PDA

View Full Version : CC Companion Series...

NismoZ
11-12-06, 08:41 PM
For Ford's $225,000, 550 hp "Man Racer" Mustang FR500GT? Someone here asked a long time ago for a CC "wish list" and I included a Mustang series in mine. Complete with top driving talent, perhaps guest drivers and a championship all it's own, similar to that Porsche Cup race prior to to F-1 events. I could even see a special GT built up for Alex Zanardi in a guest appearance! Couldn't miss! Now...check out the latest Car & Driver...Dan Davis would like to show off the new King Of All Mustangs in just such a series, AND paired with ChampCar! Good show. Maybe a partial run as early as next season and a full schedule in '08? He even welcomes a new Trans Am Series vs. Camaro and Challenger.:thumbup:

Accipiter
11-12-06, 11:38 PM
Isn't this the same thing we were talking about way back when?

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10235

Did Dan Davis redress this old pig, or were Car & Driver just tardy about getting around to writing about it?

NismoZ
11-13-06, 12:49 PM
Nah, I think the difference is between the $125,000, 420hp, FR500C "Boy Racer" that has been in GA Cup for a couple of seasons and this new "Man Racer." I like the idea of the CC partner series being run with bigger, badder, faster Mustangs. The idea certainly isn't new, it just seems closer to fruition now. I'm hopeful. PS-thanx for dredging up the previous discussion. I was BRILLIANT, wasn't I!?

Accipiter
11-13-06, 01:47 PM
Well, yes you were. But you still haven't convinced me that we are talking about something differnet now.

This Autoweek story from back in April talks about a 550 HP Mustang, and that is the car I was saying should just be run in World Challenge. And IIRC, it's the car Gentilozzi tested back then too.

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060417/FREE/60412001/1001

Is there a new 550 HP Mustang out there that I don't know about?

NismoZ
11-14-06, 09:59 AM
No, same same, I'm sure. It just sounds closer to a done deal now to me and I'd much rather see a Mustang series race with CC (or evolve into a new Trans Am) than just see it join the World Challenge. Just me pushing an opinion. I have fond memories of the past and hopes for a better (racing) future.:)

Accipiter
11-14-06, 12:11 PM
I'd rather see World Challenge as a companion series to Champ Car with that Mustang in it. But if things work out the way you see it, I'm cool with that too.

NismoZ
11-14-06, 01:06 PM
I could tell where your 'druthers were.:D I was just thinking with a Ford owned and operated show and their historic connection to Cosworth and ChampCar that it might just be a better and less politically complicated plan that could be more beneficial to both organizations. Easier to control and promote.(?) After losing $1.6 billion recently I can't see how they'll do ANYthing anyway...unless they shift over some 'CAB support?:cool:

Accipiter
11-14-06, 04:18 PM
For a consumer product company trying to recover, I would say the last area you would want to cut is your marketing budget. And that's were Ford's meager racing funds come from. But I doubt we would see an increase in racing funds either.