PDA

View Full Version : Credit Cards and mileage deals

Spicoli
10-16-06, 12:12 PM
Does anyone have a *good* experience with a credit card company that offers miles? I charge the sh!!t out of my card every month and never get squat. Everything i read about Capital One says stay away. The people that work at my bank are stupid, so I can;t go there.....anyone?

I just want some free air for my 15-20k a year i charge! fackers!:flame: :irked:

Or some hookers, booze and blow! :D

ferrarigod
10-16-06, 12:15 PM
American Express Blue card.

You get 12,500 miles for signing up, I think 2 miles for every dollar spent for 6 months, and then 1 mile per dollar there after.

Everyone but me has one in the family, but once I get enough of a credit history I'm getting that next.

The miles are with Delta, or anyone in the Skyteam. Since I already have a crap ton of miles, it will help.

With the bonus and 2 for 1 in the beginning by the end of the first year you should easily be able to get at least 2 free domestic or 1 free international ticket.

RichK
10-16-06, 12:16 PM
The Citi American card works pretty well for me, although I spend my miles on trips to Indiana! :gomer:

oddlycalm
10-16-06, 12:29 PM
TravelGal probably has the broadest view of these programs. Like Rich I used the Citi AAdvantage card. The main problem was always avoiding the blackout dates when using the accumulated mileage, but it did get used to fly parents and friends mostly. Last year I gifted 250,000 miles to our daughter and her significant other for a trip to Spain and Portugal all in First Class. As much flying as I've done the last thing I want to do for vacation was get on a damn plane. Give me a road trip in the convertible and I'm there.

oc

JoeBob
10-16-06, 12:49 PM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/

There's an entire set of boards dedicated to credit cards that earn rewards/miles. Or, if you want miles on a specific airline, check that airline's board.

extramundane
10-16-06, 01:39 PM
Everything i read about Capital One says stay away.

I used to work for 'em. Stay far, far away.

Insomniac
10-16-06, 02:16 PM
I used to work for 'em. Stay far, far away.

I don't think there is such a thing as a good credit card company. :)

extramundane
10-16-06, 02:54 PM
I don't think there is such a thing as a good credit card company. :)

Yeah, but ignorance is bliss. Having seen what goes on inside scared the bejeezus out of me. :eek:

theunions
10-16-06, 02:59 PM
Yeah, but ignorance is bliss. Having seen what goes on inside scared the bejeezus out of me. :eek:

Please tell me David Spade doesn't actually work at CapitalOne and constantly behaves like an obnoxious twit. ;)

Insomniac
10-16-06, 03:33 PM

I think the most important thing is pay it in full every month if you can or never be late on a payment. If you are, that's it. Not only will your they CC you missed a payment on kill you, but all the rest will see if there is any way they can too.

extramundane
10-16-06, 06:50 PM
Please tell me David Spade doesn't actually work at CapitalOne and constantly behaves like an obnoxious twit. ;)

He did, but he was outsourced.

I think the most important thing is pay it in full every month if you can or never be late on a payment. If you are, that's it. Not only will your they CC you missed a payment on kill you, but all the rest will see if there is any way they can too.

Captial One was doing some shady stuff that would get you even if you did pay on time, every time. Actively seeking ways to raise interest rates and payoff penalties were the two that jumped out at me. I was there on contract and I'll be the first to admit my billing rate was WAY too high for the brainless work I was doing, so I guess that money's gotta come from somewhere.

The others probably do the same, but out of sight, out of mind and all...

Anal Ventor
10-17-06, 10:32 PM
gotta go AMEX ..got one for business and a personal... they link together and are legit

chop456
10-18-06, 06:27 AM
gotta go AMEX ..got one for business and a personal... they link together and are legit

Hey stranger! How about charging a trip to Central Florida this coming March? :D

TravelGal
10-18-06, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the vote of confidence but when it comes to credit cards, I'm a consumer, just like the rest of you. I've had an American Airlines mastercard for ages but it galls me to pay something like $85 a year for it. I keep it because I've got about 300,000 miles on AA (a reall no-no, BTW) and I like adding to them.

I decided to go with something else more general so signed up for the dreaded Capital One. So far, no problems but not enough points to cash in yet either.

I've liked the selections on my Discover. Every so many points, you can cash it in for up to double what you earned or, you can just use the cashback to pay the bill. With my American Express Business Optima, I cash it in every 5,000 points and get $50 off at Flemings Steak house. Yummers.

I've recently signed up for points.com Seems like a way to amalgamate all those little bits of mileage you get, 7,569 on one and 4,311 on another airline and make them do something fo you. Probably is but I have not had time to look at it and make it work for me.

Best thing overall is to find an airline you figure you'll use and wait until they have an offer that gives you a free ticket if you sign up for THEIR credit card. I did that with USAirways. I'll use it to see my mom in Tampa. May never use the card much but I pay $65 for the first year and get a free ticket. Seems reasonable. :D

Dirty Sanchez
10-18-06, 06:01 PM
three united mileage plus visas in my household (2 personal and 1 business account). one of the personal accounts has an annual fee of ~$70 (I forget) and earns one mile for every dollar spent. the other personal account has no annual fee and earns one mile for every two dollars spent. the business account has an annual fee and earns one mile for every dollar spent... but I get two miles for every dollar spent when purchasing a united flight.

the other thing that varies is what they give you upon registration. the best deal going is a free companion ticket (got that on all three accounts)... but the usual deal is 10,000 miles.

if you (or anyone) decides to go with a united mileage plus account, let me know and I'll give you my mileage plus number. I think we both get a companion ticket for the referral.

TravelGal
10-18-06, 06:07 PM
Let's also bear in mind that miles are generally considered to be worth 2 cents each. Therefore you're getting a rebate of 2 per cent. If a card like Discover gives you 3 percent, you're better off IN GENERAL with that.

Where you do well is when the fares shoot up and you can get a ticket $500 or more with mileage. Or, you just don't have the coin to lay out for a ticket. It's like having money in the bank. And, of course, some international flights for 40,000 miles ($800) are a real steal.

Spicoli
10-18-06, 06:45 PM
Interesting stuff.

[jong]

so how do you get these miles anyway? T-Gal says you get 2 miles for every dollar? So say I want a ticket that costs $300....how many miles do i have to have, and how many $$ do i have to spend to get those miles?

confused in Indy

[/jong :gomer: ]

All my flyin is for fun.

dando
10-18-06, 09:29 PM
Interesting stuff.

[jong]

so how do you get these miles anyway? T-Gal says you get 2 miles for every dollar? So say I want a ticket that costs $300....how many miles do i have to have, and how many $$ do i have to spend to get those miles?

confused in Indy

[/jong :gomer: ]

All my flyin is for fun.

Depends on where and how you wanna fly, Spickly. Here's an example awards chart from UA:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,59,00.html

-Kevin

Spicoli
10-18-06, 10:02 PM
Depends on where and how you wanna fly, Spickly. Here's an example awards chart from UA:

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,59,00.html

-Kevin

OK, so 50k miles gets me a cheapie ticket to somewhere in the US.

Whaddya gitsta spend to get 50k miles? :confused: :confused:

[stoopid spicoli]

dando
10-18-06, 10:14 PM
OK, so 50k miles gets me a cheapie ticket to somewhere in the US.

Whaddya gitsta spend to get 50k miles? :confused: :confused:

[stoopid spicoli]

You been living too close to Mordor for too long. It's beginning to affect yer neurons....or maybe it's the beer. :gomer:

That depends on the plan you are in, and the intro miles that are awarded, etc. So say you get 10K miles to join, and maybe 2 miles for every $$$ spent, ya would need to $pend like $20K to get the miles for a domestic economy ticket. For a $1/mile plan, it would be like $40K. :eek: Like TravGal mentioned, miles are generally ~$.02/per mile cash equivalent, so $40K would be like $800.

-Kevin

grungex
10-18-06, 10:22 PM
Actually, 25,000 miles will get you a cheapie ticket.
--Linky-- (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1142,00.html)
You'll have to spend $25,000 to get 25,000 miles with most cards. United Mileage Plus card has a 21,000 mile signup bonus offer right now.
--Linky-- (http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=united_signature_21k _afw&page=cont&mkid=6VMT)

dando
10-18-06, 10:38 PM
Actually, 25,000 miles will get you a cheapie ticket.
--Linky-- (http://www.united.com/page/article/0,,1142,00.html)
You'll have to spend $25,000 to get 25,000 miles with most cards. United Mileage Plus card has a 21,000 mile signup bonus offer right now.
--Linky-- (http://www.firstusa.com/cgi-bin/webcgi/webserve.cgi?partner_dir_name=united_signature_21k _afw&page=cont&mkid=6VMT)

Did I forget to add that YMMV? ;)

-Kevin

grungex
10-19-06, 09:11 AM
Literally. ;)

I think I was replying to Spikkly at the same time you were, but I type slower. :p

chop456
10-19-06, 11:21 AM
Base it on who has the most nonstops out of IND. You could earn a load of miles that are worthless if they won't get you where you want to go. I've had my AA/Citibank for about 2 years and have earned enough for me and the wife to go to the Carribean.

Or for me to go to Le Mans by myself. :D

TravelGal
10-19-06, 01:41 PM
ACK, Spickly sweetie, you (usually) get 1 mile per dollar spent. There are LOTS of variations, however. As the others have said, it depends upon the offer at the moment. BUT, 1 mile (or 1 point) is generally considered to have a value of 2 cents. You use that figure to decide whether it is worth it to pay for a ticket or use your points. That's assuming you HAVE points, which puts me way far ahead of this discussion, doesn't it? :D

chop456
10-19-06, 01:50 PM
The AAdvantage dining program pays up to 10 miles per dollar sometimes. (Not often). It seems to be 2-3, usually.

Spicoli
10-19-06, 03:58 PM
Thanks everyone, but this game appears to be more trubble/frustation than its worth. :)

[/Thread clsoed]:gomer:

ferrarigod
10-19-06, 06:04 PM
Thanks everyone, but this game appears to be more trubble/frustation than its worth. :)

[/Thread clsoed]:gomer:

Easiest thing, call Amex. Get the card with 12,500 bonus sign up miles. You should be approved and on your way to SkyMiles in no time.

just my 2 pence.