PDA

View Full Version : Photo sites recommendations needed

TravelGal
11-15-06, 07:13 PM
Grungex's Mexico City snaps made me realize that I don't know which are the preferred sites for photos these days. I have never uploaded my stuff but I've decided now is the time to learn to do it.

A friend uses snapfish, which has gotten me ads from them about every other day, so that's out. Another friend uses PhotoBucket but it sounds massively complicated. Kodak works well from a viewer's standpoint but I don't know how easy it is to upload. I've been told that ImageShack lets you upload the whole lot at one time if you're using Firefox (I am) so that seems like quite a time saver. I see that Gungex chose MyPhotoAlbum.

Anyone have a favorite and a particular reason why?

Thanks. I've got a few hundred Tahiti pics that I'd like to put up for other agent friends (dull stuff like here's the bathroom at the Sofitel) but some pretty nice ones too that would be fit for public consumption.

grungex
11-15-06, 07:52 PM
MyPhotoAlbum works very well with Firefox now, you can upload everything at once.

Pros: Seemingly unlimited photos can be uploaded, they don't resize your pics, automatic thumbnails and medium photos generated, quite a few customization options for your site, basically free.

Cons: You have to buy something from them at least once a year to keep your pictures accessible, but even a single print qualifies, and their pricing is competitive. As we discovered, hotlinking of pics is prevented, as is saving of pics by people browsing (though this could also be a good thing, and Firefox seems to make it possible).

Yahoo is teh suck. Snapfish is too. Since I work for Kodak, you would think I'd prefer kodakgallery.com (http://www.kodakgallery.com), but it's more useful for getting your pics printed. You can't view full-size photos online with any of these services (and many others I've come across), which makes them poor choices for sharing. Let us know how you make out.

RHR_Fan
11-15-06, 08:14 PM
Photobucket isn't too compliated. You can only upload 5 photos at a time so if you have a lot in an album it'll take some time. I used Imagestation before and you can upload at least 20 pictures at a time, but the site automatically makes them about a 600x600. You can't change the image size, and that's the main reason why I switched over to photobucket.

~Nicole

Cam
11-15-06, 08:36 PM
hotlinking of pics is prevented, as is saving of pics by people browsing (though this could also be a good thing, and Firefox seems to make it possible).

Right click "View Image". Right Click "Save Image as". ;)

grungex
11-15-06, 09:16 PM
Right click "View Image". Right Click "Save Image as". ;)

Not if you're using Internet Exploder. A popup dialog appears as soon as you right-click informing you that you can't save pics.

TravelGal
11-15-06, 10:27 PM
MyPhotoAlbum works very well with Firefox now, you can upload everything at once.

Pros: Seemingly unlimited photos can be uploaded, they don't resize your pics, automatic thumbnails and medium photos generated, quite a few customization options for your site, basically free.

Cons: You have to buy something from them at least once a year to keep your pictures accessible, but even a single print qualifies, and their pricing is competitive. As we discovered, hotlinking of pics is prevented, as is saving of pics by people browsing (though this could also be a good thing, and Firefox seems to make it possible).

Yahoo is teh suck. Snapfish is too. Since I work for Kodak, you would think I'd prefer kodakgallery.com (http://www.kodakgallery.com), but it's more useful for getting your pics printed. You can't view full-size photos online with any of these services (and many others I've come across), which makes them poor choices for sharing. Let us know how you make out.

Sorry to repeat the whole thing but to comment, I just took a look at my friend's kodakgallery stuff. She sends about 100 pictures of her little girl every month. Sweet!

The Kodak thing has pictures just as large as the ones on MyPhotoAlbum. On my screen they are somewhat larger than 4 x 6". The main difference I see is that with Kodak, you see all the thumbprints across the bottom for the whole album. You can move your mouse over the rows of thumbprints and they become somewhat larger. That is, large enough to tell which is which. That enables you to get to any of the photos from the one on the screen in front of you. Seems like a good idea.

I may try both. That is really being a glutton for punishment!

grungex
11-15-06, 10:34 PM
It won't hurt to try, and costs nothing to do so. Just make sure you buy Kodak prints! ;)

As far as the full-size thing goes, try clicking on one of the thumbnails pics in my album, then click on the bigger picture that appears. That will be the actual full-size pic I'm talking about. I don't think kodakgallery will let you do that.

TravelGal
11-15-06, 10:48 PM
Are you saying size matters? :D

Actually, the thumbnails on your site are literally four times the size of the thumbnails on the Kodak easyshare. That means at least you can see what you are looking at if you want to look quickly at a whole page. That is a big advantage Kodak does not have.

The large photo is virtually the same size, on my screen at least. That is, a little larger than 4 x 6".

Edit: upon further thought NOW I GET IT. Cripes that's one big picture! And no, I don't think Kodak let's you do that.

Cam
11-15-06, 11:12 PM
Not if you're using Internet Exploder. A popup dialog appears as soon as you right-click informing you that you can't save pics.

One more reason to say no to IE! :D

RusH
11-15-06, 11:13 PM
Care2.com has a free photo album. It`s theoretically unlimited and you can upload folders of up to 200 pictures all at once. But the caveat is the 200 pictures a month limit.
Bad if you need all the photos uploaded all at once...good long term.

grungex
11-15-06, 11:28 PM
Are you saying size matters? :D

Actually, the thumbnails on your site are literally four times the size of the thumbnails on the Kodak easyshare.

You can decide what size you want the thumbnails to be, and how many appear on a page. They're quite a bit smaller by default.