PDA

View Full Version : Atlantics speculation

RichK
04-18-03, 12:06 PM
Just a thought:

Ford owns Mazda & is a CART supplier/sponsor.
The new Formula Mazda in '04:

240 HP Mazda “Renesis” rotary engine with encrypted ECU including rev limiter, pit speed limiter, traction control, ignition trim, fuel trim, carbon fiber tub, Six-speed sequential with no lift shift.

Sealed spec motor is cheaper, & the aluminum wings are cheaper to replace and repair.

Could the new FM be the new FA?

Peter Olivola
04-19-03, 09:50 AM
Formula Mazda isn't a product of Mazda. It's a product of Gary Rodriguez(sp?) who is not without some baggage. I doubt Ford wants to be in bed with him at that level.

RichK
04-19-03, 01:54 PM
Instead they are in bed with Toyota & outrageous costs?

Peter Olivola
04-19-03, 09:06 PM
If you can furninsh numbers showing that the cost of Toyota Atlantics is a function of what Toyota charges for engines I'd be inclined to consider your point, but we both know you can't because that isn't the cause of the cost issue.

Originally posted by RichK
Instead they are in bed with Toyota & outrageous costs?

RichK
04-19-03, 09:28 PM
I'm not trying to insinuate that Toyota is causing the cost problem. My point is that CART dealing with Toyota (not CART's friend) can't be much worse than dealing with Mazda (a Ford company), especially when the new Star Mazda has some impressive specs, and a sealed motor that, if it lasts like the current 13B, will reduce costs quite a bit.

Mazda has stepped up their involvement with the Star Mazdas lately, too.

Napoleon
04-20-03, 07:18 AM

They have been involved since day one. I have several times been to club races where Mazda has sent camera crews to film the Mazda race which is then shown in the geographic region the race has occured in on cable tv as a sort of half hour infomercial.

Sean O'Gorman
04-20-03, 10:43 AM
I'm not trying to insinuate that Toyota is causing the cost problem. My point is that CART dealing with Toyota (not CART's friend) can't be much worse than dealing with Mazda (a Ford company), especially when the new Star Mazda has some impressive specs, and a sealed motor that, if it lasts like the current 13B, will reduce costs quite a bit.

I think what Peter is trying to say is that even if the car is cheaper, the other aspects are going to cost the same. The car costing less doesn't mean that top engineers, extra crewman, test sessions, are going to go down in price as well.

BlueStang
04-20-03, 09:49 PM
If Toyota's departure to the IRL had happened a season earlier, do you think that CART would have kept the Indy Lights series instead, and done away with the Toyota Atlantic series?

I guess I never really heard why they did away with Lights. :confused:

Blue

RichK
04-21-03, 11:24 AM
Good point, SeanO (and Peter) about costs not going down. I'm just wondering if the timing is working out in Mazda's favor for such a switch.

Dr. Corkski
04-24-03, 05:20 AM
Toyota isn't the problem here. They just make the engine parts. The engine builders are the ones raking in the dough. Also word out on the street is that Swift is horrible when it comes to parts.

TrueBrit
04-24-03, 01:53 PM
Hmmmm?