PDA

View Full Version : What's going on @ RUSPORT?

Audi_A4
11-09-06, 04:34 PM
Are they shutting down?

nissan gtp
11-09-06, 04:37 PM
dang :mad:

nrc
11-09-06, 04:57 PM
What makes you think so?

KLang
11-09-06, 05:02 PM
All I've seen so far is a rumor started by RM and perpetuated by AR1. AR1 has since backed off.

Edit: AR1 has not backed off after all.

Tony George
11-09-06, 05:25 PM
Ask Wilke and indyJancool. They know everything! :tony: :tony:

nissan gtp
11-09-06, 05:34 PM
doesn't make much sense, but hey, it's champ car :saywhat:

at least we have a race this weekend :thumbup:

NismoZ
11-09-06, 05:58 PM
Efforts to sell have not worked out. Supposedly team members are free to look for other employment after Mexico city. Yikes. (I hear Dan Petitt might want to strike out on his own and the sale COULD take place this weekend.)

KLang
11-09-06, 06:00 PM
Efforts to sell have not worked out. Supposedly team members are free to look for other employment after Mexico city. Yikes.

RUMOR from you-know-where.

Spicoli
11-09-06, 06:11 PM
wtf?

lisa
11-09-06, 06:26 PM
Efforts to sell have not worked out. Supposedly team members are free to look for other employment after Mexico city. Yikes

That isn't totally true but it isn't totally false either.

KLang
11-09-06, 06:33 PM

Well that's pretty cryptic. :)

Cutting back to a single car operation perhaps?

Spicoli
11-09-06, 06:40 PM

http://www.freewebdesign.be/smileys/images/other/smile21.gif

Cam
11-09-06, 08:15 PM
Dammit Spic! Find a smaller wierdo icon! :tony:

You know where to find the answers! ;)

dando
11-09-06, 08:24 PM
Welcome to yesterday:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showpost.php?p=175681&postcount=13

:gomer:

:saywhat:

-Kevin

KLang
11-10-06, 07:45 AM
Efforts to sell have not worked out. Supposedly team members are free to look for other employment after Mexico city. Yikes. (I hear Dan Petitt might want to strike out on his own and the sale COULD take place this weekend.)

Now that part of the rumor has been removed. I think someone is yanking his chain. :tony:

lisa
11-10-06, 10:38 AM
Dammit Spic! Find a smaller wierdo icon! :tony:

You know where to find the answers! ;)

That's right Spic, you're in trouble now. :D

The selling of the team is a big possibility, could be within the next 3 weeks. The team members have been informed of what is going on, not everything of course. They went over the different scenario possibilities, but the team members haven't been told to go out and find new jobs.

I think there are just a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" right now

Insomniac
11-10-06, 12:02 PM
That's right Spic, you're in trouble now. :D

The selling of the team is a big possibility, could be within the next 3 weeks. The team members have been informed of what is going on, not everything of course. They went over the different scenario possibilities, but the team members haven't been told to go out and find new jobs.

I think there are just a lot of unknowns and "what ifs" right now

NismoZ said they were free to, not told to. I think he said what you just said.

Anteater
11-10-06, 02:12 PM
This item was posted on Wednesday 11/8:

"Join the RuSPORT Champ Car Team for a day at a mutually agreed upon racetrack during the 2007 Champ Car season."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061108/FREE/61106026/1049/FREE

Any takers?

G.
11-10-06, 02:51 PM
This item was posted on Wednesday 11/8:

"Join the RuSPORT Champ Car Team for a day at a mutually agreed upon racetrack during the 2007 Champ Car season."

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061108/FREE/61106026/1049/FREE

Any takers?Interesting. When they signed up to do this, they certainly assumed there would be a 2007 season for the team.

BTW, I thought that CARA was just aligned with ChampCar. Is CARA in all forms of motorsports?

theunions
11-10-06, 02:53 PM
BTW, I thought that CARA was just aligned with ChampCar. Is CARA in all forms of motorsports?

Champ Car, IRL and their support series, but I don't know if other sanctioning bodies are specifically excluded.

TKGAngel
11-10-06, 03:38 PM
Champ Car, IRL and their support series, but I don't know if other sanctioning bodies are specifically excluded.

I think NASCAR has their own CARA-esque organization.

Getting back to the RuSport situation, this probably hasn't been the best year for JW. Sure there's a good chance that he's going to end up 2nd in the points, but what has he had to endure this year? His teammate got canned, AJ's replacement had a life-threatening accident, JW goes out and breaks his wrist, and now Russo may be selling the team. What's next? Locusts?

KLang
11-11-06, 05:50 PM
AR1 (yeah I know ;) ) has quotes from KK about RuSPORT. He says the team is changing ownership but will remain intact, including two cars and CDW. He says the Calix investors are forcing Russo to spend more time managing the company.

The investors thing strikes me as being kinda wierd. I suspect the whole AJ thing plus what happened to CDM might have taken the wind out of Russo's sails in regard to racing.

Bottom line though is two RuSPORT cars on the grid. :thumbup:

dando
11-11-06, 06:14 PM
AR1 (yeah I know ;) ) has quotes from KK about RuSPORT. He says the team is changing ownership but will remain intact, including two cars and CDW. He says the Cirix investors are forcing Russo to spend more time managing the company.

The investors thing strikes me as being kinda wierd. I suspect the whole AJ thing plus what happened to CDM might have taken the wind out of Russo's sails in regard to racing.

Bottom line though is two RuSPORT cars on the grid. :thumbup:

Perhaps, but instead of 2 additional cars on the grid, this may mean a status quo on the field size. :\

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
11-11-06, 06:14 PM
This is what happens when a series is a glorified club racing series and not a true professional series. Do you see Roush or Hendrick or Frank Williams leaving NASCAR or F1 like rich guys leave Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, etc?

cameraman
11-11-06, 06:23 PM
The investors thing strikes me as being kinda wierd. The company is Calix. Given its size, I find it amazing that Russo has been able to devote as much time to Rusport as he has. I wouldn't be at all surprised that the venture capital folks would want the President & CEO of the company to fully focused on their investment instead of his hobby.

Rob
11-11-06, 06:23 PM
This is what happens when a series is a glorified club racing series and not a true professional series. Do you see Roush or Hendrick or Frank Williams leaving NASCAR or F1 like rich guys leave Champ Car, IRL, ALMS, etc?
You mean guys like Eddie Jordan, Paul Stoddart and the Russian who owned Midland?

KLang
11-11-06, 06:24 PM
Perhaps, but instead of 2 additional cars on the grid, this may mean a status quo on the field size. :\

-Kevin

KK says 22 cars on the grid. For whatever that's worth ;)

KLang
11-11-06, 06:26 PM
The company is Calix.

:o Thanks, corrected.

KLang
11-11-06, 06:27 PM

Thanks for watching anyway. :p

Sean O'Gorman
11-11-06, 06:35 PM
You mean guys like Eddie Jordan, Paul Stoddart and the Russian who owned Midland?

Were they front running teams like Rusport?

Spicoli
11-11-06, 06:48 PM
RuSport sold according eh-Ar one.

New owner announced tomorrow. prolly Dan Petit.

FCR! :flame:

:D

Rob
11-11-06, 06:49 PM
Were they front running teams like Rusport?
No, except for Jordan a few years before he left, but they certainly were "rich guys."

TKGAngel
11-11-06, 07:07 PM
RuSport sold according eh-Ar one.

New owner announced tomorrow. prolly Dan Petit.

So does PKV become KV (or just V) in light of this development?

theunions
11-11-06, 07:13 PM
So does PKV become KV (or just V) in light of this development?

Maybe PKV stays PKV and "P" goes from Pollock to Pettit to...Polestar???

Indy
11-12-06, 12:33 AM
That makes sense. PKV has been a train wreck. Katherine has not been treated well. The former PKV could be just Team Red Bull next year. The question is, does V go with the P or the K? I am betting on the P.

Bob_S.
11-12-06, 01:48 AM
If I had to guess, the V is going back to Cali. to sell cars and the premium clear coat finish option.:yuck:

Indy
11-12-06, 03:53 AM
If I had to guess, the V is going back to Cali. to sell cars and the premium clear coat finish option.:yuck:

That would not surprise me, either.

JT265
11-12-06, 08:40 AM

Honest question SeanO.

Using the old saw that after a period of time, people begin to resemble their dogs, would you, in your holier than thou opinion, say that fans of obnoxious looking dumbed down race cars operated and micro managed by the cornbread mafia begin to resemble the horrid looking pieces of crap in stature?

Or do they just become obnoxious period?

Spicoli
11-12-06, 10:25 AM
Honest question SeanO.

Using the old saw that after a period of time, people begin to resemble their dogs, would you, in your holier than thou opinion, say that fans of obnoxious looking dumbed down race cars operated and micro managed by the cornbread mafia begin to resemble the horrid looking pieces of crap in stature?

:rofl:

jonovision_man
11-12-06, 11:15 AM

A "rich guy" who owns part of a team is stepping up and owning a whole one.

There's more than one way of looking at this...

BTW - didn't this sale have something to do with da Matta?

jono

Methanolandbrats
11-12-06, 11:59 AM

NASCAR is a true "professional series". :saywhat:

lisa
11-12-06, 01:21 PM
I think NASCAR has their own CARA-esque organization.

Getting back to the RuSport situation, this probably hasn't been the best year for JW. Sure there's a good chance that he's going to end up 2nd in the points, but what has he had to endure this year? His teammate got canned, AJ's replacement had a life-threatening accident, JW goes out and breaks his wrist, and now Russo may be selling the team. What's next? Locusts?

And that is just the big stuff that has happened to the team. They have had a lot of little bad luck stuff too.

Last week on Saturday they had to leave to go to Texas to meet up to caravan into Mexico. When they went into work on Friday they discovered that someone at the trucking company next door had forgotten to set a parking brake or something like that on a truck. It had rolled back into one of RuSport's trucks and damaged it so it could not be driven. They were scrambling trying to find a rental truck. No one would rent them one since it was going into Mexico. They finally found some small race team that would rent theirs out and they rushed down to get it. Then it was a huge hassle and delays getting all the paperwork changed for the new truck to go into Mexico.

extramundane
11-12-06, 02:54 PM
Honest question SeanO.

http://img122.imageshack.us/img122/3669/p0wnediy0.jpg

NismoZ
11-12-06, 07:43 PM
So? They're sold and everything remains in place including Jeremy Dale and Justin? Sounds OK to me. Full sponsorship for the 10 car, too. KK doesn't sound too worried anyway, said "everything in CC is boring right now, There isn't any bad news and everything is going exactly as planned." :) :thumbup:

Anteater
11-12-06, 10:34 PM
And that is just the big stuff that has happened to the team. They have had a lot of little bad luck stuff too.
Yikes lisa, what a run of bad luck! I was worried about the possibility of bad weather in Denver delaying the RuSPORT transporters, but your story tops that!

Anyway, I hope it all works out.

nrc
11-13-06, 12:06 AM

Sounds like you're in the wrong place.

Spicoli
11-13-06, 08:41 AM
Sounds like you're in the wrong place.

:eek:

Insomniac
11-13-06, 04:35 PM
There were rumors that RuSPORT was almost sold to Paul Stoddart, then Dan Pettit and possibly the owner of Gulfstream but the only definitive fact emerging from the weekend was that Carl Russo is definitely not coming back.

But it's believed he's taking his company, Calix, public and that's why he's leaving racing.

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/33941/

nrc
11-13-06, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the team will be back regardless.

Team president Jeremy Dale indicated that RuSPORT and CDW would be back in 2007 "although we're not exactly sure what it's going to look like at this time. We hope to have it cleared up in the next few days."

Spicoli
11-13-06, 06:41 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/33941/

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11889

:)

(Boss gets a pass ;) )

nrc
11-13-06, 07:15 PM
http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11889

:)

(Boss gets a pass ;) )

Just keepin' the record straight. :gomer:

Spicoli
11-14-06, 06:09 AM
Gelles buying in? (rumored elsewhere....):confused:

trauma1
11-14-06, 12:20 PM
ask opinioated he says Gelles is out and will not be on the grid at LV, how ever his rumor record is worse that splyplanes:shakehead

G.
11-14-06, 12:32 PM
The word in Champ Car circles is that Carl Russo, the boss of the Rusport team is to leave the series next year. It remains to be seen what will happen with the team but new owners are being sought. The team has had discussions with Paul Stoddart, PKV partner Dan Pettit, a hugely-wealthy venture capitalist in the telecommunications business, and even with Gulfstream, a sponsor of PKV's Oriol Servia, but at the moment it is not clear what is going to happen, although the company president Jeremy Dale says that the team will be back next year, with its sponsorship from the CDW Corporation, an Illinois-based computer retailer.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17767.html

from aportinga, over yonder.

Spicoli
11-14-06, 02:49 PM
http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17767.html

from aportinga, over yonder.

a hugely-wealthy venture capitalist in the telecommunications business

#246, McCaw, Bruce R
Track This Person

| See all Networkers
55 , inherited
Source: Communications, telecom (quote, executives, news)

Net Worth: $940 mil
Hometown: Seatlle , WA

Marital Status: married , 2 children

One of four sons of John Elroy McCaw, early investor in cable TV. Second-oldest Craig took over cash-strapped company after fathers death in 1969; sold cable, reinvested in cellular phone networks. Sold McCaw Cellular to AT&T for $11.5 billion in 1993. Brothers dabble in business independently: Bruce founded race car company PacWest.

This could be it. Just think how bent our good buddy Jim would be ove this development. Somehow, somewhere, Jim got jilted by PacWest and hasn't recovered.

The meltdown would be epic.

"I'm melting...." :rofl:

Insomniac
11-14-06, 03:36 PM
(Boss gets a pass ;) )

My quotes were relevant to this RuSport thread. :p

Easy
11-15-06, 10:51 AM
ask opinioated he says Gelles is out and will not be on the grid at LV, how ever his rumor record is worse that splyplanes:shakehead

Reasons to ignore CCWS rumors generated by x.

1. He is a guest on, Fantasy Island.

2. He says Legge is too old for him, which I'm guessing puts him under 16.

3. He is a guest on, Fantasy Island.

trauma1
11-15-06, 12:37 PM
his better one, and he wonders why people bleieve he's the 4th coming of spyplane:shakehead

Matsuura and Sharp? :rofl: :rofl:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So says the word on the street in surfers...!?!:eek: