PDA

View Full Version : My confrontation with Rahal

Pages : [1] 2

Indy
10-28-06, 05:07 AM
I have been debating whether to post this. My respectful and cautious friends say no. Spicoli says yes. So here it is.

I was at Siebken's in Elkhart Lake for the '06 race. I looked up and realized that Bobby Rahal was there surrounded by fans. He appeared to be entertaining sponsors in the side room, but he was moving through the crowd in the main room, and, to my disgust, he was being gladhanded and congratulated by many. "Gee, Bobby, it is so good to see you here." "Bobby, will you have a team next year?" "Bobby, you are the greatest!" These are not direct quotes, but you get the picture. Off to the side, I began to fume. My wife claims I turned purple and appeared to be having a stroke. This is possible, as it was the first time I had seen the #1 Honda/Champ Car traitor/assassin since his move to the IRL.

I decided to confront him. A couple of people around me told me not to, saying that this was not the right place to do it. I disagreed, thinking that the track, a place of business, was the wrong place to do it, while this was the perfect opportunity. I calmed my self down, intent on being forceful but reasonable. Imagine that the room is crowded and loud. I managed to catch him privately as he walked past me, and no one else could hear us. This is exactly what was said (I wrote it down at the time):

I said: Bobby...
He said: What?
I said: Bobby...
I said: You owe an apology to the fans.
I said: You owe an apology to the Champ Car fanatics.
He said: Why?
I said: Long Beach and the way you left.
He said: I don't need to apologize to anyone. I have done more for this f---ing series than anyone, F--- YOU.

At this point he walked away in a huff. I decided to walk the other direction, but my wife said he appeared to be bothered and angry for a few minutes. His party left shortly thereafter.

My plan was to steer the conversation toward the positive, if in fact he had responded positively. I wanted to suggest to him that if he apologized to the fans, and perhaps made some sort of gesture of goodwill toward them, that they would move on. Clearly, he did not give me the chance to get that far, and, clearly, his ego would not have accepted the advice, anyway.

That is my story. I am glad I did it. I think these guys need to hear the truth. I took the time after the race to thank Gerry Forsythe for saving the series, too.

Comments?

jonovision_man
10-28-06, 07:50 AM
I don't know you from Adam, so this is nothing personal. That doesn't quite sound like Bobby's usual tone. OTOH we all have our bad days, so he could have said it. But I have to treat it as hearsay. Nothing personal.

I've never been hard on Rahal. Staying in ChampCar would have been a gamble at the time, and when you're making a business decision you have to analyze the bottom line. He made a decision to go with manufacturer support (the "yen" as many here are fond of saying) rather than risk it all for ChampCar. I respect that.

Sure, it would have been nice if he'd stayed. But I don't expect a man to risk millions on a series that was going through some very dark days, that may not have pulled through. I'm still amazed KK has kept it going and seems to actually be turning it around... wouldn't have bet on it.

I know there are plenty of contrary opinions on that. :) I've heard them all. But that's mine.

jono

Sean O'Gorman
10-28-06, 08:19 AM
Wow. Some of you guys take this stuff way too seriously.

Rahal is a self-centered douche, but he doesn't owe anyone an apology.

Spicoli
10-28-06, 08:27 AM
I got Indy's back on this one. I saw plenty of the Rathole at RA that weekend, and he's never been more self absorbed in his life. The guy honsetly think's his poop don't stink.

Think back to what he did to this series. Think about his 11th hour screw job he did prior to LBGP.

Think about his views of EARL, how its the greatest racing in the world, but not safe enough for his son.

The guy is a selfish prick, and I DO think he owes fans an apology especially for the LBGP incident. He'll screw his momma for a buck. He'll put a driver in anything for money. He's nothing but an ex-driver who will whore himself out for a salary. No principals apply to his character, other than what can I get for doing nothing.

I'll boo him forever. At least Penske has the balls to tell the truth.

FBR.

cart7
10-28-06, 08:59 AM
meh...

Looking back, the guy was facing a series run by a guy he really didn't know, KK another guy I doubt you could trust PG and GF, a billionaire who despite what might happen down the road will always have plenty of money in the old bank account. Honda promised to stuff his pockets with money if he went to the earl, CCWS offered nothing but question marks. He took the money. I guess if I gave a rats patootey about either of these series anymore I'd jump on the frahole bandwagon but I don't.

Big deal.

Spicoli
10-28-06, 09:09 AM
meh...

Looking back, the guy was facing a series run by a guy he really didn't know, KK another guy I doubt you could trust PG and GF, a billionaire who despite what might happen down the road will always have plenty of money in the old bank account. Honda promised to stuff his pockets with money if he went to the earl, CCWS offered nothing but question marks. He took the money. I guess if I gave a rats patootey about either of these series anymore I'd jump on the frahole bandwagon but I don't.

Big deal.

awesome!:tony:

nissan gtp
10-28-06, 09:18 AM
good job Indy :thumbup:

When Rayhal left, the timing was calculated to do the MAXIMUM damage to Champ Car. The events leading up to Long Beach were to be the knockout punch that CC would not recover from, and FBR was right in the middle of it.

Leaving for business reasons, whatever, that's understandable. He left and tired to burn Champ Car down on the way out, so F him.

RHR_Fan
10-28-06, 09:32 AM
You've got more [guts] than I do for saying that.

NismoZ
10-28-06, 10:20 AM
Talked to him VERY briefly at Denver in the Atlantic paddock. Told him I thought he'd made the "right decision to be here this weekend" (instead of wherever his team was that day) said I was glad to see him here and was looking forward to seeing Graham in a Champcar. He smiled, thanked me and said "we'll see."

I understand injured feelings and still have a distaste for how that part of the The Split went down, but that was THEN. My choice is to look to a brighter future rather than dwell on a dark past. (Huh, I just bought a shirt made in Vietnam and drive a Nissan.) Any negative feeling I have toward Bobby (and I do) for how he exited CART will never be transferred to Graham and the same holds true for Marco and a guy like Buddy Rice. Hell, I hope he wins the damn race in Mexico! I guess I'm a "disliker" not a hater and can see no advantage for a growing ChampCar in venting anger such as you describe, from either side of the argument. Remember, KK has described one of his biggest advantages as coming along AFTER a lot of the bad stuff happened and I cannot believe any discussions lately between Bobby and him have mentioned even a word about the circumstance in question. Go CC!:thumbup:

Rob
10-28-06, 10:50 AM
I said: You owe an apology to the Champ Car fanatics.

Well no wonder he got so pissed off and defensive.

JT265
10-28-06, 10:51 AM
"F- I don't need to apologize to anyone. I have done more for this f---ing series than anyone, -- YOU."

Gotta side with Booby on this one. He's right. Think about it. He showed us where NOT to race, and he was a co-conspirator with Gaydrian and Tokyo Bob Clarke in trying to deliver a body blow to CCWS with his ill-timed move ahead of Long Beach.

And that showed us how resilient the new ownership was/is as well as the hardcore fans to any attempt to best us. They gave it their best shot (the pricks) and it didn't work.

And now the Yen is tanking against the dollar. How quaint. <-- I borrowed that from somewhere, don't remember who's it was though. ;)

Oh well, we are all faced with choices, and historically, Booby has never been ahead of the curve.

And Jono, purely from a humanitarian viewpoint, please contact Lundy fence. They will sell you a nice galvanized fencepost for you to sit on. I can't imagine the pain and suffering you experience trying to remove splinters from your ringpiece.

Spicoli
10-28-06, 11:37 AM
"F- I don't need to apologize to anyone. I have done more for this f---ing series than anyone, -- YOU."

Gotta side with Booby on this one. He's right. Think about it. He showed us where NOT to race, and he was a co-conspirator with Gaydrian and Tokyo Bob Clarke in trying to deliver a body blow to CCWS with his ill-timed move ahead of Long Beach.

And that showed us how resilient the new ownership was/is as well as the hardcore fans to any attempt to best us. They gave it their best shot (the pricks) and it didn't work.

And now the Yen is tanking against the dollar. How quaint. <-- I borrowed that from somewhere, don't remember who's it was though. ;)

Oh well, we are all faced with choices, and historically, Booby has never been ahead of the curve.

And Jono, purely from a humanitarian viewpoint, please contact Lundy fence. They will sell you a nice galvanized fencepost for you to sit on. I can't imagine the pain and suffering you experience trying to remove splinters from your ringpiece.

JT - funny as hell.:rofl:

remember rahole at RA? I shoulda......:p

film at 11.

Dirty Sanchez
10-28-06, 11:59 AM
"Judge me by the R3"

douchebag supreme. he should be shamed until the end of time.

Don Quixote
10-28-06, 12:00 PM
Good job Indy. Rahal has the ethics of a hyena. His 11th hour leaving is also compounded by the behind the scenes dealings with Honda to stuff money in his own pockets while at the same time screwing the stockholders of the company of which he was a board member, with fiduciary responsibilities to the company and its stockholders. If I did the same thing to my company I would be tossed in the slammer. There are many who believe that the phrase "it's business" wipes away all shame and guilt. Not to me it doesn't. Those who behave this way deserve all they get. :mad:

Rogue Leader
10-28-06, 12:34 PM
Not to sound like a jerk here or anything but how do you expect him to react?

Trust me when i say I have no love for him, hes a loser yen whore. But if you were him and he walked up to you and did the same thing you would react the same way.

How you could have handled this better:

"Bobby, I am glad you have decided to bring your support back to champcar, I was very disappointed when you left in 2004, but I am happy to hear you have realized that ChampCar is the place for your son to be. "

You could maybe go a bit further, but asking him to apologize to the fans like that is just not going to get what you want. You want him to apologize because he wants to, not because you shoved it down his throat.

just my $0.02.....

Joelski
10-28-06, 12:54 PM
**** that piece of garbage! Every person in CC from team owners down to tire busters ecclipsed his miniscule benefit to Champ Car when they followed through on their decision to stay. Bobby Rahal is **** on the shoe of racing, and I don't GAF is he ever shows his face in a CCWS paddock again. His son may have talent and he might be good for american open wheel, and he may be where he is due to his father's help, but he's not great by association alone. I will never, ever spend a dime on anything represented by that crud, and I wouldn't dream of using his name to promote anything related to Champ Car as it would be a disservice to the sport. Nobody in the history of auto sports has been more calculating and self-serving than that turd, and I guarantee you nothing good will come from associating with him!

SteveH
10-28-06, 01:00 PM
Great job Indy.

Might I suggest that each time we encounter Bobby, we ask him to apologize to the fans. I know if I see potato head, I will.

Chief
10-28-06, 01:13 PM
Rahole, what an ambassador for the sport...thanks for sharing Indy. You did the right thing.:thumbup:

JT265
10-28-06, 01:30 PM
JT - funny as hell.:rofl:

remember rahole at RA? I shoulda......:p

film at 11.

Indeed. He looked a lot like this.....:tony: :laugh:

jonovision_man
10-28-06, 01:41 PM
And Jono, purely from a humanitarian viewpoint, please contact Lundy fence. They will sell you a nice galvanized fencepost for you to sit on.

Cute. :p

As far as loyalty or towing the party line for one series or the other, forget it. I call it like I see it, when Champ Car does good I say it, when they don't I say it, same for the IRL, same for anything.

Truth is, I don't mind being on the fence. I enjoyed Champ Car and the IRL this season. Went to the Molson Grand Prix of Toronto, the Indy 500, ALMS @ Mosport... it was a good year of racing.

And I like racing. Had a lot of fun. Wouldn't have it any other way.

jono

Insomniac
10-28-06, 02:59 PM
My plan was to steer the conversation toward the positive, if in fact he had responded positively. I wanted to suggest to him that if he apologized to the fans, and perhaps made some sort of gesture of goodwill toward them, that they would move on. Clearly, he did not give me the chance to get that far, and, clearly, his ego would not have accepted the advice, anyway.

Comments?

I'm not sure why you expected that conversation to go in a positive direction. You were asking him to apologize for jumping to the IRL on the eve of Long Beach. Why would he? Do you think he didn't know what he was doing. That the fans didn't know why?

I'm glad you got to confront him and express your thoughts and he didn't need to drop f-bombs, but there was no way that conversation was going to go well. He wasn't going to say "You're right, I'm sorry.".

Also, that scene that had you fuming, that's what the majority of the fans will do if/when he comes back. Some will say they'll never like him, and very few will, like yourself, will stand by how you felt when he left and confront him.

Insomniac
10-28-06, 03:23 PM
I don't know you from Adam, so this is nothing personal. That doesn't quite sound like Bobby's usual tone. OTOH we all have our bad days, so he could have said it. But I have to treat it as hearsay. Nothing personal.

I've never been hard on Rahal. Staying in ChampCar would have been a gamble at the time, and when you're making a business decision you have to analyze the bottom line. He made a decision to go with manufacturer support (the "yen" as many here are fond of saying) rather than risk it all for ChampCar. I respect that.

Sure, it would have been nice if he'd stayed. But I don't expect a man to risk millions on a series that was going through some very dark days, that may not have pulled through. I'm still amazed KK has kept it going and seems to actually be turning it around... wouldn't have bet on it.

I know there are plenty of contrary opinions on that. :) I've heard them all. But that's mine.

jono

For me, it was the timing. I don't think the week of LB he realized he was in money trouble and left. Remember, he abandoned Jourdain who took the money needed to fund his ride to RuSport. Honda reached out to Fernandez and Rahal hoping to put the final nail in CCWS' coffin. If I'm not mistaken, Bobby was behind KK and GF during the bankruptcy stuff. I understand it was a business/opportuint decision. Still sucked. :)

Insomniac
10-28-06, 03:26 PM
I got Indy's back on this one. I saw plenty of the Rathole at RA that weekend, and he's never been more self absorbed in his life. The guy honsetly think's his poop don't stink.

Think back to what he did to this series. Think about his 11th hour screw job he did prior to LBGP.

Think about his views of EARL, how its the greatest racing in the world, but not safe enough for his son.

The guy is a selfish prick, and I DO think he owes fans an apology especially for the LBGP incident. He'll screw his momma for a buck. He'll put a driver in anything for money. He's nothing but an ex-driver who will whore himself out for a salary. No principals apply to his character, other than what can I get for doing nothing.

I'll boo him forever. At least Penske has the balls to tell the truth.

FBR.

He was CEO for a year too. (Not that anyone else did a good job as CEO.)

Spicoli
10-28-06, 03:49 PM

No, he didn't do the ****ing job at all. Was never there. didn;t care.:flame:

How the hell do these dribers end up owning teams and running companies to begin with.:shakehead

spinner26
10-28-06, 04:21 PM
What was that game back a long time ago? Sit and Spin. Ye,h that was it, sit and spin.:gomer:

Spicoli
10-28-06, 04:32 PM
No, he didn't do the ****ing job at all. Was never there. didn;t care.:flame:

How the hell do these dribers end up owning teams and running companies to begin with.:shakehead

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v149/amvet91alpha/tshirts%20or%20should%20be%20on%

gjc2
10-28-06, 04:46 PM
Honda reached out to Fernandez and Rahal hoping to put the final nail in CCWS' coffin.

I’m not defending any of the traitors, but Rahal knew better than most how tenuous CART’s situation was, and they all wanted there to be just one open wheel series that included the Indianapolis 500. I doubt any of them really preferred the Crap Wagon League but they felt it was their only choice. The fact the Kalkhoven and Forsythe have turned there series around wasn’t something anyone could have predicted.

Insomniac
10-28-06, 04:58 PM
I’m not defending any of the traitors, but Rahal knew better than most how tenuous CART’s situation was, and they all wanted there to be just one open wheel series that included the Indianapolis 500. I doubt any of them really preferred the Crap Wagon League but they felt it was their only choice. The fact the Kalkhoven and Forsythe have turned there series around wasn’t something anyone could have predicted.

I don't doubt their balance sheet was better with the Honda money vs. staying in CCWS. But they didn't just realize that 1 week before cars hit the track at LB. They would've been viable in CC that year, but the last minute Honda offer was enough for them to bail out for more money.

Insomniac
10-28-06, 04:59 PM
<broken image link>

You image link is broken.

gjc2
10-28-06, 05:06 PM
I don't doubt their balance sheet was better with the Honda money vs. staying in CCWS. But they didn't just realize that 1 week before cars hit the track at LB. They would've been viable in CC that year, but the last minute Honda offer was enough for them to bail out for more money.

Very true, as I said, I'm not defending them.

Insomniac
10-28-06, 05:14 PM
Very true, as I said, I'm not defending them.

Yup, I get you. I'm with you. I understand what they did and why, doesn't mean I have to like it or forgive it.

JT265
10-28-06, 05:52 PM
Cute. :p

As far as loyalty or towing the party line for one series or the other, forget it. I call it like I see it, when Champ Car does good I say it, when they don't I say it, same for the IRL, same for anything.

Truth is, I don't mind being on the fence. I enjoyed Champ Car and the IRL this season. Went to the Molson Grand Prix of Toronto, the Indy 500, ALMS @ Mosport... it was a good year of racing.

And I like racing. Had a lot of fun. Wouldn't have it any other way.

jono

I appreciate what you are saying, however the best analogy of the earl I can think of is this.

Imagine if you could pay large money to go to Shea Stadium to watch the Beatles live in concert, and about the time you find your seat an announcement comes over the PA.

"Ladies and gentlmen, the owners of Shea Stadium have decided that the Beatles are too far removed from American culture to perform here, so they have been replaced by the Monkees.

And as an added bonus, for our opening act, we give you the guitar stylings of Kenny Brack." :yuck:

It's been 11 long years of the Monkees trying to kill the Beatles, and it ain't working. And even though earl grabbed the major players, they're having to stay with the Monkees playlist.

Most people are deaf to all of it now.

Joelski
10-28-06, 06:03 PM

That's crap. If you back out of a series a week before the first race knowing full well your car counts toward filling the field, you are a traitor, not two ways about it. Nice view on loyalty, glad I'm not your employer!

TurboV8
10-28-06, 07:17 PM
That's crap. If you back out of a series a week before the first race knowing full well your car counts toward filling the field, you are a traitor, not two ways about it. Nice view on loyalty, glad I'm not your employer!
FBR is a two faced liar!!

I was walking out the door when I saw him at "Seibkens" on the Saturday night before the Champ Car race I thought "he's got balls showing his face in here" :flame: even though I saw him buzzing around RA on his scooter all day. I'm sure he heard a few comments that weekend!

Rahole quote from 2002;

Using one engine manufacturer will save teams millions of dollars. Cosworth will sell engines for $1 million, $2million-$3 million fewer than the current price-tag in CART. The series also will give $1.5 million in cash and benefits to the first 20 teams that sign up to race next year.

"I think the IRL's whole cost case has gone by the wayside," team owner and former CART driver Bobby Rahal said. "The whole premise about the IRL being for the little guy no longer exists. It will be far easier to get into CART as compared to IRL."

Bob_S.
10-28-06, 07:44 PM
I have no doubts that FBR bailled on Champcar the way he did for just one reason: to shut down the series due to car count and cause maximum damage.:flame:
It doesn't matter if Honda was behind the timing or not (they deserve their own special corner in the septic tank), Ratboy knew that the outcome would be bloody.
If anyone wants to print some "Rahal owes us an appology" t-shirts, drop me a PM. I'd like to buy one. BTW, this was the same clown who gave a green light to TMS based on Kenny running some warm up laps. :saywhat:

Joelski
10-28-06, 07:55 PM
Oh but no! He's such a nice man, and he's done so much for champcar!

:BARF:

cart7
10-28-06, 07:56 PM
I appreciate what you are saying, however the best analogy of the earl I can think of is this.

Imagine if you could pay large money to go to Shea Stadium to watch the Beatles live in concert, and about the time you find your seat an announcement comes over the PA.

"Ladies and gentlmen, the owners of Shea Stadium have decided that the Beatles are too far removed from American culture to perform here, so they have been replaced by the Monkees.

And as an added bonus, for our opening act, we give you the guitar stylings of Kenny Brack." :yuck:

It's been 11 long years of the Monkees trying to kill the Beatles, and it ain't working. And even though earl grabbed the major players, they're having to stay with the Monkees playlist.

Most people are deaf to all of it now.

Oh sure, drag the Monkees into your little comparison.... :saywhat:

I could see a Partridge Family comparison but the Monkees? :gomer:

TRANSAM
10-28-06, 10:48 PM
That's like going up to Paris Hilton and calling her a 'sl*t'.She may be one but the reaction is not going to be good.

Spicoli
10-28-06, 11:04 PM
That's like going up to Paris Hilton and calling her a 'sl*t'.She may be one but the reaction is not going to be good.

:rofl:

JT265
10-28-06, 11:04 PM
Oh sure, drag the Monkees into your little comparison.... :saywhat:

I could see a Partridge Family comparison but the Monkees? :gomer:

Don't be baggin' on the Partridge Family now. Susan Dey was the schiznit!!! :cool:

:laugh:

Spicoli
10-29-06, 01:28 PM
[QUOTE=JT265;174593]Don't be baggin' on the Partridge Family now. Susan Dey was the schiznit!!!

[QUOTE]

then:

http://www.justunderthesurface.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/susan_dey.jpg

now:

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Susan%20Dey-1.JPG

:saywhat:

you go ahead an get after that JT! :thumbup:

JT265
10-29-06, 01:45 PM
then:

http://www.justunderthesurface.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/susan_dey.jpg

now:

http://images.starpulse.com/Photos/pv/Susan%20Dey-1.JPG

you go ahead an get after that JT!

I'm channeling 1977. Quit harshing my vibe dood. :cry: :D

sundaydriver2
10-29-06, 01:48 PM
Rathole was counting on CC not answering the bell and therefore he would not be the bad guy. He would just be the guy looking out for his team.

The one thing Rathole didn't count on was the determination of Forsythe and the sincerity of Kalkohvan.

Rathole will never admit that he owes the fans of CC an apology and he is a traitor. He could have easily made the switch way prior to the LBGP.

If I ever see the dirt bag, I won't try and have a conversation with the guy, I'll just let my finger do the talking.

:D

G.
10-29-06, 03:25 PM
I don't tell anybody what to do with their money. That goes for Penske, Andretti, Chip, whomever.

But Bobby tried to kill off something that I love. Maliciously. It wasn't even about the money, it was about the suckerpunch.

I don't accept the ****'s apology, if/when he gives it.:flame:

Bob_S.
10-29-06, 05:43 PM
I don't accept the ****'s apology, if/when he gives it.:flame:

I didn't type that I would, either. ;)
I just want the ####wad to know that the fans didn't forget about "all he did" for Champcar. :saywhat:

Spicoli
10-29-06, 07:22 PM
http://www.champcarfanatics.com/photopost/data/500/Rahole.gif

stoled from CCF.:D

G.
10-29-06, 11:30 PM
I just want the ####wad to know that the fans didn't forget about "all he did" for Champcar. :saywhat:You ok.

Post more.

TurboV8
10-30-06, 12:01 AM
I just want the ####wad to know that the fans didn't forget about "all he did" for Champcar. :saywhat:

Don't forget the traitor abandoned CART for Jaguar too.:flame:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n167/alexzanardi/RaholeJag.jpg

F--- You Bobby!!!

Lizzerd
10-30-06, 01:21 AM
I'm in the FBR crowd too.

Indy, you done good. I would have had a hard time not jumping on his ***, too. Good job. :thumbup:

eiregosod
10-30-06, 01:42 AM
how many times was FBR accosted at champcar races this year by irate CC fans?

rocket
10-30-06, 04:56 AM

Yes he was, and during that year is when the TMS screw up happened...pretty much his doing there, and then he had the audacity to say the series has been mis managed for a long time. Hey dork you were part of it, he counts on people having short memories about all this crap. Don't hold your friggin breath bobbyboy, on second thought do.

mueber
10-30-06, 08:53 AM

That's about it. In the first place, it's only a sport, it's not the meaning of life. Nothing could possibly be accomplished by the confrontation, it was in poor taste.

Second, no matter what you may think of Rahal, and I don't think much of him, he isn't any worse than the others who bailed out for business reasons. I don't like it, but the team owners are businessmen. The sportsmen left 25 years ago. Maybe when you see Penske at the buffet line at Ponderosa, you can trip him while he's carrying a tray full of drinks. It will be hilarious, and you'll feel good for a moment, but you still won't have accomplished anything.

Third, never do anything Spicoli tells you to do until you've checked with your mom.

trauma1
10-30-06, 09:23 AM
when you look for a confrontation indy it's a reation you should expect a confrontational comeback, i have little respect for the man due to his defection the day before LB, but owing anyone an apology he doesn't owe anyone anything, he had been in the CC bandwagon lately and has said nothing but postitve comments on the sereis this year, yeah sure he want's Jr in a NH car, however he has supported CCA and CC this year, and there will be a time when some of the yen whores do come back hopefully not pimpski, what did you expect his response to be, "here have a beer" you knew damn well you would get no apology

Spicoli
10-30-06, 10:14 AM
when you look for a confrontation indy it's a reation you should expect a confrontational comeback, i have little respect for the man due to his defection the day before LB, but owing anyone an apology he doesn't owe anyone anything, he had been in the CC bandwagon lately and has said nothing but postitve comments on the sereis this year, yeah sure he want's Jr in a NH car, however he has supported CCA and CC this year, and there will be a time when some of the yen whores do come back hopefully not pimpski, what did you expect his response to be, "here have a beer" you knew damn well you would get no apology

re-read what you just wrote.

he had been in the CC bandwagon lately and has said nothing but postitve comments on the sereis this year, yeah sure he want's Jr in a NH car, however he has supported CCA and CC this year

which is exactly my/everyone's point: when its good for Boooby, he'll jump on any bandwagon. Then, and ONLY then, does he become rah-rah CCWs fan.

He's f****d everyone he can to get where he is. But then again, where he is, I wouldn;t want to wake up everyday and have to look in the mirror at that Rathole face.:yuck:

FBR.

trauma1
10-30-06, 10:21 AM
re-read what you just wrote.

which is exactly my/everyone's point: when its good for Boooby, he'll jump on any bandwagon. Then, and ONLY then, does he become rah-rah CCWs fan.

He's f****d everyone he can to get where he is. But then again, where he is, I wouldn;t want to wake up everyday and have to look in the mirror at that Rathole face.:yuck:

FBR.

my point is he knew what response he would get, like it's a surprise, if some comes up to you and demands an apology you'f tell them to f off also, booby does what is good for him and JR's career, but having some stranger walking up to you demanding an apology yeah that will go over real well. it's the playing the victim in this where i fing find it amusing,

pchall
10-30-06, 11:19 AM
my point is he knew what response he would get, like it's a surprise, if some comes up to you and demands an apology you'f tell them to f off also...

Of course he told him to eff off, 'cause even Booby knows in his heart (or his Honda powered Jarvik-7 or what ever pumps the fluids that keep him animated) that Indy is right.

Spicoli
10-30-06, 11:23 AM
Of course he told him to eff off, 'cause even Booby knows in his heart (or his Honda powered Jarvik-7 or what ever pumps the fluids that keep him animated) that Indy is right.

He drove his wife to drink - if that says anything ;)

Mr. Vengeance
10-30-06, 12:06 PM

He drove his wife to drink - if that says anything ;)

Did he ever:.27% (http://www.badjocks.com/bacleaders.htm), with kids in the car.... :shakehead

dando
10-30-06, 12:50 PM
Did he ever:.27% (http://www.badjocks.com/bacleaders.htm), with kids in the car.... :shakehead

And the local media didn't report squat about that either. He musta called in a buncha favors on that one. Even the mayor of Cbus' wife got raked over the coals when she got busted a year or so ago (basically ending his run for Gov of Ohiya).

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-30-06, 01:05 PM
and there will be a time when some of the yen whores do come back hopefully not pimpski

Funny you list one of the few people who left without making a mess. He didn't pressure CART to switch to NA and he didn't follow the Honda money. He left at the end of the 2002 season and that was that.

racer2c
10-30-06, 01:07 PM
Funny you list one of the few people who left without making a mess. He didn't pressure CART to switch to NA and he didn't follow the Honda money. He left at the end of the 2002 season and that was that.

But lets not paint ol' liver spots with too much of a rosey hue. If half of the rumors of what he's done behind the scenes are true, he's still the worst of the lot.

Insomniac
10-30-06, 01:08 PM

Who does things that aren't in their best interest given a choice? Not that I like what he did at LB, but people generally do what's best for them while trying to minimize harm to others.

Insomniac
10-30-06, 01:12 PM

How is Indy right and Bobby wrong? Just because you think someone did something wrong and should apologize doesn't make it wrong and doesn't mean that person thought it was wrong. This isn't as black and white as many would like it to be. It was a scum bag thing to do no doubt.

Insomniac
10-30-06, 01:16 PM
But lets not paint ol' liver spots with too much of a rosey hue. If half of the rumors of what he's done behind the scenes are true, he's still the worst of the lot.

Ohhh, no doubt. He's no angel by any means, but you can't really (at least publically) link him to trying to destroy CART. He took his team and moved (I'm sure he got some Yen) and aside from his unification talk, kept his mouth shut. I'd put AGR here, except Mikey couldn't help but run his mouth. Chip pushed the NA/Toyota thing only for that to blow up. Fernandez and Rahal went for the kill jumping ship the week of LB.

pchall
10-30-06, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=Insomniac;174761 This isn't as black and white as many would like it to be. It was a scum bag thing to do no doubt.[/QUOTE]

Just what shade of grey do you think Rahal's move just one week before LBGP in 2004 was, then? Even Rahal knows how close to black his actions were, hence his response to Indy.

Insomniac
10-30-06, 01:38 PM
Just what shade of grey do you think Rahal's move just one week before LBGP in 2004 was, then? Even Rahal knows how close to black his actions were, hence his response to Indy.

I called it a scum bag move. I'll never forget it. I don't think he needs to apologize to the fans though (if he wants to, that's another thing). From his perspective he probably made a large sum of money. Why is he going to apologize? Why does he have to? Because you and I didn't like what he did? I don't agree with a lot of things other people do. Should they all owe me an apology?

Andrew Longman
10-30-06, 01:55 PM
Few people in racing, as in life, live totally pious lives. Rahal certainly is not one of them, but he was free to take his team where he wanted and he's free to bring it back.

I can only imagine that the people that felt most screwed by Rahal were the three amigos who doubtless had some conversation about his participation as they were scrambling to put a field together for LB. Whatever was said then, and whatever has been said recently is not known to me, but if they are welcoming him at places like CC banquets (wasn't he at the DP01 debut?), then that means something.

But as for fans giving him grief in a bar on a race weekend, well, that the bed he made. Anyone can say he should or shouldn't apologize, but so long as there are many that are angry with him, he's going to have to deal with it. These guys have to cultivate their image and remember the fans ultimately drive the sponsor dollars. Even if KK et al are OK with him, there are more people he needs to please. Mickey Waltrip doesn't have people throwing bottles at him and he works to keep it that way.

Telling a fan to f off was probably not the most PR sensitive way to rebuild his image.

Then again racing always needs villians.

Ray Scar
10-30-06, 02:04 PM
What Rahole did was inexcusible. If he thought it was in his better (business) interests he could have left way before the season started, said he just couldn't afford to say, and kept his mouth shut. That was the least he could have done for an organization that he used to head.

Instead he chose another path. Maybe he doesn't have to apologize ( I think he should) but he certainly doesn't deserve to be treated with anything but contempt in and around the paddock. Actions have consequences, why should he get any other reward for his behavior than scorn?

I certainly look forward to watching Graham but I hope Booby's fate will be to endure constant epithets while watching Graham from the pit wall.

ferrarigod
10-30-06, 02:23 PM
And the local media didn't report squat about that either. He musta called in a buncha favors on that one. Even the mayor of Cbus' wife got raked over the coals when she got busted a year or so ago (basically ending his run for Gov of Ohiya).

-Kevin

It was common knowledge when he lived in Dublin that she drank excessively and had been pulled over both with and without the kids. It's hard for that not to get around such a tight community. I also bet he didn't call in favors. Dublin in the 80's was very good about driving drunk drivers home, and just dropping their car at the nearest parking lot and giving the other family members the keys. It has happened to those close to me. Dublin cops are *******s with speeding, but pretty nice for other things. I'm sure the minor cases didn't result in anything but a drive home and a stern talking to. Her all-star BAC rating is the only reason we hear about it.

It is also amazing how quickly his bedroom exploits got around Dublin as well.

FBR. I have no problem with anyone saying things to Booby. He did what he did to kill ChampCar, and it didn't work. His time as CEO was beyond pathetic, and so is his raceteam. He deserves a comment like this, and more, each time he attends any ChampCar race.

Jox
10-30-06, 02:35 PM
It's understandable that Bobby would respond in the way he did because he gets no love or respect from fans on both sides of the fence.

I for one respect him because he gives me hope that when I'm old and bald I can still score chicks like Danica Patrick.

RusH
10-30-06, 02:37 PM
It's understandable that Bobby would respond in the way he did because he gets no love or respect from fans on both sides of the fence.

I for one respect him because he gives me hope that when I'm old and bald I can still score chicks like Danica Patrick.

What`s up Jox!!!

Jox
10-30-06, 02:54 PM
What`s up Jox!!!

Not much. I just got tired of talking to myself at the other place.

formulaben
10-30-06, 03:05 PM
I've got a Rahole story. When I can find the pictures I'll post it, but it pretty much confirms he's a Rahole.

Spicoli
10-30-06, 06:08 PM
by Rahole saying "F*** you" to Indy, it means we are/were/will continue to be RIGHT.

Call a douche a douche, and maybe you hit a nerve.

SUCKS TO BE YOU BOOBY RAHOLE!
Not even the gomers want you stinky a$$!

bwahahahaa:rofl:

Indy
10-30-06, 08:17 PM
Thank you for your responses, positive and negative. I posted this at CCF, too, and the responses were, well, more fanatical. :) Nothing beats this place for sheer holistic absurdity, however. Including Debbie Rahal's DUI record and before and after Susan Day pictures was a touch of genius. Somehow all of that put me more at peace about it, and, I think, DNA and Dirk Gently would be proud.

Cam
10-30-06, 09:24 PM
Thank you for your responses, positive and negative. I posted this at CCF, too, and the responses were, well, more fanatical. :) Nothing beats this place for sheer holistic absurdity, however. Including Debbie Rahal's DUI record and before and after Susan Day pictures was a touch of genius. Somehow all of that put me more at peace about it, and, I think, DNA and Dirk Gently would be proud.

Thinking mans Champcar forum. ;)

Spicoli
10-30-06, 09:47 PM
Drinking man's Champcar forum. ;)

Fixdered that fer ya. :gomer:

Cam
10-30-06, 09:50 PM
Fixdered that fer ya. :gomer:

He found that out last weekend! :gomer: ;)

dando
10-30-06, 10:40 PM
It was common knowledge when he lived in Dublin that she drank excessively and had been pulled over both with and without the kids. It's hard for that not to get around such a tight community. I also bet he didn't call in favors. Dublin in the 80's was very good about driving drunk drivers home, and just dropping their car at the nearest parking lot and giving the other family members the keys. It has happened to those close to me. Dublin cops are *******s with speeding, but pretty nice for other things. I'm sure the minor cases didn't result in anything but a drive home and a stern talking to. Her all-star BAC rating is the only reason we hear about it.

It is also amazing how quickly his bedroom exploits got around Dublin as well.

FBR. I have no problem with anyone saying things to Booby. He did what he did to kill ChampCar, and it didn't work. His time as CEO was beyond pathetic, and so is his raceteam. He deserves a comment like this, and more, each time he attends any ChampCar race.

I moved away from Dublin in the mid-80s, and returned in the mid-90s. In the meantime, Booby moved from Dublin to New Albany. In any case, the local media gave him a pass when Debbie was arrested in ~'99 that Mayor Coleman's ald lady didn't get.

-Kevin

pchall
10-30-06, 11:02 PM
I moved away from Dublin in the mid-80s, and returned in the mid-90s. In the meantime, Booby moved from Dublin to New Albany. In any case, the local media gave him a pass when Debbie was arrested in ~'99 that Mayor Coleman's ald lady didn't get.

-Kevin

I wonder how the timing of Booby's move to New Albany (starter castle nirvana circa mid 90s and on...) fits in with the Honda ¥en infusion?

JT265
10-30-06, 11:46 PM

Blame Spikkly for that. I do. :saywhat: :yuck: :rofl:

G.
10-31-06, 12:58 AM
I would still hit Susan Dey.

I would.

And I'd tell people that I did it.

formulaben
10-31-06, 01:06 AM

I would.

The last part is key.

formulaben
10-31-06, 01:09 AM
Somehow all of that put me more at peace about it, and, I think, DNA and Dirk Gently would be proud.

Pardon my ignorance, but why the past tense when referring to DNA and Dirk Gently?

Spicoli
10-31-06, 08:38 AM

I would.

but what about Oprah?:saywhat:

Don Quixote
10-31-06, 09:45 AM

Fat Oprah or Skinny Oprah?

ferrarigod
10-31-06, 09:46 AM
Fat Oprah or Skinny Oprah?

I'd hit Dr. Phil before I'd hit late 80's fat Oprah.:D

Indy
10-31-06, 10:33 AM
Past tense, as in Douglas Adams passed on in '01, I think. He is sorely missed.

Hit Susan Day, tell Oprah she owes us an apology.

G.
10-31-06, 10:56 AM
but what about Oprah?:saywhat:never again.:shakehead

dando
10-31-06, 01:20 PM

I just can't get the South Park Oprah epi "A Million Little Fibers" outta my head. :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup:

-Kevin

RARules
10-31-06, 07:25 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but why the past tense when referring to DNA and Dirk Gently?

Actually, I think it's the conditional perfect form. :)

But on another note - and more to the point, I guess - Douglas Adams passed away several years ago. Quite unfortunate.

I had the fortunate chance to chat with him about 7-8 years ago for at least a half hour. I asked him why the number 42. He said it was totally random. No meaning at all.

Others who may not get this, go look it up and read the book. A great read: "Dirk Gently and the Holistic Detective Agency".

Wally
08-07-07, 03:48 PM
Indy, looking forward to the second installment after this weekend.......:laugh:

Don't let him off so easy this time.;)

Spicoli
08-07-07, 04:05 PM
Indy, looking forward to the second installment after this weekend.......:laugh:

Don't let him off so easy this time.;)

good bump. :thumbup:

pchall
08-07-07, 07:59 PM
Bobby graduate from Dennison in Granville with an ug degree in history. That does not speak well for Dennison...

Indy
08-07-07, 11:22 PM
Hate + drunkles = good times. :gomer:

SteveH
08-08-07, 12:11 AM
Go get him Indy.

Look me up at RA and I'll let you buy me a beer. :D

greenie
08-08-07, 02:31 AM
Needs more Idaho

ferrarigod
08-08-07, 02:39 AM
hate on him. and his nhl kid. hate like smackforum hated. then post it here.

:gomer:

pchall
08-08-07, 11:52 AM
You've got more [guts] than I do for saying that.

"gonads" would be a good word choice here. ;)

pchall
08-08-07, 12:00 PM
Don't be baggin' on the Partridge Family now. Susan Dey was the schiznit!!! :cool:

:laugh:

Shirley Jones. :) She might be the archetypal MILF.