PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Eliminator Pool - Week 9 - Get Picks in by 1:00 PM ET, Sun 11/5

Insomniac
10-31-06, 09:05 AM
This is the Off Camber NFL Eliminator Pool thread for Week 9.

Rules:

Pick the winner of one game this week.
If you are right, you move on to the next week.
If you are wrong, you are eliminated.
You can only use a team once the entire season (e.g. You choose the Falcons for Week 1, that means you can not choose the Falcons again another week.)
The winner is the last man or woman standing.

How to enter:

Submit your entry by posting in this thread.
If you use a picture for your pick, please also type the name.
Your pick must be in before the start time for the first game of the week. (1:00 PM ET, Sun 11/5 for Week 9)
Any edits to your post after this time will result in disqualification.
If you make multiple picks in the same week, your last pick before the deadline will be used.

Insomniac
10-31-06, 09:06 AM
Current Standings

One person was eliminated in Week 8.

Still Alive:
Ankf00 (PHI, SD, MIA, STL, NE, DEN, NYJ, NYG)
devilmaster (SEA, CHI, PHI, STL, NO, DAL, IND, NYG)
Lizzerd (SEA, SD, BAL, PHI, IND, CHI, NYJ, NYG)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 8:
nrc (SEA, CIN, BAL, PHI, NE, CHI, IND, PIT)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 7:
extramundane (PHI, NO, BAL, CLE, MIN, DAL, JAX, CHI)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 4:
Insomniac (SEA, BAL, WAS, MIA, KC, DAL, NYJ, CHI)

Eliminated - 2 Losses:
dando (ARI, BAL, PHI, DAL, IND, DEN, JAX, PIT)
Dvdb (ARI, BAL, PHI, CLE, IND, SD, JAX, )
FTG (NE, IND, ATL, DAL, CHI, DEN, ARI, TEN)
Gangrel (CHI, NE, PHI, STL, CAR, DAL, JAX, ARI)
Racing Truth (NE, CHI, WAS, CLE, NO, DAL, PHI, )
Sean O'Gorman (TB, BAL, GB, CLE, STL, WAS, DEN, CHI)
skaven (SD, BAL, MIA, PHI, IND, DEN, SEA, PIT)
TKAngel (PHI, CIN, BAL, STL, CAR, , NE, DEN)
Turn7 (NYJ, CHI, MIA, HOU, NE, SEA, SD, )
WickerBill (NE, SD, MIA, DAL, IND, DEN, JAX, PIT)
Willam (NE, BAL, GB, IND, CHI, DEN, JAX, )

Eliminated - 3 Losses:
greenie (ARI, DEN, MIA, PHI, IND, WAS, , )
RacinM3 (, DEN, PHI, DAL, CHI, SD, JAX, )

Eliminated - 4 Losses:
racer2c (DEN, BAL, BAL, OAK, CHI, SEA, ARI, NYG)
Stu (MIA, NO, BAL, CLE, CAR, BUF, PIT, NYJ)

NOTE: I dropped anyone missing 3 or more picks.

Insomniac
10-31-06, 09:07 AM
For your convenience, here are this weeks games:

Atlanta at Detroit
Cincinnati at Baltimore
Dallas at Washington
Green Bay at Buffalo
Houston at N.Y. Giants
Kansas City at St. Louis
Miami at Chicago
New Orleans at Tampa Bay
Tennessee at Jacksonville
Minnesota at San Francisco
Cleveland at San Diego
Denver at Pittsburgh
Indianapolis at New England
Oakland at Seattle

Bye Week (Last One): Arizona, Carolina, N.Y. Jets, Philadelphia

Stu
10-31-06, 09:09 AM
superchargers :D

nrc
10-31-06, 09:43 AM
Atlanta

Ankf00
10-31-06, 10:34 AM
Chicago

racer2c
10-31-06, 10:42 AM
I too go with Hotlanta.

WickerBill
10-31-06, 10:58 AM
Giants.

dando
10-31-06, 11:39 AM
I think I originally picked the Seahags in the ESPN Eliminator, but that doesn't look so good now. I'll take Mini Sota for $1000, Alex.

-Kevin

FTG
10-31-06, 12:22 PM
Two losses, but I'll take some pride in being the only one to pick Tenessee and win. (Even Vince Young fan boy wouldn't pick him at home versus Houston.)

Giants.

Lizzerd
10-31-06, 01:41 PM
Atlanta

extramundane
10-31-06, 01:49 PM
Ron Mexico's Atlanta, please.

Ankf00
10-31-06, 02:49 PM
Two losses, but I'll take some pride in being the only one to pick Tenessee and win. (Even Vince Young fan boy wouldn't pick him at home versus Houston.)

Giants.

congrats, meanwhile VY hater watches his cowgirls get taken to the woodshed by the G-men 8 days ago, and again in the Meadowlands in a couple of weeks :tony:

Sean O'Gorman
10-31-06, 06:48 PM
ATL

Insomniac
11-03-06, 04:19 PM
Giants

skaven
11-03-06, 05:22 PM
Sticking to my script from week 4... Giants.

devilmaster
11-04-06, 01:18 PM
San Diego Chargers

TKGAngel
11-04-06, 04:39 PM
Da Bears please.

Ankf00
11-05-06, 04:53 AM
This is why the CFL is a joke. When a f'ing pothead is the one making the most sense out of anybody, you know you have a problem. :saywhat:

http://www2.sportsnet.ca/video/videoPlayer.php?url=rtmp://38.99.151.50/sportsnet/SCA_RICKY_06_11_02.flv

Racing Truth
11-05-06, 01:13 PM
Minnesota

Insomniac
11-05-06, 01:50 PM
Just a friendly reminder and pretty late reminder.

People eliminated (one or more losses) who haven't made a pick:
Dvdb
Gangrel
greenie
RacinM3
Turn7
Willam

devilmaster
11-05-06, 03:24 PM
Here's a improbable and wacky but looking at the scores currently it could be a possible thought....

What if Lizz, Ank and I all lose this week?

Is everyone with 1 loss back in it? or is it still just the 3 of us battling for top spot because the 3 of us were the ones that were left?

Ankf00
11-05-06, 03:33 PM
naturally, I prefer the latter :D

Ankf00
11-05-06, 05:10 PM
:mad:

dando
11-05-06, 05:18 PM
Da Bears. :laugh:

VY. :laugh:

Who Deys. :shakehead :mad:

-Kevin

devilmaster
11-05-06, 06:31 PM
naturally, I prefer the latter :D

I should have looked harder. nrc is the only one with 1 loss, but he also picked Atlanta.

nrc
11-05-06, 07:33 PM
I should have looked harder. nrc is the only one with 1 loss, but he also picked Atlanta.

How could I lose? :irked:

TKGAngel
11-05-06, 07:35 PM
At least the chili I made came out better than today's football pick. :irked:

devilmaster
11-05-06, 10:36 PM
How could I lose? :irked:

You put your faith in 'I'm going to knock the ball out of my hand with my knee' Vick? ;)

Lizzerd
11-05-06, 10:37 PM
Congrats to Steve! :thumbup:

Do we keep going, or what?

Ankf00
11-05-06, 11:00 PM
stevesie gets props. the first annual OC NFL Eliminator Cup goes north of the border :D

In other news, Reggie "I am His son" Bush continues to revolutionize the game with his once in a generation talent, 11 carries, -5 yards. Just like you'd have it if you rolled Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all into one :gomer:

Spicoli
11-06-06, 12:38 AM
colts!:D

WickerBill
11-06-06, 12:47 AM
In other news, Reggie "I am His son" Bush continues to revolutionize the game with his once in a generation talent, 11 carries, -5 yards. Just like you'd have it if you rolled Gale Sayers, OJ Simpson, Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all into one :gomer:

First... Bush isn't the best rookie on the Saints... not by a long shot.

Second... trying to divert attention, Ank?

42%... 3 picks... against a team the hall-of-fame bound David Carr chewed up 2 weeks ago...

Ankf00
11-06-06, 01:09 AM
*shrug* so he looked like a rookie, I don't recall a year's worth of ESPN fellating bragging about game revolutionization with him.

With Saint Reggie however... :laugh: I mean, he is Gale, Barry, OJ, and Jim all in one. Everyone knows that :gomer: And c'mon, comparing rook rb's vs rook qb's?

FTG
11-06-06, 08:54 AM
Congrats to Steve! :thumbup:

Do we keep going, or what?

Start over. We still have half a season and I want to know if Spickly can figure out the rules this time.

Congrats to Steve. It's harder than it looks.

WickerBill
11-06-06, 09:04 AM
I really think we should keep going -- Steve wins, but a second prize could be who does best, total, over 17 weeks (maybe more; maybe we do playoffs). Picking from 32 teams over 8 weeks is a little dull, imo. And this way Steve could win the double if he keeps it up.

Ankf00
11-06-06, 11:28 AM
^^^ I'm with Boss.

FTG
11-06-06, 12:22 PM
If you want to make it tougher, pick against the spread each week. But if it's a "fewest losses even if you're elminated" pool, it's not an eliminator pool anymore.

Besides, Colts aren't going to go 16-0. Houston will probably win another one. Lots of people will get knocked out.

dando
11-06-06, 01:53 PM
I'm in for another round. 0-3 the past 3 weeks. :saywhat: I need some vengence. ;)

-Kevin

devilmaster
11-06-06, 02:45 PM
Thx everyone.

As for what to do now, I'll go with consensus. We can keep going or start again. When 'somniac starts a week 10 thread, i'll make a pick.

Gangrel
11-06-06, 05:11 PM
My vote is to start again. You folks that keep proposing changes, y'all are trying to fix something that ain't broken. :D

Ankf00
11-06-06, 05:43 PM
I had been saving my Indy pick. :irked: so in round 2, game 1, I pick Indy :D

Lizzerd
11-06-06, 07:23 PM
Continuing with the same picked teams not available to someone who picked all nine weeks doesn't make sense, as some people quit picking or skipped a pick. If we start over, make all teams available again to all players. I think it's only that option or continuing as is with a second half co-winner, who has the fewest overall losses in the end, IMHO.

I won't play if point spreads are involved. Either start over from zero with same or modified rules or continue as is.

skaven
11-06-06, 11:27 PM
Congrats DM. :thumbup:

FTG
11-07-06, 09:14 AM
Continuing with the same picked teams not available to someone who picked all nine weeks doesn't make sense, as some people quit picking or skipped a pick.

It gets boring picking when you've already been eliminated.

Insomniac
11-08-06, 08:59 AM
*shrug* so he looked like a rookie, I don't recall a year's worth of ESPN fellating bragging about game revolutionization with him.

With Saint Reggie however... :laugh: I mean, he is Gale, Barry, OJ, and Jim all in one. Everyone knows that :gomer: And c'mon, comparing rook rb's vs rook qb's?

Big Ben vs VY. :p

Insomniac
11-08-06, 09:11 AM
Okay, sorry I haven't been around much this week.

Congratulations devilmaster!

I suggest this:

People who want to continue picking on the old one, feel free. I think maybe devilmaster would definitely like to keep doing it to see if he can make it all 17 weeks. I'd like to see it, and would certainly be rooting for him.

About half the people who started this have since bailed. I think we should also start new. I can keep track of both. With only 8 weeks left, we need to limit the size of the pool to choose from. The ideas I have for a fixed pool to the end:

AFC Only
NFC Only
Top 16 Teams right now (by record and then points for)
Bottom 16 Teams right now (by record and then points against)
Middle 16 Teams right now (by record and then points differential (take the most neutral teams))

Dynamic pool:
Winning records only (above .500)
Losing records only (below .500)
Home teams only
Away teams only

Ok, what are peoples preference on the new one? I think with me keeping track of both, that satisfies the people who want to keep the old one going.

We could also start over for the playoffs. That would be interesting and very hard. You'd have to avoid picking the eventual SB winner until the last week to have a chance to get through 4 weeks. :) You would also need your pick to lose the next week after you pick them.

EDIT--I choose Middle Teams. That will give us 16 teams to pick from in 8 weeks and the teams won't be the best or worst. I hesitated to include the "dynamic" ones because it may get confusing with what teams you can choose every week. And now syaing that, seems like AFC/NFC are the simplest. :) (But I still like Middle, I would bold the teams that we can pick when I post the matchups and you'd have your previous picks in the thread as well.)

dando
11-08-06, 01:09 PM
Just post a list from which we can choose. Spickly will stil choose the Dolts even if they aren't on the list. :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
11-09-06, 02:48 PM
New Orleans look to trade Saint Reggie: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/11/08/brushback.saints/index.html

With the money he's making, he should be leading the league in every offensive category, or at least some of them. Maybe even one or two would be nice. Instead, he's leading the league in running into walls defenders. Of course, we still think he's going to be the next Gale Sayers, but not as a football player, as a public speaker. He's so articulate! He's going to do a wonderful job inducting Marques Colston into the Hall of Fame someday."...

...remember: this kid can play. Have you seen the highlights of him at USC? I have never seen someone run like that before. He's made some big plays in the pros, too, but they just don't come quite as often. And he seems to have a, um, bit of a problem running between the tackles. But it's a problem that can easily be solved by never running him between the tackles."...

...said one GM, who asked not to be identified. "Coming out of college, he really did look like the next Gale Sayers or Walter Payton, but those comparisons seem silly right now. He can't break a tackle, he can't find the open field to save his life, and he'll never be anything more than a change-of-pace back. Of course, he does do a lot of charity work, which, in the great scheme of things, is worth exactly nothing."...

..."Oh, they're trying to trade him? Now that is funny," said Texans coach Gary Kubiak, who endorsed the decision to go with Williams. "Boy did we ever get **** for passing him up. Now look who's laughing. It's us, the Houston Texans. Ha ha. Okay, so Mario probably wasn't worth the first pick, either, but that's not the point. The point is that our guy is less crappy than the number two guy, and that, in itself is a victory. For this franchise, it's like winning the Super Bowl."...

...I think I'm a lot better than they give me credit for. Just look at Sunday's game: I rushed 11 times for a grand total of negative 5 yards. But see, those 11 rushes helped kill the clock, and probably, in the end, sealed the victory for us. If I had run for a touchdown like a dummy, that would have stopped the clock. Oh sure it would have padded my stats, but that's not what I'm about. No, I mean it. Look at my stats. Could I be any less about padding them?"

:D

Stu
11-09-06, 08:07 PM
just like it was nuts to say he was the second coming before he ever touched an NFL pigskin, don't you think its a little early to be talking trade for the guy?

talk about buying high and selling low. :rofl: