PDA

View Full Version : IRL dribers - "we want more road courses!"

Spicoli
10-10-06, 11:47 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2606420&type=story

One thing remains absolutely clear after the Daytona test: IRL drivers are still desperate for more road-racing venues.

The meltdowns are funny over there.

like:

If I get to go to the 500 every year that will suffice for me.

We got Vi$ion$ baby! :tony: :tony: :tony:

indyfan31
10-10-06, 12:13 PM
Gotta love this:

Meira and Penske Racing's Sam Hornish Jr. both crashed at the same spot at Daytona, the chicane on the back straight before Turn 3 of the oval. That led to Meira and Kanaan suggesting minor changes to the layout, bringing it more in line with the 2.73-mile course variation used by AMA motorcycles for their race at Daytona.
... if you keep crashing on the same turn, CHANGE THE TURN. There's "the greatest open wheel drivers" for you.:laugh:

racer2c
10-10-06, 12:25 PM
What does the IRL think to gain from racing at Daytona? There is no built in fan base. Fans come from all over the country to pack it in for the two NASCAR races. How many Jacksonville, Orlando and Gainesville folks will drive to Daytona to see the IRL? Very few I think. They'd be lucky to get 15K.
Yes, they would probably get some press about the "return to Daytona", but it would be fleeting.
Could it be simply to strengthen ties with the France mafia? Probably more likely which is just another example of the idiocy of TG.

extramundane
10-10-06, 01:20 PM
What does the IRL think to gain from racing at Daytona? There is no built in fan base. Fans come from all over the country to pack it in for the two NASCAR races. How many Jacksonville, Orlando and Gainesville folks will drive to Daytona to see the IRL? Very few I think. They'd be lucky to get 15K.
Yes, they would probably get some press about the "return to Daytona", but it would be fleeting.
Could it be simply to strengthen ties with the France mafia? Probably more likely which is just another example of the idiocy of TG.

I'm sure any IRL race would be stuck into a prime Tuesday or Wednesday morning slot. Perhaps between Grand Am haulers leaving and ARCA haulers arriving, so the track isn't besieged by a sudden influx of fans :tony:

Andrew Longman
10-10-06, 01:43 PM
It had the additional benefit of legitimizing stock cars to the open-wheel crowd, to the point that Indianapolis is now a NASCAR town.

The other important byproduct of the creation of the Brickyard 400 is that it essentially gave George the funding to form the Indy Racing League. And as history has made clear, the split of open-wheel racing into two camps has diminished that form of racing in this country.

Ouch.

And so how much more control and influence does TG have with the France family than he did or might have had if he had learned to play nicely with the CARt board? How much more important is Indy and the Indy 500 now eleven year after the split?

Spicoli
10-10-06, 02:07 PM
The spin on this is incredible.

But wait!:saywhat: Oreo is just another sock puppet for "cart". :rofl:

trauma1
10-10-06, 02:35 PM
The off-road shenanigans were so bad early in the session that the joke in the Target Chip Ganassi Racing pit was that a crew member had been sent to a nearby Home Depot to purchase a lawnmower blade.

It wasn't entirely clear if the blade was intended for the Ganassi No. 9 Honda/Dallara driven by Dan Wheldon or the rival Marlboro Team Penske No. 6 Honda/Dallara driven by Sam Hornish Jr., but both drivers found the grass more than once.

oddlycalm
10-10-06, 03:11 PM
Beyond pathetic. In the broader scheme of racing, this is a like a fart in a high wind. The world won't notice if the EARL races at Daytona or it doesn't.

The entire motivation seems to be the desperation of a condensed series that has no actual racing news to talk about for the last couple months while the rest of the racing world is in the thick of championship battles.

oc

nrc
10-10-06, 03:26 PM
So were does the mix of road courses to ovals stand in the IRL now?

Cam
10-10-06, 03:41 PM

Less than 25%. ;) :D

RTKar
10-10-06, 06:16 PM

Have they dropped Indy yet? :rolleyes:

NismoZ
10-10-06, 06:35 PM
I know it was well over a year ago I was reading about preferences of League drivers and only ONE, just ONE believed a 50/50 split of roads to ovals was far too generous and did not want to see that happen. Care to guess who?

Lizzerd
10-10-06, 06:45 PM
I know it was well over a year ago I was reading about preferences of League drivers and only ONE, just ONE believed a 50/50 split of roads to ovals was far too generous and did not want to see that happen. Care to guess who?

The Sham, no doubt about it.

Spicoli
10-10-06, 08:34 PM
Have they dropped Indy yet? :rolleyes:

you know - Indy is actually a road course, right?!

RTKar
10-10-06, 08:56 PM
you know - Indy is actually a road course, right?!

Rickenbacker still own that place?

Dirty Sanchez
10-10-06, 09:06 PM
Gotta love this:

... if you keep crashing on the same turn, CHANGE THE TURN. There's "the greatest open wheel drivers" for you.:laugh:hate to break up a hate thread... but the last turn at fundidora was changed after numerous cars crashed there the first year.

Spicoli
10-10-06, 09:41 PM
Rickenbacker still own that place?

4 turns, 4 straights = road course. :p

another gem on car counts:

Originally Posted by J** Wi***
How come all the teams that spent money buying and prepping one of the new Atlantics didn't make it to the end of the season?

response:

how come the irl didn't finish the season with 33 cars?

:cry: :rofl:

Nice shot and very f'in funny.:laugh:

cart7
10-10-06, 09:52 PM
A so called oval centric OW racing series goes to the second most famous oval race track in the country to run on the road course...... :saywhat:

Go figure. :tony:

NismoZ
10-11-06, 02:38 PM
Si, The Sham.:)