PDA

View Full Version : Undefeated National Champ?

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 01:07 PM
Hmmm

Seven undefeated teams. Three in the Big East will play each other. WV, Loiusville and RU, so only one can come from the east. OSU and UofM will knock another out. That leaves Boise St and USC.

Boise St will be lucky to make a BCS bowl. There is not enough meat left on their schedule.

Figure SC might just trip with Oregon, Cal, ND or UCLA,

If that happens, that means if Rutgers beats WV and Louisville (#4 and 6 and no small feat but looking increasingly possible) they only have to beat Cinncy, Syracuse and UConn (to be expected) to be undefeated.

Would they then face OSU or Michigan for the national championship?

You laugh, but you heard it here first:gomer:

More seriously, it is fairly likely that there will be an undefeated Big East team high in the top ten and not in the championship game and SC undefeated or with one loss is still likely to be ranked higher. Even the loser of the OSU UofM game will likely not fall below the Big East champion. I smell controversy

I hate the BCS. I hate reputation rankings. Give me playoffs.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 01:31 PM
Rutgers is not as bad as people think, Rutgers is not as good as "undefeated" would make it seem.

Rutgers will most likely be blown away by WVU's speed, although they handled Navy, Navy was nothing once their qb was injured. Rutgers will be the underdog vs L-ville, but it's a winnable game, if Brohm is back by then, well, Scarlet Turnpikes might be screwed.

Boise will make a BCS game if they're undefeated. They're 15th right now, their computer rankings aren't going to get worse, their poll rankings will only improve as they're 15th right now, someone will lose between Ark & LSU both of whom are ranked above Boise, Tenn still has to play both LSU & Ark so whomever wins The Golden Boot still plays Tenn so yet another SEC team will fall below Boise, and Auburn, Florida, Tenn or Arky still can lose the SEC title game. So Boise's going up at least 3 spots with that (Arky wins Golden Boot, loses to Tenn, LSU beats Tenn, Arky beats UF for SEC title, Boise just jumped above 4 now 2-loss SEC teams). Between WV & Lville theyr'e moving up another spot so they're at 11 if everything proceeds conservatively (Big East, 3 SEC teams). If they keep winning they'll probably get a bump. If Cal loses to USC, they jump one more, USC plays ND too.

Big East, Big Televen, & USC can be undefeated w/ chance at title game. WV or L-ville will not be behind a 1-loss USC team, USC hasn't been impressive this year, if they lose in a non-flukey way to Cal, Oregon, ND, or UCLA they'll drop like a rock, although WV could've helped themselves if in their FIVE OOC games they scheduled ONE half decent team.

Hopefully Rutgers beats L-ville, L-ville beats WV, WV beats Rutgers, then all will be well in the universe :p

ferrarigod
10-23-06, 01:32 PM
I think everyone will lose a game but tOSU.

UF will beat Auburn in the SEC, and I'll be in Tempe with UF friends cheering on tOSU.

If UF wins out, and SC does lose, and UF has to beat Auburn in the SEC, UF strength of schedule gets them to the game. Even if Rutgers goes undefeated, BCS title will still be tOSU vs. USC/UT/Auburn/UF, something like that, not matter 0 losses or 1 loss.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 01:39 PM
Arky has to lose 2 games for Auburn to win the west. Which can happen with both Lester & The Great Pumkin left on the sched.

But with Mustain's improvement over the season & McFadden returning to health & form, don't see the piggies dropping both.

Btw, what happened to Lester Miles winning the SEC? He might have 4 conference losses if The Great Pumpkin & Arky have their way :tony:

edit: Tenn, Arky, LSU - The Uncle/Daddy Triple Crown :gomer: :laugh:

dando
10-23-06, 03:25 PM
Rutgers will be the underdog vs L-ville, but it's a winnable game, if Brohm is back by then, well, Scarlet Turnpikes might be screwed.

Ever observant, f00 fails to notice that Brohm has been back for the past two games:

http://sports-ak.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=164609

:gomer: :p

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 03:47 PM
Ever observant, f00 fails to notice that Brohm has been back for the past two games:

-Kevin

Beat me to it. And they did not look great getting past Syracuse.

I think RU gets past Louisville. Its a home game and will be absolutely packed and its on national TV. RU has an off week to prepare and just looks to me to be the better team right now.

Ank is right that WV speed is their advantage, but RU is very fast on defense and on offense they block and run between the tackles so well it doesn't really matter. Still, WV is the big nut they probably can't crack on the schedule IMO.

Good points on how Boise St might move up. Didn't look at other schedules. Hard to say how good they really are though given their schedule. Same could be said about much of the Big East though. That's why we need a playoff.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 04:32 PM
last year the big east was 1-5 or something in bowl games with WVU's 28-0 jump on UGa being their only saving grace. A W is a W, but the Big East fell flat on its face last year.

Boise has a much better track record in bowl games in the recent past. Judging by Hawkins' record at CU, the genius behind Boise's balanced offense year in year out (1000 yd back, 1000yd WR, 3000yd qb) was Peterson. Only 2 coaches remain from last year's Boise staff and Boise has improved markedly from last year, credit goes to Zabranski's confidence & improvement as well. While Fresno's received so much media hype since David Carr's season in 2000, Boise went on a 5-0 run against them through '04 finally falling to Fresno last year.

The year before last Boise hung with 1 loss l-ville in a shootout in the Liberty Bowl. Boise wins going away against Rutgers, Rutgers doesn't have any W's of the same caliber as what Boise's racked up yet and Boise's not even in a BCS conference.

Rutgers has no passing game, once they face a D with a solid, fast front 7 they fall.

SMURF TURF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Ankf00
10-23-06, 04:35 PM

-Kevin

meh, surgically repaired thumb, early return, if he's healed & healthy by then... if not oh well, that works to Rutgers favor.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 04:53 PM
If that happens, that means if Rutgers beats WV and Louisville (#4 and 6 and no small feat but looking increasingly possible) they only have to beat Cinncy, Syracuse and UConn (to be expected) to be undefeated.

There is no way WVU loses to Rutgers. They'll be playing them in the last game and at that time, they'll be at their best regardless of what happens against UofL.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 04:57 PM
Boise will make a BCS game if they're undefeated. They're 15th right now, their computer rankings aren't going to get worse, their poll rankings will only improve as they're 15th right now, someone will lose between Ark & LSU both of whom are ranked above Boise, Tenn still has to play both LSU & Ark so whomever wins The Golden Boot still plays Tenn so yet another SEC team will fall below Boise, and Auburn, Florida, Tenn or Arky still can lose the SEC title game. So Boise's going up at least 3 spots with that (Arky wins Golden Boot, loses to Tenn, LSU beats Tenn, Arky beats UF for SEC title, Boise just jumped above 4 now 2-loss SEC teams). Between WV & Lville theyr'e moving up another spot so they're at 11 if everything proceeds conservatively (Big East, 3 SEC teams). If they keep winning they'll probably get a bump. If Cal loses to USC, they jump one more, USC plays ND too.

Big East, Big Televen, & USC can be undefeated w/ chance at title game. WV or L-ville will not be behind a 1-loss USC team, USC hasn't been impressive this year, if they lose in a non-flukey way to Cal, Oregon, ND, or UCLA they'll drop like a rock, although WV could've helped themselves if in their FIVE OOC games they scheduled ONE half decent team.

Hopefully Rutgers beats L-ville, L-ville beats WV, WV beats Rutgers, then all will be well in the universe :p

In defense of WVU, the Governor forced them to schedule 1 game against Marshall, so that leaves 4. The obligatory D-II opponent leaves 3 and many of those games were scheduled in advance (Maryland, ECU). I believe they have Florida State planned in future years. They are also having trouble getting a good team to agree to home/away long term. But, such is life, suck it up and play a one-off away against a good team or this will happen every year where you're on the outside looking in.

For our sake, I think we need a USC loss, WVU 12-0 and UofL 11-1, Rutgers 10-2, Pitt 8-4. That should definitely put us at #2 solid in the BCS.

Dr. Corkski
10-23-06, 05:01 PM
Nobody wants a weekend getaway in West Virginia? NO WAY! :laugh:

dando
10-23-06, 05:27 PM
I think RU gets past Louisville. Its a home game and will be absolutely packed and its on national TV. RU has an off week to prepare and just looks to me to be the better team right now.

Outside of the obvious big games, RU better watch the trap game against UC @ UC. I tend to think that each of these teams will lose in the round robin of WV @ Louis, Louis @ RU, and RU @ WV. I've not watched either team to breakdown the matchups much, but RU's D vs. the one-dimensional WV O is intriguing.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-23-06, 05:29 PM
RU's D vs. the one-dimensional WV O is intriguing.

Speed kills.

dando
10-23-06, 05:40 PM
Speed kills.

Yeah, that's the same shiat I heard before the 2003 Fiesta Bowl. :gomer:

Quite frankly, WV's schedule is so weak to this point, it's hard to tell how good they are. What's even more perplexing is why RU is so highly regarded by the 'puter polls @ #7, while WV site @ #14. Both have played very weak schedules to date. *shrug*

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 05:48 PM
There is no way WVU loses to Rutgers. They'll be playing them in the last game and at that time, they'll be at their best regardless of what happens against UofL.

If I'm betting money today I agree with you.

But if RU goes into that game 11-0 I'd say its a toss up.

There is something very special about this RU team. The are very workmanlike, egoless, smart, and tough. They don't seem to get rattled (see 90 yard counterpunch to Pitts score).

They remind me of a classic Paterno team of old. Great defense, crushing running game, exceptional special teams, capable quarterback asked to manage a good game and not lose it.

Ank, talk as you like about Speed, but RU is as fast as anyone on D. And speed doesn't help if the offensive line and fullback just put you on your back.

BTW, I am please and surprised by the knowledge of RU football here, especially the joke they have been since they beat Princeton in 1869

Ankf00
10-23-06, 06:01 PM
but RU is as fast as anyone on D. ummm, yea, im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 06:08 PM

-Kevin

McGahee's knee, BS PI, tOSU D speed

Every BCS bowl winner last year ran a spread. tOSU & Tenn are the only BCS champs who didn't run a spread.

speed kills, applies to both sides of the ball.

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 06:14 PM
ummm, yea, im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there.

Fair enough, but I should clarify. Schiano is of the light and fast school of defense, just like the old Jimmy Johnson Canes and Boys. RU may not be able to hang with WRs with world class speed, but they will put the QB on his back before that fast WR can use his speed advantage. Led the nation in sacks last year. Look what they've done this year. They beat the crap out of Palko all day against Pitt.

coolhand
10-23-06, 09:14 PM
Every BCS bowl winner last year ran a spread. tOSU & Tenn are the only BCS champs who didn't run a spread.

What? are you saying since 97?

Ankf00
10-23-06, 10:05 PM
do you always miss the forest for the trees?

Insomniac
10-23-06, 10:26 PM
Outside of the obvious big games, RU better watch the trap game against UC @ UC. I tend to think that each of these teams will lose in the round robin of WV @ Louis, Louis @ RU, and RU @ WV. I've not watched either team to breakdown the matchups much, but RU's D vs. the one-dimensional WV O is intriguing.

-Kevin

I don't think anyone can shut down WVU. Can anyone shut them down enough to outscore them is the question in my mind. I don't see it. Then again, I'm biased. And then again, I'm also conditioned to expect them to choke and I'm not feeling that for some reason. :)

And not that anything Charlie Weis says is Gospel but:

Q. Last week you were very complimentary of both West Virginia and Louisville. You said that no one wants to play either one of those teams right now. Why is that? What makes those teams of worthy of such praise from you?

COACH WEIS: Let's start with that West Virginia team. I watched them again a little bit in the Syracuse game they just played on Saturday. They have very, very, very extraordinary team speed on offense. That quarterback, that was a career day. Ever see a quarterback play like that? I haven't. I mean, a running quarterback. He had four touchdowns. I think the stats were 15 carries for 247 yards and four touchdowns. Not that I'm counting any stats or anything like that. You might want to check. I think I might have that right.

That runningback, No. 10, he's pretty darn good, too. I think he had 160 plus with two touchdowns himself. That offense, you know, first of all, they're very well?coached. They have great team speed on offense. Not that they stop everyone on defense, but you have a tough time ever stopping them.

Louisville, they lose their runningback and their quarterback. They just get their quarterback back. Now they obviously looked a little rusty against Cincinnati because I got that on my bonus coverage package. That was a little bonus coverage. But he still threw for about 350 in that game, his first game back.

I think the thing that both those teams show you is offensive firepower.

Q. Does that statement carry extra weight given your knowledge, success? Also you have a pretty talented team yourself in South Bend.

COACH WEIS: We're pretty good. But both those coaches, Rodriguez and Patrino, I'd say, are two of the brightest offensive minds in college football.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 10:31 PM
Quite frankly, WV's schedule is so weak to this point, it's hard to tell how good they are. What's even more perplexing is why RU is so highly regarded by the 'puter polls @ #7, while WV site @ #14. Both have played very weak schedules to date. *shrug*

-Kevin

I'm guessing Rutgers isn't as weak up to now. Also, it's not like WVU is squeaking by here. They're destroying the teams they should destroy. It hasn't been close outside a couple teams who made it competitive one poseesion into the 3rd Q.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 10:33 PM

Blowing up McGahee's knee helps a lot. ;)

Insomniac
10-23-06, 10:41 PM
There is something very special about this RU team. The are very workmanlike, egoless, smart, and tough. They don't seem to get rattled...

You're also describing WVU's mentality and character.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 10:50 PM
Fair enough, but I should clarify. Schiano is of the light and fast school of defense, just like the old Jimmy Johnson Canes and Boys. RU may not be able to hang with WRs with world class speed, but they will put the QB on his back before that fast WR can use his speed advantage. Led the nation in sacks last year. Look what they've done this year. They beat the crap out of Palko all day against Pitt.

Good luck catching the WVU QB. :) If you put 8 in the box you need good DBs to play man coverage. Also, Rutgers only saw White for a few snaps last year and that was Slaton's second game and first start.

dando
10-23-06, 10:57 PM
I don't think anyone can shut down WVU. Can anyone shut them down enough to outscore them is the question in my mind. I don't see it. Then again, I'm biased. And then again, I'm also conditioned to expect them to choke and I'm not feeling that for some reason. :)

I guess we'll see. It's just interesting that WVU has human poll love, but not 'puter poll love, and Rutgers vice versa...despite similarly weak schedules. It's an interesting juxtaposition, and there are several examples like this in the first 2 BC$ polls. I guess we'll se the truth on 11/2 and 11/9. I for one can't wait. :cool: 'spcially since the Bucks gots walk overs the next three weeks. :D

BTW, WVU once one of my pre-season dark horse picks. :)

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-23-06, 10:59 PM
I don't think anyone can shut down WVU. Can anyone shut them down enough to outscore them is the question in my mind. I don't see it. Then again, I'm biased.

I watched 3-4 WVU conference games once Pat White stepped in and was immediately blown away by their speed. Rodriguez doesn't just rely on athletes to win games, he has a scheme that best suits those athletes.

But Pat White cannot pass. WVU is highly one dimensional. Miami going with team speed back in the 80's is what lead to the demise of the option. Facing a top D could shut down WVU, not that it will necessarily, but their speed advantage will be negated and unless they can pass against cover 1 & 0 w/ badass cover corners like Cooper Riley & Aaron Ross playing man-free they'll be hung out to dry as the D stacks the box. And that won't be a big/slow D in the box, it's going to be big DE's w/ 4.6 speed & big LB's with 4.4-5 speed.

The top D's are not just fast, but also big. Auburn vs. LSU epitomized this. Watching 2 D's chock full of man-children... woo, the best defenses, like those 2, have that top speed w/o sacrificing size. Watching DB's & LB's keep up with certified badasses like Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet & Craig Davis, and then hit them so hard their heads end up in another time zone gets the point across right quick. That marriage of size & speed seen at USC, Texas, Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. is something WVU has yet to face this season. WVU beat UGa last year, but after the quick lead being opportunistic w/ UGa's TO's, WVU struggled to sustain steady, normal drives & allowed UGa to come back. WVU might wreck shop in a BCS bowl this year, they might get wrecked too with their one dimensionalness. Either way, I can't wait to see it.

Also that 3-3-5 base D Rodriguez uses is another risk, designed to stop pass-dependent spreads like Tech's Air Raid, but that's another discussion for another day...

Insomniac
10-24-06, 08:27 AM
I guess we'll see. It's just interesting that WVU has human poll love, but not 'puter poll love, and Rutgers vice versa...despite similarly weak schedules. It's an interesting juxtaposition, and there are several examples like this in the first 2 BC$ polls. I guess we'll se the truth on 11/2 and 11/9. I for one can't wait. :cool: 'spcially since the Bucks gots walk overs the next three weeks. :D

I like computers because they just crunch data. Problem is, with 120+ teams it's hard to do an apples to apples comparison. The BCS is stupid. They should've just used a thrid human poll instead of the computers. They spent years trying to "fix" the computers. Remember the quality wins component? They wanted to tweak the computers to end up closer to the human polls. Rutgers is way down there because they've come from nowhere to be 7-0. It's easier to fall down the rankings then move up. WVU's love started with their Sugar Bowl win over the SEC champs. However, notice they still get jumped over when teams ahead of them lose. So there's not that much love. ;)

Insomniac
10-24-06, 08:34 AM
I watched 3-4 WVU conference games once Pat White stepped in and was immediately blown away by their speed. Rodriguez doesn't just rely on athletes to win games, he has a scheme that best suits those athletes.

But Pat White cannot pass. WVU is highly one dimensional. Miami going with team speed back in the 80's is what lead to the demise of the option. Facing a top D could shut down WVU, not that it will necessarily, but their speed advantage will be negated and unless they can pass against cover 1 & 0 w/ badass cover corners like Cooper Riley & Aaron Ross playing man-free they'll be hung out to dry as the D stacks the box. And that won't be a big/slow D in the box, it's going to be big DE's w/ 4.6 speed & big LB's with 4.4-5 speed.

The top D's are not just fast, but also big. Auburn vs. LSU epitomized this. Watching 2 D's chock full of man-children... woo, the best defenses, like those 2, have that top speed w/o sacrificing size. Watching DB's & LB's keep up with certified badasses like Dwayne Bowe, Early Doucet & Craig Davis, and then hit them so hard their heads end up in another time zone gets the point across right quick. That marriage of size & speed seen at USC, Texas, Auburn, LSU, Florida, etc. is something WVU has yet to face this season. WVU beat UGa last year, but after the quick lead being opportunistic w/ UGa's TO's, WVU struggled to sustain steady, normal drives & allowed UGa to come back. WVU might wreck shop in a BCS bowl this year, they might get wrecked too with their one dimensionalness. Either way, I can't wait to see it.

Also that 3-3-5 base D Rodriguez uses is another risk, designed to stop pass-dependent spreads like Tech's Air Raid, but that's another discussion for another day...

I'm not convinced on the passing yet either. He didn't look bad against UCONN when he was "forced" to pass (3rd and long or 8 guys in the box). Right now, he has Big Ben type numbers. The only difference is, I've yet to see them in a situation where he is forced to pass more than 20 or so times a game. It's one of those things where I hope it's a if you don't need it, why use it. Or to use the sports guy, the Milton Berle corollary. :)

The WVU D is severly lacking in pass defense. They're actually pretty good on the run defense I think. I'm guessing the speed of the DBs helps and the "newness" the 3-3-5 is to most teams.

Ankf00
10-24-06, 09:35 AM
it's useless to bitch about the computer polls at the halfway point through the season.

they're no good until they get an entire season's worth of data. at that point bitching about their legitimacy is fair.

dando
10-24-06, 10:55 AM
it's useless to bitch about the computer polls at the halfway point through the season.

they're no good until they get an entire season's worth of data. at that point bitching about their legitimacy is fair.

I'm not bitching about them...I'm pointing some of the anomalies. I have no reason to piss & moan...we're #1. :cool: :p In any case, how they have RU and WVU flipped is beyond reason. Serial. :saywhat:

EDIT: 2 Louisville WRs suspended from the team after a paintball assault incident after the 'cuse victory. Dumbasses.

-Kevin

JoeBob
10-24-06, 11:10 AM
What I don't get is the constant tweaking of the BCS to get results closer to those of the human polls. If that's what you want, why not just use the human polls?

Ankf00
10-24-06, 11:12 AM
Until enough teams have played each other to interconnect everyone, the rankings are based in part on whatever initial values each poll decided to use for each team.

OOC:
WVU played Marshall, E. Wash, Maryland, ECU, Miss St.: 13-24 35%
Rutgers played UNC, Illinois, Ohio, Howard, Navy: 15-22 41%

1-AA EWU 2-6, 1-AA Howard 2-5

Big East play:
WVU has only played the bottom Syr & UConn, 0-5 in conf, 6-9 overall.
Rutgers has played S. Florida & Pitt, 3-3 in conf, 11-5 overall.

Total:
WVU Opponent W/L: 19-35 -> 37%
RU Opponent W/L: 26-27 -> 49%

WVU will eventually play S Florida, Pitt & their standings will rise accordingly
Rutgers will eventually play Syr & UConn & their standings will fall accordingly

It's not "beyond reason," it makes complete sense. Over the next 6 weeks they will finally begin playing common opponents which will allow the computers to relate the performance of both teams more directly.

dando
10-24-06, 11:27 AM
What I don't get is the constant tweaking of the BCS to get results closer to those of the human polls. If that's what you want, why not just use the human polls?

Because they keep playing whack a mole to placate whatever conference or team is pissing and moaning most recently...except the fans, who generally want a playoff (based on polls). :saywhat: It's like NASCAB of a few years ago, when they constantly made rule changes during the season based on mfg complaints. :shakehead

-Kevin

dando
10-24-06, 11:40 AM
Until enough teams have played each other to interconnect everyone, the rankings are based in part on whatever initial values each poll decided to use for each team.

OOC:
WVU played Marshall, E. Wash, Maryland, ECU, Miss St.: 13-24 35%
Rutgers played UNC, Illinois, Ohio, Howard, Navy: 15-22 41%

1-AA EWU 2-6, 1-AA Howard 2-5

Big East play:
WVU has only played the bottom Syr & UConn, 0-5 in conf, 6-9 overall.
Rutgers has played S. Florida & Pitt, 3-3 in conf, 11-5 overall.

Total:
WVU Opponent W/L: 19-35 -> 37%
RU Opponent W/L: 26-27 -> 49%

WVU will eventually play S Florida, Pitt & their standings will rise accordingly
Rutgers will eventually play Syr & UConn & their standings will fall accordingly

It's not "beyond reason," it makes complete sense. Over the next 6 weeks they will finally begin playing common opponents which will allow the computers to relate the performance of both teams more directly.
f00, thanks for the data analysis, but here's my point about using the phrase beyond resason:

Reason: the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination.

Computers can't do that, humans can. Also, you need to go down another level to prove out your numbers, but obviously they prove your point to an extent. Humans are able to rationalize those numbers based on other factors to come to a more reasonable conclusion. YMMV.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-24-06, 11:50 AM
What has WVU done to date that merits a higher ranking other than reputation and preseason ranking? I agree they're the more talented team, but at some point the rankings need to go by what's on the field. Some pollsters like CBS' Brando completely ignore what was on the field and rank Cal 3+ spots above Tenn

Insomniac
10-24-06, 12:50 PM

I wasn't really complaining about this year. Just pointing out in the past that they keep trying to correct the computers. I'm reserving my complaints for the end of the year. Basically, if a Big East team is undefeated and USC loses, I'll be mad if they are left out. If USC goes 12-0 and they play OSU/UofM (assuming one is 12-0) I'm fine with that. That's the price of not playing tougher teams.

Insomniac
10-24-06, 12:52 PM

I think they want 3 components because if 2 polls don't match up people are flipping out. That's why I said use 3 human polls.

Insomniac
10-24-06, 12:54 PM
f00, thanks for the data analysis, but here's my point about using the phrase beyond resason:

Reason: the capacity for rational thought or inference or discrimination.

Computers can't do that, humans can. Also, you need to go down another level to prove out your numbers, but obviously they prove your point to an extent. Humans are able to rationalize those numbers based on other factors to come to a more reasonable conclusion. YMMV.

-Kevin

Humans are just as capable of applying bias which a computer will not.

Insomniac
10-24-06, 12:57 PM
What has WVU done to date that merits a higher ranking other than reputation and preseason ranking? I agree they're the more talented team, but at some point the rankings need to go by what's on the field. Some pollsters like CBS' Brando completely ignore what was on the field and rank Cal 3+ spots above Tenn

Right, it's all a lot of assumption. Some of it is good, some of it is bad. A team can only play who is on their schedule and the pollsters have to decide how to rank 'em.

Ankf00
10-24-06, 01:09 PM
One thing's for sure, there's 5 more weeks of regular season football including the battle royale for the Big East, tOSU/Michigan, USC vs. Ore/Cal/ND. Then there's Arky/LSU/Tenn 3 way determing Auburn's fate.

Then we still have SEC & Big XII title games and USC/UCLA first week of Dec.

Lots of football to play out.

Andrew Longman
10-24-06, 01:16 PM
All this just shows that the rankings are stupid and they need to go to a playoff system like any other sport on the planet (and any other NCAA sport)

Worse, I'm now seeing this ranking stuff splill into the NFL. Last week the ESPN crew were each giving their rankings for the top five NFL teams. Who cares?! They have standings. They have playoffs. Nothing more is needed. Play the games! That's why they have the sport in the first place.

But all this does show that Rutgers is better than many thought :gomer:

(forgive me, I am celebrating while I can)

Insomniac
10-24-06, 02:22 PM
All this just shows that the rankings are stupid and they need to go to a playoff system like any other sport on the planet (and any other NCAA sport)

Worse, I'm now seeing this ranking stuff splill into the NFL. Last week the ESPN crew were each giving their rankings for the top five NFL teams. Who cares?! They have standings. They have playoffs. Nothing more is needed. Play the games! That's why they have the sport in the first place.

But all this does show that Rutgers is better than many thought :gomer:

(forgive me, I am celebrating while I can)

"Rankings" in the NFL are nothing new. People like to do that stuff. They like "experts" to tell us who is better than who. Nothiong matters until the champ is crowned. Indy is always a proverbial favorite on paper, doesn't do them much good.

In college, it might help you get a better bowl game, but won't help you win it.

Andrew Longman
10-24-06, 03:15 PM
"Rankings" in the NFL are nothing new. People like to do that stuff. They like "experts" to tell us who is better than who. Nothiong matters until the champ is crowned. Indy is always a proverbial favorite on paper, doesn't do them much good.

In college, it might help you get a better bowl game, but won't help you win it.

I've seen rankings for offense and scoring defense and such. And I've seen vegas odds on who will win the SB and the like.

I have not, until this year, seen or cared to know what Michael Irvin and Steve Young had as the "top five ranked" teams in the league. That's new to me and pointless IMO. Just so much more BS to fill too much time they've sold ad time for.

Way more hip and hype than what's actually happening on the field.

Ankf00
10-24-06, 03:19 PM
I have not, until this year, seen or cared to know what Michael Irvin and Steve Young had as the "top five ranked" teams in the league. That's new to me and pointless IMO. Just so much more BS to fill too much time they've sold ad time for.

that's nothing new, ESPN, SI, Sporting News & Sportsline have been doing "power rankings" for years

JoeBob
10-24-06, 04:03 PM
There is a very, very simple reason that college football will never have a playoff - money.

And, in this case, too much money.

If there was a college football playoff, it would bring in sums of money beyond anything that has ever been seen in college sports. At that point, somebody will ask, "Why aren't the guys who are actually busting their asses on the field not getting a piece of the action?"

The players on the national championship team will have played somewhere between 2 and 4 extra games, their university will have brought in probably close to a hundred million dollars, and they'll get a ring.

Ankf00
10-24-06, 04:11 PM
we're 1 undefeated SEC team away from forcing the Pac-10 & Big Ten to capitulate on their "no +1 system" stance. at that point the SEC would just withdraw from the system

dando
10-24-06, 04:39 PM
The players on the national championship team will have played somewhere between 2 and 4 extra games, their university will have brought in probably close to a hundred million dollars, and they'll get a ring.

Not if the NC2A had any sense. Get rid of the 12th game that should never have been added, use the bowls +1 for the semis final and a championship for the top 8 and it's 1 game extra for the student athletes playing in the championship only. The NC2A claims a playoffs creates a hardship for student athletes and then adds a 12th game for everyone. Yeah, that makes sense. :saywhat: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-24-06, 04:45 PM
The NC2A claims a playoffs creates a hardship for student athletes

That's the university presidents, they recommended against a 12th game, NCAA said "too bad"

NCAA doesn't handle the bowl system beyond sanctioning it, BCS is entirely a construct of the conference commissioners and university presidents