PDA

View Full Version : Hatin' on AJ - RM

Spicoli
10-31-06, 05:35 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=11027

About 10 days before Surfer's I called Gerry and asked if there was any good news on the Allmendinger Front? He replied that CSS wanted $3 million a year and there was no way he was going to pay that amount. I actually wrote a story for SPEEDTV.com that was posted for about 20 minutes with the headline: 'Forsythe Accepts Allmendinger Won't Be Back in '07' before Forsythe called and asked if we could kill that story because he'd just heard from A.J.'s representatives and they wanted to re-negotiate.

One of A.J.'s subordinates even acted liked she was still trying to "negotiate" with Peter Davies, the senior VP of business development for Forsythe, during the weekend. When A.J. got back to the USA he called Forsythe, along with agent Adrian Sussman, to inform the co-owner of Champ Car he was heading south.

I won't tell you the lame excuse they offered for their final decision but I can tell you that Forsythe is still laughing about it.

:saywhat:

Dumbazz. :shakehead

Enjoy the necksleds....

racer2c
10-31-06, 05:42 PM
:rofl:

The excuse was the fiancee wanted to go to NASCAR.

[/insider]

TRANSAM
10-31-06, 06:08 PM

[/insider]

Since she's a chiropractor ,you'd think she'd want him to go to the IRL.Think of all the new clients she could get.

She could get Dario and his wife.The wife loves any kind of treatment program.

Zeki_06
10-31-06, 07:13 PM
Since she's a chiropractor ,you'd think she'd want him to go to the IRL.Think of all the new clients she could get.

She could get Dario and his wife.The wife loves any kind of treatment program.

:thumbup: Thats very funny seriously.

eiregosod
10-31-06, 07:24 PM
I hope Aj does well in NASCAr, 'cos champcar don need a top driver who has the "couldn't make it in NASCAr" tag on him.

Fio1
11-01-06, 03:05 AM

[/insider]

Are you serious? I thought this the first time I met AJ dorkmindinger like 5 years ago when he started doing the Barber series, but kept quite, hoping things would change (like Jeff Gordon), but I guess they haven't. You can take the kid out of a small hick town, but you can't take the small hick town out of the kid.....:shakehead

racer2c
11-01-06, 09:05 AM
Are you serious? I thought this the first time I met AJ dorkmindinger like 5 years ago when he started doing the Barber series, but kept quite, hoping things would change (like Jeff Gordon), but I guess they haven't. You can take the kid out of a small hick town, but you can't take the small hick town out of the kid.....:shakehead

I'm as much of an insider as Marksee. ;)

But trauma1 reported that miz AJ was letting it known to those within ear shot that they were heading to NASCAR the Wednesday before it was announced.

oddlycalm
11-01-06, 04:01 PM
miz AJ was letting it known to those within ear shot that they were heading to NASCAR the Wednesday before it was announced. The irony is that things are very unlikely to go the way she imagines. Living on the road endlessly gets old fast and so does constantly having to defend your turf against ever younger bimbos with bigger hair. We've already seen how deep AJA's loyalty runs and how he approaches trading up.

In the end these are kids and they make kid decisions. To Jakobi, Sussman and company (CSS) AJA is simply a property, something to be developed and exploited for gain. By the time AJ and the wide-eyed young fiance figure out that sometimes less is more it will be years too late. NASCAR will always be there, but it's a dead end destination once you go. The time to drive formula cars is while you're young.

oc

cameraman
11-01-06, 04:08 PM
NASCAR will always be there, but it's a dead end destination once you go. So is F1:rolleyes:

I don't watch the cabs but I really don't see how people like Mark Martin and Jr. could be considered to have suffered from being trapped in a dead end job.

GOFAST1
11-01-06, 04:22 PM
f aj and nascar,

mueber
11-01-06, 05:01 PM
I don't hate him, and the F this and F that stuff got old years ago. He went for the money. That's been the norm for how long now?

Watch the races; ignore the participants. If you can’t stop yourself from leaning into a left hook, cheer for Bruno, or someone like him. He, more than most, seems to really like being in Champ Car.

racer2c
11-01-06, 05:06 PM
So is F1:rolleyes:

I don't watch the cabs but I really don't see how people like Mark Martin and Jr. could be considered to have suffered from being trapped in a dead end job.

I assume he means 'outsiders' like AJ, Christian Fittipaldi, Boris Said, Steve Kinser and Bob Keselowski etc. Drivers that weren't sons of NASCAR Champs or nurtured through the 'good ol' boy' ladder system or who entered the sport before it was a 'media wide' juggernaught.

G.
11-01-06, 05:52 PM

If AJA doesn't do better than midpacker, then his racing days may be over.

That's how I read it.

Lizzerd
11-01-06, 06:12 PM
If AJA doesn't do better than midpacker, then his racing days may be over.

That's how I read it.

See: Michael Waltrip.

doppelganger
11-01-06, 06:23 PM
One would think after seeing CASCAR in Toronto, the future Mrs. would think twice about where AJ goes.

racer2c
See: Michael Waltrip.

Yes and add in 20 more career mid-packers. The difference is that AJ is an outsider, Waltrip isn't. There are good ol' boy politics that occur in the NASCAR garage that people aren't aware of. It's a crap shoot if you come in new whether 'they' will accept you. Too much of a spotlight is on Montoya for there to be much of an 'acceptance' party, but not so much AJ, especially eight months from now when he's struggling to stay in the top 20 and the announcers keep referring to him as AJ from the open wheel ranks or "the other side" as some of them like to say.

oddlycalm

I don't watch the cabs but I really don't see how people like Mark Martin and Jr. could be considered to have suffered from being trapped in a dead end job. Actually, F1 is not a dead end at all. The list of former F1 drivers, including several WDC winners, that went elsewhere and were successful is relatively long. What I meant is that nobody ever leaves NASCAR to go anywhere else.

Actually, Mark Martin is a perfect example in some ways as he was a driver that would have succeeded in any kind of car in his early years. I've seen him on the same road course CCWS uses here in Portland and he knows what he's doing. He's still very competitive in all three NASCAR series at an age that most drivers are long since retired. He could have had a full career before NASCAR and still done a lot of what he's accomplished there. I figure he drives all three NASCAR series because he loves to race and like variety, something NASCAR doesn't offer much of. Sure, he's won a lot of races and made a lot of money, but it's pretty much the same experience over and over again. Wouldn't be my choice.

oc

Andrew Longman
11-01-06, 07:10 PM
Could it be that having finally won, and won repeatedly AJ doesn't want to have to keep winning to get his payday?

He could win half as much an Mickey Waltrip and earn more in one year of NASCAR than in a career in CC. Secure with the warm fuzzy memories of a few magnificent wins, it gets easier to accept a mid pack career year in NASCAR. Beats roofing houses or whatever else AJ is actually qualified to do.

I don't like it and it doesn't inspire me as a fan, but I don't think Mark Martin is all that bothered by is failure to win a championship. He has to be pretty satisfied with how he's spent his weekends to last many years

That all said, I will not begrudge AJ is payday and I won't root against him. But he will never hold the place in my heart he could have had along with PN, JV, PT, KK, CdM and a few others who stood by the series when it was down and made personal sacrifices and investment because they thought it was the right thing to do or at least how they were going to be the most happy. AJ could have been a fan favorite in a small albeit growing series. Instead he will be just another American driver among 43 in a bigger, better paying series having a lot less satisfaction and hoping he's still relevant in three years.

But he won't have to work another day in his life should he choose to.

G.
11-01-06, 07:17 PM
See: Michael Waltrip.Never heard of him. Should I know who he is?:confused:

;)

Jervis Tetch 1
11-01-06, 09:40 PM
:laugh:

Indy
11-01-06, 10:02 PM
Watch the races; ignore the participants.

Exactly. Being a driver fan is like marrying for the sex (which is another thing AJ will learn soon enough).

racer2c
11-02-06, 12:53 PM
Forsythe, who had first offered Allmendinger a two-year contract at $500,000 and $750,000 with added incentives before reportedly upping it to five years for something in the neighborhood of $5 million, said he wanted to keep the talented Californian but not at $3 million a year.

Link (http://www.speedtv.com/commentary/33738/)

One million a year with a five year contract to run 15 races.

Hey AJ....:gomer:

dando
11-02-06, 01:01 PM

Careful what ya ask fer... :)

-Kevin

Spicoli
11-02-06, 01:06 PM

Yep. big fish in small pond with lotsa time off and a truly international schedule beats small fish in a big pond with weekly goobfests and 2 road courses and being Yoda's whipping boy/test dork douchebag hosehead punk.

Hey AJ - you're a dumbdick! :gomer:

TKGAngel
11-02-06, 01:09 PM
It's easy to label him a turncoat like several racing chat rooms have or call him unappreciative, yet this deal has likely set him for life so how can you fault him?

Alright, which of you is RM? :)

G.
11-02-06, 01:13 PM
Alright, which of you is RM? :)
Allmendinger going to NASCAR still isn't as hard to fathom as Juan Montoya's leap of faith to those 3,500 pound turds.No kidding! Fess up!

cameraman
11-02-06, 01:16 PM
If those numbers are accurate...

Five years & five million...

Well he damn well better make the chase:shakehead

:shakehead

Insomniac
11-02-06, 02:57 PM
I'm confused. How is $5M over 5yrs > $9M over 3yrs?

cameraman
11-02-06, 03:12 PM
Everybody knows he can succeed in Champ Cars. If it is not successful in cabs he isn't going to stay there for three years. Maybe he makes it, quite possible that he doesn't. 5 million and a much lighter work load or maybe 9 million with triple the work load.

The bird in hand...

racer2c
11-02-06, 03:15 PM
I'm confused. How is $5M over 5yrs > $9M over 3yrs?

No one is saying it is. The point being...GF wasn't offerring chump change as had been suggested and a million a year and a five year contract for 15 races is pretty decent for CC.

Like Steven Corbert would say AJ was "just mouthing words.".

Buh-bye AJ.

oddlycalm
11-02-06, 08:29 PM
Everybody knows he can succeed in Champ Cars. If it is not successful in cabs he isn't going to stay there for three years. Maybe he makes it, quite possible that he doesn't. 5 million and a much lighter work load or maybe 9 million with triple the work load.

The bird in hand... Exactly right, not to mention he coulda done nearly that well without the management team which would have drastically changed the gross/net ratio.

Also, all those people including RM that keep talking about a $3 million a year deal setting a kid AJA's age up for life are living in some kind of alternate reality.

oc

RHR_Fan
11-02-06, 10:13 PM
If those numbers are accurate...

Five years & five million...

Well he damn well better make the chase:shakehead

Now that would be interesting if he made the chase.

~Nicole

devilmaster
11-03-06, 12:43 AM
Does those numbers include monies he might make in commercials and everything?

I keep thinking back to a movie quote - 'Barf, we're not doing it for the money..... we're doing it for a s**tload of money!'

Easy
11-03-06, 11:04 AM
Probably does not include commercials and such. Not to mention the personal endorsement deals he will now have access to that he wouldn't as a pointy car driver. Also, personal appearances and to quote the same movie, "Moichandising".

He will make exponentially more money on the Nascar gravy train.

dando
11-03-06, 12:13 PM
He will make exponentially more money on the Nascar gravy train.

Potentially. But how much do you think guys like Rubby are making on the side?

-Kevin

devilmaster
11-03-06, 12:31 PM

-Kevin

If toyota wants to do some commercials like Honda did with Chip's drivers in CART, then yes, the money is going to flow. I don't expect Red Bull to drastically change their ad campaigns of crappy animation. But I fully expect Toyo to use them.

dando
11-03-06, 12:44 PM
If toyota wants to do some commercials like Honda did with Chip's drivers in CART, then yes, the money is going to flow. I don't expect Red Bull to drastically change their ad campaigns of crappy animation. But I fully expect Toyo to use them.

AJ looking for snipe? :gomer: :saywhat:

-Kevin

Cam
11-03-06, 01:07 PM

-Kevin

:laugh: :laugh:

devilmaster
11-03-06, 01:12 PM

-Kevin

People still remember it almost 10 years on

Easy
11-03-06, 01:38 PM

-Kevin

AJ fits the prototype much better than Rubby. He'll have a fake southern twang by New Year's a la Biffle (Warshington) and Stremme (behind the Cheddar Curtain).

"We run real good today."

dando
11-03-06, 01:49 PM
AJ fits the prototype much better than Rubby. He'll have a fake southern twang by New Year's a la Biffle (Warshington) and Stremme (behind the Cheddar Curtain).

"We run real good today."

True, but the point is that if he ain't runnin' up front, he'll soon be forgotten...unless ya gots the look ala Mikey Waltrip. :saywhat: :yuck:

-Kevin

Insomniac
11-03-06, 01:55 PM
No one is saying it is. The point being...GF wasn't offerring chump change as had been suggested and a million a year and a five year contract for 15 races is pretty decent for CC.

Ohhh, okay. I personally assumed he made a fair offer in ChampCar terms. Toyota has a lot more money to spend/"invest".

Insomniac
11-03-06, 02:00 PM
Exactly right, not to mention he coulda done nearly that well without the management team which would have drastically changed the gross/net ratio.

Also, all those people including RM that keep talking about a $3 million a year deal setting a kid AJA's age up for life are living in some kind of alternate reality.

I'm not sure how far AJ would've gotten with no management/agent. These guys have other clients and have a feel for what is out there. I know a lot of people hate agents, but I bet salaries for engineers would be hire if we had agents. You wouldn't have the guy hired a year after you making 20% more than you.

Why don't you think $9M is enough money for you not to worry about money? I think that would be plenty for an average person/family. Now, if you wanted to live they typical celebrity's lifestyle, then I agree, not enough.

Fitti Fan
11-03-06, 02:16 PM
People still remember it almost 10 years on

It's a classic.

Fio1
11-04-06, 04:07 PM
The funny thing about Nascar now-a-days is that every year we are bombarded with 'the next Jeff Gordon', that it is becoming ridiculous. I watch the races now, and I think I'm watching the Busch series race. Who are all these guys? All the old-school guys are retiring, letting a bunch of no-name rookies in the series. Honestly, will anyone miss Sorensen, Gililand, Boywer, Mears, Hamlin, Yeley, Stremme, Menard, Kvafil, McMurray or Truex if they disapeared tomorrow? No! All these guys are in top winning cars, and can win a race any given Sunday, but they lack the apeal a Johnson, Stewart, Gordon or even Ricky Rudd have. Therefore, AJ is just another one of a dozen young guns that can easily be replaced with another 20-something, middle American, dorky kid with no personality, tomorrow. There are dozens of these guys around. In CCWS he was THE kid, with maybe 3-4 young guys coming up, now he shares that title with a dozen guys in Nextel Cup and 2 or 3 dozen guys knocking at the door; there are at least 2-dozen guys in busch & trucks that can become the next Kasey Kahne or Denny Hamlin over night.

My advice to AJ is to not turn down any Daytona Prototype offers, because in 2-3 years that's where your future lies......:shakehead

Spicoli
11-04-06, 06:21 PM
The funny thing about Nascar now-a-days is that every year we are bombarded with 'the next Jeff Gordon', that it is becoming ridiculous. I watch the races now, and I think I'm watching the Busch series race. Who are all these guys? All the old-school guys are retiring, letting a bunch of no-name rookies in the series. Honestly, will anyone miss Sorensen, Gililand, Boywer, Mears, Hamlin, Yeley, Stremme, Menard, Kvafil, McMurray or Truex if they disapeared tomorrow? No! All these guys are in top winning cars, and can win a race any given Sunday, but they lack the apeal a Johnson, Stewart, Gordon or even Ricky Rudd have. Therefore, AJ is just another one of a dozen young guns that can easily be replaced with another 20-something, middle American, dorky kid with no personality, tomorrow. There are dozens of these guys around. In CCWS he was THE kid, with maybe 3-4 young guys coming up, now he shares that title with a dozen guys in Nextel Cup and 2 or 3 dozen guys knocking at the door; there are at least 2-dozen guys in busch & trucks that can become the next Kasey Kahne or Denny Hamlin over night.

My advice to AJ is to not turn down any Daytona Prototype offers, because in 2-3 years that's where your future lies......:shakehead

good hatin'.:thumbup:

NismoZ
11-04-06, 09:16 PM
Say, speaking of GA, I hear Danica is "unable" to race this year at Daytona. Does she have "a problem"?

Spicoli
11-04-06, 09:39 PM
Say, speaking of GA, I hear Danica is "unable" to race this year at Daytona. Does she have "a problem"?

http://www.saltsense.co.uk/images/pic_preg01.jpg

:D

Joelski
11-04-06, 10:11 PM
I bet them little fellas swim the other way.

NismoZ
11-05-06, 12:54 AM
Sometimes I wish mine had been that smart!.

Indy
11-05-06, 11:11 AM

Excellent post, Fio. NASCAR seems finally to have lost many of the names that made them big, much as CART did 10-15 years ago. Expect attendance and viewership to continue to decline, and the Frances to continue their desperate attempts to limit competition.

Megger
11-06-06, 08:25 PM

Nice!!! You hit the nail on the head!