PDA

View Full Version : abc/espn IT IS

Spicoli
11-16-06, 05:54 PM
INDIANAPOLIS (November 16, 2006) – The Champ Car World Series today announced the formation of a new television partnership that will see the events of the Bridgestone Presents The Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford carried on ABC/ESPN beginning in 2007.

The multi-year agreement will cover the Champ Car World Series as well as the Cooper Tires Presents The Champ Car Atlantic Championship Powered by Mazda and includes Spanish-language broadcast rights as well. ABC/ESPN will begin its partnership with Champ Car and Atlantic events in 2007, and will be become the exclusive broadcast partner for both series beginning in 2008.

“Champ Car is moving into a bright new era in 2007 with four new venues and a newly-developed car for the series, and this new television agreement gives us even more reason to be optimistic about the future,” said Champ Car President Steve Johnson. “This agreement allows us to bring the excitement of Champ Car racing to a greater number of fans while providing a stronger delivery platform for our sponsors and corporate partners.”

ABC/ESPN partnered with the Champ Car World Series as far back as 1983 and was a mainstay of the series through the 2001 season. Many of the great moments in the history of the series were seen live on ABC/ESPN including Alex Zanardi’s 1997 win in Cleveland where he introduced the world to victory doughnuts and Mario Andretti’s final Champ Car win at Phoenix in 1993.

“Having the Champ Car World Series back on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC is a tremendous addition,” said John Wildhack, senior vice president of programming and acquisitions for ESPN. “This series produces close, competitive and exciting racing and adds more strength to the lineup of world-class motorsports and automotive programming we are offering our viewers, particularly on ESPN2 as it becomes the destination for motorsports fans.”

As part of the deal, Champ Car and ABC/ESPN will also pursue strategies to exploit digital media applications as they pertain to the Champ Car World Series, including internet and wireless media opportunities.

“We have been very happy with the treatment that the series has gotten from our television partners, but the opportunity to reach a long-term agreement with one network was attractive to us,” said series co-owner Kevin Kalkhoven. “There are a great number of reasons to be excited about the future of Champ Car racing and this television package will make the series even more enticing to teams, drivers and sponsors.”

The full, detailed schedule of events with television networks and air times for both the Champ Car World Series and the Champ Car Atlantic Championship will be released in the near future. The 2007 Champ Car season begins with the Grand Prix of Las Vegas April 6-8. The first of 11 Champ Car events to be broadcast on ABC/ESPN will come with the April 20-22 Grand Prix of Houston.

Spicoli
11-16-06, 05:56 PM
:rofl: Can't wait for the Super D/Media Insider meltdown on this one. :p

Ankf00
11-16-06, 05:59 PM
scoreboard.

KLang
11-16-06, 06:00 PM
:rofl: Can't wait for the Super D/Media Insider meltdown on this one. :p

This will be real popular over there. :rofl:

Edit:
Wait a minute, didn't we hate ABC when we were there before?

Audi_A4
11-16-06, 06:03 PM
HOORAY! thats great news. hopefully they will flash up the broadcasts and bring fans back to champcar. The coverage the past few years has sucked something awful.

FCYTravis
11-16-06, 06:14 PM
Everything that was old, is new again.

mueber
11-16-06, 06:20 PM
This means that ABC understands the Champ Car has the competent management.

spinner26
11-16-06, 06:21 PM
Oh my how sweet the smell, those gomers over at Crack fourm have to be just pu leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesed.:tony:

Spicoli
11-16-06, 06:22 PM

Edit:

No. We just hate Porky Page. :p
And Jac k the Root. And Scooty Goodyear.

Wait. You are right. We hate them all, including the mouse.:laugh:

FABC!:gomer:

emjaya
11-16-06, 06:22 PM
Champcar may not be shown on Australian TV next year.:irked:

And no, RD is not a viable option.:(

EVL29
11-16-06, 06:23 PM

Edit:

Yes and...uh...yes(with good reason).

rabbit
11-16-06, 06:24 PM
And no, RD is not a viable option.:(Hows come?

JoeBob
11-16-06, 06:24 PM
Good news: We'll have days of entertainment watching the spin.
Bad news: ABC/ESPN hasn't gotten any better

Interesting twist: TV deals won't be a barrier to a merger...

pineapple
11-16-06, 06:25 PM
:eek: and the wheel goes 'round.

What's going to happen if there's a conflict in the schedules? Who gets dibs on the main channels and who gets the secondary channels?

cameraman
11-16-06, 06:27 PM
Champcar may not be shown on Australian TV next year.:irked:

And no, RD is not a viable option.:(

Can you download a couple hundred meg file? We probably could work something out.

Ed_Severson
11-16-06, 06:28 PM
I've got no problem with this. I never had any issues with the ABC/ESPN broadcasts back in the olden days. I'd gladly trade Derek Daly for Parker Johnstone any day of the week. It'll be interesting to see who the crew is next year ... at least we know Bob Jenkins won't be involved. :gomer:

Wheel-Nut
11-16-06, 06:35 PM
Rumor: CC gets the race in May at IMS . . . . :D :tony:

eiregosod
11-16-06, 06:56 PM
I make an annual pilgrimage to espn.com. The Champcar tv stroy is on their front page. :thumbup:

the bad news is that champcar is lumped under the "IRL" heading on their main menu bar. :thumdown:

ESPN will be more nascar centric next year, I hope someone told KK where NASCAR Busch & CUp will be next year. :tony:

rabbit
11-16-06, 07:11 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=5&id=2664958

"If we can't have open-wheel unification, at least we can have a common broadcast partner. Once you get past that, the channel is outstanding in a lot of ways. Now, American open-wheel racing is at a place where fans can find it. Speed Channel [the previous broadcast sponsor] has become so NASCAR-centric that we were just a speed bump in their day."

Sean O'Gorman
11-16-06, 07:37 PM
Well, seeing as even Grand-Am had higher ratings on SPEED than Champ Car, maybe there was a reason that they weren't that important. :)

All trolling aside, this should be a good thing. Even better if any races are broadcast in HD.

dando
11-16-06, 07:41 PM
:eek:

This simply means that nothing makes sense anymore.

-Kevin

rabbit
11-16-06, 07:42 PM
One other advantage to being on ABC/ESPN, actually getting race highlights on SportsCenter. :thumbup:

Ankf00
11-16-06, 07:56 PM
One other advantage to being on ABC/ESPN, actually getting race highlights on SportsCenter. :thumbup:

boo-yah.[/uncle tom]

but good luck competing with Reggie Bush updates & the Bob Knight slap...

rabbit
11-16-06, 08:27 PM
boo-yah.[/uncle tom]

but good luck competing with Reggie Bush updates & the Bob Knight slap...

It was already on tonight. I doubt they will displace the stick-and-ball guys as the lead story, but anything will be more than what they've been getting.

TravelGal
11-16-06, 08:32 PM
KK: "at least we can have a common broadcast partner. Once you get past that, the channel is outstanding in a lot of ways."

:rofl: :rofl:

So, we will be told later what times we'll be getting the races and the first race is HOUSTON?

hmmmmm

my breath is bated at the moment

Cam
11-16-06, 08:43 PM

This simply means that nothing makes sense anymore.

-Kevin

The time/space continuum just surrendered. :saywhat:

Spicoli
11-16-06, 09:26 PM
According to Igloo Central, this can only mean the merger is in the works.

No way it means that the EARL brass are as dumb as a bag of poop.:shakehead

But upon further investigation, he drops this:

Here's the official response from an IRL official:

There was an exclusive clause that effectively locked out CART and later CC but that fell victim to anti-trust concerns.

This CC deal is very lucrative for ESPN as CC met the high price that was asked.

So KK is broke, CCWS is breaking his bank. But wait!:eek: no - he's loaded, and he could only get a time buy by spending 6 gazillion dollars.:thumbup:

oh dear. me's confusulated by da gomers.:laugh:

Dr. Corkski
11-16-06, 09:30 PM
Here is Todd Harris with a Katherine Legge update. :gomer:

dando
11-16-06, 09:39 PM
No way it means that the EARL brass are as dumb as a bag of poop.:shakehead

Bags of poop everywhere have demanded an apology, Spickly. :gomer:

-Kevin

Spicoli
11-16-06, 09:45 PM
In some strange epic meltdown of thought, super D offers the following:

Along comes champcar after getting thrown off of THREE other networks for not paying up front for next season with a big check that will pay the Disney folks roughly $21 million dollars per year.

So now you wonder how Disney can possibly pay the IRL $21 million dollars per year for rights to 1.0 races outside Indy? There you go. Thanks, champcar!

http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/jumping/jumping-smiley-027.gif

What a ****ing 'tard. :rofl:

grungex
11-16-06, 09:54 PM
I really do believe he's lost it this time. Not surprising, really...

JohnHKart
11-16-06, 09:56 PM
Great, how much golf, tiddlywinks, , bowling, horse racing, poker Corr and other important sports do we get to watch when the Champ Car race is supposed to be on, and how many ends of races will we miss because of the delayed starts. And probably no repeats so double screwed. Can't wait. :(

JH

ferrarigod
11-16-06, 10:19 PM
I hate ESPN, despise ABC, and all the hype surrounding them.

I would rather see all races on NBC or CBS, but if there is $ involved, and people are willing to pay for us, then I guess it is better than speed.

That being said, I still f****ing hate the mickey mouse channels, all the time, except when football and Champ Car will be on. HATE.

fespn.

nrc
11-16-06, 10:21 PM
So they've supposedly been thrown off three other networks but one of them is going to show Vegas and Long Beach :laugh:

How frustrating must this be for gomers. They're dead certain KK is on verge of bankruptcy or just throwing in the towell and then CC pulls off a deal like this. :p

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story/?ID=184596&hubname=auto_racing

"Having the Champ Car World Series back on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC is a tremendous addition," said John Wildhack, senior vice president of programming and acquisitions for ESPN. "This series produces close, competitive and exciting racing and adds more strength to the lineup of world-class motorsports and automotive programming we are offering our viewers, particularly on ESPN2 as it becomes the destination for motorsports fans."
So it sounds like a lot of the coverage will be on the Duece. Ok by me. ESPN2 probably still reaches more households than Speed.

Insomniac
11-16-06, 10:31 PM
Funny. KK talks about NASCAR-centric SPEED, what does he expect to come of ABC/ESPN/ESPN2 when the NASCAR deal kicks in next year?

How big of a blip will CC be on the netwoirk that airs the NBA, MLB, College Football, NFL, College Basketball and NASCAR? Not to mention all the other stuff like horse racing, poker, paintball, lacrosse...

I'm glad someone is paying them though. One less thing to worry about.

dando
11-16-06, 10:44 PM
How big of a blip will CC be on the netwoirk that airs the NBA, MLB, College Football, NFL, College Basketball and NASCAR? Not to mention all the other stuff like horse racing, poker, paintball, lacrosse...

Damn. Sounds like we need another ESPN channel. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Cam
11-16-06, 10:59 PM
Damn. Sounds like we need another ESPN channel. :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

ESPN-ONTRACK?

ferrarigod
11-16-06, 11:03 PM
So, because of that, they should be treated the same? I don't think so. They are worse than that psycho woman who stalked me most of the way through my second marriage.

And now he claims he isn't a cable installer in his moms basement. hahahaha.

Yep, CC's on the mouse and glomming on to Indy again while proclaiming that they're "going their own way." They'll be sure to confuse it as much as possible.

glomming on to history. where was the EARL before 1996? hahahahahahha.

There are Mindy/Champ Car conflicts where ESPN can't show both. Something tells me those weekends will be the CC on CBS/NBC weekends.

Also, I know that Eskiho is a total fool, but first thing I thought when i read this when i just got home was

1) I ****ing hate eSPEN.
2) Mergerficationary moves are afoot
3) Now we really need to complain about Champ Car under the EARL banner on eSPIN
4) The tv deal is better than neckcar, but I will not be able to put up with cross promotion shilt for neckers.

jonovision_man
11-16-06, 11:54 PM
Quite a surprise... !

I wonder if this means a TSN deal will soon follow?

jono

Hard Driver
11-17-06, 12:21 AM
Interesting, very interesting.

I think the merger is a significant factor in this. Now the TV Contract issues are manageable, most of the other issues can be managed legally. The only problem now is the same one that has been around for a decade, FTG.

dando
11-17-06, 12:28 AM
ESPN-ONTRACK?

I kinda like The Ocho from Dodgeball. :)

-Kevin

Tony George
11-17-06, 01:08 AM
Does this mean we will get the dream team of Paul Page AND Derek Daly??? WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! Look at her chest!!! :rofl: :eek: :rofl:

Boatdesigner
11-17-06, 01:12 AM
Oh No!! I hope there aren't any golf tourneys scheduled after a CC race. If it runs long, plan on not seeing it. I guess I have to get used to cursing at my screen again.

dando
11-17-06, 01:31 AM
Oh No!! I hope there aren't any golf tourneys scheduled after a CC race. If it runs long, plan on not seeing it. I guess I have to get used to cursing at my screen again.

ABC/ESPN dropped the PGA. No more golf on the Mouse networks.

-Kevin

Lizzerd
11-17-06, 02:36 AM
ABC/ESPN dropped the PGA. No more golf on the Mouse networks.

-Kevin

Yeah, but what about poker and horses?

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 04:57 AM
D's stalking comment caught my eye. Must be an interesting story there. I wonder who was actually stalking whom.

And the IRL has an "exclusive" deal that locked out CC but was dropped because of antitrust concerns? ESPN only signed this because KK was going to sue them? CC only did this because ESPN wasn't going to require payment in full up front? Only more proof that Disney is disloyal and disrespectful to the I500 and they should call NBC? Will only cause more confusion between the series? Lunatics.

One thing I didn't see. Will CC still be producing the telecast? I hope so. That way there will be no Todd Harris and other silliness.

Not crazy about ESPN but if I were trying to sell sponsors and ad time, I think this would make it a lot easier. And it consolidate pressure a bit more on TG to wake up and notice the mess he needs to fix.

Spicoli
11-17-06, 05:17 AM
If you are waiting for a press release that says, 'The CC TV deal with ESPN is a time buy for $X million, you will be waiting for a very long time.'

This backpeddalling is getting ridiculous.:rolleyes:

However, I am sure he was told this - by an IRL official in a private email he cannot say who - because that's what these jacktards over at 16th & Jonestown were fed by ABC and really believe!

SuperD, Igloo, IFool and the rest of the faitful are in epic meltdown mode. 75 million. nope, 21 million. Wait, how did this happen? HOW COME WE INSIDERS KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS!:mad:

I love it. http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/party/party-smiley-043.gif

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 05:42 AM
Wait, how did this happen? HOW COME WE INSIDERS KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS!:mad:

:rofl:

gjc2
11-17-06, 08:31 AM
Great, how much golf, tiddlywinks, , bowling, horse racing, poker Corr and other important sports do we get to watch when the Champ Car race is supposed to be on, and how many ends of races will we miss because of the delayed starts. And probably no repeats so double screwed. Can't wait. :(

JH

and how many starts will we miss because tiddlywinks went long?

trauma1
11-17-06, 09:14 AM
great news, this is a hugh coup and the meltdown at TF is in full nuc mode, wilkie and defender are already spewing thier BS spin , IMO this is going to help seal some major sponsorships deals for some teams and i hope it brings in a couple of more teams,i hope now for a major series sponsor:thumbup:

Insomniac
11-17-06, 09:25 AM
I think being on ESPN/ABC would lessen the chance we won't get to see the entire race. They have a ton of channels to bounce it over to if needed even if they aren't top priority. With NBC/CBS/Time Buys, when the time was up, the time was up. I think it's a good thing, but anyone is kidding themselves if they don't think NASCAR is the big dog on ESPN/ABC, even if there's a merger.

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 09:43 AM
I think the NASCAR shadow is actually greater at SPEED. Other than NASCAR what do they have? 80% of their programming is NASCAR related. CC just slotted in between Car Crazy, Hooters Pro Cup, and infomercials.

ESPN is decidedly the bigger pond and while NASCAR will be big there, it will still be behind the stick and ball sports. It also means that CC can be promoted to all those eyeballs that show up for the stick and ball stuff. It also means there are more eyeballs to see sponsor cross promotions, tie-ins, ans such. Just a lot more for the marketing types to work with.

Seeing how ICS has been treated there, I don't expect a lot of help from them, but I do know that the CC crowd will likely be a lot more savvy about working with the network and that fish grow bigger in a bigger pond.

mueber
11-17-06, 09:44 AM
I'm gonna have to look at my cable guide. I can't remember which are the ESPN and ESPN2.

eiregosod
11-17-06, 10:00 AM
This backpeddalling is getting ridiculous.:rolleyes:

However, I am sure he was told this - by an IRL official in a private email he cannot say who - because that's what these jacktards over at 16th & Jonestown were fed by ABC and really believe!

SuperD, Igloo, IFool and the rest of the faitful are in epic meltdown mode. 75 million. nope, 21 million. Wait, how did this happen? HOW COME WE INSIDERS KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THIS!:mad:

I love it. http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/party/party-smiley-043.gif

:laugh:

I seriously doubt that anyone at 16th & georgetown knows any details of the deal between CC & ESPN. I'm sure that the email from the IRL official was of the kind "go tell the internet that CC is paying full whack for the coverage"

If it's a time buy, so what. CC has had to buy time for years, though this time there's an exclusive multi-year deal. sounds sophistimicated , and I would entertain the notion that CC is paying less than the $250k/hour that ESPN usually charges.

Hats off to KK for telling Speed Tv where to stuff it. Speed thought that they could demand full payment for a shoddy service. Spud Tv also gets double reamed because CC is bolstering ESPN's motorsport portfolio.

ESPN has Cup, Busch, CC & IRL. Does SPeed tv have better than that?

chop456
11-17-06, 10:02 AM
ESPN has Cup, Busch, CC & IRL. Does SPeed tv have better than that?

Yes. They have F1. :D

eiregosod
11-17-06, 10:06 AM
I think the NASCAR shadow is actually greater at SPEED. Other than NASCAR what do they have? 80% of their programming is NASCAR related. CC just slotted in between Car Crazy, Hooters Pro Cup, and infomercials.

ESPN is decidedly the bigger pond and while NASCAR will be big there, it will still be behind the stick and ball sports. It also means that CC can be promoted to all those eyeballs that show up for the stick and ball stuff. It also means there are more eyeballs to see sponsor cross promotions, tie-ins, ans such. Just a lot more for the marketing types to work with.

Seeing how ICS has been treated there, I don't expect a lot of help from them, but I do know that the CC crowd will likely be a lot more savvy about working with the network and that fish grow bigger in a bigger pond.

CC on speed was a niche within a niche. Now, CC is a niche on a channel with much broader appeal.

eiregosod
11-17-06, 10:08 AM
Yes. They have F1. :D that's 2 hours of programming every other week. wouldn't be surprised if ESPN steps in and adds F1 .

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 10:32 AM
I'm loving this spin

Precicely. The deal is bound to help CC by attempting to associate themselves with the IRL, but in the long run this may be just what we need to let the free market work its mojo and end this 'split' nonsense once and for all.

CC strategy is to confuse people into thinking they are the real deal. First CC is stealing their history and now they are stealing their broadcast partner, but it will be OK because now everyone can see how bad it is next to the IRL.:rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 10:33 AM
that's 2 hours of programming every other week. wouldn't be surprised if ESPN steps in and adds F1 .

They've already done it for selected races. Don't think BE isn't working them against eachother

JoeBob
11-17-06, 11:43 AM
Fred Nation's email address has been widely circulated. I have no doubt that is who Wilke has been emailing.

KLang
11-17-06, 11:52 AM
Fred Nation's email address has been widely circulated. I have no doubt that is who Wilke has been emailing.

Or he could just be pulling stuff out of his rear, either the eskimo or Nation. I find it hard to believe that anyone in the earl would know anything about the Champ Car contract.

Tim
11-17-06, 01:33 PM
Maybe espn starts there own motorsports channel. Let speed show 12 hours of pinks and 12 hours of unique whips while espn actually shows racing.

cameraman
11-17-06, 02:06 PM
that's 2 hours of programming every other week. wouldn't be surprised if ESPN steps in and adds F1 . Actually it is Friday practice, Saturday Qualifications and Sunday race. I really hope Speed manages to keep F1. CBS's coverage of 4 of the races is unwatchable.

oddlycalm
11-17-06, 02:30 PM
Not crazy about ESPN but if I were trying to sell sponsors and ad time, I think this would make it a lot easier. Yep, that's the beginning, middle and end of the subject from a business perspective, which is why they are willing to pay up for it.

From my personal perspective it's the suck. The only upside for me is the fear and loathing among the gomerati. :D

oc

Insomniac
11-17-06, 02:51 PM
Yep, that's the beginning, middle and end of the subject from a business perspective, which is why they are willing to pay up for it.

From my personal perspective it's the suck. The only upside for me is the fear and loathing among the gomerati. :D

oc

I hope it is ESPN selling the ad time, not CC.

trauma1
11-17-06, 03:24 PM

i bet 10 to 1 the TF gang of defender, wilkie indyfool and the reat of the gomers have already started a mass email smear complain to espn bemoaning CC as the evil empire. it's thier standard MO, defender is getting his ass handed to him at dolans:rofl: still working to get ya back in spicoli

Spicoli
11-17-06, 03:25 PM
i bet 10 to 1 the TF gang of defender, wilkie indyfool and the reat of the gomers have already started a mass email smear complain to espn bemoaning CC as the evil empire. it's thier standard MO, defender is getting his ass handed to him at dolans:rofl: still working to get ya back in spicoli

Thanks. Tell Howard that Gotard promises to not do whatever it was I did before - again. :D

Gangrel
11-17-06, 03:28 PM
Hmmm....I seem to remember something about betting on Tony's horse...I wonder if the ABC/Disney execs needed some salt with those words...

I don't like ABC or ESPN, but the market they cover is a vastly greater footprint than Speed or (ugg) Spike. I am willing to give them a chance, and I am willing to give KK the benefit of the doubt. Contrary to what many on OC believe, I don't really think he has missed many steps. DP01, the asset purchase, PI, Cosworth, RA......Every time KK puts out a press release, gomers worldwide begin to squirm. It is quite entertaining to watch.

My guess on the next step is that the contract with ABC/ESPN is a time buy, but is riddled with financial incentives to the network to get it all right, and heavy penalties for getting it wrong. If it is, they'll figure it out. I am aprehensive, but I am pretty sure this is a good thing.

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 04:25 PM
Contrary to what many on OC believe, I don't really think he has missed many steps. DP01, the asset purchase, PI, Cosworth, RA......Every time KK puts out a press release, gomers worldwide begin to squirm. It is quite entertaining to watch.

Absolutely. If you go back a few years and looked at both series they both had a list of similar problems. Teams leaving, cost too high, sponsors leaving, non-functioning ladder series, unable to attract new teams, unsecured events/events failing, unsecured suppliers, worsening on track product, driver churn, unclear business strategy and model, poor corporate/sponsor involvement market model, etc.

KK has address each of these. TG has only focused in the last si years on taking teams, suppliers, venues, broadcasts, etc from CC and almost nothing on creating more value from his own series.

In the end, there is a lot more work to be done and it remains to be seen how well some of these moves turn out, but CC is in a much better situation to stand on its own while also squeezing TG to come to a merger (though they will be fine if they don't).

Jervis Tetch 1
11-17-06, 05:08 PM
:rofl: Can't wait for the Super D/Media Insider meltdown on this one. :pYeah for sure. He's ***** his pants about a dozen times already. :laugh:

trauma1
11-17-06, 05:24 PM
the gomers are spinniing this every which way, they have no clue on what is happening, D and wilkie are just absolutly being tools and fools today, CUC is threatning bans, it's been a good day to sit back and watch the gomers implode:rofl: :rofl:

trauma1
11-17-06, 05:36 PM
:rofl: wilkie has lost it completly, does he have a working living brain cell left

IRL has plenty of choices. Unless I miss my guess, as of this minute, only 1 DP01 has been built. Now, production will probably start sooner or later but right now they are a little scarce. And, as has been pointed out before, there are a number of reasons why the DP01 is not the only choice for the IRL:

1. There is no real issue with the current cars. They seem to do the job fairly well and perhaps instead of an entire new car, maybe a new update package is spec'd and ordered.

2. The DP01 has not been tested on an oval. Maybe a kit could be devised, maybe the car could be adapted for high-banked and high-speed ovals but as of yet, this hasn't been done.

3. No work has been done to fit the 3.0 NA engines in a DP01. Again, maybe it will work but maybe not.

4. Adopting the DP01 cuts out Dallara who has been with the IRL for 11 years and further locks out Lola and any others.

5. No DP01s have been delivered to teams so there is no hard evidence yet of any significant cost savings on new cars.

6. No DP01s have been raced yet so there is no hard evidence of any significant cost savings of replacement parts or repairs.

The DP01 may be a dandy choice for CC; that doesn't mean it is a great choice for the IRL.

G.
11-17-06, 06:00 PM
Thanks. Tell Howard that Gotard promises to not do whatever it was I did before - again. :D
I've been axin' bout dat too...

trauma1
11-17-06, 06:11 PM
I've been axin' bout dat too...

get a few more people to e mail howard so we get gotard back in, i'm emailing him everyday until he gives in

trauma1
11-17-06, 06:35 PM
indycool revisioist history, they actually believe this dribble unbelievable

Well, TreeLakes, you need a history lesson:

1. The Indianapolis 500 had a dedicated safety team long before CART existed and continued to upgrade it when CART started ITS safety team in 1979. Both continued to grow into solid efforts at that point.
2. The IRL used '95 CART chassis during the '96 season. The Dallara and G Force chassis were sheet-of-paper new, but by that time, yes, carbon fiber had been around to build these things for quite awhile, including other series.
3. Rules. Some were the same, some weren't. Today, you don't see "push-to-pass" or some of that other stuff in the IRL.
4. No, CART DIDN'T have it first. The Indianapolis 500 has had TV deals with ABC since the '60s, the second oldest sporting event with the same network other than CBS with the Masters. CART actually had NBC first in 1979.
5. Leadership. The IRL is neither a public company or a car owners organization, so the structure of the IRL management is nowhere close to what CART EVER was.

trauma1
11-17-06, 06:39 PM
more comoic relief from wilkie

http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83763&page=6

dando
11-17-06, 06:48 PM
Yeah, but what about poker and horses?

Those are usually events that are less likely to run over their allotted time. I'm more concerned about paintball and darts. :gomer:

-Kevin

Wally
11-17-06, 07:08 PM

Good God......:eek: Who are those people and what are they on? :shakehead

trauma1
11-17-06, 07:21 PM
Good God......:eek: Who are those people and what are they on? :shakehead

amazing are they not, to hell with facts they just make kaka up as they go:shakehead

Spicoli
11-17-06, 08:00 PM
I think in time we are going to find out this was done at the request, not resistance, of Mr. George.

It will be among the first in a long line of not-so-obvious clues that the only people who don't think business progress is being made between Kalkhoven and George.

Wait until the Rahal/Haas announcement that Graham will be driving 11 races in '07 (Indy, 5 IRL, and 5 Champ Car) before he goes full time in '08. Another one to wait for is the cancellation of Zhihua, Olberschleben, Assen, and Phoenix this winter. They were never happening. Look for cross-cooperation on chasses use and engine leases to accommodate the big teams running at the mutual events. Look for Kalkhoven to blend into the background/business side. George will serve as the face of open wheel racing.

Indy and the Indy Car name will matter when it is all said and done. There will be enough things done to tick off the extremists on both sides and make the 80% of mainstream fans who want to watch something besides NASCAR come back to the sport.

This isn't happening because TG was asleep at the wheel. He was likely behind the wheel (or at least in the passenger seat) on the deal. Just watch.

Cam
11-17-06, 08:02 PM

I want some o' dem drugs!!! :saywhat:

grungex
11-17-06, 08:04 PM
What do you expect from an idiot that misspelled his username "MarkDonahueFan"?

trauma1
11-17-06, 08:13 PM
This isn't happening because TG was asleep at the wheel. He was likely behind the wheel (or at least in the passenger seat) on the deal. Just watch.

no he was like france drunk and high behind the wheel, do they relize what idiots they sound like, the koolaide definatly was spiked today, with what i wonder who knows, and i was right wilkie has been ona email campaign today to 16th and georgetown and espn:shakehead :rofl:

from the grand wizard of TF

The folks at 16th and GTown see this as another move by KK/GF to force a merger on their terms.

grungex
11-17-06, 08:19 PM
Wow, the delusion is really setting in now!

Here's what the crystal ball is telling me:

1. In a few weeks, we will be fining out that this deal was done with the blessing of TG and the IRL.

2. It will also be seen as the first of about ten steps toward Champ Car phasing out in 2008. Champ Car is maintaining contractual appearances in 2007.

3. Any race that was not on 2006 schedule for Champ Car that they have "announced" for 2007, leaving about 11 races. This winter, the Chinese, Dutch, German, and Phoenix events will be cancelled. Las Vegas survives. Only about 5 to 6 CCWS events survive into unification.

4. The top four teams in each series will race together with backmarkers in 3 events on each schedule plus Indy to build interest for 2008 (7 events). Those events will be raging successes and Indy the biggest since '06.

5. The Panoz Indy Chassis will be developed and used in Champ Car for the year, by visiting Indy Cars in the 3 CCWS events, and eligible at Indy for all competitors at Indy.

6. Cosworth will be embraced by Ford (fully as a badge) for competition in '07 with an eye on ethanol compatibility in '08.

7. The 22 race schedule for 2008 will be announced in September, 2007. 12 ovals, 10 road and street courses.

8. The phrase *** and Kash Kow will not be uttered by another soul after this winter.

9. 39 qualifiers will vie for 33 spots at Indy in 2007. 11 cars in line will be getting some form of assistance from TG: the 3 vision cars and the 8 CCWS cars taking the chance to get into the field.

10. Kalkhoven will have an interest in the business side and leave the racing side to George and Barnhart. Barnhart will be named Commissioner and President of the Indy Car Series in June, 2007 with Steve Johnson and Scott Atherton taking roles in the series business development side.

...the crystal ball is fading out!

trauma1
11-17-06, 08:45 PM
What do you expect from an idiot that misspelled his username "MarkDonahueFan"?

http://www.firekite.com/store/misc/pics/forum12/preparationh.jpg

G.
11-17-06, 11:15 PM
This isn't happening because TG was asleep at the wheel. He was likely behind the wheel (or at least in the passenger seat) on the deal. Just watch.I see Bif got a spell checker.

:rofl:

JT265
11-18-06, 03:24 AM
George will serve as the face of open wheel racing.

And that, gentle reader, will be the day I cease to give a rat's ass about Champ Car.

On a related note, sales of drool buckets spiked in Indy on Thursday. Coincidence? I think not.

EDwardo
11-18-06, 04:12 AM
Wow, the delusion is really setting in now!

Not content with prior delusions, he adds:

Really...think about it....do you really think ABC/ESPN, knowing the politics of open wheel and the past decade, would deal with Champ Car without some approval from George and the IRL?

Does this mean that, not content with saving OW, Anton seeks to save ABC?
:rolleyes:

GOFAST1
11-18-06, 07:36 AM

Good to see that more and more people will tune in at the start of the season and are so focused on day to day happenings in Champcar.

Andrew Longman
11-18-06, 08:20 AM
In 36 hours it has ground down into a few simple positions over there

1. It is all part of the wise and omnipotent TG's plan

2. CC sucked on Speed, ESPN sucks, CC will suck on ESPN. Nothing to worry about.

3. CC is paying ESPN. ESPN is paying IRL. Therefore CC is paying IRL. Doubly good

4. Some combination of the above which is that this will just bring CC to its knees faster and force them to close or merge on TGs terms

There are a few posters that don't go past believing that this is one more act of disrespect and deliberate harm by "CART" against the rightous IRL. How dare CC further confuse the public about Indy racing by buying time on the same network.

It is fun to study strange and foreign cultures. I think I'll write a book

peasant
11-18-06, 07:15 PM
get a few more people to e mail howard so we get gotard back in, i'm emailing him everyday until he gives in

Why not just the traditional new log in and play again?
Of course the smilies will be a bit of a give away:)

emjaya
11-18-06, 08:40 PM
In 36 hours it has ground down into a few simple positions over there

1. It is all part of the wise and omnipotent TG's plan

2. CC sucked on Speed, ESPN sucks, CC will suck on ESPN. Nothing to worry about.

3. CC is paying ESPN. ESPN is paying IRL. Therefore CC is paying IRL. Doubly good

4. Some combination of the above which is that this will just bring CC to its knees faster and force them to close or merge on TGs terms

There are a few posters that don't go past believing that this is one more act of disrespect and deliberate harm by "CART" against the rightous IRL. How dare CC further confuse the public about Indy racing by buying time on the same network.

It is fun to study strange and foreign cultures. I think I'll write a book

I must admit to spending time lurking over there.It's better entertainment than on TV, more comedy and better drama.:D

nrc
11-18-06, 08:46 PM
Be careful. With all the gomers spinning so furiously the forces might just turn back time and allow them to warn Tony. Oh that's right, they probably already did and he was just unable to do anything about it. :gomer:

Oh wait, no, that's right. He didn't want to do anything about it. Yeah, that's it. They went back and discovered that Tony made this deal and it's all part of his plan. :tony:

Spicoli
11-19-06, 01:09 AM
Be careful. With all the gomers spinning so furiously the forces might just turn back time and allow them to warn Tony. Oh that's right, they probably already did and he was just unable to do anything about it. :gomer:

Oh wait, no, that's right. He didn't want to do anything about it. Yeah, that's it. They went back and discovered that Tony made this deal and it's all part of his plan.

:laugh: :laugh: :thumbup:

formulaben
11-19-06, 03:10 PM
ESPN-ONTRACK?
Hmmm, I used to love OnTrack magazine. Thanks for the memories.

This may have been mentioned before, but I just realized the possibility that we MAY have Champ Car in HDTV next year! :thumbup:

Spicoli
11-19-06, 03:16 PM
Hmmm, I used to love OnTrack magazine. Thanks for the memories.

This may have been mentioned before, but I just realized the possibility that we MAY have Champ Car in HDTV next year! :thumbup:

Yes. And according to IglooCentral, fTG is building the trucks for these mobile HD needs and we'll again be "got" by fTG.

Insomniac
11-19-06, 05:29 PM
Yes. And according to IglooCentral, fTG is building the trucks for these mobile HD needs and we'll again be "got" by fTG.

He's really sticking it to us by making us use his trucks to get our races in HD...