PDA

View Full Version : TV Sports coverage is crap

Andrew Longman
10-24-06, 09:15 AM
Like you didn't know...

But what is this new treatment I've seen increasing which is to put on a three hour version of Entertainment Tonight and show a game between segments.

Last night during the MNF game the Giants are on a game turning and crushing 8 minute drive, Manning makes I think three key long 3rd down conversions, and what did we hear about? Emmitt Smith on Dancing With the Star. STFU!!!

Earlier we had to listen to Hank Jr hump some new CD he has out and see Theismann wearing a goofy hat. Hello, there is a game going on!

We now have the "injury commercial break". I guess getting 12 odd change of possessions, two 2:00 warnings, four TV time outs, and halftimes, and post KO breaks was not enough. Now as soon as a player goes down, we go to commercial. No word on how bad it is, how it happened, the impact on the game, season or his career.

During the Division Series, Jeter had a critical and awesome 12 pitch at bat with runners on in game three. Did we hear a word about it? No because they were blabbering with the old Tigers radio guy. Nice bit a history, but then was not the time. In the end all they said was "Jeter grounds to first base, Inning over".

Add in celebrity shots of Fox stars planted in the stands and all the other crap and it adds up to precious little respect for the game and the players. Its like someone yacking it up at a play. Guys spend years preparing to play the sport, days and weeks preparing for the game, coaches are stategizing, effort is completely spent, but they cut to show me the same ad for another plasma TV or bad beer again.

Where is the respect? When did we stop honoring the games and players.

No wonder we get players like TO who deserve so little repsect. Acting out is how to get noticed.

dando
10-24-06, 11:06 AM
Like you didn't know...

But what is this new treatment I've seen increasing which is to put on a three hour version of Entertainment Tonight and show a game between segments.

Last night during the MNF game the Giants are on a game turning and crushing 8 minute drive, Manning makes I think three key long 3rd down conversions, and what did we hear about? Emmitt Smith on Dancing With the Star. STFU!!!

Earlier we had to listen to Hank Jr hump some new CD he has out and see Theismann wearing a goofy hat. Hello, there is a game going on!

We now have the "injury commercial break". I guess getting 12 odd change of possessions, two 2:00 warnings, four TV time outs, and halftimes, and post KO breaks was not enough. Now as soon as a player goes down, we go to commercial. No word on how bad it is, how it happened, the impact on the game, season or his career.

During the Division Series, Jeter had a critical and awesome 12 pitch at bat with runners on in game three. Did we hear a word about it? No because they were blabbering with the old Tigers radio guy. Nice bit a history, but then was not the time. In the end all they said was "Jeter grounds to first base, Inning over".

Add in celebrity shots of Fox stars planted in the stands and all the other crap and it adds up to precious little respect for the game and the players. Its like someone yacking it up at a play. Guys spend years preparing to play the sport, days and weeks preparing for the game, coaches are stategizing, effort is completely spent, but they cut to show me the same ad for another plasma TV or bad beer again.

Where is the respect? When did we stop honoring the games and players.

No wonder we get players like TO who deserve so little repsect. Acting out is how to get noticed.

Same crap they pulled during The OSU/UT game...interviewed Emmit on the sideline during the game about his dancing. WTF does he have to do with either The OSU or UT? :irked:

And then last week ESPN premiered the Jay Z video during the MNF 1/2time, which then was conveniently part of a Bud ad later in the game. :saywhat:

Hence why I prefer to turn the TV sound down and turn on the radio during local game broadcasts. :thumbup:

-Kevin

racer2c
10-24-06, 11:08 AM
I've been saying the same thing about ESPN this year Andrew. A couple of weeks ago they had some actor from Desperate Housewives on pimping the show DURING THE GAME!!!!

chop456
10-24-06, 11:44 AM
Earlier we had to listen to Hank Jr hump some new CD he has out and see Theismann wearing a goofy hat.

I'd like to see Theisman wearing a stole made out of his leg.

Dr. Corkski
10-24-06, 11:49 AM
http://www.ketv.com/2005/0919/4990302_400X300.jpg

Racing Truth
10-24-06, 11:55 AM
http://www.ketv.com/2005/0919/4990302_400X300.jpg

:rofl: In unrelated news, Tim McCarver S-U-C-K-S! That is all.

:gomer:

Ankf00
10-24-06, 11:56 AM
"And it's The Colt .45 from l'il ol' Tuscola, Texas, pardner. Driving the Longhorns with his 6 shooter. Tuscola, Texas, only one blinking stop light in town. The Colt. What a gunslinger from Texas he is"

http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/pukey.gif

chop456
10-24-06, 11:59 AM
:rofl: In unrelated news, Tim McCarver S-U-C-K-S! That is all.

:gomer:

The only reason McCarver sucks is that he failed to beat Deion Sanders to death on live TV.

TKGAngel
10-24-06, 12:26 PM
My beef is with having 'stars' sing the national anthem or God Bless America. If you're going to have a name person sing it on national tv, make sure they can sing on key, on rhythm and know the words - Steven Tyler I'm looking at you. Or better yet, have the fans do it. The good folks in Edmonton showed last year that it is possible.

Beef #2 is that Versus repeats the same stats over and over during their game coverage. During last year's playoffs, if you took a drink everytime they said Ryan Miller was a 25 year old from Michigan State (two drinks for a Hobey Baker mention), you would have been drunk as a skunk by the first intermission.

Did y'all hear that Musburger is part of the NASCAR team for next year?

Racing Truth
10-24-06, 01:46 PM
The only reason McCarver sucks is that he failed to beat Deion Sanders to death on live TV.

Pfffffft. That was the ONLY sensible thing Deion has done off the field.

McCarver is a pompous a$$ who is always master of the obvious.:irked:

TrueBrit
10-24-06, 02:45 PM
Pfffffft. That was the ONLY sensible thing Deion has done off the field.

McCarver is a pompous a$$ who is always master of the obvious.:irked:

I couldn't agree more. He's an obnoxious, self-important, blow-hard wanker.....And Joe Buck ain't that great either....

dando
10-24-06, 04:34 PM
Beef #2 is that OLN repeats the same stats over and over during their game coverage. During last year's playoffs, if you took a drink everytime they said Ryan Miller was a 25 year old from Michigan State (two drinks for a Hobey Baker mention), you would have been drunk as a skunk by the first intermission.

What's an OLN? ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-24-06, 04:36 PM
What's an OLN? ;)

-Kevin

Mountain West Football :tony:

GO HORNY FROGS!!!

oddlycalm
10-24-06, 04:37 PM
Stick and ball sports broadcasts make you realize why NASCAR, the WWE and reality TV can be popular. :yuck:

oc