July 8: Watkins Glen International, ABC
July 14: Nashville Superspdway, ESPN
July 22: Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course, ABC
Aug. 5: Michigan Int'l Spdway, ESPN2
Aug. 11: Kentucky Spdway, ESPN2
Aug. 26: Infineon Raceway, ESPN
Sept. 2: The Raceway at Belle Isle, ABC
Sept. 9 Chicagoland Spdway, ABC

So, what, two more years and the CART transformation is complete? I have to say, I like their schedule (less gaps). They now have 5 Street/Road Courses.

dando
10-18-06, 01:54 PM
Beat you to it:

http://www.offcamber.net//forums/showthread.php?t=11707

:p

-Kevin

Spicoli
10-18-06, 06:40 PM
Good to see MoNtegi back. :thumbup:

I might make it this year. Anyone else?

RichK
10-18-06, 06:43 PM
Good to see MoNtegi back. :thumbup:

I might make it this year. Anyone else?

It's a racetrack full of Indycar history. Steeped in tradition. It's a Japanese oval like no other! I'm going!!!!!:thumbup:

racer2c
10-18-06, 09:11 PM
I knew it was just a matter of time before they started in with this crap...

“The 2007 schedule is clearly the most diverse schedule in IndyCar Series history and one of the most diverse in motorsports today,” said IRL president Brian Barnhart. “The schedule offers night races, short ovals, superspeedways, street courses and road courses with each track offering its unique personality that should produce exciting racing.”

dando
10-18-06, 09:24 PM

Uh, dude, you forgot the pic that goes with that quote:

http://www.madmustard.com/images/2006/03/Baghdad%20Bob.th.jpg

:tony:

I figger the metamorphosis into C^RT II will be complete when they announce an IPO and a race in Ansan. :D :saywhat:

-Kevin

eiregosod
10-18-06, 09:49 PM
*trumpet fanfare*

the 2007 EARL season kicks off in PRIME TIME,

*loser fanfare*

on espn2

:laugh:

other observations: only 6 races on ABC. I wonder how that contract renegociation is working out for the EARL. 3rd straight year for 6 ABC races.

the last 2 races are on ABC, no doubt those races will receive massive promotion during "le chase". As Wilke keeps saying, "NASCAr's TV ratings are falling", therefore we have nothing to worry about.

mmmm The ABC races are:

Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Iowa, Watkins , Mid ohio, Detroit & Chicagoland.

There is definitly more than usual Honda involvement in Mid Ohio & Detroit. I wonder if Robert Clarke got to choose which of the 6 races got to go on ABC?

eiregosod
10-18-06, 10:56 PM
read the meltdown at :tony:forum. :laugh:

one of the interesting tidbits in that thread is the fact that IMS productions produces the TV feed for Disney. I wonder if the" TV production fees" are included in the wonderful $20m/year IRL tv contract?

cameraman
10-19-06, 02:59 AM
“The 2007 schedule is clearly the most diverse schedule in IndyCar Series history and one of the most diverse in motorsports today,” said IRL president Brian Barnhart. “The schedule offers night races, short ovals, superspeedways, street courses and road courses with each track offering its unique personality that should produce exciting racing.” I don't like where this is going. It sounds like Honda has taken over control of the IRL. Ignoring the "vision politics" the main problem with the IRL for casual race fans has been that the cars have been utter garbage for a decade now. Has Clarke gained enough leverage over FTG to force him to change the IRL into CART powered by Honda? Honda has enough more than enough petty cash laying about to fund such a switch.

What happens when Clarke & friends at Honda decide to build a new IRL car, say a mass produced oval-friendly version of their F1 machine. Then stick an as-high-as-they-can-afford rpm version of a Honda F1 engine in it. Take that CARTv2 schedule and run it with a very, very good spec car instead of crapwagons. That would be serious trouble for CCWS. Beat Champ Car by becoming a spec car version of CART with the Indy 500 on the schedule. Morph instead of merge.

KobySon
10-19-06, 07:04 AM
I don't like where this is going. It sounds like Honda has taken over control of the IRL. Ignoring the "vision politics" the main problem with the IRL for casual race fans has been that the cars have been utter garbage for a decade now. Has Clarke gained enough leverage over FTG to force him to change the IRL into CART powered by Honda? Honda has enough more than enough petty cash laying about to fund such a switch.

What happens when Clarke & friends at Honda decide to build a new IRL car, say a mass produced oval-friendly version of their F1 machine. Then stick an as-high-as-they-can-afford rpm version of a Honda F1 engine in it. Take that CARTv2 schedule and run it with a very, very good spec car instead of crapwagons. That would be serious trouble for CCWS. Beat Champ Car by becoming a spec car version of CART with the Indy 500 on the schedule. Morph instead of merge.

yes, if tony were not a complete dumbarse, coke addict, and had no ego, you may have something to worry about. the former statements being true, I think it more likely that he'll soon enough blow (pun intended) everything.

Insomniac
10-19-06, 08:12 AM
No fair! I had some commentary!

Insomniac
10-19-06, 08:12 AM
So, what, two more years and the CART transformation is complete? I have to say, I like their schedule (less gaps). They now have 5 Street/Road Courses.

pchall
10-19-06, 10:38 AM
MoNtegi

:rofl: Paul Page earned my "Most Stupid Announcer" life time award for that one -- every year he said it!

pchall
10-19-06, 10:46 AM
No fair! I had some commentary!

Wohaaa! Wohaaa! Wohaaa! Three wide!

That kind of commentary? :tony:

eiregosod
10-19-06, 11:40 AM

that would be a nightmare scenario.

one can only hope that Honda intra-politics would make Clarke too proud to suggest such an idea with FTG & to his bosses in japan.

dando
10-19-06, 11:50 AM
I don't like where this is going. It sounds like Honda has taken over control of the IRL. Ignoring the "vision politics" the main problem with the IRL for casual race fans has been that the cars have been utter garbage for a decade now. Has Clarke gained enough leverage over FTG to force him to change the IRL into CART powered by Honda? Honda has enough more than enough petty cash laying about to fund such a switch.

But what's to be gained by this? The lack of eyeballs watching just doesn't justify the investment. My take is that if fHonda is pushing this agenda behind the scenes, the hope is for a shotgun wedding. Time will tell...

-Kevin

Indy
10-22-06, 08:42 PM

There are ten good events on this schedule. You are right, the IRL is CART, except they suck. They are a sucky CART. If they ever become an exciting CART, then what is the point of a street series sort of like the real thing? I hope someone (on our side) is thinking seriously about this, because if anyone ever succeeds in pulling Anton's head out of his ass, CC will be finished.

DagoFast
10-22-06, 10:11 PM

There are ten good events on this schedule. You are right, the IRL is CART, except they suck. They are a sucky CART. If they ever become an exciting CART, then what is the point of a street series sort of like the real thing? I hope someone (on our side) is thinking seriously about this, because if anyone ever succeeds in pulling Anton's head out of his ass, CC will be finished.

You guys are giving toeknee way to much credit here. He has the innate ability to even screw up things no one thought were possible. You know, like the 500.

Your fears are valid though, because my spidey-sense tells me Anton is no longer in charge of his little playtoy. I think there is a new captain on board and he looks an awful lot like the same one that lil toeknee was skeered of ten years ago.

Standby for Tantrum II. (can I copyright that name? ;-)

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 10:08 AM
You guys are giving toeknee way to much credit here. He has the innate ability to even screw up things no one thought were possible. You know, like the 500.

Your fears are valid though, because my spidey-sense tells me Anton is no longer in charge of his little playtoy. I think there is a new captain on board and he looks an awful lot like the same one that lil toeknee was skeered of ten years ago.

It does seem Honda and Penske are running the show now, but I sense that TG somehow thinks its all his idea. Besides, what's he going to do about it?

At this point Penske seems committed to trying to recreate what he saw work in the IRL, including using Honda money to fund it all. The question is how long will Honda want to fund that mess. How committed are they? As the last manufacturer standing they are a bit stuck if they don't want to be known as the company that finally killed off "Indycar racing and the I500 as we knew it"

Elmo T
10-23-06, 03:46 PM
The question is how long will Honda want to fund that mess. How committed are they? As the last manufacturer standing they are a bit stuck if they don't want to be known as the company that finally killed off "Indycar racing and the I500 as we knew it"

Does Honda really want full and ultimate control? If so, why didn't they make an offer when CART was on the block? The Honda-Car Series powered by Honda races this weekend at the Honda Motorspeedway in the Honda 300 sponsored by Honda?

Honda may have gotten what they wished for in their relationship with TG - maybe something they now regret.

cameraman
10-23-06, 04:00 PM
why didn't they make an offer when CART was on the block? Because nobody expected Champ Car to survive.

Ooops:rolleyes:

Andrew Longman
10-23-06, 05:35 PM
Honda may have gotten what they wished for in their relationship with TG - maybe something they now regret.

Me thinks so. I think in the grander scheme the only thing saving its support of the IRL is it is not costing them that much money compared to what they have as a company and what else they spend on motorsport. They can wait and see for a while

EDwardo
10-23-06, 08:30 PM
From the official .1RL site:
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=7697

The Honda Indy Grand Prix of St. Petersburg....Exciting races along the scenic streets hard by Tampa Bay, a weekend party atmosphere.....

Gomers used to have a problem with the "weekend street parties" of Champcar.
The Cheap Copy of Champcar .1RL vision continues.........

:tony:

Indy
10-23-06, 11:13 PM

Consider it copyrighted.

I assume TG is still in charge, and my evidence of such is that the IRL is still doing the same stupid things which have not produced results before.

pchall
10-24-06, 07:37 AM
It does seem Honda and Penske are running the show now, but I sense that TG somehow thinks its all his idea. Besides, what's he going to do about it?

Tony George, "Er, uhm, uhm, er... Roger, where's page four?"