PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the pit-out line

RTKar
04-20-03, 12:50 PM
I noticed during the Imola race, the cars crossing over the demarcation line between the pit out lane and the track. Drivers have been penalized at other tracks for the same thing. So, what's different with the line at Imola?

rabbit
04-20-03, 04:17 PM
I was wondering that myself.

GrandView
04-22-03, 03:16 AM
I haven't seen this discussed in any offical capacity, nor have I reviewed the tape to see if the lines were different at Imola than elsewhere.

However, here's a link to an article from last year. The salient text appears to infer that the exit at Imola, when crossing the line, doesn't create a dangerous entry nor any speed advantage.

GV

The white line is intended to ensure that cars leaving the pits are not driven directly on to the racing line whilst travelling at a speed significantly slower than other cars already on the track. At some circuits, such as those in Imola and Budapest, no line was deemed necessary as drivers leaving the pits have no incentive to drive directly on to the racing line as it is likely to be slower to do so.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020901/65/d8npi.html

Hink
04-22-03, 11:57 AM
Good find GV. Pretty much everyone went to the left as soon as the wall ended, crossing the lines. I didn't have a clue why.