PDA

View Full Version : Daijiro Kato - 1976-2003

Kate
04-20-03, 08:19 AM
In case any of you are bike fans, I am posting this obituary that will run in our newsletter tonight, eulogizing the young biker who lost his life for his sport. He leaves behind a wife and two daughters, one of them less than a month old.

OBITUARY: FAREWELL DAIJIRO-SAN
Written by Benjamin Lowe

It is with heavy heart that I write this obituary, one that in the past two weeks I was hoping that I would never have to write. But I awoke this morning to hear the tragic news that Daijiro Kato, one of the most exciting riders on the MotoGP grid, had lost his brave fight for life after a terrible crash at Suzuka two weeks ago.

Born on the 4th of August 1976, Daijiro was born in Saitama Prefecture in Japan. From an early age Daijiro showed a keen interest in motorcycle racing so it was no surprise that Daijiro made his race debut at the age of 15 in 1992.

From 1994-1999, Daijiro would contest the 250cc All Japan Championship, on a Honda, with mixed success. 7th in his first year, he improved as a rider every year and won the championship in 1997, but an accident at Suzuka in 1998 cost him a chance at back-to-back championships. His final year in the series in 1999 netted him another second place to go with the runner-up spot he won in 1996.

By this time Daijiro had already burst onto the world stage. He had made his first world championship start in 1996 at Suzuka as a wild card, and surprised many by finishing third behind Max Biaggi and Numata. Daijiro then won consecutive races as a wild card in Japan in 1997 and 1998, while he finished fifth in 1999.

After waiting on the sidelines for four years, Daijiro finally got his full championship debut in 2000 with Axo Honda Gresini. His six years of racing in Japan had turned Kato into a consistent but fast rider, and he was the only rider to finish every race of the season in the points. He won four times, in Japan, Portugal, Brazil and Motegi on his way to third place in the championship behind the two Chesterfield Yamaha’s of Olivier Jacque and Shinya Nakano.

During the same year, Kato won his first of two Suzuka 8 hour endurance races on a Honda with fellow 250cc rider Tohru Ukawa.

On a Telefonica Movistar Honda for 2001, Daijiro obliterated the opposition in the 250cc class. He broke Mike Hailwood's record of most wins in the category, taking 11 victories (Japan, South Africa, Spain, France, Catalunya, Britain, Portugal, Valencia, Australia, Malaysia and Brazil) with the only blot on his season being a non-finish at Motegi. He took a clear championship victory from veteran rider Tetsuya Harada.

Daijiro made his MotoGP debut in 2002, graduating with Gresini on the Fortuna Honda. Kato would begin the season on an old NSR500, but in only his third race in Spain he finished a close second behind Valentino Rossi. Kato would struggle on the outdated machinery until getting his hands on the new RC211V at Brno, and immediately impressed, this time finishing behind Max Biaggi on the Yamaha M1. Daijiro also claimed his second victory in the Suzuka 8 hour, this time riding with two-time Superbike champion Colin Edwards.

The 2003 MotoGP season promised a lot for Daijiro. He had a new 2003-spec RC211V, equal to that of the factory Honda squad, and was joined by Sete Gibernau in thew Telefonica Movistar Gresini team. In tricky qualifying conditions, Kato qualified 11th, but was confident of a strong race.

No one really knows what happened on lap 3 of the Skyy Vodka Japanese Grand Prix. Running a strong 5th at the time, Daijiro exited the quick 130R corner and began braking for the chicane. According to his teammate Gibernau, Daijiro’s bike took off to the left instead of the right under braking and slammed into the barrier, flinging the unfortunate Daijiro into the air while the bike destroyed itself against the barriers.

Paramedics were quick to arrive on the scene and reports later said that the trackside doctor restarted Daijiro’s heart at the crash scene. Daijiro was quickly rushed to the helicopter and transported to Yokkaichi Hospital.

The outlook appeared grim. Daijiro was left in a coma with fractures of the T1 and T2 vertebrae. Reports were that Daijiro’s helmet had been split into two.

For two weeks his wife, Makiko, and two daughters, one less than a month old, surrounded Daijiro at his bedside. Team-members were also constantly at his bedside while thousands upon thousands of well wishers flooded his website with e-mails while the official MotoGP website also received thousands from fans across the world wishing the best for Daijiro.

But on the 20th April 2003, Daijiro slipped away and his death was pronounced early in the morning, Japanese time. Already tributes have been flowing in from riders and commentators from around the world.

Daijiro was an exciting rider and his brilliance will never be forgotten. Away from the track he was a personal fellow and loved nothing more than spending time with his young wife and family. His riding and his family were the two most important aspects in his life.

Daijiro lived day to day and lived life to the fullest. And it is on this note that I finish:

‘I don’t know about my future. It’s too early to think about it. The most important matter is what I should do now.’

Goodbye Daijiro.

rabbit
04-20-03, 04:21 PM
Damn, I was hoping he'd pull through. :(