goofball they had a couple years ago... Todd Harris, or thereabouts? STAY AWAY FROM HIM!

I think the more realistic possibility (not necessarily what I would like to see) is the status quo.

TU Homer
11-18-06, 01:38 AM
I hear Eddie Cheever is looking for work, and he can tell funny stories.::gomer:

TK needs a career resurrection from those lame-ass Speed car review shows. I'll take him in a car or in the booth, but I won't take him up the....

-TU

Insomniac
11-18-06, 10:29 AM
No crawl. Occasionally, put up driver stats 8 at a time in a little box at the bottom of the screen like F1.

The only time I need to know how much PTP anyone has is if two cars are battling for position. And then I only care about those two cars, not the whole field.

Exactly. Screen should be empty most of the time. Flip through the grid every now and then with one piece of information. When cars are battling on screen, put up their info only. Show the top 5 or 10 going out to and coming back from commercial. Less is more.

G.
11-18-06, 12:09 PM
I want my damn crawl!

Just a little one.

Please?

grungex
11-18-06, 12:11 PM
I agree. Just the driver names and gap.

Spicoli
11-18-06, 12:13 PM
I vote for Derek! http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/medium/medium-smiley-133.gif

Bob_S.
11-18-06, 10:34 PM
I vote for Derek! http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/medium/medium-smiley-133.gif

Dear Charmin Kleenex;
Being a rumpswab will get you nowhere.
Respectfully,
The Rest of the Known Universe.

:D :p

TU Homer
11-19-06, 12:53 PM

What's he running for?

-TU

NismoZ
11-19-06, 02:56 PM
Another forum!

G.
11-19-06, 02:57 PM
Another forum!
:rofl: :laugh: