PDA

View Full Version : Snow in October?

TKGAngel
10-13-06, 08:35 AM
Its October 13th and we've just been hit with the earliest recorded lake effect snowstorm on record. The Buffalo area has had 14 inches of wet, heavy snow in the past 24 hours. Over 250,000 are without power right now, and not expected to have power again until early next week. Local government is asking for conservation of water, since the water intake stations do not have power at the moment. The 90 is closed from south of Buffalo all the way to Rochester, since there are multiple accidents and people stuck on the road.

Its just amazing what Mother Nature can do. This photo was taken from my front porch about a half hour ago.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/aimelena/facingnorth.jpg

Wabbit
10-13-06, 08:44 AM
One of the reasons I am glad that I no longer live in upstate New York.

Turn7
10-13-06, 08:44 AM
Must be all that global warming that you keep hearing about. :saywhat:

KLang
10-13-06, 09:15 AM
Must be all that global warming that you keep hearing about. :saywhat:

Beat me to it. :D

ferrarigod
10-13-06, 09:56 AM
I blame La Nina, and that punk b!tch El Nino.

Global warming leads to global cooling. Anybody that knows Al Gore knows that.:rofl:

Ankf00
10-13-06, 10:45 AM
buddy in detroit was bitching just last night about snow coming his way either today or sometime soon. My response is the same: haha, you live in buffalo :p

Warlock!
10-13-06, 11:12 AM
Gettin' closer and closer to the time where I park the two wheeler and jump into sled mode. Woot, muddahfuggah!

http://www.mellanzer.com/Mattmisc/3snow.JPG

RacinM3
10-13-06, 11:46 AM
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m174/aimelena/facingnorth.jpg[/QUOTE]

You guys sure you got enough power lines/phone line in your neighborhood? ;)

anait
10-13-06, 02:02 PM
Yup, snow in October. :saywhat: But I'd take the snow if we could just ditch the stupid high winds, 90kph gusts, I thought the new eavestroughs might end up down the street last night, sheesh...

On the bright side, less leaf clearing to do. :cool:

Wheel-Nut
10-13-06, 02:04 PM
eavestroughs :saywhat: Please define. :)

anait
10-13-06, 02:25 PM
eavestroughs :saywhat: Please define. :)

:) Gutters. We had new eavestroughs, downspouts and fascia installed two weeks ago. Thankfully, everything stayed put.

RichK
10-13-06, 02:34 PM
I drove through some snow last weekend in California! The forest service closed down Tioga Pass (10,000 feet) behind us as a result.

Wheel-Nut
10-13-06, 05:52 PM
Ahh. . . . Gutters. Thanks.

dando
10-13-06, 08:45 PM
Sorry about your luck. :p :D

-Kevin

TKGAngel
10-16-06, 08:30 AM
I've never been so happy to be at work before in my life. Work has heat, power and internet. My house lost power about 1/2 an hour after I started this thread on Friday. When I left the house this morning, the house was at a balmy 57 degrees. They're not expecting to have everyone's power back online until next Sunday.

And yes, we could have a few more power/phone/cable lines hooked up. My neighbor's cable line is wrapped around my front porch and my phone line is wrapped around the other end of the porch.

dando
10-16-06, 11:10 AM
I've never been so happy to be at work before in my life. Work has heat, power and internet. My house lost power about 1/2 an hour after I started this thread on Friday. When I left the house this morning, the house was at a balmy 57 degrees. They're not expecting to have everyone's power back online until next Sunday.

And yes, we could have a few more power/phone/cable lines hooked up. My neighbor's cable line is wrapped around my front porch and my phone line is wrapped around the other end of the porch.

:eek: Damn. Now I'm really sorry about your luck. Must be cuz the Sabres are playing so well. ;)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--buffalosnow1015oct15,0,2321620,print.story?coll=ny-region-apnewyork

-Kevin

TKGAngel
10-16-06, 11:38 AM
Damn. Now I'm really sorry about your luck. Must be cuz the Sabres are playing so well. ;)

-Kevin

Heh. :D

The only casualty of the Sabres winning streak (so far!) has been Sabretooth. He was hanging on the glass behind the Sabres bench after Saturday's win, and the glass shattered, causing him to fall and a glass shower to end up on Marty Biron. :eek: No word on whether the Tooth is going to be placed on IR. ;)