PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth Blog

racer2c
11-02-06, 09:06 PM
So I’m killing time this afternoon and reading some internet news. I saw that Iran had announced some military exercises in response to some of ours in the region. I’ve always been somewhat of a military buff, especially those of developing countries. I find it interesting how they piece together Russian, Chinese and American, among others, planes, tanks and ships etc. Did you know Iran has a class of tank that is comprised of a combined Russian and American tank? Same with one of their fighters and they have two of our old warships from WW2 era!
I’ve always been a big fan of war movies, especially WW2 era. My first job out of college was with DLA (Defense Logistics Agency) in Alexandria VA, (the now defunct Cameron Station). When the mail came in I would intercept the magazines going to the colonels and generals. One in particular sticks in my memory, it was from Janes and instead of ads for cars, watches and booze, you would see ads of Italian made mobile artillery, and Argentinean made hand held rockets, it had a scratch and sniff that would give the aroma of gunpowder! Funny stuff.

Anyhoo, the page I’m reading on globalsecurity.org has the coordinates for airbases in Iran. I say to myself…time for some Google Earth fun. Sure enough, the very first coordinate dropped me right over a dozen Iranian jet fighters on the tarmac. Pretty cool so I thought I’d drop the coordinates for those also wanting to play with GE. 29 32 25.34 N 52 34 02.42 E

I think I’ll scope out DPRK to see if there is anything of interest. Post something if you know of it or find it.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/airfield.htm

cart7
11-02-06, 09:20 PM
Why isn't Champcar racing here? Track needs a little work but it's fairly close to an urban area.

38 50 36.07 N, 90 54 51.24 W

Tifosi24
11-02-06, 11:29 PM
Why isn't Champcar racing here? Track needs a little work but it's fairly close to an urban area.

38 50 36.07 N, 90 54 51.24 W

Great looking track in the woods, too bad it is about a mile from surburban sprawl development :( . We wouldn't want to disturb people in their tract housing.

devilmaster
11-03-06, 12:27 AM
one of the things I miss from being in the Navy is the intel.

The Signalman dept convinced the powers that be to have subscriptions like Jane's and pay the big bucks for the hardcover Fighting Ships and Planes. On ship those are always there, but at a training unit, it was good to have.