PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions after a day of driving

Al Czervik
11-15-06, 11:35 PM
1.) Is there some reason why trucks (18 wheel variety) are not required to have fenders and wheel skirts? Driving on the superslabs during rain is really annoying when you have to put up with the spray from them.

2.) Is there a super-secret course that all SUV and pickup owners must take so that when they are behind you at a stop light their headlights shine into your left side review mirror? I swear that they can drive down the middle of the lane until a red light, then its move to the left. I think I'm gonna patent a stick-on plain mirror for cars that'll reflect the headlights right back at the hilljacks that do this.

chop456
11-15-06, 11:47 PM
If your mirrors are adjusted properly, it'd be impossible to see their headlights in your left side mirror. :D

Spicoli
11-16-06, 12:35 AM
:tony:

http://www.popnews.com/popnews/iamklootitw/iamkloot2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbbdjX5uCM4

Cam
11-16-06, 01:02 AM
I am still trying to figure out why some A-Hole has to sit 6 inches off my rear bumper when I am sitting behind a Semi in a massive traffic jam.

Where the F*** am I supposed to go Jerkwad?

Lizzerd
11-16-06, 01:32 AM
Break check the idiot when you get to 15 mph.

rosawendel
11-16-06, 09:40 AM
Where the F*** am I supposed to go Jerkwad?

being stuck in traffic, i've thought about this argument often. if you play out the dialogue this way, the response from the driver behind you would obviously be "to hell".

still, i feel your pain. if it wasn't for idiots, the rest of us wouldn't look so good.

when that happens, i go out of my way to make sure the guy behind me is stuck there: pacing the car to the right, etc...

KLang
11-16-06, 10:34 AM
when that happens, i go out of my way to make sure the guy behind me is stuck there: pacing the car to the right, etc...

You sound as evil as me. :laugh: Gotta do something to entertain ourselves during our commute. :p

racermike
11-16-06, 11:02 AM
Its funny driving here in Florida, where people DONT let you merge in when getting onto freeway, or a lane is ending.

I have always been very courteous, and speed up or down to let people merge in without having to stop. Down here though, you make the room, and they act totally confused like they were not expecting you to let them in.

Andrew Longman
11-16-06, 12:37 PM
Its funny driving here in Florida, where people DONT let you merge in when getting onto freeway, or a lane is ending.

I have always been very courteous, and speed up or down to let people merge in without having to stop. Down here though, you make the room, and they act totally confused like they were not expecting you to let them in.

Stay out of Jersey on ramps. No one moves for you and you take life in your hands. Of course they couldn't move over if they wanted to because there is likely a full lane of traffic in the left lane.

You have to look back for an opening and judge whether you need to completely gas it or stop before you run out of on-ramp, in which case you are likely to get rear ended by the guy behind you because he is looking backwards for a gap as well.

I am always surprised when I drive somewhere like MI and see people moving over for entering traffic.

rabbit
11-16-06, 12:47 PM
My biggest driving pet peeve: people driving 45 mph on the entrance ramp and waiting until they are actually on the interstate to accelerate up to 65 or 70. :flame:

cameraman
11-16-06, 06:10 PM
You my full agreement there. Unlike the on the coasts some of the on ramps around here can be close to half a mile long. There are still people puttering along at 50 at the end of them:flame:

Sean O'Gorman
11-16-06, 06:19 PM
I used to have a problem with bad drivers until I realized that without them, I'd be without a job. :)

rabbit
11-16-06, 06:28 PM
You my full agreement there. Unlike the on the coasts some of the on ramps around here can be close to half a mile long. There are still people puttering along at 50 at the end of them:flame:

Makes you want to bump draft, doesn't it? :D

race chica
11-16-06, 07:14 PM
One day i was talking (yeah, bad idea already) and came up with a good way to piss people off. Make them take a mini version of the temps test to refresh driving rules when they have to renew their license. In WI i think that would be about once every 10 years.

But yea- People waiting to speed up until they are on the freeway is stupid, and when people dont let you in (aka the Parkway and Beltway in DC) they should just be catapultted out of the way.

Ankf00
11-16-06, 07:19 PM
Be like Spickly, drive a Ford F-750 Boeing Edition. :tony:

Or invest in a new Canyonero.

Spicoli
11-16-06, 07:44 PM
Be like Spickly, drive a Ford F-750 Boeing Edition. :tony:

Or invest in a new Canyonero.

One day Ank. one day....:D

http://redferret.net/Images/extremeford_small.jpg

Elmo T
11-16-06, 08:15 PM
Stay out of Jersey on ramps. No one moves for you and you take life in your hands.

I like how each traffic circle seems to have its own rules. Traffic in the circle has the right of way, except where it doesn't. :eek: :shakehead

dando
11-17-06, 12:27 AM
My biggest driving pet peeve: people driving 45 mph on the entrance ramp and waiting until they are actually on the interstate to accelerate up to 65 or 70. :flame:

Well there's that and the Ohio left lane drivers. Freeways in Ohio resemble NASCAR packs with long lines of cars drafting in the left lane. :flame:

-Kevin

rabbit
11-17-06, 01:12 AM
Well there's that and the Ohio left lane drivers. Freeways in Ohio resemble NASCAR packs with long lines of cars drafting in the left lane. :flame:

-Kevin
That can be a bad and/or good thing. I got in one of those freight trains doing 80 from Toledo to Lima. Made great time that trip. :thumbup: What sucks is when a semi going 57 decides to pass another semi doing 56 and pulls out in front of the train. :irked:

dando
11-17-06, 01:29 AM
That can be a bad and/or good thing. I got in one of those freight trains doing 80 from Toledo to Lima. Made great time that trip. What sucks is when a semi going 57 decides to pass another semi doing 56 and pulls out in front of the train. :irked:

Yeah, but I wanna go 85. :gomer: Trust me there's a marked difference once ya pass the OH state line. Every year we drive out to NJ, most folks behave in WV, PA and NJ, but once we're into Ohiya, I might as well be driving Tallydega. :\ Ah well, just my pet peeve since I was trained to pass left, stay right. :)

-Kevin

Tifosi24
11-17-06, 02:18 AM
My biggest pet peeve in the car is when I have to pass people on the right, not only I am waiting to get run off the road it just goes against the laws of nature. In Wisconsin they must not teach people how to change lanes, because in my 15 months of living here I have never had to pass so many people on the right. Nothing like someone cruising down I-94 at 64mph in the left lane. Surprisingly, there is a 50/50 chance sad individual isn't grandma out driving on the interstate for no reason.

Andrew Longman
11-17-06, 04:25 AM
I like how each traffic circle seems to have its own rules. Traffic in the circle has the right of way, except where it doesn't. :eek: :shakehead

Or when different parts of the circle have different rules. Flemington 202/31 being the worse. Hint: road with the most traffic wins.

spinner26
11-17-06, 12:04 PM
That can be a bad and/or good thing. I got in one of those freight trains doing 80 from Toledo to Lima. Made great time that trip. :thumbup: What sucks is when a semi going 57 decides to pass another semi doing 56 and pulls out in front of the train. :irked:

Try being a 75mph. truck driver and having to pass the law abiding 55mph. and the 80mph. "four wheelers" won't let you in their little procession.:flame:

Better than that is when little jackazz johnny in his hopped up Subaru or neon or Bimer decides that he's gonna go from 80 to right in front of you in an 80k lb. truck and beat you to the beginning of a construction zone or exit ramp.:flame:

rabbit
11-17-06, 12:15 PM
Try being a 75mph. truck driver and having to pass the law abiding 55mph. and the 80mph. "four wheelers" won't let you in their little procession.:flame:

Better than that is when little jackazz johnny in his hopped up Subaru or neon or Bimer decides that he's gonna go from 80 to right in front of you in an 80k lb. truck and beat you to the beginning of a construction zone or exit ramp.:flame:

One of the biggest problems with Ohio highways is the 65 mph speed limit for cars and 55 mph limit for trucks. Whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a bunch of 18-wheeled rolling chicanes on a busy highway needs to be publicly flogged. (Not dissing on the truck drivers. I have nothin' but love for 'em. Just complaining about the stupid law.)

And I-75 needs to be three lanes all the way from Toledo to Cincinnati. It gets waaaay too much traffic for it to only be two lanes. But the wonderful planners of said stretch of road didn't leave enough room for expansion, so we're stuck with more arterial congestion than A.J. Foyt. :shakehead

oddlycalm
11-17-06, 03:15 PM
What sucks is when a semi going 57 decides to pass another semi doing 56 and pulls out in front of the train. :irked: What sucks even worse is when it happens on a 9 mile long 7% upgrade and the trucks are going 27mph and 28mph respectively. :(

oc

cameraman
11-17-06, 03:30 PM
What sucks even worse is when it happens on a 9 mile long 7% upgrade and the trucks are going 27mph and 28mph respectively. :(

oc

That happens all day long every single day around here except there is usually an rv hauling a boat doing 17 being passed by the semi doing 27 with a second semi doing 37 in the left lane cause he ain't going to lose that momentum for anything:rolleyes:

Walter Zoomie
11-18-06, 10:19 PM
http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/news/law/index.htm

As a matter of safety and courtesy, we certainly encourage drivers on freeways to change lanes if possible or adjust their speed so that merging vehicles can enter the main highway safely and get into the traffic flow quickly, says State Patrol Superintendent David Collins "However, drivers merging from a ramp onto a highway should be aware that vehicles on the main freeway have the right-of-way and are not required to move over.

oddlycalm
11-19-06, 05:21 PM
Back in the 1960's the Michigan highway department had the most effective series of public service advertising on TV that I've ever seen. The hypothetical situations were all different but the bottom line of the commentator's script was always the same; the driver with the right of way was in the right, dead right, and as he said that at that moment of coming together the footage froze.

The message was clear and powerful and the ad campaign was well regarded, even among us younger drivers for whom "dead right" become something of a popular expression.

Rather than focusing on drunks, high speed drivers or others unlikely to pay any attention it focused on honest mistakes average driver make and planted a strong subconscious message. Those ads helped Michigan drivers transition to freeway driving during the build out of the interstate highways and elevated many people's game, including my own and those messages remain burned into my awareness 40yrs later.

oc

Cam
11-19-06, 05:34 PM
Back in the 1960's the Michigan highway department had the most effective series of public service advertising on TV that I've ever seen. The hypothetical situations were all different but the bottom line of the commentator's script was always the same; the driver with the right of way was in the right, dead right, and as he said that at that moment of coming together the footage froze.

The message was clear and powerful and the ad campaign was well regarded, even among us younger drivers for whom "dead right" become something of a popular expression.

Rather than focusing on drunks, high speed drivers or others unlikely to pay any attention it focused on honest mistakes average driver make and planted a strong subconscious message. Those ads helped Michigan drivers transition to freeway driving during the build out of the interstate highways and elevated many people's game, including my own and those messages remain burned into my awareness 40yrs later.

oc

The moral: Better driver training. When parents with bad driving habits teach their offspring to drive, the bad habits are handed down.

Solution: Mandatory Drivers Ed, from a qualified instructor.

grungex
11-19-06, 06:54 PM
A better solution would be to make the drivers test a real test of skill and knowledge, instead of the joke it is today. You can't get a license in the UK or Europe without demonstrating the proper capabilitiess.