PDA

View Full Version : Kahiki

nrc
10-09-06, 02:13 PM
Once upon a time Columbus had one of the best Polynesian restaurants in the whole country. The Kahiki Supper Club (http://www.kahiki.com/about-us/supper-club.aspx) was built in 1961 and until recently was one of the best remaining examples of tiki culture. Not only was it an wonderful place with it's giant tiki gods, a tiki village, rainforest and aquarium, but they also had good food.
http://www.kahiki.com/images/sub/supperclubpics/lg1.jpg
Back when I was a kid the Kahiki was where we went for really special occaisions. RaceGrrl and I picked up that tradition and we often enjoyed our anniversary dinners in the tiki village with a smoking volcano or mystery drink.

The Kahiki food was so good that the Kahiki frozen foods business they started up on the side eventually become bigger than the restaurant itself. I imagine it was tough to keep the restaurant in the black with all the overhead involved and being ever further from the hotspots.

So when the money grubbing scumbags at Walgreens decided that they had to have that property for a drugstore, the owners sold and moved their frozen foods business to another location. Never, ever, shop at Walgreens.

When The Kahiki was torn down (http://www.haxan.com/kahikisalvage/) many of the major artifacts were put into storage in hopes that The Kahiki could return in some fashion in some other location.

Of course the problem was that a project worthy of the Kahiki name would cost a lot of money. The owners made a couple of runs at city government trying to secure support for a new restaurant downtown, with no luck. Eventually the original owner passed away and while his family has continued to grow the frozen foods business, there's no sign of interest in trying to revived the Kahiki.

But all is not lost. Last spring the executive chef of the Kahiki and some of the other employees opened The Tropical Bistro (http://thetropicalbistro.com) in Hilliard near I270. Most of the original menu is back along with their assortment of tropical drinks. RaceGrrl and I visited last night (surprise for her belated birthday dinner) and the food and service were excellent. They also have that raw fish stuff some of you like. :confused:

If you're in the area pay them a visit. It's not the Kahiki by any stretch, it's a strip mall restaurant with tiki decorations, but the food and the memories are good and we'd like to see them stick around.

Don Quixote
10-09-06, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the memories, nrc. When I was a kid, my family went out to eat dinner twice a year, for my and my brother's birthdays. That's where we went. I only wish I could have taken my kids there before they tore it down. I heard that the City was giving them fits on building code issues, since the building was outdated. Next time I am in Columbus I will try the new place. :thumbup:

SAdair
10-09-06, 02:57 PM
I remember the Kahiki well. Unfortunately I was only able to go there a couple of times before it was torn down. However it is nice to know that the food is back. I will definately have to visit this new resturant. Thanks for letting us know.

dando
10-09-06, 03:48 PM
Death to Walgreens! :flame: :mad:

Thx for the reminder, nrc.

Unforunately the former owner (Michael Tsao) died shortly after the restaurant was closed and torn down, so the plan for a new location downtown never happened. Sadly, I never ate there, since it was so far out in the sticks on the East side (for us NW siders). ;)

-Kevin

racer2c
10-10-06, 12:17 PM
I love the styling of that original building. It's a shame it is no longer. I'll add the new place to my list of places I will dine in the future.

Another one on my list is Canlis in Seattle. I ran across this place online while doing research on googie. Anyone ever been there?

link (http://www.canlis.com/_img/place/architecture_left.jpg)

Dirty Sanchez
10-10-06, 01:11 PM
let me get this straight... I'm not supposed to shop at walgreens because of a mutually agreed upon real estate deal in ohio :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:

nrc
10-10-06, 03:53 PM
let me get this straight... I'm not supposed to shop at walgreens because of a mutually agreed upon real estate deal in ohio :rofl: :laugh: :rofl:
The title "Boss" only applies to the forum. You get to do as you please the rest of the time.

dando
10-10-06, 04:06 PM

Crappy, it's more the principle of the matter. Walgreens went after what was widely considered an historic site in Cbus...and with a Walgreens or CVS on every other street corner in central OH, their expansion appears to be overly aggressive. One or the other will fail soon enough. How would you feel if Walgreens went after Wrigley Field, and it was agreed that Wrigely would be torn down for a new Walgreens? Of course, YMMV.

-Kevin

Dirty Sanchez
10-10-06, 04:10 PM
while I would be disappointed that Wrigley Field was gone, I wouldn't feel any animosity towards Walgreens over it... recognizing that Wrigley Field was under no obligation to sell out.

nice edit, boss :thumbup:

Warlock!
10-10-06, 04:22 PM
The Kahiki rocked. As a punk, when we visited C-bus we'd hit the Kahiki maybe once a year. The last time I was there was prolly 7 or 8 years ago, for mom & pop's analversary... I don't think my oldest daughter would remember it. Definitely something the kiddies woulda dug.

It was Ohio's own little slice of Vegas... an extravagent atmosphere with great food to boot. :thumbup:

Warlock!
10-10-06, 04:23 PM
duh

RaceGrrl
10-10-06, 04:49 PM
I believe that the Walgreens built on the former Kahiki site has since closed.

WRT not patronizing Walgreens on principle, I buy from local businesses over national chains whenever possible, so if I can get my prescriptions from a privately owned pharmacy, I'm gonna do that.

Oh... and my b-day dinner was great- romantic dinner and nice tropical drinks. :)

theunions
10-10-06, 04:53 PM
I believe that the Walgreens built on the former Kahiki site has since closed.

So now there's nothing but an empty retail shell there?

RaceGrrl
10-10-06, 04:54 PM
I think so- when I just did a search for Walgreens on Broad Street in Columbus, there was no result, and I seem to recall seeing a vacant building last time we drove past there.

ETA: ok, another search showed it. Guess I'll have to drive past there sometime to see for sure or it will bug me to not know.

nrc
10-10-06, 07:50 PM
Still there. I was tempted to stop in just for the thrill of buying some overpriced sundries from a site formerly on the National Registry of Historic Places, but thought better of it.

racer2c
10-10-06, 11:27 PM
I thought you didn't drink Richard? :) It is hard to pass up a drink in a skull mug though. When I was a kid my dad would get me a virgin Navy Grog at the local Chinese resteraunt. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world; which led me to decades of alcohalism. :D

[/AAmeeting]

devilmaster
10-10-06, 11:48 PM
virgin Navy Grog

so, you drank straight water? ;)

racer2c
10-10-06, 11:49 PM
so, you drank straight water? ;)

Probably, but it was in a skull and I was 10. :)

devilmaster
10-10-06, 11:51 PM
Probably, but it was in a skull and I was 10. :)

And your dad probably paid a full buck for it too.... :)

July 31st, 1970 - Black Tot day. :(

racer2c
10-10-06, 11:53 PM
And your dad probably paid a full buck for it too.... :)

But I got to keep the skull. ;)

nrc
10-11-06, 02:30 AM
I thought you didn't drink Richard? :) It is hard to pass up a drink in a skull mug though. Not often, and not much. Alcohol tastes too much like alcohol for my taste. :yuck:

chop456
10-11-06, 02:56 AM
Methadone doesn't exactly taste like pumpkin pie but you don't hear me complaining.