PDA

View Full Version : What if the equipment were equal?

Indy
10-15-06, 07:28 PM
Three part hypthetical question: what if it could somehow be assured that all champ car equipment were completely equal and level? What would be the finishing order in the championship...

1) ...if the teams were the determining factor (no driver input into the standings), but were divided as the currently are? For example, rank the teams like, first Forsythe (Tracy) team, second N-H (Bourdais) team, third RuSport (Wilson) team, etc.

2) ...if the drivers were the determining factor (no team input)? For example, ranked like first Tracy, second Bourdais, third Wilson, etc.

3) ...if the drivers and their teams combined determined the order (but again with absolutely equal equipment)? For example, first Tracy/Forsythe, second Bourdais/N-H, third Wilson/RuSport, etc.

Insomniac
10-15-06, 09:45 PM
Who sets up the cars? Can the settings be changed?

Indy
10-15-06, 10:21 PM
Who sets up the cars? Can the settings be changed?

Good question.

1) Teams (by car, not by owner) are given access to equal equipment and allowed to set up the cars for equal robot drivers.

2) Drivers are given identical cars with identical setups.

3) Teams are given access to equal equipment and allowed to set up cars for their regular drivers.

I might also note that all teams and drivers start from a blank slate (like with the DP01) and subsequently get identical budgets and testing days.

What I am trying to get at here is, where do the fans think the talent lies? Are there teams which are more talented than their drivers, and vice versa? Are there teams and drivers which are made for each other (or not)? If you could separate the budgets from the teams from the drivers, who would win?

chop456
10-16-06, 03:46 AM
African or European drivers?

pchall
10-16-06, 07:34 AM

Trained chimps or grandmothers?

rosawendel
10-16-06, 08:21 AM

are you implying that champ cars migrate?

Insomniac
10-16-06, 09:34 AM
Good question.

1) Teams (by car, not by owner) are given access to equal equipment and allowed to set up the cars for equal robot drivers.

2) Drivers are given identical cars with identical setups.

3) Teams are given access to equal equipment and allowed to set up cars for their regular drivers.

I might also note that all teams and drivers start from a blank slate (like with the DP01) and subsequently get identical budgets and testing days.

What I am trying to get at here is, where do the fans think the talent lies? Are there teams which are more talented than their drivers, and vice versa? Are there teams and drivers which are made for each other (or not)? If you could separate the budgets from the teams from the drivers, who would win?

I think this is a hard thing to figure out. I don't think anyone can muscle a car around the track as well as PT can. But if you have a nice smooth car, Bourdais is pretty good. I'd say AJ is he best out there right now though. I don't think anyone doubts that N-H has the best cars on the grid and AJ can still beat them.

So driver: AJ
Team: N-H

I personally think Bourdais winning is more a function of the team and AJ winning is more a function of him.

NismoZ
10-16-06, 12:50 PM
I'd rather run a trained champ. Sebastian Bourdais.

coolhand
10-16-06, 01:23 PM
This sounds like another thread for Forythe fanboys who think NHR is winning becuase they have an advantage with lola

cameraman
10-16-06, 01:36 PM
This sounds like another thread for Forythe fanboys who think NHR is winning becuase they have an advantage with lolaIf you were Justin Wilson who would you rather have set up your car, Forsythe or Newman Haas? No accusations of cheating here, I'm just thinking the N-H car might have the better set up.

Insomniac
10-16-06, 02:13 PM
This sounds like another thread for Forythe fanboys who think NHR is winning becuase they have an advantage with lola

Wow. So N-H has inferior cars and superior drivers then? I guess there is no circumstance where N-H does anything right with the car. If they do, it's an excuse for why FCR isn't the best. Sounds more lke you need a reason to make sure there is no situation where it could even be implied PT is worth anything.

Easy
10-16-06, 02:29 PM
So driver: AJ
Team: N-H

I personally think Bourdais winning is more a function of the team and AJ winning is more a function of him.

That can't be right. AJ is going to NASCAR which means he is a gomer and he can't drive real race cars in a real series. Bourdais will now be the unquestioned best driver until he goes to NASCAR, then Nelsonmania can take over until he takes his money to F1 where he will surely be a multiple race finisher.:p

Dr. Corkski
10-16-06, 02:34 PM
2) ...if the drivers were the determining factor (no team input)? For example, ranked like first Tracy, second Bourdais, third Wilson, etc.1. Pope Tracy
2. Pope Tracy
3. Pope Tracy
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay
5. Nelsonmania
6. Sean O'Gorman
7. Katherine Legge
8. Juan Caceres
9. Speedy Dan
10. Chanoch Nissany
11. Zslow Bumgardener
12. Alex Bassi
13. Brian Vickers
14. Jos Verstappen
15. Drew Tate
16. Barry Zito
17. Erick Hansen

Tim
10-16-06, 02:48 PM
12. Alex Bassi:D

I remember when he whooped my ass in a go-kart race. The only person I beat was Anaya's kid.

extramundane
10-16-06, 02:52 PM
1. Pope Tracy
2. Pope Tracy
3. Pope Tracy
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay
5. Nelsonmania
6. Sean O'Gorman
7. Katherine Legge
8. Juan Caceres
9. Speedy Dan
10. Chanoch Nissany
11. Zslow Bumgardener
12. Alex Bassi
13. Brian Vickers
14. Jos Verstappen
15. Drew Tate
16. Barry Zito
17. Erick Hansen

I think you got 6 and 7 reversed, and you left off Ho-Pin Tung. Other than that...

:rofl:

racer2c
10-16-06, 03:02 PM
I think you got 6 and 7 reversed, and you left off Ho-Pin Tung. Other than that...

and Jan Magnussen.:)

coolhand
10-16-06, 03:30 PM
1. Pope Tracy
2. Pope Tracy
3. Pope Tracy
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay
5. Nelsonmania
6. Sean O'Gorman
7. Katherine Legge
8. Juan Caceres
9. Speedy Dan
10. Chanoch Nissany
11. Zslow Bumgardener
12. Alex Bassi
13. Brian Vickers
14. Jos Verstappen
15. Drew Tate
16. Barry Zito
17. Erick Hansen

That sounds like a pretty solid list cork, PT forever :gomer:

NismoZ
10-16-06, 03:42 PM
5 years is gonna seem like forever!:p

Hard Driver
10-16-06, 04:15 PM

I don't know... Ahhhhhhhhhh

Easy
10-16-06, 05:42 PM
1. Pope Tracy
2. Pope Tracy
3. Pope Tracy
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay
5. Nelsonmania
6. Sean O'Gorman
7. Katherine Legge
8. Juan Caceres
9. Speedy Dan
10. Chanoch Nissany
11. Zslow Bumgardener
12. Alex Bassi
13. Brian Vickers
14. Jos Verstappen
15. Drew Tate
16. Barry Zito
17. Erick Hansen

Only thing, Nissany should be ahead of Nelsonmania since he brings about 8 times as much cash.

ChampcarShark
10-17-06, 01:09 PM
1. Pope Tracy
2. Pope Tracy
3. Pope Tracy
4. Ryan Hunter-Reay
5. Nelsonmania
6. Sean O'Gorman
7. Katherine Legge
8. Juan Caceres
9. Speedy Dan
10. Chanoch Nissany
11. Zslow Bumgardener
12. Alex Bassi
13. Brian Vickers
14. Jos Verstappen
15. Drew Tate
16. Barry Zito
17. Erick Hansen

Katherine Legge should be 4th cause she's better looking

Indy
10-18-06, 12:35 AM
I am glad you guys took this seriously. :D

I am bored. We need a fantasy league, or a reason to talk about actual racing.

cameraman
10-18-06, 01:42 AM
03 days 21h : 28m : 50s until the green drops at Surfers...