PDA

View Full Version : So you think your home theater's cool?

RacinM3
10-06-06, 04:06 PM
Some here may know what I do for a living....I own a small architectural specialties company; we do things like walls that move (like you'd find in a hotel ballroom) and movable glass walls, among other things.

We've done a lot of work for the Hollywood-types - studios, executives, etc. The other day I got a call from a woman who wants to do a couple of sliding glass walls in her house....the things are expensive, like $250 a square foot (do the math on a 20' x 10' opening :eek: ), so I always cringe a little when a "homeowner" calls - I'd much rather work for companies rather than individuals.

Regardless, I head over to her place in the Hollywood Hills. She calls me in the car, and says she has to run out but her husband can show me what they want to do. I get there, he answers the door. Nice guy, unassuming, and we go over the specifics. While I'm there, I notice a pair of doors leading to what is obviously a very large, dimly lit room. I ask him what it is, and he offers to show me.

We go in, and it's a movie theater. Not a home theater, a movie theater, only without the seats. Mid room, there's a huge mixing console, in front of that is just floor space until the screen, and behind the console are maybe 20 plush leather chairs. There was something playing on the screen; I asked what it was and he says "something New Line sent over". Obviously I'm in the home of someone who's "someone" in the industry.

Like I said, I do a lot of entertainment stuff....but this guy's house rivalled anything I've ever seen at ANY studio.

I did a search on him after I got back to the office. He's got over 90 movies to his name as a sound editor. In my searches, I ran across a pic of the space....

http://www.euphonix.com/post/s5_installs/jross_dub_01_700.jpg

A link to the page describing his system: http://www.euphonix.com/post/s5_installs/jross.htm

Obviously, not your average home theater guy, as it's his livelihood (his business and employees work out of his house - there were 4 other small screening/mixing rooms with HD flat panel displays), but damn, imagine heading in there with a few friends and a few drinks, and watching your favorite flick!

Oh, and in the pic above...displayed on the screen....that's the guy's view from his pool deck....:cry:

racer2c
10-06-06, 04:17 PM
:eek:

devilmaster
10-06-06, 04:17 PM
:cool: cool.

It reminded me of that other theatre from a couple years ago....

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=97411

Spicoli
10-06-06, 05:00 PM
Is his daughter hot?:D

RacinM3
10-06-06, 05:39 PM
I'll include that question in my proposal for you, Spicoli. :thumbup:

spinner26
10-06-06, 05:57 PM
Just guessing, he's good for the money if you do the job.;)

cart7
10-06-06, 10:16 PM
:eek: Jeezus!! Does that room have Warp drive by any chance?

Lizzerd
10-06-06, 10:37 PM
That room probably (definately) cost him more than my entire house cost me.

Mr. Vengeance
10-07-06, 10:08 PM
Is his daughter hot?:D

Would it matter?

manic mechanic
10-07-06, 11:11 PM
Hey M3,

Do ya think you could word "a private screening of Le Mans for 20 of your internet gearhead friends in that room" into the contract? :D

I'd make the drive if invited...;)

AND I'd bring beer!

manic

oddlycalm
10-08-06, 01:35 PM
Nice room, nice mixing desk. If you have to work long hours on tight deadlines, this is the way to do it. :thumbup: And, because it's an office and not a HT, the styling is clean as opposed to the.... well, you've all seen them.

oc