PDA

View Full Version : What the fuhell!?

spinner26
10-21-06, 04:33 PM
SAO PAULO, Brazil -- Four members of the Toyota Formula One team were ambushed by gunmen near the Interlagos track, but no one was injured.

Toyota spokeswoman Fernanda Villas-Boas said Saturday about 20 teenagers stopped her group and other cars as they left the circuit a day earlier.

"Some people tried to escape and they started shooting," she said. "We lowered our heads and were able to flee. Thankfully, nothing more serious happened."

Team drivers Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli were not there. Armed robberies are not uncommon in Sao Paulo, a city of more than 12 million.

The ambush occurred about 2 miles from the track on the main road used by teams and drivers to gain access the circuit.

"One of them pointed the gun to my head and tried breaking the window of the car with his foot," Villas-Boas said. "No one was hurt, but everybody was really upset afterward."

"We have to make it clear this was not related to the Brazilian Grand Prix," she added. "They didn't know we were with Toyota."

The Brazilian GP is Sunday, with Fernando Alonso of Renault closing in on the title. Alonso leads seven-time champion Michael Schumacher of Ferrari by 10 points and can win his second consecutive championship by finishing eighth or better. Schumacher must win the race and hope Alonso fails to earn points.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2633878:shakehead

The Doctor
10-21-06, 06:00 PM
Not the first time something like this has happened... heck, stuff used to get stolen out of the track all the time, and people are routinely robbed and assaulted in the area. Sao Paulo can be rough, but it's no worse than some other big cities in the world.

Methanolandbrats
10-21-06, 07:51 PM
It is somewhat different than Monte Carlo. Think of the track as a fortress surrounded by starving people living in cardboard boxes with tin roofs..............no, I'm not exagerating.

Elmo T
10-21-06, 08:57 PM
"We have to make it clear this was not related to the Brazilian Grand Prix," she added. "They didn't know we were with Toyota."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?seriesId=6&id=2633878:shakehead

Is that suppose to make everyone feel better or worse?

Insomniac
10-21-06, 10:43 PM
I'm told Sao Paulo is not a safe place. When my Dad goes on business there, his colleague picks him up and drops him off at his hotel. And he doesn't venture far from it (just the fruit market right outside).

stroker
10-22-06, 12:59 AM
Toyota doesn't provide decent security? I'd think they could afford security adequate to drive their team repeatedly through downtown Tehran with Stars of David on the sides of the trucks...

Dr. Corkski
10-22-06, 06:31 PM
Toyota must have parked their cars early today to slip out of the track quickly and avoid getting mugged.

coolhand
10-22-06, 07:58 PM
I'm told Sao Paulo is not a safe place. When my Dad goes on business there, his colleague picks him up and drops him off at his hotel. And he doesn't venture far from it (just the fruit market right outside).

Rio is not any better. Many buildings with tall walls and gunmen protecting them.

Easy
10-23-06, 03:14 PM
A couple years ago in SP, Minardi's team manager was robbed at gunpoint just after withdrawing the entire team's per diem for the day.

trauma1
10-23-06, 03:16 PM
to bad white wasn;t with them

NismoZ
10-23-06, 04:26 PM
Hmmm...didn't Castro have Fangio kidnapped back in '57 or 8? That was interesting.

racer2c
10-23-06, 04:40 PM
Hmmm...didn't Castro have Fangio kidnapped back in '57 or 8? That was interesting.

IRC it was a band of wanna-be's that were trying to impress Castro. I always thought it would make a cool period piece movie. If I knew how to write a screen play I would. Don't steal my idea! *copy right*