PDA

View Full Version : Best New Series?

nrc
10-06-06, 01:22 PM
So what's the best new show on TV this fall? RaceGrrl and I have sampled Jericho and Heros both of which are worth a second look. No spoilers please, we're a week behind on our TiVo viewing.

Gangrel
10-06-06, 01:39 PM
So what's the best new show on TV this fall? RaceGrrl and I have sampled Jericho and Heros both of which are worth a second look. No spoilers please, we're a week behind on our TiVo viewing.

Dexter. Without a doubt. :D

Robstar
10-06-06, 01:45 PM
We don't have Heros here just yet but Mrs & I watched Jericho Thursday night... not too chablis... :thumbup:

TKGAngel
10-06-06, 02:08 PM
Studio 60.
Bradley Whitford + Matthew Perry + Aaron Sorkin = 1 good hour of television.

coolhand
10-06-06, 02:13 PM
Studio 60.

really? I watched 15 minutes of it and assumed this thing would be cancelled by Christmas

Ankf00
10-06-06, 02:15 PM
I thought Jericho was atrocious, cliched & horribly written... the episode you'll catch up next to will have you go :saywhat:?!

Friday Night Lights was predictable & cliche, but maybe it'll get better now that they've gotten the pilot out of the way. Don't really care much to watch a show about high school though.

I'm liking the concept behind Heroes, and they're making it somewhat interesting, Studio 60's alright too, some of the christian bashing is just taking away from the show but the dialogue's great as usual for a Sorkin show.

Looks like Lost is still better than all the new stuff, "predictable" is the last adjective that will ever be used for this show.

Lost, Scrubs & 24 will remain the only things I watch somewhat regularly (really only 24) if Heroes doesn't pan out

TKGAngel
10-06-06, 02:16 PM
really? I watched 15 minutes of it and assumed this thing would be cancelled by Christmas

I would watch the yellow pages being read if Sorkin wrote it, so I'm a little biased. :)

Besides, half the fun of the show is watching and trying to figure out where Sorkin's recycled his dialogue or situations from.

Ankf00
10-06-06, 02:16 PM

I'm sure you said the same thing about West Wing

you were just put off by the christian bashing, which I agree is overboard, distracting, and not even amusing at this point.

dando
10-06-06, 02:17 PM
I picked the worst show this season as soon as I saw the promos for Hostage. First show to be cancelled. I generally find network TV passe, so The Office and Earl are the only shows I follow on network TV. Studio 60 looked somewhat interesting, but I haven't watched it yet (I usually wait for 2-3 shows to record b4 I dig into a new series ala Deadwood).

-Kevin

coolhand
10-06-06, 02:23 PM
I'm sure you said the same thing about West Wing

you were just put off by the christian bashing, which I agree is overboard, distracting, and not even amusing at this point.

never saw the west wing, or did i note the Christian bashing, I only watched about 15 minutes of it.

The only shows I scheduel my time around now are Lost and South Park.

nrc
10-06-06, 02:32 PM
Scheduling time around TV shows? That's so early nineties. :)

http://www.maclive.net/UserFiles/Image/icons/tivo_icon.png

racer2c
10-06-06, 02:34 PM
Is this just for network shows? Yes, it's first season was last year but HBO's Big Love is my favorite (ok, second behind Soprano's) thing on TV. Unique, unpredictable, splendid acting, well written = really good show.

Last night my wife and I watched our first episode of Grays Anatomy. My wife's friend at her work said she had to check it out because she thinks the lead actress is the spitting image of my wife and that they even act the same (which they don't on both accounts). As for the show, after 20 minutes we looked at each other and said "they'll put anything on TV these days". And this POS is supposed to be critically acclaimed.
Whatever, network writers are too busy blogging on the internet than writting original scripts.

vancouver
10-06-06, 02:36 PM
Is Desperate Housewives - Season 3 worth a look? It starts soon

Ankf00
10-06-06, 02:37 PM

werd :thumbup:

coolhand
10-06-06, 02:39 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/5128/tivoiconsn6.png (http://imageshack.us)

KLang
10-06-06, 02:43 PM
Jericho is the only one I bothered to try. First episode was OK but I can't figure out how they will make an entire series out of it. Have to get caught up this weekend.

Boston Legal is the only other network show I watch regularly. Plus a bit on the SciFi channel.

TravelGal
10-06-06, 03:02 PM
Last night my wife and I watched our first episode of Grays Anatomy. My wife's friend at her work said she had to check it out because she thinks the lead actress is the spitting image of my wife and that they even act the same (which they don't on both accounts). As for the show, after 20 minutes we looked at each other and said "they'll put anything on TV these days". And this POS is supposed to be critically acclaimed.
Whatever, network writers are too busy blogging on the internet than writting original scripts.

Whew, I thought I was the only person on the planet that could not sit through an entire episode of Gray's Anatomy. I tried once the first year and once the second. I get twitchy because I think it's so awful.

We tape (or tivo) everything and my seminar schedule is so brutal at this time of year that we get behind. We just saw "Shark." Good pilot but then, I like James Woods as an actor. "Kidnapped" was not as bad as I thought it would be, whatever that means. Cool to see Jeremy Sisto go from one extreme (the Passion....) to another. Enjoyed the Studio 60 but I like all the inside Hollywood jokes. Not sure if they translate further than 100 miles away. We've been watching "Justice" which is the low rent version of "Shark." I like Victor Garber, what else can I say?

Speaking of Alias, we are still waiting to see "Heros." It's in the next group to watch I think. I hope it works because Greg Grunberg has to be one of the nicest people in all of showbiz and a good actor if given the chance to do more than stare at Sidney Bristow.

As for returning series, no one has mentioned "House." Back to being good this year after an off year last year, I thought.

edit: PS, you're also right, IMHO, about the blogging. That sort of stuff is what nearly killed Desperate Housewives last year. James Denton has said that this year is more like the first year with one major story and a little more humor. Might be too little too late for me. I'll give it 3 eps.

Elmo T
10-06-06, 03:06 PM
Studio 60.

Well written and well acted, but I don't know if I care yet.

I still haven't gotten over the loss of Sports Night (another Sorkin project) or Homicide - Life on the Street. :flame:

The Wire :thumbup:

RHR_Fan
10-06-06, 03:14 PM
The only new show I've seen so far is "The Class." It's not a bad show, but I don't know if I'll make time to watch it every week.

~Nicole

Gnam
10-06-06, 03:41 PM
Homicide - Life on the Street. :thumbup:

reruns of the first two seasons on the Sleuth Channel - 308 DirecTV.

Funny how tv shows today have to compete against tv shows from the past not just in peoples memories but in the same time slot.

oddlycalm
10-06-06, 03:46 PM
Not really fair to compare shows like "Dexter" and "The Wire," both of which are outstanding, with network shows. They are very well written and well acted, but don't have to answer to affiliates and sponsors. Both are way beyond what would ever be allowed on network TV, though "Homicide: Life On The Street" came pretty close to "The Wire" some ways.

They also go into it knowing they won't be pre-empted, repeated beginning after week 5, shifted to a different time slot, then cancelled after 9 episodes. Why should the audience bother to invest their time if there's no similar commitment from the network? Where the network has made a commitment to not screw around with the scheduling, such as with "24," the result has been very positive, so one wonders why they don't seem to get it.

oc

Wabbit
10-06-06, 03:55 PM
Jericho - kinda interesting. Looks like they are setting a bunch of things up, hopefully there will be some more action coming. A lot of plot lines have you going :confused: :saywhat: I like the Kinderdarden teacher. :D

Heroes - Looks interesting, still going :confused: to some of the plot. Hopefully things will shake loose soon before I get disinterested. The cheerleader is pretty hot.

Gangrel
10-06-06, 04:27 PM
Not really fair to compare shows like "Dexter" and "The Wire," both of which are outstanding, with network shows. They are very well written and well acted, but don't have to answer to affiliates and sponsors. Both are way beyond what would ever be allowed on network TV, though "Homicide: Life On The Street" came pretty close to "The Wire" some ways.

They also go into it knowing they won't be pre-empted, repeated beginning after week 5, shifted to a different time slot, then cancelled after 9 episodes. Why should the audience bother to invest their time if there's no similar commitment from the network? Where the network has made a commitment to not screw around with the scheduling, such as with "24," the result has been very positive, so one wonders why they don't seem to get it.

oc

All true, but I never saw the word "network" in the thread heading or the original question. Dexter is, without a doubt for me, the best new show going. I had been waiting weeks to see the first episode, and the hook was set on me less than 20 minutes in. What's not to like about a blood spatter expert working for the Miami-Dade Police by day and offing serial killers by night? :D

House is still the best show on network TV, Prison Break was great last year, but is losing steam, still waiting anxiously for the start of 24, Jericho is a dog....The Shield is going to rock next year, but I am a bit concerned about where they are going with Rescue Me after how they ended last season...

chop456
10-06-06, 04:42 PM
Korgoth of Barbaria.

RacinM3
10-06-06, 04:43 PM
Studio 60 seems like a good show. I haven't seen that much actual christian bashing, just talk "about" christian bashing. And it seems appropriate considering the disconnect many religious folks feel from Hollywood. In fact, one of the characters seems to be a devout christian so the storyline about her living in that environment appears to big a key part of the storyline.

I agree that the show plays well here in LA but may end up a blip on the radar screens in places like Kansas.

coolhand
10-06-06, 07:04 PM
werd :thumbup:

Check that, I forgot Entourage which I have recently gotten into.

oddlycalm
10-09-06, 03:17 PM
Got to thinking that a fun part (or depressing, depending on how you look at it) of this thread might have been the odds that those favorite network shows have of actually making it through season one.

The first casualties of the new season are (drum roll on that empty Castrol drum please) "Smith" and "Kidnapped." The network is giving "Kidnapped" 13 weeks to wrap up the story line while "Smith" is already gone and in it's place will be CSI reruns.

oc

Dr. Corkski
10-09-06, 03:29 PM
I hope Dexter goes and kills David Caruso.

Ankf00
10-09-06, 03:39 PM
Studio 60 seems like a good show. I haven't seen that much actual christian bashing, just talk "about" christian bashing. And it seems appropriate considering the disconnect many religious folks feel from Hollywood. In fact, one of the characters seems to be a devout christian so the storyline about her living in that environment appears to big a key part of the storyline.

I agree that the show plays well here in LA but may end up a blip on the radar screens in places like Kansas.

it's not so much that mocking religion in and of itself is bothersome, it's that it hasn't been funny thus far. the "science schmience" skit was just painful. if you're going to show a skit, at least make it moderately humorous, or just don't show it at all.

re: insider jokes, I guess Studio 60 is akin to King of the Hill in that respect, everyone finds the show amusing, but only the folks from one state actually understand it all ;)

Tifosi24
10-09-06, 03:47 PM
it's not so much that mocking religion in and of itself is bothersome, it's that it hasn't been funny thus far. the "science schmience" skit was just painful. if you're going to show a skit, at least make it moderately humorous, or just don't show it at all.

re: insider jokes, I guess Studio 60 is akin to King of the Hill in that respect, everyone finds the show amusing, but only the folks from one state actually understand it all ;)

I haven't had the chance to watch any of this show, but I have heard it is based a little bit of SNL. So, if that is the case then we should expect skits not to be funny, thus making the show more realistic.

TrueBrit
10-09-06, 03:53 PM
Studio 60: Thumbs way, way, WAY up! (love the christian-bashing, in fact I can't get enough)
Jericho: Thumbs up. Several little sub-plots developing that keep me hooked.
Heroes: Thumbsup + Thumbsdown. Simply because I have no clue wtf is going on..especially with that hot blonde bird....
Kidnapped: Thumbsup, but already cancelled...remaining episodes to air on Saturday nights
Shark: Thumbsdown. Stupid premise, dreadful (over) acting, next to be cancelled.

(Not new but new actors) Law & Order (The Original) New Detective :thumbup: New A.D.A. :thumdown: (Waaaaaay too bitchy).
Law and Order C.I. Not sure I can get used to freckles...and DEFINITELY missing Anabella....

Insomniac
10-09-06, 04:10 PM
I tend to give some things a shot. So far, new shows I'm still watching are:

Brothers & Sisters - I'm not sure where I sit on this show. I've seen 2 more episodes. I'll probably watch 2 more and make a decision.

Vanished - I like this show. Goes well with Prison Break (and then 24). I like much better than Kidnapped and Runaway.

Heroes - Good show, It has started out well (So did Surface last year).

Studio 60 - I really like this one. Good cast, well done.

The Class - It has me laughing out loud. It's a sitcom (not smart comedy/single camera).

Friday Night Lights - I watched the first episode, it was okay. Like a mix of Remeber the Titans and Varsity Blues. I'll watch again, but I'm doubtful on this one.

Justice - Not that great a show, I just like Victor Garber. I don't like how they show the "crime" at the end.

Kidnapped - I was going to bail on this, then NBC cut it to 13 episodes and moved it to Saturday. So at least the fate won't be like Reunion last year.

The Nine - Only one episode so far. It's interesting. Fits with Lost.

Shows I tried but abandoned:

Runaway - Seemed really slow. I just didn't care. I bailed after 1 episode.

Standoff - Watched a few, it bored me.

Smith - I bailed on this. Real slow. Looks like it was a smart move. CBS pulled it for October. I can't see it coming back for November sweeps.

Six Degrees - Watched 1.25 episodes. Bored.

Insomniac
10-09-06, 04:15 PM

I never thought the show was supposed to be funny. More drama than comedy.

Ankf00
10-09-06, 04:21 PM
yea, but a skit's supposed to be funny, it's about a comedy show after all. plus they incorporate plenty of humor in each episode, so that excuse doesn't fly.

TrueBrit
10-09-06, 04:30 PM
yea, but a skit's supposed to be funny, it's about a comedy show after all. plus they incorporate plenty of humor in each episode, so that excuse doesn't fly.

That sketch was effin' hilarious!!! Are you mad?

Ankf00
10-09-06, 04:48 PM
the sketch was shittier than Ohio Chili.

TrueBrit
10-09-06, 04:50 PM
the sketch was shittier than Ohio Chili.

You obviously saw a different sketch than me then mate, it was a brilliant cut-down of backward-ass holy-rollers, in a true SNL type fashion....

Ankf00
10-09-06, 04:59 PM
yep, true SNL fashion, completely boring, unimaginative, drawn out, and unfunny :p :D

Robstar
10-09-06, 07:27 PM
Entourage

:thumbup: :thumbup:

indyfan31
10-09-06, 08:34 PM
Nobody's said it, so I will: Eureka.

Gangrel
10-10-06, 02:04 PM
I hope Dexter goes and kills David Caruso.

Hear! Hear! :D

Insomniac
10-11-06, 08:06 AM

TiVo says it'a a Drama. ;)

coolhand
10-30-06, 05:03 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/artsentertainment/2003326572_tv60comment29.html?syndication=rss
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,226092,00.html

I knew I was being easy with my estimate

nrc
10-30-06, 07:06 PM
Interesting that Heroes is considered a "surprise cult hit". They promoted it pretty heavily. Clever strategy doing reruns on SCIFI to pick up the folks who don't watch much network anymore.

TKGAngel
10-30-06, 07:57 PM
Its sad that a show with a good cast, a good writer and a good producer hasn't lived up to expectations. I like Studio 60, but has been a bit patronizing at times, especially with last week's bit about a couple from Columbus not knowing 'Who's on First.' :rolleyes:

nrc
12-06-06, 03:20 AM
BTW, the correct answer was "Heroes". Interesting characters, interesting story, the plot develops every episode and there plenty of twists without making the whole thing seem contrived. Add to that the fact that it's one of the best looking shows in HD and we have a winner. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

KLang
12-06-06, 07:53 AM
I'm still enjoying Jericho, although I admit I don't know what the heck is going on half the time. They are supposed to be releasing new content on the web during the mid-season break. WTF is up with shows taking a mid-season break nowadays?

TKGAngel
12-06-06, 09:02 AM
I'm still enjoying Jericho, although I admit I don't know what the heck is going on half the time. They are supposed to be releasing new content on the web during the mid-season break. WTF is up with shows taking a mid-season break nowadays?

TPTB at the networks feel that 'original programming' such as reality shows, or even new comedies/dramas do better in the ratings than repeats of current shows. The one good trend that I have noticed is that cable networks will sometimes pick up reruns of the show during the original run. For example, Heroes re-runs are on the Sci-Fi network.

BTW,Heroes is a great show. The co-workers got me hooked on it.

Insomniac
12-06-06, 09:52 AM

I think in the last couple years they saw repeat ratings and viewer complaints go up when re-airing shows that basically continue a story episode to episode. You'll notice those are typically the shows that have scheduled breaks. I also think that's why CBS is doing so well. Almost all of their crime shows can be watched without needing to know what happened previously. And why they repeat them on different nights as well.

Ankf00
12-06-06, 12:38 PM
BTW, the correct answer was "Heroes". Interesting characters, interesting story, the plot develops every episode and there plenty of twists without making the whole thing seem contrived. Add to that the fact that it's one of the best looking shows in HD and we have a winner. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

boss speaketh truth :thumbup:

serialized dramas were the show du jour for this season, most of them have already been canned, the nine, vanished, kidnapped, etc.

good to see Heroes with solid ratings, supposedly there's going to be 3 story arcs for the season.

Insomniac
12-06-06, 02:21 PM
boss speaketh truth :thumbup:

serialized dramas were the show du jour for this season, most of them have already been canned, the nine, vanished, kidnapped, etc.

good to see Heroes with solid ratings, supposedly there's going to be 3 story arcs for the season.

The Nine is technically "on hiatus" (for now).

KLang
05-23-07, 01:32 PM
CBS cancels Jericho :flame: and the fans say nuts (http://www.nutsonline.com/jericho) :D

Over 9000 pounds delivered or on the way so far. :laugh:

Ankf00
05-23-07, 01:48 PM
Heroes finale was a major let down, Lost better not follow suit tonight :flame:

And screw TiVo, evil little bugger, before he came aruond I never watched tv shows much. TiVo's like crack and college football, all mixed into one.

Insomniac
05-23-07, 01:51 PM

And screw TiVo, evil little bugger, before he came aruond I never watched tv shows much. TiVo's like crack and college football, all mixed into one.

24 was lame too (all season as well).

Heh, I think I watch less TV. I have the shows I like and that's it. I no longer just watch from 8-11 ET. No repeats either.

Brian_R
05-23-07, 02:04 PM
24 this season was definitely a disappointment. And they left the little open hole for Jack's dad to roll his wounded self into the powerboat with that chip and survive into next season. Either it's just me or I'm really starting to figure out these plot twists way to far ahead of time... :shakehead

nrc
05-23-07, 03:40 PM

Yeah, Missy and I were talking about that. I can accept it. (spoiler warning) The big question was why Peter didn't just fly away himself. I guess the fact that he was "out of control" is a plausible answer.

I think the same things that made the series itself good made the finale a letdown. The plot moved ahead each week and all the twists were plausible and didn't seem contrived. It's like "Who killed Sarah Palmer?" How do you build all that up and then have an actual climax at the end?

Ha. Tivo is giving you choices. It's up to you what you do with them. Your secret "Dancing with the Stars" addiction is not Tivo's problem. :p

Ankf00
05-23-07, 03:48 PM
The big question was why Peter didn't just fly away himself. I guess the fact that he was "out of control" is a plausible answer.

*snip*

How do you build all that up and then have an actual climax at the end?
I don't know, but I was hoping for more of a battle between the two, like in the 5 years in the future episode, only x10 :)

And I figured Nathan could just shoot Peter and let Claire do her thing for him. Despite the finale, overall I still think it was an excellent season. Next season's teaser was intriguing, no doubt.

Ha. Tivo is giving you choices. It's up to you what you do with them. Your secret "Dancing with the Stars" addiction is not Tivo's problem. :p:sigh: I know...

Wabbit
05-23-07, 04:05 PM
I think there is a big flaw in the finale of Heroes (and the one before too). I have to go back and watch String Theory and Homecoming again to be sure.

I was a little diappointed in the end as well. I have to admit it didn't end like I thought it would.

TKGAngel
05-23-07, 04:09 PM

I didn't have a problem with Heroes, since it dealt with a lot of things while simultaneously setting up next season. The one finale that disappointed me the most was Grey's Anatomy. The episode was too depressing for a show that's supposed to be a lighthearted version of ER (speaking of which, my jaw hit the floor while watching that finale).

The only finale I was kind of happy with was The Office, which had knocked the past couple episodes out of the park. I really wish their new season started right away.

Ank, you know Lost isn't back on the schedule until February 2008, right?

Ankf00
05-23-07, 04:28 PM
Lost, 2 hour finale tonight. abc.com

nrc
05-23-07, 04:29 PM
CBS cancels Jericho :flame: and the fans say nuts (http://www.nutsonline.com/jericho) :D

Over 9000 pounds delivered or on the way so far. :laugh:

I don't think you should be allowed to do a season finale cliff hanger and not do at least one wrap-up episode. I enjoyed Jericho, but I think they could do a satisfactory wrap-up in four episodes.

I'm more disappointed about Raines. I thought it was an interesting character and Jeff Goldblum was excellent in it.

TKGAngel
05-23-07, 04:34 PM
Lost, 2 hour finale tonight. abc.com

After tonight, no Lost until February 2008.

Ankf00
05-23-07, 05:30 PM
yea, that sucks, but at least it'll be 16 straight weeks, no breaks.

oddlycalm
05-23-07, 06:35 PM
And screw TiVo, evil little bugger, before he came aruond I never watched tv shows much. TiVo's like crack and college football, all mixed into one. Dewd, all TiVo did was load the gun and hand it to you, it's your decision where to point it and whether to pull the trigger or not...:gomer:

Agreed on the 'Heroes' finale, pretty weak stuff. Fortunately 'The Shield' has had a good season and it looks like HBO has some decent stuff coming.

oc

Gnam
05-23-07, 07:23 PM
I don't think you should be allowed to do a season finale cliff hanger and not do at least one wrap-up episode. I enjoyed Jericho, but I think they could do a satisfactory wrap-up in four episodes.
I wouldn't call Jericho's ending a cliffhanger. Almost every question was answered by that last episode, at least the ones that made the show interesting. IMO, canceling the show probably saved it.

I'm looking forward to the return of "Sunny in Philadelphia".

Insomniac
05-23-07, 08:33 PM
Yeah, Missy and I were talking about that. I can accept it. (spoiler warning) The big question was why Peter didn't just fly away himself. I guess the fact that he was "out of control" is a plausible answer.

Tim Kring said you need to suspend disbelief on that one. They wanted to have Nathan do somethiung heroic, so Peter couldn't use his other powers while in melt down.

Insomniac
05-23-07, 08:34 PM
24 this season was definitely a disappointment. And they left the little open hole for Jack's dad to roll his wounded self into the powerboat with that chip and survive into next season. Either it's just me or I'm really starting to figure out these plot twists way to far ahead of time... :shakehead

I know they left that wide open, but I'm thinking it's over. They are talking about big changes for next season.

Insomniac
05-23-07, 08:39 PM
I don't know, but I was hoping for more of a battle between the two, like in the 5 years in the future episode, only x10 :)

I assume they can still have it happen given the ending of Volume 1.

Insomniac
05-23-07, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't call Jericho's ending a cliffhanger. Almost every question was answered by that last episode, at least the ones that made the show interesting. IMO, canceling the show probably saved it.

I'm looking forward to the return of "Sunny in Philadelphia".

Rescue Me too! :)

Robstar
05-23-07, 09:30 PM
Heroes finale was a major let down

It was boring until the last 10 mins which I thought were pretty cool...

nrc
05-24-07, 02:59 AM
Rescue Me too! :)

That's great. I thought that one was done for good. :thumbup:

KLang
05-24-07, 10:15 AM

I still haven’t gotten around to watching the second half of the season. These long mid-season breaks really dampen my enthusiasm for a show.

I am getting a kick out of the ‘Nuts’ campaign. :laugh:
CBS has said they are looking into doing 'something' to tie up the story.

Insomniac
05-24-07, 04:23 PM
That's great. I thought that one was done for good. :thumbup:

Supposed to be back June 30.

Some other dates for some other returning shows this summer:

May 24 Tonight!
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

June 10
The Loop

June 11
Big Love

June 17
The Dead Zone
The 4400

June 18
The Closer

July 13
Monk
Psych

July 30
The Minor Accomplishments of Jackie Woodman

July
Brotherhood

August 13
Weeds

September
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Insomniac
05-24-07, 04:24 PM
Ohhh, and Lost Finale. :eek: Awesome.

TrueBrit
05-24-07, 05:03 PM
I still haven’t gotten around to watching the second half of the season. These long mid-season breaks really dampen my enthusiasm for a show.

I am getting a kick out of the ‘Nuts’ campaign. :laugh:
CBS has said they are looking into doing 'something' to tie up the story.

I am really peeved about the cancellation of Jericho. It was one of my 'appointment' shows during the week...Also getting a laugh out of the 'nuts' campaign...as well as an online petition that has over 78k signatures so far...

Ideally I don't want CBS to do anything with the show, I'd like another network to pick it up and run with it....but I'll take a "wrap-up" over just being left in suspense...

Proof positive that as well as the moronic hire of Katie 'Perky' Couric to do the evening news, CBS actually stands for C ompletely B loody S tupid...

Insomniac
05-24-07, 05:35 PM
Proof positive that as well as the moronic hire of Katie 'Perky' Couric to do the evening news, CBS actually stands for C ompletely B loody S tupid...

These nets were the season leaders in key ratings categories, with Fox prevailing for a third straight year in the industry's most coveted ratings category -- adults 18-49 -- while CBS made it four straight in adults 25-54 and five in a row in total viewers.

They might disagree. ;)

oddlycalm
05-24-07, 06:17 PM
May 24 Tonight!
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip Somewhat interesting story on the dismantling of the multi-million dollar set. Studio 60 set dismantled (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07140/786964-237.stm) I'm still a bit surprised the Sorkin & company thought people would actually care about these characters. :confused:

BTW, I caught the pilot of 'Traveler' which is a college buddies fall into Homeland Security chasm action drama. I'll give it another week before deciding.

oc

TKGAngel
05-24-07, 07:27 PM
I'm still a bit surprised the Sorkin & company thought people would actually care about these characters. :confused:

The network probably thought that people would follow Sorkin. He's written some fairly well known stuff that's been both critically and fan acclaimed. They probably also thought that people would watch Bradley Whitford and Matthew Perry, although at times it was a bit like watching Chandler Bing and Josh Lyman, not the characters they were supposed to be playing.

That article about the set destroying was pretty interesting. I had read last week that Heroes had wanted to film on the old West Wing set, using the Oval Office set. When the crew went over to stake out the shot, they were surprised that the set had already been torn down. They had to rebuild the whole Oval Office for their shoot.

Lost was pretty amazing last night. I'm definitely going to have to rewatch that one.

SaraKate
05-24-07, 11:35 PM
I read that article too...and wished that somewhere they might have mentioned that Studio 60 would be on tonight after a Scrubs I just happened to set up a reminder for.

Nowhere did they speculate that low viewership might be due to the "practice" of airing a few episodes, substituting another series, showing a few more, putting in something else, then letting it die before showing everything they had already bought. :saywhat:

Watching it tonight I finally could remember why I like it. It's Aaron Sorkin. It's Cal. It's an ensemble show. I don't HAVE to like Harriet. If you paid all that money for an Aaron Sorkin show, why not just air it consistently and let people watch the whole season. :confused:

</soapbox>

Insomniac
05-25-07, 08:42 AM
I read that article too...and wished that somewhere they might have mentioned that Studio 60 would be on tonight after a Scrubs I just happened to set up a reminder for.

Nowhere did they speculate that low viewership might be due to the "practice" of airing a few episodes, substituting another series, showing a few more, putting in something else, then letting it die before showing everything they had already bought. :saywhat:

Watching it tonight I finally could remember why I like it. It's Aaron Sorkin. It's Cal. It's an ensemble show. I don't HAVE to like Harriet. If you paid all that money for an Aaron Sorkin show, why not just air it consistently and let people watch the whole season. :confused:

</soapbox>

They thought The Black Donnellys or The Real Wedding Crashers would do better.

nrc
06-07-07, 02:52 AM
Jericho saved!

http://apnews.myway.com//article/20070606/D8PJISL80.html

"You got our attention; your emails and collective voice have been heard," Tassler wrote, and seven episodes have been ordered for midseason 2007-08. "In success, there is the potential for more. But, for there to be more 'Jericho,' we will need more viewers."

KLang
06-07-07, 06:50 AM
Jericho saved!

After 40,000 pounds of nuts, CBS cries UNCLE! :D :laugh: Now I just have to find the time to watch the second half of the first season.

I wonder how many of the actors are still available for a partial season next year. :irked:

Wabbit
06-07-07, 10:56 AM
After 40,000 pounds of nuts, CBS cries UNCLE! :D :laugh: Now I just have to find the time to watch the second half of the first season.

I wonder how many of the actors are still available for a partial season next year. :irked:

All the majors characters will be returning.

Did you see the P.S. on the CBS announcement:

http://jerichoboard.cbs.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=CBSMBJericho&tid=13329&redirCnt=1

P.S. Please stop sending us nuts :)

oddlycalm
06-07-07, 02:49 PM
"We are tired of the networks (not just CBS) tossing aside quality programming," There's a phrase that bears repeating loudly and often.

CBS also likely took into consideration the dent a long hiatus put in the show's viewership, the same scheduling misstep Yes, the same very predictable misstep, among others, that has killed countless quality series over the years. Gotta make room for two months of "holiday specials" and repeats after all. :shakehead Clearly in an age of cable/satellite channels this "conventional wisdom" doesn't rise above the level of stubborn stupidity.

The display of fan enthusiasm included the delivery of 50,000 pounds of peanuts to its New York offices The 25 tons of peanuts was a nice touch, and efffective, but 25 tons of rapidly rotting raw fish would have been more appropriate given the level of respect these land sharks have for their audience and the casts and crews of the shows they air. :D

oc

Insomniac
06-07-07, 04:14 PM
Blame unscripted television.