PDA

View Full Version : Yet another reason why the league is lame as @#$#

Ankf00
10-06-06, 05:02 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9709450

Earlier this week the league's vice president of officiating, Mike Pereira, sent a memo to the NFL's 32 clubs notifying them that officials would start acting to prevent offenses from gaining competitive advantages by making last-second personnel changes...
But when offenses rush substitutes on to the field and hurry to the line of scrimmage -- specifically to outman surprised opponents -- it's a competitive advantage, and the league wanted to end the practice.

seriously, should we have a massive whiteboard display to diagram the offensive personnel package & formation to be run?

i mean, that's only fair, right?

chop456
10-06-06, 05:24 PM
Lame.

Gnam
10-06-06, 06:00 PM
What about icing the kicker, or a hard snap count? Refs can't improve the game.

nrc
10-06-06, 07:14 PM
Next they'll outlaw the no-huddle. Sam Wyche, see what you did? :p

nrc
10-06-06, 07:19 PM
Actually, now that I think about it, I it's nothing new. Back when Sam Wyche was running the no-huddle the league mandated that if Cincy substituted they had to allow the other team the opportunity to substitute.

Insomniac
10-06-06, 09:52 PM
This is a good/fair rule. I don't want to see cheap 5 yard penalties. Line up and play. And while Dungy is crying, it would be nice if his team didn't go for the cheap 5 yards as well.

Insomniac
10-06-06, 09:55 PM
Also, it's about time the defense got something to go their way.

Spicoli
10-06-06, 11:15 PM
i thought this was a racing forum, not a hiny ass bithsch foruma bout stoopid football rules forum.

and you wonder why the "community forum" is bigger than the racing forum?

:gomer:

get me over it.

nrc
10-07-06, 12:05 AM
This is a good/fair rule. I don't want to see cheap 5 yard penalties. Line up and play. And while Dungy is crying, it would be nice if his team didn't go for the cheap 5 yards as well.

Do you mean "line up and play" or do you mean "Oh wait, let me substitute my best players for the situation and then line up and play."

It's one thing if the offense substitutes and doesn't give the defense a chance to do the same. It's something else entirely if the offense has to sit and wait for the defense to substitute. Those "cheap 5 yards penalties" are how no-huddle teams force defenses to "line up and play."

dando
10-07-06, 12:26 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, I it's nothing new. Back when Sam Wyche was running the no-huddle the league mandated that if Cincy substituted they had to allow the other team the opportunity to substitute.

That's pretty much the way I read it. It's one of the anit-Wyche measures of of the late 80s. :\ I do agree with not allowing 12 men in the huddle, tho. IMHO< the NFL is way over managed. Someone on top needs to take a step back and view the game from a fans perspective. :shakehead

-Kevin

Lizzerd
10-07-06, 01:01 AM
Last second subs AND rushing to the line I can understand. But hurrying to the line to run the next play, if time is scarce, and making a legal snap should not be messed with. Keep in mind, this is coming from a Colts fan...

And I agree that 12 in the huddle is unacceptable.

Insomniac
10-07-06, 11:40 AM
Do you mean "line up and play" or do you mean "Oh wait, let me substitute my best players for the situation and then line up and play."

It's one thing if the offense substitutes and doesn't give the defense a chance to do the same. It's something else entirely if the offense has to sit and wait for the defense to substitute. Those "cheap 5 yards penalties" are how no-huddle teams force defenses to "line up and play."

I mean line up and play. In this case, what happened was the Jets were no huddle, and they would quickly substitute guys and line up. Indianapolis then needed to change their players accordingly. However, since the Jets were no huddle, they were lined up and ready and Indy had to use a time out.

So yes, the Jets would have to sit and wait in this case. I'm not a fan of Dungy or the Colts, but they did the right thing. There was a rule, and then it was rewritten some and people still obeyed the spirit of it. Dungy said, hey, I want this clear, is this allowed? If so, we'll use it too. And you know, if the league said yes, this is fine, then I'd be okay with that too. Then every team would have to be prepared for it when on defense.

I'd also agree with anyone who would say Dungy was underprepared and it's his fault. And would also agree that the Jets were maing full use of the rules.

Also, you are right about the cheap 5-yard penalties being the way they force teams to play, still doesn't mean I have to like it. I didn't like it when Indy did it, and when my team did it, I still thought it was cheap. It's smart, but's cheap. And it's not that they snap it, it's that they just take a knee or throw the play away. If you catch them like that, take advantage, like when you know you had offsides and you can take that deep shot downfield.