PDA

View Full Version : car problems

Ankf00
10-22-06, 03:32 PM
stupid v dub :mad:

and naturally, this would happen on a sunday when everyone's closed...

I've had to replace a starter on a subaru years ago, but it didn't sound like this, I turn the key, there's a loud rapid-fire machine gun-like switching noise as if something's f'ed up in the starter. the warning lights on the dash, and the blinkers, all start blinking.

I know the MkIV golf/jettas are supposed to have craptastic electrical systems, what's weird is that if I only turn the key 1/2 way or so, at the point where the engine would usually begin turning, the horn starts honking as it does when you lock the car, a short "beep"

Sean O'Gorman
10-22-06, 03:39 PM
My guess is your battery is dead.

mapguy
10-22-06, 03:41 PM
My guess is your battery is dead.

That would explain why the dash lights come on and the horn honks. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
10-22-06, 03:49 PM
By dead, I mean not enough power to start the car. He put his phone to the engine bay and it made the clicking sound that I was so familiar with when I used to valet cars.

I'll bet my posting priveliges for the next month that's what it is.

Spicoli
10-22-06, 04:33 PM
By dead, I mean not enough power to start the car. He put his phone to the engine bay and it made the clicking sound that I was so familiar with when I used to valet cars.

:D

cool!

Ankf00
10-22-06, 05:03 PM
as long as the cowboys lose tomorrow, everything will be fine.

devilmaster
10-22-06, 05:16 PM
do the lights dim when you try and start it? does it look like its losing power?

perhaps the contacts need to be cleaned. that can also cause what you're seeing

Ankf00
10-22-06, 06:39 PM
contacts are as clean as can be short of being brand new, car's a few months short of 2 years

hooked the battery up to a 2 yo G35, engine off, clean terminals, still won't start. + dead bat -> + good bat -> -good bat -> ground .

but while the jumper cables were hooked up & I tried to start the car, it did the whole dead battery starting routine, like if Bill Parcells or Ken Hitchcock trying to bench his bodyweight. that drained noise that builds up, the dash lights look drained, then finally you hear that overtaxed motor trying to turn

then I start the G35 engine, let it run 2-4 mins, then turn the key & it's back to the super clicker routine

then I kill the G35 engine, try the VW key a few times. it'll alternate between machine gun paced clicking & the dead battery start routine during a single turn of the key, I'd turn it off after 5-8 seconds... rest it another minute or so, then try again, same thing again w/ it alternating between the 2 different characteristics

Cam
10-22-06, 08:53 PM
f'n Germans! ;)

grungex
10-22-06, 09:02 PM
Time to unpimp your auto.

Seriously though, it still sounds like a battery problem.

Methanolandbrats
10-22-06, 09:12 PM
Bentley Publishing + voltmeter can solve your problem :thumbup:

dando
10-22-06, 09:48 PM
See? We told you those things are gay. :p :gomer: Definitely sounds electrical.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-22-06, 09:51 PM
See? We told you those things are gay. :p :gomer: Definitely sounds electrical.

-Kevin

I spend as much on going out per month as I do the car note :p

Bentley Publishing + voltmeter

multimeter shows 12V :\

oh well, this is what extended warranties are for.

Wheel-Nut
10-23-06, 10:04 AM
Time to sell it, get you a 'yota.

B3RACER1a
10-23-06, 10:41 AM
What does it read under a load (trying to start the car)? Any battery will read 12v if its just sitting there. If it has a bad section in it, it can still read full voltage, but as soon as it has any load, it'll drop to nothing. :tony:

Give it a shot!

racer2c
10-23-06, 11:10 AM
Ank - start with the least expensive possible solution first. Drop a new battery in it and see what happens. If it is a wiring gremlin then you'll know how to proceed.

Coincidentally, this past Saturday my daughter vacuumed out my truck and left the key in the on position while listening to the radio and when I tried to start it on Sunday it made the "machine gun" sound you mentioned which is the starter gear not engaging fully due to lack of juice. I have one of those portable starter packs and used it to fire it right back up. NOTE: newer cars should not be jumped from car to car due to the risk of frying your computer. Get a jump booster. I've never experienced horns beeping and lights flashing due to a weakened battery. But then again I haven't had a VW since '86.

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 11:15 AM
You might try swapping the battery for the one in the G35.

I troubleshot a similar problem (weird but not exactly the same symptoms) in a Dakota last month and it turned out the battery had a short in it.

I doubt you would would be showing 12V with a short, but that swap will tell you if the problem is in the battery or the system.

But don't mess around with too much more, you might void your extended warranty.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 11:31 AM
thanks guys, but I just said F it and called the dealer for a tow, would've swapped batteries today, but there were already a couple of other things I need the dealer to fix up

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 11:37 AM
Let us know how it turns out. Always need an answer to a Puzzler

Spicoli
10-23-06, 12:58 PM
thanks guys, but I just said F it and called the dealer for a tow, would've swapped batteries today, but there were already a couple of other things I need the dealer to fix up

Dealer. :laugh:

Ank = hosed.

devilmaster
10-23-06, 01:05 PM
Let us know how it turns out. Always need an answer to a Puzzler

Plus there's a bet on the line with this one..... :D

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 01:12 PM
Plus there's a bet on the line with this one..... :D

Agreed. And for the record, dead battery does not = shorted battery.

Also, for the record SeanO already lost. A dead battery will jump. It might not hold a charge, but it will jump.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 01:13 PM
Dealer. :laugh:

Ank = hosed.

warranty. :gomer:

Ank pays $0.00

ferrarigod
10-23-06, 01:34 PM
warranty. :gomer:

Ank pays $0.00

Spic = Pwn3d. :laugh:

devilmaster
10-23-06, 01:39 PM
Spic = Pwn3d. :laugh:

Nope. Even though Ank doesn't pay, he's still inconvienienced(?), as per the grumbling and mad emotions on the first post. :D

Ankf00
10-23-06, 01:54 PM
Nope. Even though Ank doesn't pay, he's still inconvienienced(?), as per the grumbling and mad emotions on the first post. :D

true, but that wasn't spickly's point, still pwn3d. :p He'll be double-pwn3d when I step foot on the slopes this Saturday as well :D

Ank - 2
v dub sucking - 1 :flame:
Spickly - 0

Spicoli
10-23-06, 02:30 PM

:rofl:

Spickly = F-150 FX4

Ank-a-billy = Vbubber. :gomer:

spickly = +1
ankerbilly = -1

:yuck:

Ankf00
10-23-06, 02:52 PM
:rofl:

Spickly = F-150 FX4

sure thing, Cleetus :gomer:

Spicoli
10-23-06, 03:27 PM
at least i have a girlfriend. :p

racer2c
10-23-06, 03:44 PM

Is this the point where you guys embrace? :yuck:

Wheel-Nut
10-23-06, 04:03 PM
Sounds like they are setting up a mountain top rendzvous and "couples ski" down the hill!! :laugh:

Ankf00
10-23-06, 04:24 PM

is the wife aware? :gossip:

Turn7
10-23-06, 04:41 PM

equals, I'm a cartard and don't have a clue how to release the hood let alone try and understand the things these guys suggested.

cameraman
10-23-06, 04:57 PM
He'll be double-pwn3d when I step foot on the slopes this Saturday as well :D

I just gotta know, how does hiking your ass up some hill to ski some two week old rock strewn slush count as double-pwn3ing anybody?

Spicoli
10-23-06, 07:50 PM
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64793 - reference.:D

I dunno. sure looks like CO is goin off right now.:gomer:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/iskibc/sleds.jpg

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l19/iskibc/iskibc3.jpg

credits to those who slay.

Ankf00
10-23-06, 08:51 PM
utard == pwn3d.

this thread shall henceforth be recorded in lore as "thread of pwnage" :D

btw, if it's nothing but rock strewn slush, well, then it looks like I'm going freeriding on them slopes now don't it?

http://www.ridetheshore.com/images/photo_3.jpg

:cool:

cameraman
10-23-06, 09:04 PM
dunno. sure looks like CO is goin off right now.:gomer:

Well it was sunny and 50-60 today and it will be the same for the rest of the week. You would be amazed how fast it turns to concrete this time of year.

The morning after the storm >>>>>>>>>> the week after the storm.

Twisty Bits
10-23-06, 09:10 PM
Let's get back to the fact that you have a loose connection at your starter. That's right, the red wire. Do you have a remote car starter?

Spicoli
10-23-06, 09:29 PM
Let's get back to the fact that you have a loose connection at your starter. That's right, the red wire. Do you have a remote car starter?

that may work in Canader, but I doubt it does in Tex-ard or U-tard.:eek:

Get back ta hatin!:thumbup:

cart7
10-24-06, 07:44 AM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7296/vw0zi.jpg

Spicoli
10-24-06, 07:46 AM
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/7296/vw0zi.jpg

You know that's why he bought the car anyway, riiiight?:yuck:

Ankf00
10-24-06, 09:32 AM
http://www.condomclub.com/Merchant2/graphics/Products/tn_anal_ese.gif

devilmaster
10-24-06, 12:26 PM
So is SeanO banned? Whats the diagnosis DocAnk?

Joelski
10-24-06, 02:12 PM
You are the proud owner of a blown fuse, or a bad relay in the power distibution block. That's where my nickle goes.

Turn7
10-24-06, 06:14 PM
I going with the theory that it had a Sony battery in it.

Joelski
10-24-06, 07:20 PM
I'll bet a dime it isn't the battery.

Joelski
10-26-06, 11:55 AM
So... What was the deficklety?

Aside the fact it's a VW, that is....

Ankf00
10-26-06, 12:13 PM

2 grounding points had corroded and come lose, f'ed up the electrical system

does it qualify for banishment? I'm uncertain, but vote "yes." :D

they tightened up whatever bolt was starting to back out causing rattling in the right rear suspension/wheel assy too, so all in all, not a totally worthless trip to the dealer.

Sean O'Gorman
10-26-06, 12:25 PM
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Wheel-Nut
10-26-06, 12:56 PM
I vote to ban both of them . . .Sean just because and Ank for not lying.

Ankf00
10-26-06, 01:06 PM

:confused:

G.
10-26-06, 01:27 PM
:rofl: :laugh:

Andrew Longman
10-26-06, 02:13 PM
Bad grounding points does not equal a dead battery. You could hook the car to Three Mile Island and it will not start without a ground.

So SeanO was wrong.

Gene, tell him what he's won...:D

Twisty Bits
10-26-06, 11:01 PM
I was close. What do I win?

racer2c
10-26-06, 11:02 PM
I was close. What do I win?

A date with Sean O. :)

Ankf00
10-26-06, 11:09 PM
it was a defective battery, notice the time stamp of my edit vs. the time stamp for wheel-nut's post ;)

ChampcarShark
10-27-06, 11:01 AM

Nope, just let them hug and make up.

Al Czervik
10-27-06, 02:07 PM
A little late to the party, but...

A Vee Dub with an electrical problem? Who'd a thunk it. (ex Corrado owner)