PDA

View Full Version : OC NFL Eliminator Pool - Week 5 - Get Picks in by 1:00 PM ET, Sun 10/8

Insomniac
10-03-06, 04:37 PM
This is the Off Camber NFL Eliminator Pool thread for Week 5.

Rules:

Pick the winner of one game this week.
If you are right, you move on to the next week.
If you are wrong, you are eliminated.
You can only use a team once the entire season (e.g. You choose the Falcons for Week 1, that means you can not choose the Falcons again another week.)
The winner is the last man or woman standing.

How to enter:

Submit your entry by posting in this thread.
Your pick must be in before the start time for the first game of the week. (1:00 PM ET, Sun 10/8 for Week 5)
Any edits to your post after this time will result in disqualification.
If you make multiple picks in the same week, your last pick before the deadline will be used.

Insomniac
10-03-06, 04:38 PM
Current Standings

Two people were eliminated in Week 4.

Still Alive:
Ankf00 (PHI, SD, MIA, STL)
dando (ARI, BAL, PHI, DAL)
devilmaster (SEA, CHI, PHI, STL)
Dvdb (ARI, BAL, PHI, CLE)
extramundane (PHI, NO, BAL, CLE)
Gangrel (CHI, NE, PHI, STL)
greenie (ARI, DEN, MIA, PHI)
Lizzerd (SEA, SD, BAL, PHI)
nrc (SEA, CIN, BAL, PHI)
Racing Truth (NE, CHI, WAS, CLE)
skaven (SD, BAL, MIA, PHI)
TKAngel (PHI, CIN, BAL, STL)
Turn7 (NYJ, CHI, MIA, HOU)
WickerBill (NE, SD, MIA, DAL)
Willam (NE, BAL, GB, IND)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 4:
Dr. Corkski (SEA, IND, BAL, MIA)
Insomniac (SEA, BAL, WAS, MIA)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 3:
FTG (NE, IND, ATL, DAL)

Eliminated - 1 Loss - Week 1:
RacinM3 (, DEN, PHI, DAL)
Sean O'Gorman (TB, BAL, GB, CLE)
Stu (MIA, NO, BAL, CLE)

Eliminated - 2 Losses:
Al Czervik (PHI, SD, NE, )

Eliminated - 3 Losses:
racer2c (DEN, BAL, BAL, OAK)
Spicoli (IND, IND, , )

NOTE: Beginning this week I dropped anyone with no pick in 3 games.

Insomniac
10-03-06, 04:39 PM
For your convenience, here are this weeks games:

Buffalo at Chicago
Cleveland at Carolina
Detroit at Minnesota
Miami at New England
St. Louis at Green Bay
Tampa Bay at New Orleans
Tennessee at Indianapolis
Washington at N.Y. Giants
Kansas City at Arizona
N.Y. Jets at Jacksonville
Oakland at San Francisco
Dallas at Philadelphia
Pittsburgh at San Diego
Baltimore at Denver

Bye Week: Atlanta, Cincinnati, Houston, Seattle

Ankf00
10-03-06, 04:54 PM
ne

WickerBill
10-03-06, 05:15 PM
Colts.

Spicoli
10-03-06, 05:26 PM
IND. :D

Sean O'Gorman
10-03-06, 05:30 PM
St. Louis

nrc
10-03-06, 06:25 PM
Pats

greenie
10-03-06, 06:44 PM
MINDY Colts :gomer:

racer2c
10-03-06, 07:12 PM
DA BEARS.

extramundane
10-03-06, 08:37 PM
Vikings.

Lizzerd
10-03-06, 09:37 PM
I've got to go with the no-brainer this weekend. My beloved Colts.

Picking these things is going to get harder now...

Willam
10-03-06, 10:03 PM
Da Bears

Stu
10-03-06, 10:16 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20020912/nfl_panthers_vertlogo_44236.gif

dando
10-03-06, 11:52 PM
I am mIndy for $1000, Alex.

Oh, and VY. :laugh: :gomer:

-Kevin

Lizzerd
10-04-06, 12:02 AM
IND. :D

Read the rules (again), you dummy!

RacinM3
10-04-06, 11:37 AM
Chicago

skaven
10-04-06, 01:36 PM
IND... this is too easy. :gomer:

BTW, thanks for still running this even though you are elimiated Mr. Insomniac.

Insomniac
10-04-06, 03:18 PM
IND... this is too easy. :gomer:

BTW, thanks for still running this even though you are elimiated Mr. Insomniac.

Hehe, no problem. I got too cute and paid. I knew better than to trust Culpepper. I had it coming. I should've taken a more sure thing. I didn't like Cle @ Oak with the west coast trip. Wish I knew KC was going to show up. :)

Gangrel
10-04-06, 04:07 PM
Tough call....I am thinking Panthers....

FTG
10-04-06, 04:11 PM
Da Bears.

Turn7
10-06-06, 10:41 AM
Patriots

devilmaster
10-06-06, 10:57 AM
Oh when the Saints
Go marchin in
I'm gonna jump onto
that bandwagon
Oh when the Saints go marchin in.

Dvdb
10-06-06, 10:01 PM
Da Colts this weekend

TKGAngel
10-07-06, 08:49 AM
Carolina

Insomniac
10-07-06, 11:27 AM
KC. Huggies will be okay because Herm loves him.

Insomniac
10-07-06, 11:29 AM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20020912/nfl_panthers_vertlogo_44236.gif

Please also type the name of your pick (Carolina). Images could be swapped without editing posts. I'm not accusing anyone of doing this, just an integrity of the game thing.

Insomniac
10-07-06, 11:30 AM
Just a friendly reminder.

The following people have yet to make a pick and have 0 losses:
Racing Truth

People eliminated (one or more losses) who haven't made a pick:
Al Czervik
Dr. Corkski

Racing Truth
10-08-06, 10:13 AM
Geaux Saints!

I'll take New Orleans

Stu
10-08-06, 12:06 PM
Thats a good point Insomniac.

Of course I want the Panthers :)

BTW, Joey Theisman is starting for Miami. I can't tell if that makes them better or worse. :rofl:

Ankf00
10-08-06, 12:28 PM
Fox's NFL show just...

well it just...

I mean...

it sucks. I mean it suck diddly ucks Flanders, sucks.

Insomniac
10-08-06, 06:07 PM
Thats a good point Insomniac.

Of course I want the Panthers :)

BTW, Joey Theisman is starting for Miami. I can't tell if that makes them better or worse. :rofl:

I guess better? They always play NE tough, so it's hard to know for sure.

Insomniac
10-08-06, 06:08 PM
Fox's NFL show just...

well it just...

I mean...

Most if them do IMO. I record Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN and the CBS one. I skip through most of both. I like Casserly on CBS and Mort on ESPN. I wish NFL Matchup was 2 hours long before kickoff.

dando
10-08-06, 09:25 PM
Fox's NFL show just...

well it just...

I mean...

Yeah, but that one time, in band camp, when Jillian and Pamela did the show together.... :gomer: :yuck: :shakehead

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-09-06, 11:35 AM
Most if them do IMO. I record Sunday NFL Countdown on ESPN and the CBS one. I skip through most of both. I like Casserly on CBS and Mort on ESPN. I wish NFL Matchup was 2 hours long before kickoff.

true, but I just wanted to note the difference between a "bleh" show and a "I want to drill 8 inch deck screws through my temple" show :)

p.s. Dallas <---:laugh:

Insomniac
10-09-06, 01:28 PM
Dallas <---:laugh:

Drew Bledsoe, can count on a pick in the red zone when it matters.

BTW--I hate the media. They go on and on about T.O. on FOX, taking every opportunioty to show where he's lined up. Every close up after every play meant to go his way. Go on and on about his "attitude". Okay, we get it, you hate T.O. It's funny because they worship someone like Ray Lewis. Or Chad Johnson who choked a coach and took a swing at the head coach. Ugh...this makes me mad just thinking about it.

Ankf00
10-09-06, 01:34 PM
yea, it's the same way w/ bonds.

TO's deal with the star at Texas Stadium? ok, pretty obnoxious, but it's not like visiting teams don't stomp on the home team's midfield logo in college all the time, the home team then gets ramped up and whups up. A non-story.

But with TO all of Bristol shuts down, just like with the sharpie incident. Salisbury is frying him on-air after TO burns Shawn Springs for TDs then signs the football for their mutual agent's friend, and TO keeps responding to Salisbury's "you've made a mockery of this game" with "what controversy? the only controversy is you trying to turn it into one." Joe Horn, Chad Johnson, et al all have ridiculous TD celebrations, how is the sharpie incident any worse?

And TO was right, ESPN just wanted to turn it into a story. Jason Whitlock wrote a column in the KC Star about why he was kicked off of ESPN, one reason being he wouldn't toe the line with the network on the Bonds witchhunt, The Sports Reporters guys were pissed at him for one segment he did on air because he didn't join in with them.

ESPN == everything that is wrong with sports. From Shelly Smith's dorm room on USC campus last year to TO's ER episode last week to Poker to Hot Dog Eating.

nrc
10-09-06, 02:21 PM
Or Chad Johnson who choked a coach and took a swing at the head coach. Ugh...this makes me mad just thinking about it.
The rumor of a physical confrontation was denied. Chad blew up, but you can't even remotely compare his atitude to TO.

Insomniac
10-09-06, 02:46 PM
The rumor of a physical confrontation was denied. Chad blew up, but you can't even remotely compare his atitude to TO.

Why not?

Throws a tantrum when not getting the ball:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2006/09/30/ddn093006bengals.html

Wanted a new contract even though he had one already:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464

In fact, he hired Rosenhaus to get that for him. He signs an extension in 2003 for his rookie deal that was to end at the end of 2004. He's signed through 2009 at that time. Then at the end of the 2005 season gets his deal (completed 2 years, 4 years left) re-done.

TD celebrations with props.

Insomniac
10-09-06, 02:49 PM
yea, it's the same way w/ bonds.

Heh, Bonds. I don't care what anyone says, look at pictures when he played for Pittsburgh and now. Your head does not grow that much. The fact that people can throw so much stuff out there to make you think he didn't use them is funny. But in the end, it wasn't even illegal in baseball anyway. They just don't want it on record they did it.

Ankf00
10-09-06, 02:56 PM
oh yea, he juiced, definitely, but he's the devil, anyone else who juiced, well, *shrug*

Ankf00
10-09-06, 02:57 PM
Why not? because Chad plays for the Bengals :gomer:

Insomniac
10-09-06, 03:09 PM
oh yea, he juiced, definitely, but he's the devil, anyone else who juiced, well, *shrug*

Hehe, that's true. They've pretty much left McGwire alone. Even after everyone saw how small he was when testifying before Congress. It's sad for me. When I was growing up, out little league league used MLB teams for their teams. So, obviously, everyone wanted to play for the Red Sox (I grew up in Massachusetts). I ended up playiong for the A's and having not really paid attention to sports on TV at all, they became my favorite team. So, I followed guys like Ricky Henderson, Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire (by followed, I mean collected their baseball cards). Now it turns out, those two cheated. Not sure if they did in Oakland, but they started at some point. Of course now, I'm just a Red Sox fan who enjoyed the Yankee melt down. :)

WickerBill
10-09-06, 07:49 PM
That's because he's chasing one of the biggest records in baseball. McGwire isn't. If Clemens were about to pass the record for most wins, you better believe he'd be under a lot more scrutiny.

nrc
10-09-06, 08:27 PM
Why not?

Throws a tantrum when not getting the ball:
http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/oh/story/sports/pro/bengals/2006/09/30/ddn093006bengals.html

He has a different attitude. He respects his teammates and coach and he knows that he's not bigger than the team or the game. From your own cite:
"Look, I know that no one's bigger than the game, and trust me, the game's still gonna go on whether 85's out there or not. I don't care who I am or what I've done on the field."

Wanted a new contract even though he had one already:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2415464
Lots of players renegotiate contracts. When the Bengals renewed T.J. Houshmandzadeh it made sense to renegoatiate to pay Chad appropriately. Chad didn't disrupt the team over it and the Bengals got him for two more years at what may turn out to be a bargain price once all the dust settles from the new player agreement.

Insomniac
10-10-06, 07:10 AM
He has a different attitude. He respects his teammates and coach and he knows that he's not bigger than the team or the game. From your own cite:

Lots of players renegotiate contracts. When the Bengals renewed T.J. Houshmandzadeh it made sense to renegoatiate to pay Chad appropriately. Chad didn't disrupt the team over it and the Bengals got him for two more years at what may turn out to be a bargain price once all the dust settles from the new player agreement.

I'm not quite sure where shoving your coach and taking a swing at another is respect, but if you think so.

Do you really think the team approached him and offered up a raise with 4 years left on his contract? He wanted more money after just signing a new deal 2 years before. He went about it quietly (just like T.O. did to start with). The only difference being the Bengals bent over and the Philly F.O. said no. Then T.O. went to the public with it.

I don't know what you consider lots of players, but I'd be surprised if more than 1 or 2 a year get new contracts or extensions with 4 years remaining on their contract.

chop456
10-10-06, 07:37 AM

I used that one on my next door neighbor the other day. He's Ned to my Homer. :D

BTW, Bledsoe blamed that pick on Owens running the wrong pattern. :gomer:

WickerBill
10-10-06, 07:44 AM
I'd take Chad Johnson a thousand times out of a thousand over Owens to be a presence in my locker room. Younger, much smarter, talks without causing much animosity (if anything, opposing coaches LIKE him), opposing fans enjoy him immensely (outside Pittsburgh), extremely talented, wants to win, celebrates when Housh scores (as opposed to slamming his helmet down when Glenn scores).... it's not really a fair comparison *at all*.

nrc
10-10-06, 09:12 AM
I'm not quite sure where shoving your coach and taking a swing at another is respect, but if you think so.
You can believe what you like, but everyone involved has denied it.

Chad's attitude is entirely different. There's no malice to it. I don't know who approached who about renegotiating his contract (don't care). He deserved more money, he got more money along with an extention. There was no hold-out or disruption to the team.

Johnson wanted his deal out of the headlines and Rosenhaus obliged. He met every Johnson contract question at the Super Bowl, combine, and NFL annual meeting these past few months with, “no comment.”

Of course, he also had Johnson pushing him and Johnson put aside the guarantees, gold teeth, cornerback schedule, and the celebrations, and went mum on his contract. He wanted to stay in Cincinnati and keep the team together, but he also wanted to be paid worthy of being the top receiver in the game but didn’t want to do it with any threats of holdouts.

“He wanted to keep it upbeat and positive,” Rosenhaus said. “He wanted to get it done behind closed doors and he wanted to do it now. Before the (coaching sessions) and minicamps so he and the team can concentrate on football. I give Chad a lot of credit for that.”

Johnson wanted a new deal last offseason, but the Bengals didn’t have the juice after securing deals for wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh and running back Rudi Johnson. Johnson opted not to go the T.O.-holdout-ESPN route and didn’t say a cent about his contract during a season he racked up his third straight AFC receiving yardage total with a club record 1,432 yards.
http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5207

Insomniac
10-10-06, 01:07 PM
I'd take Chad Johnson a thousand times out of a thousand over Owens to be a presence in my locker room. Younger, much smarter, talks without causing much animosity (if anything, opposing coaches LIKE him), opposing fans enjoy him immensely (outside Pittsburgh), extremely talented, wants to win, celebrates when Housh scores (as opposed to slamming his helmet down when Glenn scores).... it's not really a fair comparison *at all*.

I agree. I really wasn't trying to say Chad Johnson is as bad as T.O. My point was the media. They love Chad and rip on T.O. But some of those things T.O. did, Chad also does. I was speaking to their bias and playing favorites.

Ankf00
10-10-06, 01:11 PM

and Bonds never juiced...

Insomniac
10-10-06, 01:20 PM

Chad's attitude is entirely different. There's no malice to it. I don't know who approached who about renegotiating his contract (don't care). He deserved more money, he got more money along with an extention. There was no hold-out or disruption to the team.

You can also believe nothing happened even though Chad admitted something did after denying it. :)

Right, you see Chad's attitude as playful and joking. Him doing the Ray Lewis dance after scoring a TD was a good joke. T.O. standing on the star, not so funny, it was disrespectful. T.O. signing a ball was disgusting. It embarrases the league. Chad Johnson pulling out signs or searching for his Santa sack, that's just fun. Chad demanding the ball, team player. He wants to help the team. T.O. demanding the ball is selfish. Chad Johnson wanting a new contract with 4 years remaining, he deserved it. T.O. wanting a new contract with 6 years remaining is greedy.

Does that cover it? That's what the media says. What really is the difference there? That's my whole point. The media gives Chad a pass when T.O. doesn't get one. I know T.O. has a long list of other things like negotiating through the media and sparring with his QBs.

Also, do you believe there would be no holdout or distraction to the team if they played hardball with him? If they said, "no, you just signed a 6 year deal and have 4 years left." Deion Branch, by all apperances was the perfect team player. He was also very quiet and respectful in every interview I ever saw. He said he was not going to holdout or be a distraction. He'd play out the final year of his contract if that was how it was going to play out. And when he didn't get that extension, you saw what happened.

Look, I'm not trying to lump Chad in with T.O. T.O. is another level of trouble, primarily because he doesn't know when to shut up. But, my main point at the beginning was media bias and playing favorites. Chad gets the support of the media.

WickerBill
10-10-06, 03:15 PM
When it happened -- keep that caviat in mind -- people laughed their butts off at the Sharpie and the pom-cheer routine. Both were after the star incident. In my mind, as Owens became more and more venomous, the press sorta got the opposite of rose-colored glasses.

If Chad gets the same way three years from now, his riverdance and his proposal will be called the worst thing ever done. Doesn't mean they were, it just means that the current reflection of the player is poor.

Ankf00
10-10-06, 03:23 PM
When it happened -- keep that caviat in mind -- people laughed their butts off at the Sharpie and the pom-cheer routine. Both were after the star incident. In my mind, as Owens became more and more venomous, the press sorta got the opposite of rose-colored glasses.

not on my end, I never watched much TV while in school other than games, but I remember being around the house watching the studios in Bristol absolutely melt down for an entire week after the sharpie thing. Immolation comes to mind.

Salisbury tried to crucify TO on-air the next day with TO saying "it's only y'all in the media making a big deal out of it" TO was anything but arrogant & over the line during that time.

Insomniac
10-10-06, 03:36 PM

Maybe Al Michaels didn't go Joe Buck on him, but people in the media were pretty upset and outraged shortly after. Myabe they got in line behind the NFL as they often do (notice the calls for a huge suspension on Haynesworth are now replaced by Goodell doing a good job). The media was on him already that year for yelling at a coach while on the sideline.

One thing I won't forget, and T.O. is 100% right on is that they even found a way to vilify him for playing in the Super Bowl. It's amazing a guy breaks his leg, busts his tail to get back on the field despite his doctor publically saying he is not in favor it and has 9 catches for about 100yds and he's the selfish one. :rolleyes: I mean, he can't do anything right. If he does something right, it must be an act. Almost any other player is labeled a team player, brave, willing to risk his career to help his team win the Super Bowl. T.O. is selfish.

nrc
10-10-06, 03:38 PM
If Chad gets the same way three years from now, his riverdance and his proposal will be called the worst thing ever done. Doesn't mean they were, it just means that the current reflection of the player is poor.Exactly. it's all about attitude. Chad isn't perfect, but ultimately he has a good attitude and I really haven't seen him do anything vindictive.

On the Ray Lewis dance, I think that was TO.

The media love affair continues...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=naI8Ao0GOeU

Insomniac
10-10-06, 04:11 PM
On the Ray Lewis dance, I think that was TO.

My bad. I must've confused the jig dance with that. Which was a dig at Urlacher if I'm not mistaken.