PDA

View Full Version : In keeping with the irl's injury reporting tradition...

mapguy
04-18-03, 09:19 AM
Dashley's injuries are worse than first reported. (http://www.indystar.com/print/articles/4/036762-5914-037.html) From Curt Cave-In.

spook
04-18-03, 10:26 AM
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with IRL reporting, and everything to do with the fact that Dario's recovery is simply going slower than expected.

Really now, there's enough to knock the IRL for without making UP stuff.............

:)

Spicoli
04-18-03, 10:27 AM
And Dixon's in surgery right now.

Clabber Boy must be proud.

mapguy
04-18-03, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by spook
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with IRL reporting, and everything to do with the fact that Dario's recovery is simply going slower than expected.

Really now, there's enough to knock the IRL for without making UP stuff.............

True or false. When the injury was first reported he had hurt his back and there was no more information that he was going to miss Indy. Now a few days later it looks like he is going to be out for a while.

Typical.

Did I make up his injuries? No. But that has never stopped you before.

BTW. I take it that your husband was not part of PT's crew?

JoeBob
04-18-03, 10:42 AM
I suspect that Dario's deal might be more of him keeping details from the team than the IRL keeping details from the media. I suspect that his paycheck is in question, since he hurt himself riding a motorcycle. It always seems like the truth comes out after they see Dr. Trammell. AGR gets Trammell's report today.

Now, if you want to talk about under-reporting injuries, lets talk about Dixon going from pain in his arm, to having fractures, to having a plate and screws being used to put his wrist back together, and missing the first week of Indy.

Or, about Kanaan going from pain, to a fracture, to a fracture and a laceration, then into surgery. The last report says he'll be ready in 3 weeks, but I'm a bit skeptical of that, because...

de Ferran went from back pain, to minor fractures in his back, to fractures in his back and neck but ready for Indy, to who knows what, but not cleared to drive.

spook
04-18-03, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by mapguy
True or false. When the injury was first reported he had hurt his back and there was no more information that he was going to miss Indy. Now a few days later it looks like he is going to be out for a while.

Typical.

Did I make up his injuries? No. But that has never stopped you before.

BTW. I take it that your husband was not part of PT's crew?

True. But the reason is because missing Indy wasn't even a considered possibility. He was totally expected to recover. Trying to pin his worsening condition on the IRL is just plain reaching.

Actually, yes, he was part of PT's crew. Why do you ask?

mapguy
04-18-03, 11:20 AM
True. But the reason is because missing Indy wasn't even a considered possibility. He was totally expected to recover. Trying to pin his worsening condition on the IRL is just plain reaching.

Actually, yes, he was part of PT's crew. Why do you ask?

I never said in my post that it was the irl that was responsible for the reports. I said that it was keeping up the tradition.

It was you who was reaching. :rolleyes:

spook
04-18-03, 11:29 AM
I never said in my post that it was the irl that was responsible for the reports. I said that it was keeping up the tradition.

It was you who was reaching. :rolleyes:

THe title of your thread is "In keeping with the IRL's injury reporting tradition". Now you're saying that you never said it was the IRL that was responsible for the reports. HUH!??!?!?

mapguy
04-18-03, 11:35 AM
THe title of your thread is "In keeping with the IRL's injury reporting tradition". Now you're saying that you never said it was the IRL that was responsible for the reports. HUH!??!?!?

'In keeping with' is not saying that the irl is releasing the information.

The irl are notorious for releasing injury reports that tend to get worse. That is their tradition. Whoever is responsible for releasing Dashley's info is keeping with the irl's tradition.

Work on your reading comprehension a little will ya?

spook
04-18-03, 11:51 AM
'In keeping with' is not saying that the irl is releasing the information.

The irl are notorious for releasing injury reports that tend to get worse. That is their tradition. Whoever is responsible for releasing Dashley's info is keeping with the irl's tradition.

Work on your reading comprehension a little will ya?

Oh I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I'd made the assumption that you were trying to make a slam. I don't know WHAT in the world would have given me that impression. ;)

mapguy
04-18-03, 11:53 AM
Oh I see now. Thanks for clearing that up. For some reason I'd made the assumption that you were trying to make a slam. I don't know WHAT in the world would have given me that impression. ;)

Me? A slam? C'mon now. You should know that I love Toney George and all he has done for Indy and Open Wheel Racing in North America.

WickerBill
04-18-03, 11:57 AM
Are we friends now, map and oo?

spook
04-18-03, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill

I would just like the record to reflect all of my smilies in my previous posts to this thread. :D

mapguy
04-18-03, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill

Is that a rhetorical question? Or do I have to answer it?:)

Eagle104
04-18-03, 12:21 PM
I think the two of them should strip-to-the-waist and duke-it-out, if you ask me.:thumbup: :laugh:

Ziggy
04-18-03, 12:29 PM
Ummmm, Kool Aid

Ziggy

Napoleon
04-18-03, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by Eagle104
I think the two of them should strip-to-the-waist...

Since we all know mapguy wears no pants . . .

Ziggy
04-18-03, 01:06 PM
:D

DaveL
04-18-03, 10:27 PM
Dashely just would have got his back broken sooner or later driving a Crapwagon anyway.

I'm sure all of the Yen Honda threw at him will pay the medical bills, along with easing the pain and suffering he's feeling at the moment.

The longer that pompous schmuck has been out of CART, the more I realize just how little he brought to the series.

pchall
04-18-03, 10:49 PM

You really need to lighten up.

There is considerable irony in reports of Dario's condition being worse than first announced. It does follow the pattern of IRL "bell run on Sunday, back broken by Thursday" injury updates.

This would be as funny as the Iraqi Information Minister if the injury rate in the IRL wasn't so appalling since it's inception.

Ziggy
04-19-03, 01:09 AM
DaveL, I agree completely with your comments on Dashley

This guy was the prototypical wine and cheeser if there ever was one. I have never in my life heard a more ungracious loser, ever. It was always somebody else's fault in defeat, and all on his shoulders in victory.

Never cared for Him, and his choke job his rookie season driving Hogan's car leaving the pits set the tone for his career.

Dashley and Michael deserve each other

Ziggy

nrc
04-19-03, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by DaveL
[quote]The longer that pompous schmuck has been out of CART, the more I realize just how little he brought to the series.
I don't know. I think I'd trade one of our clueless wankers for a pompous schmuck. We may even have a clueless schmuck or a pompous wanker to spare.

spook
04-20-03, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by pchall
You really need to lighten up.

There is considerable irony in reports of Dario's condition being worse than first announced. It does follow the pattern of IRL "bell run on Sunday, back broken by Thursday" injury updates.

This would be as funny as the Iraqi Information Minister if the injury rate in the IRL wasn't so appalling since it's inception.

This is all I'm saying.

From ESPN:

Franchitti didn't run Motegi but he also didn't realize how serious things were until he came to Indianapolis.

"I about fell over when I saw his X-rays," said Trammell. "He wasn't given the correct diagnosis and it was much worse than he thought. Another hit and he'd have been in deep trouble.

Railbird
04-20-03, 10:43 PM
I don't know. I think I'd trade one of our clueless wankers for a pompous schmuck. We may even have a clueless schmuck or a pompous wanker to spare.

And there you go.

Hard to say it better than that.

And Spook?

Don't tell me that since that stylish devil PT has left you have begun to appreciate the dreamy Dashley???

;)

spook
04-21-03, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Railbird

And there you go.

Hard to say it better than that.

And Spook?

Don't tell me that since that stylish devil PT has left you have begun to appreciate the dreamy Dashley???

;)

I'll always appreciate Dashley's dreaminess, but that's about it! ;)

My bet is that anyone they put in the car in his place will do just as good or better of a job than he would have.

RaceGrrl
04-21-03, 09:02 AM
My bet is that anyone they put in the car in his place will do just as good or better of a job than he would have.

No doubt because it's so difficult to drive in the IRL.

spook
04-21-03, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by RaceGrrl
No doubt because it's so difficult to drive in the IRL.

You know what I mean.:p

Besides, tell that to Scott Mayer! He seems to think it's pretty difficult! :p :D

mapguy
04-21-03, 09:31 AM

Looking at Dashley's stellar record on ovals that wouldn't be to hard. I hear Dr Jack doesn't have a ride for Indy.

JoeBob
04-21-03, 03:12 PM
Robin Miller interviewed Terry Trammell, and has some interesting bits on the injuries here: http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2003/0420/1541553.html

It seems to confirm the theory that Franchitti hadn't told AGR just how badly he was injured. (Trammell says the injury was misdiagnosed.)

You can also add Jacques Lazier to the "injured at Motegi" list, he suffered a mild concussion.

devilmaster
04-21-03, 03:19 PM
Now where did I put my injury scorecard? :shakehead

Gotta keep all these in line.....

Thanks, idiotgrandson.

Steve

Chief
04-22-03, 08:51 PM
Remember too, thats an "unreported" head injury to Lazier BTW. Wow.

nrc
04-23-03, 11:45 PM
They've now discovered that Scott Dixon fractured his pelvis in three places.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=30885

Chief
04-24-03, 01:04 AM
Un-freaking believable. Who originally read his xrays, Harpo Marx?

devilmaster
04-24-03, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by Chief
Un-freaking believable. Who originally read his xrays, Harpo Marx?

Honk! Honk!

Steve

Kiwifan
04-24-03, 04:54 AM
And I'm still sitting here Downunder, shakin' my head sayin' "Come home Scott, come home Mario". Good grief. I don't go out of my way to bag the IRL or their staff but........

If it wasn't for the RA announcement this would have been a black day. Get well Possum.:cry:

Rusty.

Sorry Wickerbill, I know this isn't CART but Possum is a cult hero down here.Possums Accident (http://www.possumbourne.co.nz/index.html) and go to News.

oddlycalm
04-24-03, 05:36 AM
"I about fell over when I saw his X-rays," said Trammell. "He wasn't given the correct diagnosis and it was much worse than he thought. Another hit and he'd have been in deep trouble.

So much for socialized medicine and vetrinarians, eh...

Spook, I still want to know if he has one of the classic MV Augusta's from the 60's (worth a fortune), or one of the new ones that are very, very fast. Right, I know, who cares... Well I do.

oc

spook
04-24-03, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by oddlycalm
So much for socialized medicine and vetrinarians, eh...

Spook, I still want to know if he has one of the classic MV Augusta's from the 60's (worth a fortune), or one of the new ones that are very, very fast. Right, I know, who cares... Well I do.

oc Hi! Sorry I totally forgot about this. I couldn't tell you make or model stuff, but I do know it was a brand spanking new bike. Hope that helps! :)

mapguy
04-24-03, 09:23 AM
Although I am not a big fan of Dashleys I admire his taste in motorcycles.

http://www.mvagustausa.com/2003mvagusta/images/f4s/F4Srhside_1024.jpg

pchall
04-24-03, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by nrc
They've now discovered that Scott Dixon fractured his pelvis in three places.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=30885

Wow.

Remember when the Star was in effect the journal of record for motorsports news? Now we have to search the internet to find out the truth about the IRL injuries...

Kiwifan
04-24-03, 02:31 PM
Sorry pc, I thought you guys knew so I didn't put up a link when it came out.:o :o I guess most of us are still fretting over Possum. Once again, sorry team.

Rusty.

cart7
04-24-03, 02:47 PM
About a third of the field is injured and there's only been 3 races. :eek: I wonder what the toll will be when real Indy practice starts. Tony better get busy putting up softer walls at the rest of venues or he'll have to recruit spridget drivers to fill the ranks for the rest of the races. When combining last year and this, I'm not sure you can go back in time and find a racing series that had such a high level of injury in such a short period of time.

pchall
04-24-03, 02:56 PM
This is shaping up to be a really bad Month of May.

It almost makes me ashamed that I love this cruel sport so much.

Similary, I am embarrassed that members of the "old school" are obviously loving it.

oddlycalm
04-24-03, 03:18 PM
it was a brand spanking new bike.

Thanks Spook. The reason I asked was that there is no excuse for that kind of a failure on a new sled. Dario should squeeze whomever is responsible very hard.

However, I could see it happening easily on a 35yr old MV with a complicated mechanical brake linkage. Many of the original MV Augustas had a Fontana four leading shoe drum brake which required the use of a rather complicated mechanical linkage, which I have see bind up on occasion with terrifying results.

oc

spook
04-24-03, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by oddlycalm
However, I could see it happening easily on a 35yr old MV with a complicated mechanical brake linkage. Many of the original MV Augustas had a Fontana four leading shoe drum brake which required the use of a rather complicated mechanical linkage, which I have see bind up on occasion with terrifying results.

oc

I have no idea what any of that means!!! :D

But I'm glad to have helped. :)

pchall
04-24-03, 03:37 PM

I have no idea what any of that means!!! :D

I hope you are not proud of that.

spook
04-24-03, 03:41 PM
pc - WHY are you so grouchy lately!?!?!?

I personally couldn't care less about motorcyles - they're not a hobby of mine. So I'm neither proud nor ashamed that I don't know anything about them.

pchall
04-24-03, 03:49 PM
I'm grouchy because the IRL injury rate is far higher than necessary. Drivers I care about are at extreme risk.

And some folks want to pretend that things are just fine...

spook
04-24-03, 03:53 PM
I'm grouchy because the IRL injury rate is far higher than necessary. Drivers I care about are at extreme risk.

And some folks want to pretend that things are just fine...

Hmmm. I don't know how to make you feel any better about that. :( Except to say that all of these drivers are willing participants who understand what risks they face. No one is forcing them into the cars!

That probably doesn't help, but it's all I've got.

pchall
04-24-03, 03:58 PM

That probably doesn't help, but it's all I've got.

It doesn't help at all.

It's a stupid rationalization covering up for a sanctioning body too stupid, inept, or greedy to do better by its participants.

spook
04-24-03, 04:03 PM
Not at all.

It's a stupid rationalization covering up for a sanctioning body to stupid, inept, or greedy to do better by its participants.

You can think that the IRL is as stupid, inept and greedy as you want and in many ways I'll agree. Regardless, drivers have a choice. Tony George isn't holding a gun to anyone's head! If you're upset that Mario is in an IRL car, be upset with Mario. He's the one that wanted to do it.

devilmaster
04-24-03, 04:14 PM
You can think that the IRL is as stupid, inept and greedy as you want and in many ways I'll agree. Regardless, drivers have a choice. Tony George isn't holding a gun to anyone's head! If you're upset that Mario is in an IRL car, be upset with Mario. He's the one that wanted to do it.

But that doesn't relieve TG or the series from its responsibility to ensure proper safety in the league. Yes, very much I'm upset at the drivers who would take the risk, especially Mario who doesn't need to be in the tub.

I don't know whats more scary. The fact that the series doesn't seem to care about the high injury rate, or the fact that the teams don't want to push to make them safer, either.

BUT that doesn't clear or OK the series at all. Be proactive, not retroactive. I've got a bad feeling about this month. I don't want to see any driver seriously injured or killed. Especially if it comes out after that someone in the league knew the problem. :shakehead

Time after time, its a serious accident which drives safety. Greg Moore died because of a lawn. Dale and the others died because Nascar teams tried to make cars more survivable in crashes to ensure they could continue on and gain 'points'. I'm being simplistic, but they are still valid points. The Park/Jr. crash at Pocono last year showed a definite lack of proper safety in the backstretch. They only have low armco about 15 feet in front of regular fencing and then you have infield spectators. NASCAR barely avoided a tragedy that day.

I believe its the Sanctioning body's responsibility to always ensure everything is done for safety. Saying its the drivers responsibility because they got in the car and that TG doesn't have a gun pointed at their head, is not only way wrong, its sad.

[rant off]
Steve

RaceGrrl
04-24-03, 04:26 PM
If the IRL really was pro-active in their safety measures, I would feel less sick about Mario's crash yesterday. If he had been injured or, god forbid, killed in that accident, the blame would lie at Tony George's feet for turning a blind eye to the huge safety deficiencies of his series. Not only is Tony trying to kill CART, but by his negligence he could have killed an American icon.

Did Dale Earnhardt choose to race? Yes. He didn't choose to die. No driver does. It's up to the racing powers that be to protect their drivers. CART does that beautifully and still they suffer losses. The IRL is horribly inept and unwilling to admit their problems, and drivers will continue to be injured and will eventually die because of it. That's what is upsetting to me.

JoeBob
04-24-03, 07:44 PM
Interesting bit to consider. Concensus seems to be growing at TF that what Mario hit was not a part of Brack's car, but rather one of the foam parts (that sit behind the steel beams) of the SAFER barrier.

pchall
04-24-03, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by JoeBob
... but rather one of the foam parts (that sit behind the steel beams) of the SAFER barrier.

If that is all it takes to turn a Dallara into a ground launched cruise missle, it is going to be a long and troubling May.

Napoleon
04-25-03, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by JoeBob
Interesting bit to consider. Concensus seems to be growing at TF that what Mario hit was not a part of Brack's car, but rather one of the foam parts (that sit behind the steel beams) of the SAFER barrier.

Interesting, when I saw the clip on ESPN I thought it looked like styrofoam. If it was I assume that when he ran over it it momentarily cut off air running under the car resulting in a complete lack of downforce from the tray which then allowed it to take off.

cart7
04-25-03, 06:18 AM
Yep. One eye witness definitely said whatever it was was white in color. Bracks car is red and blue. The safer also had a pretty good hole ripped into it.

TG and company may want to re-investigate safer to prevent that from happening again.

Ziggy
04-25-03, 04:59 PM
For what it is worth. The attenuator on Bracks car is painted white. I believe Mario hit a chunk of foam, but the Rahal entry's gearbox has a very nicely painted white cap on the end of it.

Ziggy

Gurneyflap
04-25-03, 06:07 PM
How 'bout Robby Gordon? I agree.

nrc
04-25-03, 08:27 PM
Interesting comment from Mario Andretti in the CART press conference about Road America. "But, again, I didn't even have to go to the medical center. I got in the ambulance, and they dropped me off at the pit, and that was it."

Shouldn't you be required to go to the medical center after a major shunt? Thankfully Mario wasn't hurt, but you can't take a driver's word for that immediately after a major accident.

RaceChic
04-25-03, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by nrc
Interesting comment from Mario Andretti in the CART press conference about Road America. "But, again, I didn't even have to go to the medical center. I got in the ambulance, and they dropped me off at the pit, and that was it."

Shouldn't you be required to go to the medical center after a major shunt? Thankfully Mario wasn't hurt, but you can't take a driver's word for that immediately after a major accident.

Exactly, nrc!!!! :shakehead
They are so full of adrenaline from the "fight or flight response" that they will hardly ever experience pain after a major crash. You have to package them with a board and collar and do a full set of spinal X-Rays. WTF????!!!!????:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

pchall
04-25-03, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
Exactly, nrc!!!! :shakehead
They are so full of adrenaline from the "fight or flight response" that they will hardly ever experience pain after a major crash. You have to package them with a board and collar and do a full set of spinal X-Rays. WTF????!!!!????:flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

When I read that I was once more bothered by the casualness of the IRL in responding to a big shunt. There is no way he should have been just dropped off in the pits.

Check this story about Scott Dixon: link (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/latestnewsstory.cfm?storyID=3451170&thesection=sport&thesubsection=latest)

25.04.2003 1.18 pm

"New Zealand driver Scott Dixon paid a heavier price than first thought for his spectacular crash in the Indy Japan 300 motor race in Motegi 12 days ago.

"He originally walked away from the crash site with a fractured wrist and broken bones in his hand.

"Yesterday, X-rays in the United States revealed he also suffered three fractures to his pelvic bone."

This is exactly what RaceChic is talking about.

cart7
04-26-03, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by nrc

:shakehead Unbelievable :shakehead

RTKar
04-26-03, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by nrc
[B]Interesting comment from Mario Andretti in the CART press conference about Road America. "But, again, I didn't even have to go to the medical center. I got in the ambulance, and they dropped me off at the pit, and that was it."

See...there really wasn't an accident, there are also 102 entries, all the tickets are sold, scalpers are getting a premium, the tv ratings are sky rocketing and the best North American short track drivers make up the 33 car field for the Memorial Day classic.Just like the vision told us it would.

RaceChic
04-26-03, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by RTKar
See...there really wasn't an accident, there are also 102 entries, all the tickets are sold, scalpers are getting a premium, the tv ratings are sky rocketing and the best North American short track drivers make up the 33 car field for the Memorial Day classic.Just like the vision told us it would.

You been drinking the Kool-Aid my friend????
Psssst........See what happens!!! Say "NO" to the Kool-Aid!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

RTKar
04-26-03, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by RaceChic
You been drinking the Kool-Aid my friend????
Psssst........See what happens!!! Say "NO" to the Kool-Aid!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Didn't you see me wink Chic? No kool-aid, just beer...I must admit though, I did venture to TF to see what the darkside had to say...I'm also waiting for the announcement of a new rule in the earl for the 500, that cars can be repaired in the garage during the race and return to the track.

RaceChic
04-26-03, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by RTKar
Didn't you see me wink Chic? No kool-aid, just beer...I must admit though, I did venture to TF to see what the darkside had to say...I'm also waiting for the announcement of a new rule in the earl for the 500, that cars can be repaired in the garage during the race and return to the track.

I have to admit that I couldn't help myself and ventured over to TF myself. There! I said it! :saywhat:
It is rather funny to read what they write sometimes... Like the meltdown they had about Scott Dixon's comments about the Indy498 being "just another race" and that you are "kidding yourself if you tell yourself otherwise". Awww, they really are priceless sometimes over at TF........:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: