PDA

View Full Version : IE 7 virus released into the wild!

dando
10-18-06, 09:16 PM
:gomer:

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+hopes+7+is+lucky+number+for+IE/2100-1032_3-6127277.html?tag=nefd.lede

:saywhat:

-Kevin

Cam
10-18-06, 09:42 PM
Just say no. Use the 'fox.

dando
10-18-06, 09:45 PM
Just say no. Use the 'fox.

Unfortunately, 1.5.x has become a memory hog on my XP and Win2K machines @ home and work. The number of crashes I experience has grown exponentially with FF 1.5. :( :shakehead :saywhat: Plus, in my line of work, we hafta test what users are using, so IE is a necessary evil for me (sooner or later). :\

-Kevin

coolhand
10-18-06, 10:53 PM
took forever to Download and set up,

Finally got it running and I am impressed. It is now slimmed down like 'fox , has tabs, search bar in right upper coner and it lauches faster then 'fox.

If it proves to be faster and not hang up like 'fox i might switch back.

but it does not have the right clikc shortcut to compy picture location, and not any of the same options meu's i am used too.

nrc
10-19-06, 03:21 AM
Unfortunately, 1.5.x has become a memory hog on my XP and Win2K machines @ home and work.
A lot of times it's actually an extension that is eating up memory. Have you tried unloading them?

Cam
10-19-06, 07:11 AM
and it lauches faster then 'fox.

That's coz it's part of the freakin' O/S! The bulk of it loads at bootup! :shakehead

Insomniac
10-19-06, 08:20 AM
A lot of times it's actually an extension that is eating up memory. Have you tried unloading them?

I've run Firefox in safe mode, it still leaks like crazy. It's a shame PCs aren't like game consoles. Be nice if people learned to optimize software instead of bloating it as hardware gets faster. If anyone uses uTorrent, you know what I mean.

racer2c
10-19-06, 09:29 AM
That's coz it's part of the freakin' O/S! The bulk of it loads at bootup! :shakehead

Well, it is their OS.;)

WickerBill
10-19-06, 09:42 AM
Don't say that! Cam doesn't believe Microsoft has the right to exist, much less make their browser load faster by leveraging their OS. Heaven forbid... the audacity!

Cam
10-19-06, 10:12 AM
Got that right! :D

Cam
10-19-06, 10:37 AM
BWAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!! It's only been released for a few hours and already there is a security hole (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/) found. :rofl:

dando
10-19-06, 10:49 AM

I'm actually just running the Google toolbar and a weather extension on my machines. Same as I have been since installing 1.0. I'm not the only one noticing it. A number of peeps in the office have been seeing it, too. My sys tools show randon spikes in CPU and memory, or FF either becomes useless or crashes. :\

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-19-06, 12:14 PM
BWAHAHAAHAHAHAAHA!!!! It's only been released for a few hours and already there is a security hole (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/10/19/ie7_first_bug/) found. :rofl:

Meh. The bug has been there and never fixed since IE6. Not really a new bug. They tested an old bug and it was no doubt in the beta versions of IE7. They just want their name out there. Also, I'm not sure how negligible the IE7 user base is. The logs I maintain have IE7 (7%) at about half the share of Firefox (15%) in September. And that was just beta.

dando
10-19-06, 12:23 PM
Also, I'm not sure how negligible the IE7 user base is. The logs I maintain have IE7 (7%) at about half the share of Firefox (15%) in September. And that was just beta.

Yup, and once they turn on auto update IE 7 will be in the 20% range overnight.

-Kevin

Insomniac
10-19-06, 01:19 PM
Yup, and once they turn on auto update IE 7 will be in the 20% range overnight.

-Kevin

They usually don't force that stuff down through auto-update, do they? I recall things like IE and WMP aren't forced down. For the longest time I kept running WMP 6.4 (until I signed up for Yahoo! Music).

dando
10-19-06, 01:26 PM
They usually don't force that stuff down through auto-update, do they? I recall things like IE and WMP aren't forced down. For the longest time I kept running WMP 6.4 (until I signed up for Yahoo! Music).

Not usually, but they are in this case:

Those who have been beta testing IE7 will begin receiving the final version via automatic updates this week. Microsoft plans to push down IE7 via automatic update to IE6 users starting next month, though they will get to decide whether they want to install it.

Microsoft has also offered a tool for businesses that lets them indefinitely block users from getting automatically updated to IE7. Schare declined to say how many businesses have downloaded the tool.

Although Microsoft will begin making the browser available through Automatic Update next month, it could take many more weeks to get the application to all PCs in the United States. The software maker is staggering the release, in part to make sure it can handle the support calls. It will make free phone support available, as it has done since the Beta 2 version of IE 7 was introduced in April.

(same URL as previosuly posted)

:saywhat:

-Kevin

dando
10-26-06, 12:20 PM
Gotta love MSFT:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/84-web-developers-microsoft-has-no-idea-whats-going-on

Welcome to my world. :( :saywhat:

-Kevin

racer2c
10-26-06, 01:51 PM
Gotta love MSFT:

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/84-web-developers-microsoft-has-no-idea-whats-going-on

-Kevin

I stopped reading after the first line. There's no such thing as 'MAC shops'.:shakehead

;)

Insomniac
10-26-06, 05:36 PM
Gotta love MSFT:

-Kevin

What's the problem for your world? You mean it's necessary for you to run Windows Vista Beta and IE7 Beta on your Mac for testing web sites? You build web applications and then don't have a box that has an operating system and browser that 80% of the world use? And this is Microsoft's fault? Right. And Apple forcing me to buy a Mac so I can use/test OS X is a much better solution?

Talk about going out of your way to rip on Microsoft. Now their Beta software should be perfect too (when running in a VM on a Mac no less)?

Robstar
10-26-06, 07:26 PM
I've D/L'd & installed Beat 1, Beta 2, Beta 3, RC 1, RC 2, & now finally "IE7"...

Firefox (& Opera) blow this bloated POS away... IMHO...

ChampcarShark
10-27-06, 11:23 AM
FireFox beats ie7 hands down. I will try to block the auto update from my winxp laptop at home.

Here at work I just do not care as long as I can still update my FF software.