PDA

View Full Version : Antivirus/Spyware/Utilities type software

Napoleon
10-22-06, 08:16 AM
I would like a little advice on what people here consider the best of that type of software. I am thinking of replacing what I have been using.

Gangrel
10-22-06, 08:53 AM
Firewall - disable Windows Firewall, get ZoneAlarm.

Spyware - SpyBot S&D. (Not to be confused with Spyware Bot, which is a ripoff of SpyBot, and is in and of itself spyware.)

Antivirus - AVG Antivirus.

All freeware, all very good stuff.

Insomniac
10-22-06, 09:34 AM
I don't know what it is about my PC, but ZA + NAV + Fast Downloads = BSoD. I only miss ZA because it tells me what's going out. Having a H/W firewall works quite well.

I know you said software, but I'd recommend a hardware firewall/router if you have broadband internet.

Napoleon
10-22-06, 10:39 AM
I know you said software, but I'd recommend a hardware firewall/router if you have broadband internet.

What is that? I do have broadband and I use a wireless system for my desktop (it was too difficult to get the wiring to my home office so I just went wireless).

Cam
10-22-06, 10:41 AM
What is that? I do have broadband and I use a wireless system for my desktop (it was too difficult to get the wiring to my home office so I just went wireless).

Then you have a hardware firewall. What make/model?

Napoleon
10-22-06, 10:45 AM
Lynksys - WRT54GS

Cam
10-22-06, 10:53 AM
Lynksys - WRT54GS

Beautiful. You are sitting behind a Linux firewall... No need for a software firewall. Everything is stopped at the router. :thumbup: One less piece of bloatware chewing up precious RAM! :)

grungex
10-22-06, 11:51 AM
I don't know what it is about my PC, but ZA + NAV + Fast Downloads = BSoD. I only miss ZA because it tells me what's going out. Having a H/W firewall works quite well.
Get rid of Norton. I swear my Win2K machine is twice as fast now that I eradicated every bit of their software. I switched to AVG. I also use ZA behind a Linksys router, because I like to keep programs from phoning home behind my back.

CART License
10-22-06, 01:22 PM
Windows Live OneCare has been good to me.All-in-One Protection and Maintenance helps protect your computer, and its automated optimization features keep your PC running at its speediest. OneCare even regularly backs up your important files. protection and maintenance for up to 3 PCs for $49.95a year.

You can try Windows Live OneCare free for 90 days to see how easy caring for your computer can be.

Link (http://www.windowsonecare.com/)

ChampcarShark
10-23-06, 01:40 PM
Firewall - disable Windows Firewall, get ZoneAlarm.

Spyware - SpyBot S&D. (Not to be confused with Spyware Bot, which is a ripoff of SpyBot, and is in and of itself spyware.)

Antivirus - AVG Antivirus.

All freeware, all very good stuff.

This configuration works for my two pcs and laptop at home too.

At work, well I am just a dumb user sitting at my office looking at my pc

Insomniac
10-23-06, 05:16 PM
Get rid of Norton. I swear my Win2K machine is twice as fast now that I eradicated every bit of their software. I switched to AVG. I also use ZA behind a Linksys router, because I like to keep programs from phoning home behind my back.

Maybe I'll put that on my laptop once the subscription expires. I have Sygate agent on that as a software firewall for work. My current machine, I don't like to change it when it's working fine. I'm at the point where since I use a computer all day, I hate fiddling with my machine later. I just want it to work.