PDA

View Full Version : So you want to be a major league ball player...

rabbit
04-20-03, 07:43 PM
http://marcbreuers.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/sammy.jpg
Chicago Cubs' Sammy Sosa recoils as a fast ball from Pittsburgh Pirates' Salomon Torres shatters his helmet in the fourth inning Sunday April 20, 2003 in Pittsburgh. Sosa left the game. (AP Photo/Mike Longo)

:eek:

Lizzerd
04-20-03, 09:00 PM
I was beaned once while playing ball in college. I feel Sammy's pain...

RTKar
04-20-03, 09:42 PM
I nailed a kid when he squared around to bunt, the ball tipped off his bat, right onto his mouth. A year or two earlier I was smacked in the nose, broke it......but I still woulda played for food money.

chop456
04-21-03, 07:19 AM
On the subject of Cubs players getting beaned in the melon, SI had a fantastic (photo-wise) shot of Andre Dawson getting one right in the cheek about 15(?) years ago.

FWIW, I'd rather get hit with ten baseballs than one hockey puck or lacrosse ball.

RTKar
04-21-03, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by chop456
On the subject of Cubs players getting beaned in the melon, SI had a fantastic (photo-wise) shot of Andre Dawson getting one right in the cheek about 15(?) years ago.

FWIW, I'd rather get hit with ten baseballs than one hockey puck or lacrosse ball.

I went to high school with the girl that took that pic. A freelancer from Waukegan.

RichK
04-21-03, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
I went to high school with the girl that took that pic. A freelancer from Waukegan.

Incredible picture, especially considering the timing.

DaveL
04-21-03, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by chop456

That was 1987 and he was hit by Eric Show...one of biggest pieces of garbage to ever play in the majors.

The helmets are designed to break and dissapate the energy much in the same way race cars are designed to shed their parts. In both cases what looks really bad is actually a good thing.

Getting nailed by a baseball is part of the game. I was a full-time catcher and got hit in every unprotected part of my body. Among the hits were shots into my ribs and throat. I've since become a pitcher and had my share of line drives smashed right back at me. If you think about that sort of thing happening you'll never be able to play the game much in the same way racers would never be able to do their jobs if they were worried about crashing every lap.