PDA

View Full Version : So which was it?

cameraman
11-13-06, 02:59 PM
Briscoe's second tire failure. The television coverage said that Briscoe flat spotted it and it exploded. It must have been one hell of a lockup. Briscoe said "Later in the race, I had a small puncture and the right front tire exploded on the front straight."

So which was it, an epic flat spot or debris?

Ed_Severson
11-13-06, 10:42 PM
I can't answer with absolute certainty, but I spent the race out with the pit board guys and my station was right in the middle of the huge field of debris from the Legge/Dominguez incident. A lot of the smaller pieces were simply brushed to the side of the track on driver's right. After the rain hit us and the track started drying, several of the drivers were looking for puddles on that part of the racetrack, and Briscoe in particular went by a few times no more than a foot or two off the pit wall. I'd be really surprised if he didn't pick up a puncture on a stray piece of carbon fiber.

Easy
11-14-06, 10:46 AM
Daly was doing a little too much Bridgestone ass licking. He seemed to be implying that a puncture or tire failure from Bridgestone was not possible in the universe as we know it and it must be Briscoe's fault. But, we weren't expecting quality tv broadcasting were we?

cameraman
11-14-06, 01:49 PM
I thought it was a little strange to claim that Briscoe flat spotted the tire so badly that it shredded immediately.

G.
11-14-06, 02:15 PM
It was a bit over the top. but I can handle a little bit of syncof, synchoph, er, ass-licking for a sponsor that has supported the dying remnant series for these last few years.

It was an obviously pre-meditated bit, with the Bridgestone guy putting in his last shot (to paraphrase), "With the flat spotting and the debris, obviously the only tire story here is the slicks vs. the wets."

I saw through it, you saw through it, I don't care.

rabbit
11-14-06, 03:16 PM
It was a bit over the top. but I can handle a little bit of syncof, synchoph, er, ass-licking for a sponsor that has supported the dying remnant series for these last few years.

It was an obviously pre-meditated bit, with the Bridgestone guy putting in his last shot (to paraphrase), "With the flat spotting and the debris, obviously the only tire story here is the slicks vs. the wets."

I saw through it, you saw through it, I don't care.
But right before that comment, I thought the piece was remarkably balanced for a paid piece. When Jon asked Speyer about the failures, he said (paraphrasing), "That's why we race, to find these things out."

Andrew Longman
11-14-06, 03:39 PM
"That's why we race, to find these things out."

Better there than on a Ford Explorer;)

cyclepath
11-16-06, 03:16 PM
The right rear tire was due to contact.. the front tire was flat spoted about a lap before it blew.

cyclepath
11-16-06, 03:18 PM
I can't answer with absolute certainty, but I spent the race out with the pit board guys and my station was right in the middle of the huge field of debris from the Legge/Dominguez incident. A lot of the smaller pieces were simply brushed to the side of the track on driver's right. After the rain hit us and the track started drying, several of the drivers were looking for puddles on that part of the racetrack, and Briscoe in particular went by a few times no more than a foot or two off the pit wall. I'd be really surprised if he didn't pick up a puncture on a stray piece of carbon fiber.

Well that would make sense.. but he blew a slick not a rain tire.

Ed_Severson
11-16-06, 04:37 PM
Well that would make sense.. but he blew a slick not a rain tire.

At what point in the race was this? Early on? I don't remember them switching back to dry tires after the rain came, but they might have.

cyclepath
11-16-06, 04:48 PM
as I recall they ran 2 sets of slicks, then 2 sets of rains and finnished (last 5 laps?)on slicks.

TravelGal
11-16-06, 08:39 PM
I thought it was a little strange to claim that Briscoe flat spotted the tire so badly that it shredded immediately.

Thank you thank you thank you.

One nice thing about reading these boards is that I find out I know more than I was afraid I didn't.

HEHEHEH. Too long at the computer today. Time for a Margiegarita.

cameraman
11-17-06, 12:54 AM
The right rear tire was due to contact.. the front tire was flat spoted about a lap before it blew.It really was due to a flat spot? One incident? How far did he drag it to do that? I can see it shredding if you flat spot it again and again and again until you finally kill it. But killing it in one corner:eek: What the heck did he do?

cyclepath
11-17-06, 01:10 AM
well, there is little rubber on the tires as it is. If the flat spot goes to the cords it can blow in just one turn if the stress is enough

grungex
11-17-06, 12:11 PM
I rather doubt that. That being said, once you flatspot it, every time you brake thereafter the tendency is for the tire to lock up in the same location, increasing the damage.

Dr. Corkski
11-17-06, 12:47 PM
I rather doubt that. That being said, once you flatspot it, every time you brake thereafter the tendency is for the tire to lock up in the same location, increasing the damage.:rofl:

:gomer: :gomer: :gomer:

grungex
11-17-06, 01:43 PM
I take it you disagree? Perhaps you should learn a bit more about racing than kissing up to Frenchmen. :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
11-17-06, 01:50 PM
Who to believe? Tire guy that works for Rusport or an ethug on teh interweb? :laugh:

grungex
11-17-06, 02:16 PM
Are you saying a flat-spotted tire won't lock up in the same spot?

cameraman
11-17-06, 02:25 PM
I just wish they had caught the skid on film. Nobody has dragged a tire that hard during a race in years. According to RD he had 7 laps on it when it blew. In on 17, shredded on 25. Somewhere it was stated that it was a single event that did it, round tire to square tire in one corner. That is what I find so hard to believe. Flat spotting it successively over a few laps anybody can do, all at once, that takes some doing.

Spicoli
11-17-06, 02:27 PM
I take it you disagree? Perhaps you should learn a bit more about racing than kissing up to Frenchmen. :laugh:

sizzle:gomer:

G.
11-17-06, 02:52 PM
OT: this is wierd. Often, I watch the races sort of in the background, pay attention, but not glued, bug-eyed to the tube.

Why do I seem to remember a yellow and white car flat spottin the **** out of his fr/rt tire with much drama from Daly. About a lap later, the car was a 3 wheeler.

When I saw the donut-worthy smoke (lil exaggeration) from the lock-up, I immediately thought, driver ERROR, not driver mistake. It was bad!

None of you saw this??

(also)
Am I nuts?

cameraman
11-17-06, 03:03 PM
Err, I wouldn't have asked if I had seen it. Could be I missed it as a two year old was "watching" the race with me. :confused:

G.
11-17-06, 03:24 PM
Err, I wouldn't have asked if I had seen it. Could be I missed it as a two year old was "watching" the race with me. :confused:Understood, but SOMEONE here should be able to back me up (or have me committed).

cyclepath
11-17-06, 09:27 PM
I rather doubt that. That being said, once you flatspot it, every time you brake thereafter the tendency is for the tire to lock up in the same location, increasing the damage.

Almost a good argument.. however data didn't show any lock-up after that, untill it blew.

cameraman
11-17-06, 10:42 PM
data didn't show any lock-up after that, until it blew.

Thanks

TravelGal
11-18-06, 02:13 AM
Well apparently the debris group has been outvoted by fact. Oh bother. :tony:

The major lock-ups that I remember were Ranger, lap after lap after lap after...

Derek daly
11-18-06, 10:16 AM
Briscoe's second tire failure. The television coverage said that Briscoe flat spotted it and it exploded. It must have been one hell of a lockup. Briscoe said "Later in the race, I had a small puncture and the right front tire exploded on the front straight."

So which was it, an epic flat spot or debris?

Derek daly
11-18-06, 10:27 AM
Apparently those idiots on the TV broadcast were right this time....according to Al Speyer from Bridgestone, the tire failure in question was caused by "severe customer abuse".....a brake lock up that went through the cords and blew out the tire......
I registerd with the Autoracing1 forum this week and within days was advised by one of its members that it was a "cesspool" for ranters.....so I left. He advised me to come over to this forum. I'm curious as to what heppens here. Is it a legit forum or a soap box for "cess poolers" ....I'm happy to discuss any aspect of Champ Car as long as thats what turns you on. If you are looking for the personal satisfaction of insulting us....well....I'll stick by one of my personal rules. and that is:.....Your company is like an elevator....it can take you up...or it can take you down.......Derek Daly

Derek daly
11-18-06, 10:29 AM
.....just one more question....why are people afraid to sign their name.....what are they afraid of.......?

grungex
11-18-06, 11:27 AM
How did you cut your head?

grungex
11-18-06, 11:28 AM
Almost a good argument.. however data didn't show any lock-up after that, untill it blew.
By data do you mean actual telemetry?

JT265
11-18-06, 11:59 AM
.....just one more question....why are people afraid to sign their name.....what are they afraid of.......?

In a word? Cesspoolers.

And a guy named Spicoli. He's about the only one around here that will bite you. :laugh:

Andrew Longman
11-18-06, 11:59 AM

Welcome Derek. This is indeed not a cesspool. We work hard to keep it that way. Screen names show a little creative expression. I have none. They also protect identities. I'm too stupid to care.

Spicoli
11-18-06, 12:11 PM

Hi. My names Spicoli. L;et me introduce myself.

I like long walks on the beach, holding hands, unicorns, and pictures. I'm looking for someone who will be able to appreciate me as not just an incredibly sexy piece of meat, but will care enough to get to know me as a person.

My turn ons are: cheetos, kissing, french poetry, flowers, romantic comedies, anything by Danielle Steel, chocolate, raspberries, strawberries, talking about feelings, long walks and people who are not afraid to cry.

My turn offs are: fried foods, arrogance, foul language, gouda, jock itch, people who can't open up, and people who are afraid to open up and show their true feelings.

Hobbies include: masturbation, touching myself, scab collecting, not bathing, breaking things, masturbation, PBR, probing myself, manicuring the mohawk I have shaved into my back that runs through the mud canyon and connects to the mohawk I have manicured in the front that runs in to the muff-stache, I have an extensive collection of dangerous and rare molds and spores, and lest I forget: masturbation.

Favorite food: The chewie tootse rolls I have been finding in the yard lately.

Welcome Derek! http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/medium/medium-smiley-133.gif

grungex
11-18-06, 12:12 PM
You don't like fried foods??? :rofl:

G.
11-18-06, 12:40 PM
Apparently those idiots on the TV broadcast were right this time....according to Al Speyer from Bridgestone, the tire failure in question was caused by "severe customer abuse".....a brake lock up that went through the cords and blew out the tire......
I registerd with the Autoracing1 forum this week and within days was advised by one of its members that it was a "cesspool" for ranters.....so I left. He advised me to come over to this forum. I'm curious as to what heppens here. Is it a legit forum or a soap box for "cess poolers" ....I'm happy to discuss any aspect of Champ Car as long as thats what turns you on. If you are looking for the personal satisfaction of insulting us....well....I'll stick by one of my personal rules. and that is:.....Your company is like an elevator....it can take you up...or it can take you down.......Derek DalyOf course we have our soap box moments. See here:

face of CC (http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11800)

I mean Mis Denver beating Miss Houston and the Ozzie chick? What up with that??:p

This is a great place. No cesspool, but we do have Spicoli, which sort of sounds like a bacteria that one might find at the bottom of said cesspoll. Just Kidding, Spikkly!

We talk about the Great, the Bad and the Ugly on all things Champ Car.

We talk about the Bad, the Ugly, and the Uglier about the IRL.

We can be harsh sometimes, but everyone here is a good person. Everyone.

We rant, sometimes, but there is no "Company" line, except "Intelligent Discussions about Champ Car".

And Barbeque. And Chili.

Welcome.

Sean O'Gorman
11-18-06, 12:49 PM
Haha, the Irish are multiplying on OC.

Peter Olivola
11-18-06, 01:40 PM
Probably a form of personal safety. There are those who think we live in a dangerous world. My own view is we live in a paranoid world. OTOH, being able to perform the virtual equivalent of throwing a bomb without having to deal with the consequences is appealing to some.

SteveH
11-18-06, 01:47 PM
Haha, the Irish are multiplying on OC.

No, it means now that Derek's here, you have to leave. :p

Derek daly
11-18-06, 05:56 PM
How did you cut your head?

.... met "Sugar Ray" Tracy at the wrong time.......Derek D

Cam
11-18-06, 06:01 PM

Derek, you will find this to be the most civil of the Champ Car forums. The others you will likely have to take rabies shots after each visit (or at least a long hot shower). ;)

Welcome, Cam. (Yes it's my name)

Derek daly
11-18-06, 06:02 PM
Probably a form of personal safety. There are those who think we live in a dangerous world. My own view is we live in a paranoid world. OTOH, being able to perform the virtual equivalent of throwing a bomb without having to deal with the consequences is appealing to some.

....the Irish are well accustomed to bombs....but we NEVER hide from our Detractors.....I might just answer those with names......not sure what to make of all this......

Derek daly
11-18-06, 06:04 PM
Of course we have our soap box moments. See here:

I mean Mis Denver beating Miss Houston and the Ozzie chick? What up with that??:p

This is a great place. No cesspool, but we do have Spicoli, which sort of sounds like a bacteria that one might find at the bottom of said cesspoll. Just Kidding, Spikkly!

We rant, sometimes, but there is no "Company" line, except "Intelligent Discussions about Champ Car".

And Barbeque. And Chili.

Welcome.

Great,,,,I'll stay for a while to see and experience......Derek D.

Spicoli
11-18-06, 06:12 PM
Great,,,,I'll

Hi paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!! :rofl:

eiregosod
11-18-06, 06:37 PM

holy imposter Batman!!!

is this the real Peter O. ? :D

emjaya
11-18-06, 08:48 PM
Of course we have our soap box moments. See here:

And Barbeque. And Chili.

Welcome.

I'm a good person? :gomer: :D

devilmaster
11-18-06, 09:17 PM

And Barbeque. And Chili.

And Hirschfeld.
:)

diamond dave
11-18-06, 09:21 PM
Holy HollyHocks...Daly is here:thumbup:
GrandMa must be on the whiskey:laugh:

Erin Go Bragh

RARules
11-18-06, 09:53 PM
...Must be nice to new members...

Derek, what's the story with the new television contract?

Lizzerd
11-18-06, 10:35 PM

With all due respect, please convince me that you are indeed Derek Daly.

Peter Olivola
11-19-06, 02:27 AM
As my father taught me, your sense of humor is exceeded only by your good looks.

holy imposter Batman!!!

is this the real Peter O. ? :D

Joelski
11-19-06, 02:27 AM
Welcome, whoever you are. Not sure we have to earn your respect, seeing as we've already recieved plenty of skepticism. BTW, I'm Irish, and I've never held onto my holyhocks. I've ansered to this nickname since long before the invention of the internet; it's a Jet Ski thing. Not sure why I am explaining this to you, but you might try respecting a person's choice of what they call theirself.

G.
11-19-06, 02:45 AM
I'm a good person? :gomer: :DI said everyone HERE. You're like, way over THERE. Beside I've seen the Mad Max movies. You guys scare me.

:p

And Derek, if it is really Derek, tell us something about yourself that ONLY YOU would know. Then we'll tell you if you're right or wrong.

Wait. That might not work...

Bob_S.
11-19-06, 02:51 AM
My real name is Donald Trump.
You're fired.

:rofl:

diamond dave
11-19-06, 11:45 AM

Lizzerd c'mon;)
can't you tell by the accent in his typing

SteveH
11-19-06, 02:17 PM

Come to think of it, are YOU the real Lizzerd? ;) :p

Spicoli
11-19-06, 03:17 PM
Hi Derek - this will prove you are who you are.

Do you know of a place that has community powered digital music?:D What's the name of that place? And can you pitch us on it?

Thanks.

TravelGal
11-19-06, 06:30 PM
Lizzerd c'mon;)
can't you tell by the accent in his typing

I was thinking I could tell by the accent in his typing that it *wasn't* him.

I'm a tad suspicious ever since Tony George started posting on CC websites. :tony:

But seriously folks, would a good Irishman walk away from a fight (as he intimated about AR1)?

edit: Here's another tester. When I asked you for a phone number at San Jose, what did you do?

grungex
11-19-06, 06:46 PM
The answer he gave me about the source of the cut on his head does sound rather like him. If he tells us the story he told Nemick last weekend regarding said cut I can confirm for sure...

grungex
11-19-06, 06:47 PM
dup

Tony George
11-20-06, 02:20 AM

Interesting choice ,,, of punctuation! :confused: :tony:

Spicoli
11-26-06, 10:37 AM
Now derek is over on AR1/msf boards saying this about Rusport:

DerekD

(post #88)

Its an existing CC team owner......Derek Daly

hmmmmm. Wonder if this comes true or not, but Derek needs to post back up over here please. *If this is, in fact Derek Daly....:confused: Seems to have run off, with no reason.

C'mon DD - let us in on this one! :D

NismoZ
11-26-06, 12:15 PM
(P) of PKV.