PDA

View Full Version : RIP, Buck

dando
10-07-06, 01:12 AM
The last great representative of the Negroe League.....

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2615960

In February 2006, it was widely thought that a special 12-person committee commissioned to render final judgments on Negro Leagues and pre-Negro Leagues figures would make him a shoo-in for the Baseball Hall of Fame. It would be, his many fans all thought, a fitting tribute to the entire body of his life's work.

But when word came from Florida that day that 16 men and one woman had been voted in, he was not among them. For reasons never fully explained, he fell one vote short of the required three-fourths.

Several hundred of his friends and admirers had gathered at the Negro Leagues Museum for what they thought would be a celebration. Instead, they stood in awkward, restless silence as the old man once again -- for how many times in his long, eventful life? -- brushed bitterness aside.

"Shed no tears for Buck," he told them. "I couldn't attend Sarasota High School. That hurt. I couldn't attend the University of Florida. That hurt. But not going into the Hall of Fame, that ain't going to hurt me that much, no. Before, I wouldn't even have a chance. But this time I had that chance.

"Just keep loving old Buck," he said. :thumdown: :thumdown:

It's a sad, sad day, baseball fans. :cry:

-Kevin

RTKar
10-07-06, 08:54 AM
Saw it in the paper this morning. There aren't many of the old time black ball players left. Met one this past summer, it was like talking to a part of history. Like WW2 vets, I'm sorry to see them go. :(

TravelGal
10-07-06, 05:00 PM
It boggles the mind that he was not inducted. That, and this, are both sad, sad, days. :(

pineapple
10-07-06, 10:48 PM
Sad news. Buck was a great ambassador for baseball. The induction committee missed a great opportunity to add someone of immense stature to the Hall.

The Negro League Museum in Kansas City is a must-stop for anyone interested in the history of baseball.