PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

vancouver
10-04-06, 07:52 AM
How did you come up with your off camber name?

Do you use the same username on other forums?

A few that I would like explained...;)

Opposite Lock

Gangrel

Spicoli

nrc

Sean O'Gorman. WTF would anyone want to call themselves that :gomer:

rabbit
10-04-06, 08:02 AM
I'll play.

Rabbit was the nickname of a childhood friend of mine named Travis Miller who used to race Sprint Cars. When he started racing, he was horribly slow through the turns and his crew started calling him "Turtle." They told him if he ever learned how to be fast, they would call him Rabbit. Well, he finally got the hang of it and even won a track championship at Eldora in '94 (I think).

Tragically he was killed in a bizarre motorcycle accident two weeks after Greg Moore's death. He was riding with his dad when a deer ran out in front of him. He went over the handle bars and landed, relatively uninjured, next to the center line. At that moment, a drunk driver driving left of center ran over him ad killed him.

To this day you still see Travis "Rabbit" Miller t-shirts at the track.

Spicoli
10-04-06, 08:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUkl-cJVpWg

people say i look like spicoli when i smile.

vancouver
10-04-06, 08:25 AM
i missed out Lizzerd

Turn7
10-04-06, 08:36 AM

Wow, I never knew that. I had always thought it had something to do with your Mexican/Italian heritage.

WickerBill
10-04-06, 08:38 AM
WickerBill - dumb. just dumb. I'd say I picked it when drunk but I don't drink. My name's not Bill, I have no relatives named Bill. I suppose it's better than "TearOff" or "TireBlister". Marginally.

Laguna - shortened from my favorite road course. "Seca" sounded dumb...er than Laguna.

rosawendel
10-04-06, 08:41 AM
rosavelt / the wendel brothers.

a former cleveland band of which i had close ties. after enjoying much local success and some regional, the band has pretty much disbanded, although there's still a rosavelt web page (gee, i wonder what it is).

i've had the name since 7g days. never bothered to change it.

Opposite Lock
10-04-06, 08:41 AM
I chose “Opposite Lock” because “Denith” was already taken.

There isn’t really any special reason behind my choice of handle, and in retrospect I kinda wish I’d put a little more thought into it. At the time, I had been lurking at four or five boards for a few months, and one day suddenly decided it was time to sign up at all of them. I wanted to use the same name everywhere, and thought it would be good to use a semi-obscure racing term. “Opposite Lock” popped into my head, and after a quick check to make sure it wasn’t taken at any of the boards - go figure, it wasn't - I quickly claimed it (y’know, to beat the rush to get such a clever and awkward name :gomer: ).

I just always liked the term because of the steering technique of the same name, wherein you turn the wheel the opposite direction of where you are going in order to go through the turn faster. Irony + racing = :cool:
[/blog]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposite_lock

KLang
10-04-06, 09:18 AM
Mine is parts of my actual name, it's easy to remember. :gomer: I use it at all online forums.

SteveH
10-04-06, 09:24 AM
rabbit, terrible story but a nice sentiment to honor him by using his nickname

My name? Obvious, isn't it?

Elmo T
10-04-06, 09:33 AM
An awful nickname that I picked up in grade school. There was a guy who called everyone Elmo and a buddy heard it. It's use has happily faded over time.

I used it at 7G and brought it along here.

Joelski
10-04-06, 09:36 AM
I've had this stupid nickname for years. I've always had Jet Skis; thus the phrase "joelski on the jetski" got shortened. People think I'm Polish, but I get all of my stupidity from being Irish.:)

tllips
10-04-06, 09:56 AM
Mines just a nickname I've had since high school. It's just my initials and the beginning of my last name. I use it on all forums.

Wheel-Nut
10-04-06, 10:09 AM
How did you come up with your off camber name?

Sean O'Gorman. WTF would anyone want to call themselves that :gomer:

It seems you caught on in the past year.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9488

IlliniRacer
10-04-06, 10:12 AM
"Defender" was already taken ;)

I actually got mine from a pair of running shoes. I had a pair of orange and blue Asics racing flats that a friend of mine used to call my "Illini Racers." When I was trying to come up with a username for Peter Burke's old site, it popped into my head.

I now use it on all forums - racing, baseball, geek stuff, etc.

Wabbit
10-04-06, 10:35 AM
Bugs Bunny

'nuff said.

anait
10-04-06, 11:02 AM
Mine's my first name backwards. I use it everywhere. I tried and failed to think of something witty and clever for a screen name. :D

RHR_Fan
10-04-06, 11:09 AM
Ryan Hunter-Reay is one of my favorite drivers. If Christian Fittipaldi was still in CC, I probably would have kept "FittipaldiNut" from 7G. I'll keep using "RHR_Fan" at all places.

~Nicole

Dirty Sanchez
10-04-06, 11:12 AM
uh

racer2c
10-04-06, 11:21 AM
uh

:rofl:

devilmaster
10-04-06, 11:21 AM
I thought I posted this before here, but i can't find it.

I came up with my name when BBS's ruled the day and my modem had a 1200 baud rate. (and if you understand what i just posted, take a drink, cause yer getting old ;) )

Anyways, I was a young kid and looking for a nick that sounds cool to an early teen.

My sister happened to be reading the satanic bible by Anton LaVey for whatever reason (she's a strong RC type) around the same time, so I came up with devilmaster. I liked it back then.

I'm too lazy to change the name, and I don't care what it implies - to me its just a name. If I were to change it, I'd probably go to DM, cause thats what most of you post my name as anyways.

TrueBrit
10-04-06, 11:32 AM
I have absolutely no idea how I came up with mine..none at all....:D

TKGAngel
10-04-06, 12:03 PM
TKG - Team Kool Green (PT was my favorite driver at that time)
Angel - when I joined 7thG, I was in high school. My high school had Angels in the name, so it kind of stuck.

On another non-racing forum, I use Sabretooth as my user name. Its an homage to the big, huggable mascot of the Buffalo Sabres.

Easy
10-04-06, 12:22 PM
One of my nicknames in HS. My first name gets shortened to E, which then became Eazy-E as in NWA. It's kind of lame without my old Eazy-E avatar from fantasy island.

devilmaster
10-04-06, 12:24 PM
One of my nicknames in HS. My first name gets shortened to E, which then became Eazy-E as in NWA. It's kind of lame without my old Eazy-E avatar from fantasy island.

well, that kinda wrecks what my idea on the name was.... :D

Andrew Longman
10-04-06, 12:51 PM
I had absolutely nothing to do with it. Its what my mom gave me. Back at 7G I was registering and the screen asked for a name and so I gave it. I didn't know any better. Really.(OK so that doesn't surprise anyone)

Good thread.

And Opposite Lock and WickerBill make no apologies. Along with Oddlycalm they are among my favorites anywhere. (though WB your real name really should be Bill:gomer: )

Spicoli
10-04-06, 12:59 PM
Wow, I never knew that. I had always thought it had something to do with your Mexican/Italian heritage.

:tony:

Yeah. I am about as Mexi-Talian as you get.:shakehead

:D

oddlycalm
10-04-06, 01:10 PM
So what about vancouver? Family name, or did you choose it because you read about George Vancouver in history class...? ;)

Mine appeared when I dropped my old one (taildragger) from the aviation forums and 7G. When I started I'd been flying taildraggers (as opposed to tri-gear airplanes) for many years, but after I gave it up as time went by and at some point it hardly seemed relevant. Also, there were always a few that imagined I had some sort of profound physical calamity that caused me to drag my ass on the ground. :gomer:

I'd used "oddlycalm" on computer forums for years, most populated (at the time) by mostly younger folks that seemed rather frantic about every minor issue that came along. Back when computers came in multiple refrigerator sized cabinets (and 70% uptime was considered good) I'd learned that computer problems that didn't respond to more beer were generally best approached after a nice nap, hence the "oddlycalm." We even had someone using the handle "predictably frantic" (which he wasn't) for a while, which was a nice counterpoint I thought.

oc

cameraman
10-04-06, 01:16 PM
Many years ago when microscope cameras used this strange stuff called film a single fluorescent image could take 5 minutes to expose. I was spending weeks on end sitting in a darkened closet of a room, finding a useful area of a section, exposing the film, changing the filter set & exposing again then changing to the third filter set and exposing yet again. Repeat, several thousand times. Cameraman seemed pretty obvious at the time.

ferrarigod
10-04-06, 01:27 PM
I have absolutely no idea how I came up with mine..none at all....:D

probably a liberal thing:D

I love Ferrari, and have since I first saw one at Midwestern Auto Group in Dublin as a kid.

Someone called me the Ferrari god because they looked up what kind of tires were on the 1985 308, and I answered with the right profile, width and all. It was on like yahoo chat or something, the kids name was Ferrari king, and since i knew more he said i should be the FerrariGod. So I went with it.

Andrew Longman
10-04-06, 01:34 PM
OC, good story. I have a good friend who at one time was my mentor who taught me a lot about troubleshooting.

He learned much of his craft in the Navy from a guy in Anarctica while fixing electronic doo dads at 50 below.

His line (always said firmly, but calmly) was. "Remember, the most important thing is to not get excited".

Serves me well too.:)

G.
10-04-06, 01:39 PM
Cool stories, great topic!

Me, my first name starts with the letter Q, but I pronounce it like a G.;)

Plus it gives people a fairly reasonable excuse to type "What up, G?" and not look too ridiculous. That's right, I do it for the kids.

(oddlycalm is just about the best nickname ever!)

Warlock!
10-04-06, 01:56 PM
Cause everytime a person masturbates, a warlock gets real angry.

They're always pissed off at my house.

Wheel-Nut
10-04-06, 02:20 PM
Because Wheel-Nut sounds much better than Lug-Nut . . . .

RusH
10-04-06, 02:27 PM
My name is Russell Hendrix, and I have a drinking problem:gomer:

Seriously, A tribute to my favorite band today that is still together...written in a Marquee way.:)

skaven
10-04-06, 03:15 PM
More info than you'd ever need to know about skaven...

wikipedia is cool (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skaven)

extramundane
10-04-06, 03:26 PM
About 6-7 years ago, I signed up for a web forum while listening to this:

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000056O2V.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I needed a username and lack of imagination (and the realization that "Psychosomatica" would probably result in more emails from suicidal goth jailbait than a person needs) led to "extramundane"; laziness has kept it there. I've thought about changing it several times, but I'd only end up with something more stupid (and "Billf00" would be too hackneyed and cliched), and I'm not about to use my real name to spout off all this stupid BS.

Lizzerd
10-04-06, 03:33 PM
Since I've been called out by the thread starter, I guess I have to answer.

Get ready with the delete button, nrc. Naw, I'll be gentle.

Let me just say that several years ago, a former girlfriend called me her favorite lizard just after a moment of ecstasy. You'll have to use your imagination.

I spel it rong to bee differunt.

skaven
10-04-06, 03:53 PM
^^^^ I thought it had to do with your Jim Morrison fetish? Lizard King and all... :confused:

I like that better than the sexual explanation... :yuck:

nrc
10-04-06, 03:53 PM
um, well. It's my initials. Yeah, boring.

I do systems work for a living. Where I used to work the standard for account names was your initials. When I became active on USENET (a distributed system of forums called newsgroups) back in the late '80s that became my account name there.

When I started using these new fangled web forums I stuck with nrc. These days if I register for a forum it's usually as Roland or RolandGunner after the Warren Zevon song "Roland The Headless Thompson Gunner".

SteveH
10-04-06, 04:14 PM
Since I've been called out by the thread starter, I guess I have to answer.

Get ready with the delete button, nrc. Naw, I'll be gentle.

Let me just say that several years ago, a former girlfriend called me her favorite lizard just after a moment of ecstasy. You'll have to use your imagination.

I spel it rong to bee differunt.

:eek:

Could have been worse; skink, mud puppy, salamander. :laugh:

:p

nissan gtp
10-04-06, 04:42 PM
when I first registered at 7G, oh these many years ago, I semi-randomly picked by favorite car for my name

used it ever since

datachicane
10-04-06, 04:58 PM
I work in IT, and at the time I felt like my job was to sorta design 'chicanes' for data. Seemed like a good idea at the time, since CuC/220/BlueBayou were already bogarted.

Now I wish I'd picked something wittier, like Paragon or Yellow Flag. :tony:

rosawendel
10-04-06, 04:58 PM
I thought it had to do with your Jim Morrison fetish? Lizard King and all... :confused:

i always thought it was the taco bell chihuaua:
"here leezard leezard leezard! ....i think i'm gonna need a beegger box"

Lizzerd
10-04-06, 05:03 PM
^^^^ I thought it had to do with your Jim Morrison fetish? Lizard King and all... :confused:

I like that better than the sexual explanation... :yuck:

:confused: I never said anything sexual. :D

And I do love The Doors, being an old fart and all...

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-06, 06:16 PM
It seems you caught on in the past year.

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9488

Quit harassing my fans! :gomer:

Lizzerd
10-04-06, 08:40 PM
:eek:

Could have been worse; skink, mud puppy, salamander. :laugh:

:p

Those are amphibians. I'm a reptile.

anait
10-04-06, 09:16 PM

Are reptiles the ones with forked....um, never mind... :o

;)

RusH
10-04-06, 09:19 PM
um, well. It's my initials. Yeah, boring.

I do systems work for a living. Where I used to work the standard for account names was your initials. When I became active on USENET (a distributed system of forums called newsgroups) back in the late '80s that became my account name there.

Ever post in rec.autos.sport.indy ? I still do.:laugh: Being a late arrival on fancy web forums with moderators, I missed all the 7th gear stuff because we had our own concerned fans back then in USENET to deal with.
I had so many handles, bitter beer, Powdered Toast Man, Da Big Cheez
:gomer:
I now post there as YYZ:thumbup:

JLMannin
10-04-06, 09:27 PM
First two initials appended at the beginning of my last name.

There's always one smart-ass in the croud, isn't there? :-)

SteveH
10-04-06, 09:33 PM

dando
10-04-06, 10:03 PM
Taken from a Bloom County/Outland strip where Opus embraces the Internets..."For lo, I am reborn Dando the Internet Boy!" (pardon the paraphrase...I have the original strip in my office and my Breathed books @ home, but I'm on vacation in South Carolina.) :) And no, it has nothing to do with Evan Dando and the Lemonheads.....not that there's anything wrong with that... ;)

-Kevin

extramundane
10-04-06, 10:25 PM
Ever post in rec.autos.sport.indy ? I still do.:laugh: Being a late arrival on fancy web forums with moderators, I missed all the 7th gear stuff because we had our own concerned fans back then in USENET to deal with.
I had so many handles, bitter beer, Powdered Toast Man, Da Big Cheez
I now post there as YYZ:thumbup:

Many of us used to post there. I earned my Intarweb stripes arguing with Allan Pagan, shortly before realizing that he was 1000x more reasonable than the people who supported his series.

I also recall NRC as being one of the voices of reason back then

</adminsuckup>

RusH
10-04-06, 10:45 PM
Many of us used to post there. I earned my Intarweb stripes arguing with Allan Pagan, shortly before realizing that he was 1000x more reasonable than the people who supported his series.

</adminsuckup>

cool, so I`m not talking Greek.;) Most are gone now, Sweeney, TJMC, etc.
But I`m a diehard on Usenet, It`s a little known file transfer secret. Limewire?, Kazza? bittorrent?...meh
The binary groups rule, I`ve listened to whole albums and DVD`s there.:thumbup:
Unfortunately the discussions are down in activity these days.

Al Czervik
10-04-06, 10:50 PM
In homage to one of the great movies of all time.

Besides, Spicolli was taken :D

And I always liked the line about Spaulding:

"So this is your grandson. Great kid, wonderful kid. Now I know why tigers eat their young!"

Thought that was fittting r.e. TG.

dando
10-05-06, 12:17 AM

r u sure they dint mean Mr. Hand, or maybe Brad Hamilton? :gomer:

-Kevin

nrc
10-05-06, 01:17 AM

</adminsuckup>
Alan Pagan didn't seem to think so. :) But then Alan became one of the first examples of the Kool Aide drinkers who got screwed over by their own. :D

chop456
10-05-06, 02:28 AM
I picked random letters and numbers so I can add worthless, insulting remarks to this same lame thread that inevitably resurfaces on every internet forum about once a year. :tony:

Wheel-Nut
10-05-06, 09:29 AM
"Defender" was already taken ;)

. . . . When I was trying to come up with a username for Peter Burke's old site, it popped into my head.

do you remember a couple of users over there . . . . Mark St., Rev Limiter, Dino?

vancouver
10-05-06, 09:44 AM
No, oddlycalm, its not a family name. I am actually of East Indian descent.

My username came about when I was sorting out my holiday photos on my comp. ( I went on holiday to Vancouver and San Diego. San Diego nearly ended up as my username.)

I was sorting them out and contemplating whether to join at the same time. However, OC got the better of me and I signed up but then I was stuck for a username...

racer2c
10-05-06, 10:13 AM
No, oddlycalm, its not a family name. I am actually of East Indian descent.

My username came about when I was sorting out my holiday photos on my comp. ( I went on holiday to Vancouver and San Diego. San Diego nearly ended up as my username.)

I was sorting them out and contemplating whether to join at the same time. However, OC got the better of me and I signed up but then I was stuck for a username...

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.
Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.
Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.
Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?
Ron Burgundy: No. No.
Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.
Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

Tifosi24
10-05-06, 10:14 AM
The username is my AIM screenname from high school, and still is for that matter. I like Ferrari, so Tifosi is a natural fit and 24 is my birthday and lucky number. It is the screenname I use most places, although I was originally KatoSuperFan at 7thgear, until I forgot my password, and that is also my screenname at SpecialStage, although I haven't been over there in a very long time.

I also remember usenet back when I was in high school. The indy usenet was my first experience with online discussion and it was classic many times and I think if I posted it would be under my tennis nickname GreenGiant. The alternate history and what if usenets were also classics.

cameraman
10-05-06, 12:23 PM

Skinks are reptiles, some even having forked tongues.

Mudpuppies and salamanders are amphibians and do not have forked tongues.:(

Turn7
10-05-06, 02:13 PM
Yeah but, those waterdogs sure do shrill when you ram that hook through them and sling'em into a bass bed.

rrrrhhhhhhhqqqqqqqqqqqq.:thumbup:

Anteater
10-05-06, 10:32 PM
I named myself after my school mascot (University of California Irvine Anteaters).
As to why UCI has such an unusual mascot, read this:
http://www.cia.anteaters.com/ripemeaters.html

Ankf00
10-05-06, 10:36 PM
banana slugs & anteaters... weird ass californee hippies. :p

JT265
10-05-06, 10:54 PM
Being somewhat shy, and something of a wallflower, I thought if I appended "265" to my initials people would realize what side of the OW war I was on, being as CART/CCWS use a 2.65 liter engine. Yet somehow no one seems to get the reference.

And as if by karma, it's also the average weight (expressed in pounds) of the girls I went to high school with.

Besides, (for those that know me), I don't look like a ChrisPaff, do I?!?!?

Well.........DO I?!?!?!?!? :irked: :yuck: :yuck: :rofl:

Methanolandbrats
10-05-06, 11:24 PM
Second favorite smell + favorite food = screen name.

SteveH
10-05-06, 11:31 PM
Being somewhat shy, and something of a wallflower, I thought if I appended "265" to my initials people would realize what side of the OW war I was on, being as CART/CCWS use a 2.65 liter engine. Yet somehow no one seems to get the reference.

Who is JT256? :gomer:

dando
10-05-06, 11:38 PM

His brother the computer geek? ;)

-Kevin

skaven
10-06-06, 01:15 AM
Speaking of names, ms. skaven and I are wondering what we should name our kids. Luckily, there is a skaven random name generator out there. :thumbup:

Some examples -

Toxikch of Cripple Peak - M

Morphable the Patched - F

Fabrivolt the Electric - M

Vomitch of Putrid Stump - F

If you don't like those, there are more here.

http://us.games-workshop.com/games/warhammer/skaven/extras/name_gen/default.htm

Vomitch is kinda cute... :\

Ankf00
10-06-06, 02:04 AM
Speaking of names, ms. skaven and I are wondering what we should name our kids. Luckily, there is a skaven random name generator out there. :thumbup:

Some examples -

after seeing how you've warped that wonderful human being you call a wife, may god have mercy on your childrens' souls....

Spicoli
10-06-06, 04:33 AM

Some examples -

Girl: Annabelle

Boy: Doug

your kid will thank you later in life. my dumbass brothr names his kids funny things. they hate him now.:shakehead

Wheel-Nut
10-06-06, 09:32 AM
^^ So true. Remember kids have to go to school. School aged kids can be real mean at times, don't give the mean ones extra ammo!! Your kids will thank you.

rabbit
10-06-06, 10:20 AM
I have a buddy here at UT whose parents named him "Jewel." He's 6-4, 225 and his name is Jewel. :saywhat: (He goes by "Jay").

datachicane
10-06-06, 10:29 AM
Hey, JT, since when do Gremlins have trunks?

Gangrel
10-06-06, 01:46 PM
Gangrel has been with me a long time, and dates back to my gaming days. A clan of vampires from The Masquerade that are not too terribly far removed from wolves. Not much on social graces, very high on honor, ruthless in battle.

I have a very good kinship with animals and nature, so it was a natural fit for me. I frequent a few racing boards and a few scuba diving boards, and use this handle or variants of it on all of them. ;)

oddlycalm
10-06-06, 02:30 PM
My username came about when I was sorting out my holiday photos... Good thread vancouver. :thumbup:

BTW, we have a Vancouver around here as well. It's right across the Columbia River from Portland on the Washington State (North) side of the river just a mile or so from the track where the Champcars run. The town grew up there next to what was originally Fort Vancouver, a British frontier outpost for the Hudson Bay Company.Fort Vancouver (http://www.nps.gov/fova/historyculture/index.htm)

anait
10-06-06, 03:46 PM
Gangrel has been with me a long time, and dates back to my gaming days. A clan of vampires from The Masquerade that are not too terribly far removed from wolves. Not much on social graces, very high on honor, ruthless in battle.

I have a very good kinship with animals and nature, so it was a natural fit for me. I frequent a few racing boards and a few scuba diving boards, and use this handle or variants of it on all of them. ;)

Now, see, that's good to know. All these years I was afraid to ask if it had something to do with gangrene. :eek: :)

JT265
10-06-06, 07:37 PM

Some hater on Dolanweb. Lee's got it in for him.

Bad. Very bad. :p

JT265
10-06-06, 07:38 PM
Hey, JT, since when do Gremlins have trunks?

Since my ex bought me a Dremel tool and I found some old tin and a rivet gun. Has a cool sunroof too! Ask Spikkly. :D