PDA

View Full Version : Tires - 'EuroMetric'

racer2c
10-23-06, 12:14 PM
Dear tire experts,

My wife’s 2003 Chrysler Town and Country minivan needed tires. I went to the closest tire dealer (a real dealer not a gas station) and said I need four Firestone Firehawks (I put Firehawks on my truck based on the ratings at tirerack.com and I have to say I love these tires! Great in rain, dry, smooth and quite. Heck even in the snow last year I hardly had to use the 4x4.) on this minivan please. They said “sure, no prob.”. A few minutes later he came back and said “sorry sir, I can’t put those tires on your van because your van calls for ‘EuroMetric’ tires and the Firehawks don’t come in that style”.

“Hmm, ok” I said, “you’re a Bridgestone dealer also, give me four of those”. “Sorry, they don’t have any either” he proclaimed. “Ok, you deal in Michelins. They are a French company, they should produce something that will fit on my van”. “Nope, sorry.” he said. “Why not?” I inquired. “Well, we go through American Tire Wholesalers who only stock what they feel are the popular sizes”. “But there are 100 million Chrysler/Dodge minivans in this country!” I exclaimed.

I continue to help this guy help me and ask him “what tire do you have for my van?”. He told me that he could only put the OEM Goodyear Invicta’s back on it due to the recommended tire pressure from the van manufacture and that is why they use metric due to their higher pressure capability.
He broke out his official “tire book” and showed me where it had my van and listed ’35 lbs’ for recommended pressure. I asked him to look up the max rating for the Firehawk he showed was 45lbs. I said, “see, it doesn’t make sense.”.
He said the Firehawks would fit, but he isn’t allowed to install them on vehicles that call for eurometric tires. I caved and went with the Goodyear which are horrible tires but she needed something that day and they were better than nothing.

I obviously could have purchased the tires and had them installed at a gas station or something but time started to be an issue.
Has anyone else run into this?

Signed,

‘Tired’ and confused.

cameraman
10-23-06, 12:25 PM
Looks like that whole Ford Exploder thing got the liability lawyers working overtime at Firestone...

nrc
10-23-06, 12:25 PM
Friends don't let friends buy Goodyear tires. I'm sorry we've reached you too late.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=173390

Euro metric and P-metric tires in the same size (i.e. P225/60R16 & 225/60R16) are equivalent in their dimensions with just slight differences in their load capacity calculations and inflation pressure tables. So if Euro metric and P-metric tires have the same numeric size, the same tire performance category and the same speed rating, the two are considered equivalent and interchangeable if used in axle pairs or sets of four. Simply continue to follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures provided in the vehicle's owner's manual or on the vehicle tire placard (usually found on the door jamb or on the glovebox or counsel door) for either size tire.

I don't know if there's any legal liability reason for this guy to be pedantic about it, but I'd have gone to a Firestone dealership and asked them. It may not be too late if they have some kind of guarantee that you'll like the tires.

emjaya
10-23-06, 05:24 PM
Simply continue to follow your vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures provided in the vehicle's owner's manual or on the vehicle tire placard (usually found on the door jamb or on the glovebox or counsel door) for either size tire.

Btw, ignore the "vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation pressures", always go with what is written on the tyre sidewall. :)
The vehicle manufacturer's pressures are always a little on the low side. :rolleyes:

racer2c
10-23-06, 06:14 PM
Thanks guys.

I'm upset with myself that I settled for the Goodyears. After two weeks they are already bulging at the seams on the sidewalls. The dealer explained that it is typical of Goodyear Invicta's as they use a single sidewall belt where other better tires use multiple belts that overlap at the seams.

Al Czervik
10-23-06, 06:58 PM
The tire should have a load rating on it, i.e. 225/55-16 93H, where "93" is the load rating. If you replace the tire w/ the same section width, aspect ratio, rim diameter, and same or higher load rating, you should be fine.

BTW, if you follow the above, use your car manufacturers pressure recomendation. The tire sidewall gives the max pressure for the tire.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=35

nrc
10-23-06, 07:04 PM
I may not have been clear that when I suggested a Firestone dealer I was talking about one of their actual franchised autocare stores. If I go to their web site here's what it comes up with when I put your vehicle in (guessing at the specific trim level).

FR380™ Firestone 215/65R16 Standard Both T 55,000 73.99
FR710™ Firestone 215/65R16 Standard Both T 65,000 UNI-T® 84.99
Insignia™ SE200 Bridgestone 215/65R16 Standard Both T 65,000 UNI-T® 97.99
Affinity® LH30 Firestone 215/65R16 Standard Both H 70,000 UNI-T® 111.99
Turanza EL400 Bridgestone 215/65R16 Standard Both T 70,000 UNI-T® 114.99
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/

BTW, the last time I was considering Bridgestones from tirerack.com I went to the Firestone site and got a online quote very competitive with Tire Rack when you consider the cost of shipping, mounting and balancing.