PDA

View Full Version : KK speaksread and heed

trauma1
10-25-06, 04:47 PM
Champ Car’s Kevin Kalkhoven spoke freely to AutoWeek in Australia, and Pete Lyons was listening
2:58 pm, October 25, 2006

Australian billionaire Kevin Kalkhoven denies being the “boss” of the Champ Car World Series, but he has a firm idea of how he wants it to develop. For one thing, he means for the word “World” to become even more meaningful.

“The reality is that Champ Car has gone from being, as well we know, three years ago, struggling, to be in a pretty good situation right now. New cars, new teams; I guarantee you’ll see a bunch of new sponsors. New venues. And I think that you’ll see, particularly with the Las Vegas race, over the next few years that it’s going be one of the biggest motorsports events in the United States.”

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061025/FREE/61025001/1015/TOC01ARCHIVE

pkvracing12
10-25-06, 04:58 PM
:thumbup:

nissan gtp
10-25-06, 05:13 PM
“I don’t think we’ll go for a franchise system, but we may end up with something similar. You know, we’ve tried the franchise system in CART before and…everybody started running the company. You know, the truth is, in motorsports that just doesn’t work too well.”

wonder WTF "something similar" means ? At least it sounds like he's learned something from the past.

Spicoli
10-25-06, 05:14 PM
i think he's learned plenty, and so have those around him.

our owner can kick your owner's ass any day of the week.:tony:

emjaya
10-25-06, 05:21 PM
“You don’t paper-over cracks. You develop a proper foundation. You develop the training series, you develop the kids out of the training series, and over a period of time you develop a strong field that the fans know. That’s how you build a long-term foundation and a relationship with the fans.”

:thumbup: :)

Lizzerd
10-25-06, 05:39 PM
I like KK and CC's future more and more every time I read or hear what he says. :thumbup:

Elmo T
10-25-06, 06:18 PM
More than a vision:gomer: , it sounds like a business plan. Imagine that. :thumbup:

nrc
10-25-06, 06:43 PM
A link and selected quotes would be sufficient. :irked:

NismoZ
10-25-06, 07:00 PM
Would somebody PLEASE send me to Las Vegas for my birthday!?:cry:

devilmaster
10-25-06, 07:35 PM
That sounds so much better than "since it seems the next page is missing, i'll take questions"

racer2c
10-25-06, 08:51 PM
You don’t paper-over cracks...

Is paper emailing him again?:)

RTKar
10-25-06, 09:20 PM
I like KK and CC's future more and more every time I read or hear what he says. :thumbup:

Keep typing that every so often Lizz. I need to keep reading it everytime a driver CC develops bolts for nascar or somewhere else to make more money selling t-shirts than driving a race car and winning races in our series. CC still needs to become a destination and promote the drivers & their personalities. New chassis and more teams are great but losing Dinger was a real kick in the behind.

Chief
10-25-06, 09:51 PM
That sounds so much better than "since it seems the next page is missing, i'll take questions"

You have a great memory...:rofl:

racer2c
10-25-06, 10:00 PM
Keep typing that every so often Lizz. I need to keep reading it everytime a driver CC develops bolts for nascar or somewhere else to make more money selling t-shirts than driving a race car and winning races in our series. CC still needs to become a destination and promote the drivers & their personalities. New chassis and more teams are great but losing Dinger was a real kick in the behind.

But there are more players to blame for AJ bolting than KK and co. Tony George, Red Bull, Toyota, shark agents etc.
KK et al are trying to build a destination series and for the most part, Champ Car is still a major series. Of course young drivers with aspirations of F1 will, at times, try to use Champ Car as a stepping stone and sure the occasional driver may find big bucks in NASCAR, but how many in the past five years have left for F1 and NASCAR?
Let's be honest, AJ went to NASCAR because he was an American. No matter how much the press pushes the issue, NASCAR teams aren't beating the door down at Seabass's house, or Nelsonmania's either or Tags, or even OurGirl's.
Champ Car has an uphill battle, but they have intelligent leaders with a passion for the sport. It's only going to get better and there was nothing the CCWS could do about losing AJ (and it's not like he was a household name).

Lizzerd
10-25-06, 10:07 PM

You won't find a post I've made chastising or complimenting AJ for jumping ship. My comment had nothing to do with him. My interests are more for the future of the series rather than the future of one driver that went away (unwisely, imho) in persuit of the Yen. I don't like what AJ did, but he did what he did for his own reasons. The series will continue and grow and thrive with or without AJ. Then, it will become a destination.

I know... not enough commas. Sorry about that.

RTKar
10-25-06, 11:25 PM
/\

after RA this year I was more positive about the series than I have been in quite awhile but losing a driver that was nurtured by the CC, leaves me wondering again. Wilson and Bourdais are both excellent talents but both have their minds on F1 and Tracy won't be around too much longer I imagine. The future of CC is still thin enough that it hinges on single issues; a track here or there, a single team or owner and even a single driver or two. I'm afraid the message sent by AJ's defection isn't a good one. I was sure he wanted to be an open wheel driver, most importantly one in CC. Sure AJ wasn't a household name at this point but he has that potential. I still believe for this series to succeed in the states, it needs some American drivers and Champcar needs to market all of it's drivers. With turnover in drivers with that marketable potential, CC will have a harder time making the series succeed.

Lizzerd
10-26-06, 01:38 AM
/\

after RA this year I was more positive about the series than I have been in quite awhile but losing a driver that was nurtured by the CC, leaves me wondering again. Wilson and Bourdais are both excellent talents but both have their minds on F1 and Tracy won't be around too much longer I imagine. The future of CC is still thin enough that it hinges on single issues; a track here or there, a single team or owner and even a single driver or two. I'm afraid the message sent by AJ's defection isn't a good one. I was sure he wanted to be an open wheel driver, most importantly one in CC. Sure AJ wasn't a household name at this point but he has that potential. I still believe for this series to succeed in the states, it needs some American drivers and Champcar needs to market all of it's drivers. With turnover in drivers with that marketable potential, CC will have a harder time making the series succeed.

I agree with everything you say, Rick. Maybe I'm looking at the forest when but a single (big) tree falls.

mueber
10-26-06, 08:10 AM
Thread started out positive, now it's turning into another whinefest.

Read the bloody article. Kalkhoven is smart, Kalkhoven is in control, Kalkhoven has a plan. Allmendinger was an employee. See ya kid, good luck and goodbye. Now, back to the interview with Kalkhoven....

RTKar
10-26-06, 08:27 AM
Light a sparkler.

NismoZ
10-26-06, 10:05 AM
But, hey, The Boss could be on his way! No A1 for Jos, I hear. The Dutch bucks want TWO Dutch drivers (?) I believe that would guarantee success of the 2 Euro rounds, and a head up battle between PT and that hero could last as long as half a lap!:D

NismoZ
10-26-06, 10:09 AM
Also, I have now read about possible 3 car teams from FCR, N/H, PKV, Dutch Bucks and?? Good luck with the "Cap 22"...LENGTHEN THE PITS!...somehow.:)

Andrew Longman
10-26-06, 11:00 AM
wonder WTF "something similar" means ? At least it sounds like he's learned something from the past.

I think it could be more like F1 where there are a limited number of "licenses", so to speak, giving the right to race in the series. Unlike the old CART model where the franchise actually gave ownership in the series. But those licenses could grow in value for the teams and help attract funding.

RusH
10-26-06, 11:16 AM
Also, I have now read about possible 3 car teams from FCR, N/H, PKV, Dutch Bucks and?? Good luck with the "Cap 22"...LENGTHEN THE PITS!...somehow.:)

2 cars can use 1 pitbox if the rules were tweaked to allow the second car to come in during a caution after the first car without loosing a position.
But then you`d have more people having to think up at race control.:D

NismoZ
10-27-06, 10:52 AM
Huh, Dutch Bucks are going to use the Minardi name on their team if it happens. What's a "Minardi"... M-something, auto racing division? KK already shot down the one pit idea.

Insomniac
10-27-06, 02:02 PM
2 cars can use 1 pitbox if the rules were tweaked to allow the second car to come in during a caution after the first car without loosing a position.
But then you`d have more people having to think up at race control.:D

Wouldn't that make pit stop times meaningless? I've mentioned it before, if they hit 24 cars and more people want in, they'll figure out how to work it out. Right now, declaring limits is pointless. Limits matter when they are/want to be exceeded.

oddlycalm
10-27-06, 03:17 PM
Building a foundation isn't very glamorous, but it has to be done. The first payoff is the current Atlantic series. My best guess is that after the first season with the DP01 that CCWS is in much better shape in every way. We all knew this was going to be a tough year with aging Lola and a compromised schedule. In the end it was actually better than I imagined.

The other thing that may change has nothing to do with CCWS. F1 has been the dream and destination for a lot of drivers over the years, but with GP2 being the primary path the F1 and the absence of Friday drivers in 2007 the dream will effectively die for most. NASCAR will always be a money magnet for talented young American drivers, but next time one comes along CCWS may be in a much better position to bid to retain them.

TG will still have mindy, but if CCWS plays their cards right they can minimize the damage. Not contributing to the remergification rumors would be a good start. An overseas swing during May might be good timing. Go where the media isn't focused on mindy and make everyone unavailable for comment into the mix.

oc

jonovision_man
10-27-06, 03:18 PM
Surprisingly candid.

"I’m a guy who’s dumb enough to have stepped up to the plate being supported by a bunch of really good people."

Any regrets there Kev? :) I don't envy him, it's a tough job and he's taken a lot of shots while doing his best to turn this ship around, but for the first time in years I think there's a chance that could actually happen. Kudos.

jono

RTKar
10-27-06, 09:19 PM
Thread started out positive, now it's turning into another whinefest.

Read the bloody article. Kalkhoven is smart, Kalkhoven is in control, Kalkhoven has a plan. Allmendinger was an employee. See ya kid, good luck and goodbye. Now, back to the interview with Kalkhoven....

Sure he's smart and he may have a plan but not everything goes according to plan. That said there are certainly more positives this year than say two years ago. A new spec tested with a positive performance. A couple new teams hoping to race next year as well. The race at Road America seems to be reborn; good crowd in bad weather too. It wasn't just a slap dash effort by CC or RA (imho). The best development, is the irl appears to be going backwards. Dissatisfaction seems to be growing in their ranks.
Me being a realist watching CC can't overlook the negatives. A lack of American drivers which I think are needed for the series to survive and grow. Drivers aren't being marketed, really the series isn't being marketed well. The only real "name" is PT and he's getting old. Most importantly TV ratings are still awful. The profile of this series will only get better if drivers like AJ are retained. Drivers may come and go in established series with little impact to the series but CC is stilL trying to develop. I don't think it can become established with a revolving cast of drivers that no one knows. How do you market a team or series when the drivers change midseason and team to team? The diehards will watch, you and I will, but I'm not so sure the very casual observer will pay attention for long.

cameraman
10-27-06, 09:25 PM
Did you read the article:confused:

RTKar
10-27-06, 10:44 PM

Sure did....three times

Rahal has said he ulitmately want's F1, so I expect CC will be a stepping stone.

"Many more Americans", sounds like CEO speak to me, what else is he going to say?

One thing I've learned following racing for as long as I have is, I'll believe it when I see it.

Spicoli
10-27-06, 11:03 PM

no, but your mom needs a ride home. :thumbup: :rofl: :gomer:

racer2c
10-27-06, 11:05 PM
no, but your mom needs a ride home. :thumbup: :rofl: :gomer:

Makes me laugh everytime. :rofl:

nrc
10-27-06, 11:15 PM
Sure did....three times

Rahal has said he ulitmately want's F1, so I expect CC will be a stepping stone.
Rahal is good, but the Euros don't have any particular infatuation with the Rahal name. To get that kind of attention he's going to have to smoke Bourdais in his rookie year. I don't see that happening. From there he drifts completely off the radar.

RTKar
10-28-06, 07:11 AM
Rahal is good, but the Euros don't have any particular infatuation with the Rahal name. To get that kind of attention he's going to have to smoke Bourdais in his rookie year. I don't see that happening. From there he drifts completely off the radar.

I agree, nothing like the power Villeneuve carried but then again it depends on what Bernie wants. We'll see. I just think it's funnier than hell that Rahal's kid is going to race here and not in the irl. :rofl:

jonovision_man
10-28-06, 07:20 AM

If he's slipping of the radar, then he would be well served by a season of GP2. He's a kid, he has time to take a year for a shot at F1. If things don't work out, he'll always have a seat in US OW, if not CCWS then his dad's IRL team.

jono

NismoZ
10-28-06, 10:27 AM
...and GT2 in ALMS?:)

Tifosi24
10-28-06, 11:55 AM
If he's slipping of the radar, then he would be well served by a season of GP2. He's a kid, he has time to take a year for a shot at F1. If things don't work out, he'll always have a seat in US OW, if not CCWS then his dad's IRL team.

jono

He might be better served by a season in GP2, but as Adam Carroll mentioned a couple weeks ago, unless that season is with Arden it is a waste of money. He might have to do a year in GP2 regardless, but as was mentioned earlier if he can beat up on Bourdais out of the box his stock will grow.