PDA

View Full Version : Man that race coverage sucked!

Chiphead_Dave
10-23-06, 10:43 AM
Missed just about every important moment.

Didn't get the end of the race on my tivo because
Speed either
1. Didn't give out the correct time slot.
2. F1 wrapup ran late.

One reason why I don't care if we get more overseas races.
Not that I am against them but I spent most of the coverage
typing on my laptop.

nrc
10-23-06, 12:10 PM
The RD coverage seemed better. It seemed like important bits were missed because of commercial and there's no excuse for that in a tape delayed race. Also the screen graphics are just completely out of hand.

One nice thing is that the camera work and the variety of shots were actually much better than the average CC race. Pity the graphics and poor editing (or lack of it) messed it up.

cameraman
10-23-06, 12:16 PM
The person who specified the graphics used during Champ Car races needs to be beaten. Severely.

And Kalkhoven and Forsythe should be locked in a hotel room on race day and forced to sit and watch one race so can learn what to fix.:irked:

GOFAST1
10-23-06, 01:09 PM
Agree. Good tv partner is a must.

racer2c
10-23-06, 01:17 PM
I've gotten in the habit of manually extending the end of my DVR setting for Champ Car races and i still missed the last four laps. Grrr.

the video quality was strange. It looked like stock footage from the early '80's. Like the white haze that you see from the stock North Korea video.

They need a third in the booth. too much on DD's shoulders and even though I'm not a DD hater, he was just too much for me yesterday.

I really liked the overhead pit lane camera that would chase the car out of the pit box and down pit lane. Very cool.

oddlycalm
10-23-06, 01:26 PM
Agree. Good tv partner is a must. It's a CCWS production, there is no partner, it's just a straight time buy. That's what makes it more painful, this ins't something that's being shoved down their throats, CCWS contracts with a production company to produce the broadcast. They can have whatever graphics they want.

oc

Chiphead_Dave
10-23-06, 01:29 PM
I've gotten in the habit of manually extending the end of my DVR setting for Champ Car races and i still missed the last four laps. Grrr.

I extend every time.

devilmaster
10-23-06, 01:36 PM
Its the same problem with F1 on Speed. You cannot equal a broadcast on site if you're half a world away watching it on monitors and internet connections.

It just doesn't work. If you're going to do that, might as well just feed the whole broadcast from Aussie Ten.

When you do a full on broadcast, TV has its own spotters around the track, feeding info back into the booth, so that the broadcast team are johnny on the spot with tidbits that help flush out the coverage. I don't believe the CC broadcast has that anymore, regardless of where they are at.

Canadians are somewhat lucky in the fact that TSN also shows F1 races, but uses the ITV british feed with James Allen and Martin Brundle. They have a full crew at the track and you can tell the difference. If you've been in OC chat during an F1 race, I usually post in comments I hear on ITV that you just never get from the Speed crew.

Its just this simple. If you want to look the part of a pro broadcast, you have to spend what it takes to look like a pro broadcast.

TKGAngel
10-23-06, 01:49 PM
My eyebrows went up when DD cited AR1 as a news-source. :irked:

There were some really awkward editing cuts, but the one I noticed most was between McWhiny's championship interview and Nelson's race-winning interview. The segue was not handled well at all.

oddlycalm
10-23-06, 01:53 PM
It just doesn't work. If you're going to do that, might as well just feed the whole broadcast from Aussie Ten.

Canadians are somewhat lucky in the fact that TSN also shows F1 races, but uses the ITV british feed with James Allen and Martin Brundle. Agreed, and both of the above would get my vote.

Varsha, Hobbs and Matchet do a great job at the one race a year they actually attend. CCWS needs to rethink their entire approach to the race broadcast if they want anyone to watch going forward.

oc

RHR_Fan
10-23-06, 02:23 PM

There were some really awkward editing cuts, but the one I noticed most was between McWhiny's championship interview and Nelson's race-winning interview. The segue was not handled well at all.

Agree with the AR1 plug. :irked:

I liked the race director coverage better too. It's one thing watching the race live with DD and RB, but hearing Shaw and Hinch covering it on race director I thought my God, they do such a good, if not better, job!

~Nicole

Racing Truth
10-23-06, 03:05 PM

So, I'm watching the race yesterday with others who know nothing about CC. I hear the AR.1 reference, do a double take ("Did he just say THAT?":eek: ), and start laughing out loud. Everyone is looking at me, but instead of explaining it, I thought "Ah, screw it," and just said "Nevermind.":laugh:

Well, at least we learned something: DD is a MarkC fanboy.:tony: Question: Does that tell us more about Daly or Marxie?

Spicoli
10-23-06, 03:26 PM
s0o, so we have any idea what station we're going to be on TV next year? :saywhat:

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 03:29 PM
Or did MarkC just pay for that plug? Perhaps he simply won a bet with Daly?

Slightly OT, did I hear a Varsha shout out to Off Camber at the end of the Japan GP a few weeks ago?

spinner26
10-23-06, 04:40 PM
If someone posted right now that DD could no longer do race coverage it would not be soon enough.

Insomniac
10-23-06, 04:45 PM
Its the same problem with F1 on Speed. You cannot equal a broadcast on site if you're half a world away watching it on monitors and internet connections.

When you do a full on broadcast, TV has its own spotters around the track, feeding info back into the booth, so that the broadcast team are johnny on the spot with tidbits that help flush out the coverage. I don't believe the CC broadcast has that anymore, regardless of where they are at.

Canadians are somewhat lucky in the fact that TSN also shows F1 races, but uses the ITV british feed with James Allen and Martin Brundle. They have a full crew at the track and you can tell the difference. If you've been in OC chat during an F1 race, I usually post in comments I hear on ITV that you just never get from the Speed crew.

Its just this simple. If you want to look the part of a pro broadcast, you have to spend what it takes to look like a pro broadcast.

You know, the TV coverage is the same for everyone though. So I'm okay with them not being there. The F1 coverage is far better than CCWS.

EDIT--Is there multiple feeds? I thought it was done like the World Cup.

pressdog
10-26-06, 10:29 AM
I watched the Race Director international version this time. I thought they did a pretty good job as well. Shaw tends to just ramble and ramble and talk non-stop for minutes at a time, but at least what he's saying is usually understandable. I like the color Derek adds, but sometimes he gets so wound up you're like, "Dude, take a shot of whiskey or something and simmer down." If you think the CCWS race coverage is bad, try watching an IRL race, which I do (I'm the rare bi-polar fan who watched all races from both series). The ABC/ESPN coverage is horrid. Low camera angles that tell show you nothing. Crazy cameras on parts of the course where there is never, ever, ever going to be any passing or crashing, ever. Be thankful for what you have.

trauma1
10-26-06, 11:31 AM
the low carmera angle is to distract from the lack of a crowd in the grandstands:laugh:

JohnHKart
10-26-06, 12:50 PM
Can someone tell me why is the picture from Surfers always so blurry? It's been like this since the start of the race 15 years ago. F1 broadcasts are always clear easily viewable footage from all over the world, yet Surfers is constantly a poor blurry image in comparison. I don't get it. It's the same story every year.

John

emjaya
10-26-06, 05:25 PM
I must say that the race coverage from Surfers by the Australian network Ten was better than what we usually get from CCWS.

:)

grungex
10-26-06, 06:25 PM
Can someone tell me why is the picture from Surfers always so blurry?
Someone suggested that they maybe doing a PAL-to-NTSC format conversion from the Australian broadcast feed, resulting in a loss of quality.

cameraman
10-26-06, 06:30 PM
They had to do the PAL to NTSC conversion but all non-North American F1 race broadcasts go through the same conversion process and they are fine. The conversion shouldn't have caused the washed out look of the broadcast.

grungex
10-26-06, 06:50 PM
Then maybe the Aussie feed is crap. :) I've noticed most ABC sports shows have a similar "quality".

TravelGal
10-26-06, 08:36 PM
All I know is that I commented to TravelGuy that there was a lot of great racing going on, too bad we weren't seeing it.

Can't wait to read your blog Pressdog!

Insomniac
10-26-06, 08:57 PM
All I know is that I commented to TravelGuy that there was a lot of great racing going on, too bad we weren't seeing it.

Can't wait to read your blog Pressdog!

It's up at http://pressdog.blogspot.com/2006/10/notes-from-speed-broadcast-of-champ-car.html

RHR_Fan
10-26-06, 08:58 PM
Would it be better to:

a) Get rid of Daly completely and find yet, another, guy
b) Have Jon and Derek switch places for good

~Nicole

racer2c
10-26-06, 09:13 PM
Would it be better to:

a) Get rid of Daly completely and find yet, another, guy
b) Have Jon and Derek switch places for good

~Nicole

I think they just need three in the booth calling the race. Two just puts the burden of DD to carry the show and he's too annoying to so that.

pressdog
10-27-06, 12:24 PM
I think they just need three in the booth calling the race. Two just puts the burden of DD to carry the show and he's too annoying to so that.
I think Derek gets so wound up he would just keep talking no matter how many were in the booth. Then he starts in with the Telestrator and things get really nutty. I'm sick enough to find it entertaining.

Off Camber
10-27-06, 12:33 PM
Swap Jon and Derick. Derick adds color, let him do it in small doses from the pits.

oddlycalm
10-27-06, 02:03 PM
I think Derek gets so wound up he would just keep talking no matter how many were in the booth. Then he starts in with the Telestrator and things get really nutty. I'm sick enough to find it entertaining. In that case, I suggest you maintain a secure grip on your hollyhocks laddy... :D

oc

JohnHKart
10-28-06, 08:36 PM
They had to do the PAL to NTSC conversion but all non-North American F1 race broadcasts go through the same conversion process and they are fine. The conversion shouldn't have caused the washed out look of the broadcast.

And every Surfers has been like this.

John